• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

I do not want to eat garlic and onion but my whole family eats it

I am going to become a vaishnava so I should not eat garlic and onion but my whole family eats it(We are pure vegetarians).How do I make them understand not to eat garlic and onion

Simple. Make only food the way you want it. Others can eat or go out and eat it.
My friend a Jain is married to a non-jain. One day she became very religious and now only eats and cooks Jain food.
Tuff luck to others.
I do not think it is fair.

I am going to become a vaishnava so I should not eat garlic and onion but my whole family eats it(We are pure vegetarians).How do I make them understand not to eat garlic and onion

Simple!
Only you need to understand why you preferred not to eat garlic and onion.
I am veg too and used to eat onion and garlic before but very little and I just lost the taste for it and I dont eat it at all now but I dont view it as a virtue or being spiritual but just as a dietary preference of my body now.

So what you can do is let others listen to their on body..if they still want to eat garlic and onion its fine as long each know what they want.

Your body says "no onion and garlic"..so follow your path and they follow their path.
Imposing ourselves on others isnt ahimsa anyway and defeats the purpose of avoiding garlic/onion and unless one is Count Dracula, others should not have problems with garlic.

BTW to be only taking high prana food..go off coffee too cos actually coffee isnt fully conducive for any mental health cos it decreases the blood supply to the brain.

Last edited:
Variety is the spice of life ( loko binna ruchi) says Kalidasa. Our taste differs. This applies to our families as well. In your case you may have to request your family members to prepare your food without garlic and onion or you may have to cook your food . In Hindu temples as a general rule “no onion, no meat, no garlic, no fish, no egg, no mushroom” is followed. They are strictly vegetarian.
Interestingly in South strict vegetarianism is known as Saivam சைவம் but in North India its called Suddh-Vashnava சுத்த - வைஷ்ணவ.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

In our family too, there are a few who avoid garlic and onion on grounds of orthodoxy.

I too am a strict vegetarian and avoid even cake but I personally feel that if milk and honey, which are both animal products, can be certified clean why this taboo against onion and garlic especially when these are known to be good for health. I am not ready to accept the common belief that these stir up baser instincts in people.

In our family too, there are a few who avoid garlic and onion on grounds of orthodoxy.

I too am a strict vegetarian and avoid even cake but I personally feel that if milk and honey, which are both animal products, can be certified clean why this taboo against onion and garlic especially when these are known to be good for health. I am not ready to accept the common belief that these stir up baser instincts in people.

Actually its not been explained properly and words like "stir up baser instincts " do make it sound very judgmental.

From what I read before that certain types of food have a lower prana index that sort of make the mind a tad bit less receptive to finer tuning of a spiritual kind.

Even the much loved Coffee comes under this becos it actually restricts the blood supply to the brain.
When we treat a migrane which is due to dilatation of the blood vessels we prescribe caffeine and ergotamine tablets too to make the blood vessels constrict as to decrease the throbbing of the headache.

Now imagine if we take coffee daily..it does cause vasoconstriction and slight dependency on it and lack of perfusion of finer matter in brain.

But at the same time coffee does have its benefits to the body in terms of anti oxidants etc.

same with garlic and onion they do have medicinal properties but at the same time it is not high on the Prana scale as in its less conducive for finer tuning of the mind for a spiritual aspirant but its fine for a person who would like to lead a just normal life.

Its just like how some people who wants more protein eat non veg and some dont.
Prana count of non veg food is lower becos the energy of non veg is second level but veg food is 1st level energy becos its stores energy direct from the sun.

Its all logic finally and up to us to choose what we prefer or what our body tells us to choose.

Latest ads

Back