• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How India’s ancient myths are being rewritten

prasad1

I reposting an older article.​

British Museum Indian myths (Credit: British Museum)
British Museum
Indian myths (Credit: British Museum)
Modern writers are retelling India’s legendary Hindu tales – often through a feminist lens. Why is this important? Akanksha Singh takes a look.

Storytelling is an innately human quality; one that crosses cultures and languages. Just as my sister and I huddled together as children while our mother read to us each night, so too did our forebears. “We do not lend the hearth quite the importance that our ancestors did, Greek or otherwise,” Stephen Fry writes in Mythos: The Greek Myths Retold. It was the hearth where ancient humans gathered to keep warm, and as they did they talked, sang and laughed. In other words, they told stories. Myths are the most fulfilling form of storytelling: they serve to document events; explain the unexplainable; to operate as manuals for morality.

While myths are being made new, they grow to represent both the worlds they were set in and today. Take for example the figures of Eve, Madonna, Helen, and Penelope – all embodiments of women invented by men. “Words, our primary agent of expression,” Christine C Keating points out in her essay, Unearthing the Goddess Within: “signify a discourse that has been established by a patriarchic myth.” We were given these characters, with their beauty and flaws, by men. And while feminist revisionist literature has tackled the issue, it’s never been more important – in a post-#MeToo world – to imagine new characters and rethink existing ones. Language has evolved to consider everything from the uniqueness of the feminine experience to what it means to be female anatomically. And in literature there has been a resurgence of feminist retellings of myths, especially in Classical mythology. In the original version of Virgil's The Aeneid, Lavinia never speaks; in Ursula K Le Guin’s 2008 version, she is the titular character, this time with a voice. And Madeline Miller’s Circe and Pat Barker’s The Silence of the Girls both made the shortlist for the Women’s Prize for Fiction this year.

A similar change is happening in India. The only difference here is that stories from Hindu mythology born thousands of years ago – including religious epics like the Ramayana and the Mahabharata – remain largely unchanged compared to the ones told in India today. Hinduism is one of the world’s oldest surviving religions: its teachings, legends and myths are integrated into the culture, the education system, and the society at large. And since Hinduism has existed (and continues to exist) within the borders of what is modern-day India, it is inevitable that lines are blurred. You’ll find festivals like Diwali and Holi being celebrated by everyone – not just Hindus. Where Hindu women wore mangalsutras (wedding necklaces) instead of wedding bands, Christian women (notably in Mangalore) adopted this tradition. And much like children study the Greeks, Hindu mythology is taught in schools.

‘Drastic shifts’

A decade ago, the Ramayana – the story of the prince, Rama – was fairly standard. At the request of his stepmother, Rama is exiled for 14 years by his father Dasaratha, the king of Ayodhya. Rama and his wife Sita live in the forest, with his stepbrother Laksmana. When Sita is abducted by the King of Lanka, a demon with 10 heads named Ravana, Rama goes through extreme efforts to save his wife, kill Ravana, and return to his kingdom on a new-moon night. To welcome him, the villagers of the kingdom light lamps and candles. A family is reunited and good has triumphed over evil. On the same new moon each year, Hindus celebrate Diwali. While some versions change certain mechanisms within the plot – in one version, Sita is Ravana’s daughter, for example – the nuts and bolts of the plot remain the same. Recent years, however, have seen drastic shifts in Hindu, myth-centric literature. These shifts all stem from retelling age-old tales through a feminist lens.

British Museum This scene from the Ramayana depicts Sita undergoing the ordeal by fire to test her chastity (Credit: British Museum)
British Museum
This scene from the Ramayana depicts Sita undergoing the ordeal by fire to test her chastity (Credit: British Museum)
Take, for instance, the Panchakanya or ‘Five Virgins’ – five iconic heroines from mythology who are enshrined in a Sanskrit verse that reads: “Ahalya, Draupadi, Kunti, Tara, Mandodari tatha / Panchakanya smaren nityam, mahapatak naashaka.” Roughly translated, it reads: “Ahalya, Draupadi, Kunti, Tara and Mandodari / Invoking daily the virgins five / Destroys the greatest sins.”

Of the five virgins, Kunti and Draupadi are characters from the Mahabharata, and Ahalya, Tara, and Mandodari are from the Ramayana. None of these five women are actually virgins: their ‘scandalous’ stories, of polyandry and public disrobing (Draupadi); manipulation of men and kingdoms (Kunti); origins as celestial nymphs and demons (Tara and Mandodari) and adultery and punishment (Ahalya) were largely seen – until recently – as cautionary tales.

