• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Ideas . . . Ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Renu,

I wrote the occasion when it is worn first because Tambrahm girls get six silk sarees for the two day wedding.

1. Vratham (First day morning)

2. NichayathArtham (First day evening)

3. Oonjal (Wedding day morning - This is bought by maternal uncle(s) )

4. Koorai pudavai (during mAngalyadhAraNam and following rituals - bought by the Groom's parents)

5. GruhapravEsam (now a days, when Bride goes to the Groom's room in the mandapam)

6. Nuptials saree!! ;)

hi

just info....for my marriage in delhi in 80s....my MIL got 6 silk saress from kanchipuram for my wife for the marriage day...

she went to kancheepuram from delhi just for sarees only...ONLY FOR TWO DAYS SHOW....

During my sons wedding at delhi, my better half gave silk sarees to all women of both her and my extended family for taking the trouble and travelling large distances to

attend the wedding

Rule -Not so well off should get the most expensive sarees.Secondly , the more senior in age should get light weight silk sarees that they could wear comfortably.

We prefer to look after all seniors , most occupying the front chairs in mandapams which have senior citizen friendly facilities for driving in and out.

Senior citizens are the only one who enjoy weddings these days other than the two getting married.

During my sons wedding at delhi, my better half gave silk sarees to all women of both her and my extended family for taking the trouble and travelling large distances to

attend the wedding

Rule -Not so well off should get the most expensive sarees.Secondly , the more senior in age should get light weight silk sarees that they could wear comfortably.

We prefer to look after all seniors , most occupying the front chairs in mandapams which have senior citizen friendly facilities for driving in and out.

Senior citizens are the only one who enjoy weddings these days other than the two getting married.

hi sir

LOL.....

... Senior citizens are the only one who enjoy weddings these days other than the two getting married.
Yeah, if the seniors are the invitees! They won't have to run around. :couch2:

They will get front seats and can have waves of 'malarum ninaivugaL' !
! :cool:

Dear Renu,

I wrote the occasion when it is worn first because Tambrahm girls get six silk sarees for the two day wedding.

4. Koorai pudavai (during mAngalyadhAraNam and following rituals - bought by the Groom's parents)

5. GruhapravEsam (now a days, when Bride goes to the Groom's room in the mandapam)

6. Nuptials saree!! ;)

Dear RR Ji.

For me I got 2 sarees..one for engagement and another for wedding.
Both bought by Groom.

Dear Renu,

Some groom's moms (like me)
are so good that they buy NichayathArtham, Koorai and GruhapravEsam sarees for the bride!

BTW, I forgot the seventh one which is Reception saree. But now a days, many brides wear ghAgrA chOli for that occasion. :cool:

hi

nice zarigai.....nice color too...wide border...looks good..

Thank You

OK, Daksha! Because you ask me! Koorai pudavai is wowsome!! :clap2:

Thank You

Get it...its the wedding saree.

I always joke with husband..I tell him that I will only wear the saree twice in my life..that is 1st worn during the wedding and 2nd time would be at my funeral!LOL

Any saree that is worn during tying the knot is considered Kurai Pudavai I think,

Don't you'll have the concept of Kurai Pudavai

Last edited by a moderator:
hi

nice zarigai.....nice color too...wide border...looks good..

OK, Daksha! Because you ask me! Koorai pudavai is wowsome!! :clap2:

Dear Renu,

6. Nuptials saree!! ;)

There was some confusion who buys what ??

Dear Renu,

Some groom's moms (like me)
are so good that they buy NichayathArtham, Koorai and GruhapravEsam sarees for the bride!

BTW, I forgot the seventh one which is Reception saree. But now a days, many brides wear ghAgrA chOli for that occasion. :cool:

I thought it was a must that the groom has to buy the Koorai !!

Thank You

Thank You

Any saree that is worn during tying the knot is considered Kurai Pudavai I think,

Don't you'll have the concept of Kurai Pudavai

Surely there is a saree worn during tying the knot but I did not know it was called Kurai Pudavai...its called Kalyanam Selai here.

Surely there is a saree worn during tying the knot but I did not know it was called Kurai Pudavai...its called Kalyanam Selai here.

I think it depends when you switch to the Koorai pudavai,

i think this concept comes into play where the saree is sent around the guests for blessing and it is provided to the bride from the groom !!

I think it depends when you switch to the Koorai pudavai,

i think this concept comes into play where the saree is sent around the guests for blessing and it is provided to the bride from the groom !!

Oh..
That Saree?

I get it now..its same yaar..its called Kalyanam Saree by my family.

