• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How should a brahmin be an example in today's environment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tamil brahmins web site can contribute very much in redefining the role of brahmins in today's world.
If simple living and high thinking are the two essentials of brahminism in those good old days,
they have a lot of relevance today also.

Each brahmin should do sandhyavandanam daily.
Yoga is a necessary supplement to be in unison with the Lord.
Meditation, calmness of mind, and cultivating the mind to desist from worldly assets should make the true brahmin.

Teaching vedantas , Gita and Upanishads , Bhajagovindam which have relevance to leading a simple life should be practised.
Brahmins should travel in bicycles and go around teaching good living principles.
We should practise more of selflessness especially in the matter of acquiring more and more possessions.

We should not take non-vegetarian food,
we should not consume alcohol
we should not eat junk food.
we should not spend more money on dress and attire.
we should possess only one house.
we should not possess luxury cars and similar worldly pretensions.
we should have the least ego amongst all citizens of the country.
we should be very humble. we should be very polite.
we should be always speak little.
we should not speak ill of others.
we should always think about the 'Brahman'
and teach our community how best to go towards the 'Brahman'.

Just by making and consuming
Ukkarai during divali ,
Pori during kartikai,
Noyambu adai during Noyambu,
Kozhakkattai during chaturti,
Thengai saadam, thayir sadam during 18 aam perukku
we do not become brahmins.
It is a mockery on brahminism if we do only that !

If we are still a comfortable society today, it is because of the way our predecessors lived a simple life.
despite proximity to the royal families.
We have never had any greed for worldly possessions.

If each of us do not attempt during our life to attain the 'Brahman' there is no meaning in calling ourselves brahmins.
we are beasts like others.
There is no need to form another group of beasts.
We can wind up the forum.

Shri Balak,

You may well know that if a drop of poison falls into a pot of good milk, the entire milk will become poison. In a like manner, your otherwise nice post contains the following poison, imho.

"we are beasts like others.
There is no need to form another group of beasts."

It will be very instructive and useful if you can cite the scripture/s which endorse or approve the above idea of yours.

FYI, I am a 72 year old tabra from Kerala, who was orthodox in the usual sense and who has become an "agnostic" during the last few years. I was told that AdiSankara seeing Lord Siva in the guise of a Chandala with dogs to accompany, shows the presence of divinity even in Chandalas. If, as per your view, all others are beasts, does not it mean that even in the beast-like Chandala, Divinity is present?

Kindly introspect.

Sir,
Why is your definition of Brahmin way should be superior to any other brahmins.
Let us say a Saraswat Brahmin eats fish.
Similarly there are other brahmins who do not live by your standards.
Why can I not live by my standards?

Except veg or non-veg, the list is applicable to all irrespective of any caste. I would request Mr.Balak 223 to read CHO"s YARR Brahmanan.

Tamil brahmins web site can contribute very much in redefining the role of brahmins in today's world.
If simple living and high thinking are the two essentials of brahminism in those good old days,
they have a lot of relevance today also.

Each brahmin should do sandhyavandanam daily.
Yoga is a necessary supplement to be in unison with the Lord.
Meditation, calmness of mind, and cultivating the mind to desist from worldly assets should make the true brahmin.

Teaching vedantas , Gita and Upanishads , Bhajagovindam which have relevance to leading a simple life should be practised.
Brahmins should travel in bicycles and go around teaching good living principles.
We should practise more of selflessness especially in the matter of acquiring more and more possessions.

We should not take non-vegetarian food,
we should not consume alcohol
we should not eat junk food.
we should not spend more money on dress and attire.
we should possess only one house.
we should not possess luxury cars and similar worldly pretensions.
we should have the least ego amongst all citizens of the country.
we should be very humble. we should be very polite.
we should be always speak little.
we should not speak ill of others.
we should always think about the 'Brahman'
and teach our community how best to go towards the 'Brahman'.

Just by making and consuming
Ukkarai during divali ,
Pori during kartikai,
Noyambu adai during Noyambu,
Kozhakkattai during chaturti,
Thengai saadam, thayir sadam during 18 aam perukku
we do not become brahmins.
It is a mockery on brahminism if we do only that !

If we are still a comfortable society today, it is because of the way our predecessors lived a simple life.
despite proximity to the royal families.
We have never had any greed for worldly possessions.

If each of us do not attempt during our life to attain the 'Brahman' there is no meaning in calling ourselves brahmins.

Are you a Brahmin? do you have Kudumi, always wear Panchaktacham? Do you follow all these narrated by you?
In what way you are better than those who are not born in TB community? Do you travel by Cycle always? why ?
The Milk you are using for morning coffee is itself a non vegetaraian item, so also your tooth paste contains an animal product; do you know that?
In What way Tamil Brahmins are far superior than other state Brahmins?

Finally Who are you tell about winding up this forum?

Last edited:

Dear Sir,

I was reading each sentence of yours and I was thinking Ok..you are asking everyone to follow a dedicated,selfless lifestyle with the mind solely directed towards God.

But when I read your last line ...We are beasts like others

All what you wrote above before that line lost its value.

A person who has Brahman in his mind will be singing:

Na Me Mrityu Shanka Na Me Jati Bhedah
Pita Naiva Me Naiva Mata Na Janma
Na Bandhur Na Mitram Gurur Naiva Shishyah
Chidananda Rupa Shivoham Shivoham

and will not call others Beasts.

So my dear..looks as if just like anyone of us here you still have a long way to go..so what are you preaching about?

BTW what is this about Brahmin going about on a bicycle?

I thought a True Brahmana is supposed to go about on foot.

Last edited:
Dear Balak223

Once in a way, we can do with some humor. Wow! Great!

There used to be "Guru" who used to give un-solicited guidance to a lady Doctor
[ in Malaysia ], on this forum. Fantastic to find an On-Line Guru.

Any takers for E Nirvana ? - nah, not me. Which form do you want closed ' Terrible Beasts Forum "
or the other TB Forum that we are accustomed to? Beats me !

Yay Yem

Dear Balak223

Once in a way, we can do with some humor. Wow! Great!

There used to be "Guru" who used to give un-solicited guidance to a lady Doctor
[ in Malaysia ], on this forum. Fantastic to find an On-Line Guru.

Any takers for E Nirvana ? - nah, not me. Which form do you want closed ' Terrible Beasts Forum "
or the other TB Forum that we are accustomed to? Beats me !

Yay Yem

Shri Manohar,

The above is not humour but cowardly innuendo, imo. Hence I feel no "form" needs to be closed down but only this thread, if Shri Praveen agrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back