The saree one has to change into finally before Thali is secured on neck.

I personally wish this tradition to switch was not there cos its so cumbersome to change saree and then rush to get Thali tied.

But in my tradition..groom pays for everything..both my sarees and 2 sets of gold jewelry..one for engagement and other for wedding.

Groom also buys garment for my brother who will be the Mappillai Tholan and also buy saree and garment for my mum and dad.

Last edited:
Yeah! But the other sarees are bought by the bride's side, in many cases!

That was the case with me as well!!!

But when it comes to the groom having to pay

It is the Srilankan Jaffna Tamils who take it to another level, I had a few of friends when I did my PG.

They easily spend around 100,000 /= on saree, and when it comes to Thaali they don't do it like us on a yellow thread,they a Thaali Kodi for which is made from minimum of 8 sovregines to on average around 25 to 30 sovregines and in some cases upto 50-60 ???

Now that there is a talk about idlis and vazhi idlis in another thread, here is one more tip to make soft idlis.

I already gave the proportion to make the idli / dOsA batter as idli rice : urad dhal : aval (pohA) = 4 : 1 : 1/2

I replaced aval with left over rice cooked for lunch (I make the batter in the evening) and the idlis are super soft! :thumb:

Just soak 1/2 cup of left over cooked rice in quarter cup of water and add while grinding idli batter.

I grind all the ingredients together. No mess; no fuss! :peace:

Now that there is a talk about idlis and vazhi idlis in another thread, here is one more tip to make soft idlis.

I already gave the proportion to make the idli / dOsA batter as idli rice : urad dhal : aval (pohA) = 4 : 1 : 1/2

I replaced aval with left over rice cooked for lunch (I make the batter in the evening) and the idlis are super soft! :thumb:

Just soak 1/2 cup of left over cooked rice in quarter cup of water and add while grinding idli batter.

hi

but in our house idli making.....ONLY MESS...ONLY FUSS...NO OPTION....LOL

Any good recipe for a perfect Paper Rost.

My favourite, although we have not got a pan that wide to make one.?????

Any good recipe for a perfect Paper Rost. .....
Paper roast is the all time favorite for many, including me! :love:

Daksha! You can try the proportion I have given, with aval (pohA). The batter should not be thick or very thin.

A dabarA (flat bottom) for spreading the batter on the pan will give an evenly spread paper roast!

In fact, I make two-in-one batter; use thick one- should not fall as a string if poured down from the ladle- for idlis

and slightly thinner batter for dOsAs. :cool:

P.S: I bought two pans of 14'' diameter in IKEA store, when I visited Boston last year. So, yummy roasts always!! :thumb:

Paper roast is the all time favorite for many, including me! :love:

Daksha! You can try the proportion I have given, with aval (pohA). The batter should not be thick or very thin.

A dabarA (flat bottom) for spreading the batter on the pan will give an evenly spread paper roast!

In fact, I make two-in-one batter; use thick one- should not fall as a string if poured down from the ladle- for idlis

and slightly thinner batter for dOsAs. :cool:

P.S: I bought two pans of 14'' diameter in IKEA store, when I visited Boston last year. So, yummy roasts always!! :thumb:

Getting the thickness of the batter is risky, if it becomes too thin , it will stick to the pan & start to break.

I have seen in restaurants they used to scrap the top off, with a blade like thing.

Practice makes perfect, Daksha! And..... I have enough practice! :thumb:

Soon I will !!!!

But I am not a fan of Iddly ??

Besides if the iddly is not soft it's awful ??

I used eat out when I used to work & some iddly restaurants serve is like a stone ???

Squatting stools have becoming popular in the West since it is found that sitting in the toilet in the Indian way is THE best!! :thumb:

But, no need to waste money on a new stool for this purpose. Plastic stools with 10 inches height are available at a lower cost. :cool:

They work as good as sqatting stools. Tested and guaranteed!! ;)

I make ice cream using milk and bread.

One big slice bread for one glass of milk and 4 table spoons of sugar.

Method: Boil milk; add bread slice and cook in low flame till it becomes a thick paste; add sugar;

cool down; add flavour; blend in a mixer grinder for one minute; pour in a try; keep in freezer till it

hardens! Colour is optional. I like cardamom flavour and so I add a few crushed cardamom seeds

for flavour and don't add any food color.

And............ when one of my forum friends visited us with his cute wife, I prepared this type of ice cream,

replacing one slice of bread with 3 marie biscuits! Same cardamom flavour and it tasted like kulfi and we

all enjoyed it! :hungry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back