It is no surprise that modern retellings of stories from the Ramayana are told from Sita’s point of view
The ultimate bar for the ‘good housewife’ in the Indian Hindu context remains Sita – the subservient wife of Rama who follows him into exile in the jungle. But, as Linda Hess points out in Rejecting Sita: Indian Responses to the Ideal Man's Cruel Treatment of His Ideal Wife, there are great differences in the bars set for these characters: “[At] the end of the great war between [Rama] and the demons, [Sita] must undergo a test of chastity that requires her to throw herself into a blazing fire.” Most popular versions of the Ramayana, Hess points out, omit these stories altogether, ending instead with Rama and Sita in the golden age of Rama’s rule in Ayodhya. Similarly, renowned Indian feminists, Kamla Bhasin and Ritu Menon, note that after the famed 1980s adaptation of the epic, with Sita as the ideal: “[the] overarching ideology [of] female dispensability,” violence against women in India – whether physical, sexual or emotional – remains normalised.

Feminist icons?

It is no surprise that modern retellings of stories from the Ramayana are told from Sita’s point of view. Among these are Sita: Daughter of the Earth – A Graphic Novel by Saraswati Nagpal, The Girl Who Chose: A New Way of Narrating the Ramayana, Sita: An Illustrated Retelling of the Ramayana by Devdutt Pattanaik, and Sita: The Warrior of Mithila by Amish Tripathi. The last two authors listed are men. The field of Hindu mythology, and indeed Indian publishing itself, is male-dominated. Amish Tripathi is known for his modern retellings of Hindu myths, many of which are bestsellers, but his reimagining of Sita comes with a degree of what could be described as ‘mansplaining’. In an interview with the Hindustan Times, Tripathi said he intended for readers: “to see Sita as a feminist icon” and “see her as a warrior, not just her physical strength but also her mental ability.” Devdutt Pattanaik, on the other hand, is a mythologist first and foremost. His rendering tells the Ramayana through Sita’s point of view, but his narrative is limited to the constraints of an original version of the Ramayana by Valmiki.

Alamy A key scene in the Mahabharata is the disrobing of Drapaudi, who is gambled on and lost in a game of dice (Credit: Alamy)
Alamy
A key scene in the Mahabharata is the disrobing of Drapaudi, who is gambled on and lost in a game of dice (Credit: Alamy)

While ancient myths are products of their time, they evolve, too. Between reprints and verbal iterations (which is how these myths were initially passed down), changes in the narrative are inevitable. To restrict retellings in the ‘purest’ form of mythology as Patnaik does is to ignore the manner in which society itself functions and is changing. To rewrite a prominent myth today, and ignore the social shifts India has undergone – particularly as far as women are concerned – does both the retelling and the reader an injustice. Especially when it concerns a female character who has been lauded as an “ideal wife” and a “model for womanhood”, as Sita was by Mohammad Hidayatullah, the 11th Chief Justice of India during an international conference on the Ramayana.

In Divakaruni’s version, this very meek, wronged character, who has been humiliated and harassed in a distinctly gendered manner, has a strong voice for change
It is the character of Draupadi from The Mahabharata however – the most enigmatic of the five ‘virgins’ – who has had tens of books rewrite the story from her point of view. The most popular of these, at least in English, is Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni’s The Palace of Illusions. The Mahabharata is, as far as epics go, hyper-masculine. Two related families – the Kauravas and the Pandavas – fight in the Kurukshetra War for the Hastinapura throne. Cue the thunder of chariots, bows spewing arrows in all directions, and utter mayhem for 1.8 million words. There is a key scene in the Mahabharata in which Draupadi, who is the wife of all five Pandava brothers, is gambled away and lost in a game of dice. She is summoned from her bath by Duryodhana, a winning Kaurava. When she arrives partially dressed, his brother Dushasana mocks her chastity on account of her many husbands, and starts unrolling her ekavastra (a saree without a petticoat or blouse). She prays to Krishna to preserve her dignity, and he does so by ensuring her ekavastra never stops unrolling.

Getty Religious devotees protested against India’s decision to revoke a ban on women aged between 10 and 50 entering a Hindu temple in Kerala (Credit: Getty)
Getty
Religious devotees protested against India’s decision to revoke a ban on women aged between 10 and 50 entering a Hindu temple in Kerala (Credit: Getty)
In Divakaruni’s version, this very meek, wronged character, who has been humiliated and harassed in a distinctly gendered manner, isn’t clueless that she’s been objectified; she has a strong voice for change: “I‘m a queen. Daughter of Drupad, sister of Dhristadyumna. Mistress of the greatest palace on earth. I can‘t be gambled away like a bag of coins, or summoned to court like a dancing girl.”

This is an obvious statement for Draupadi’s character to make – but it’s an important one to make in print. As a society, India has rooted its morality in myths and theology for hundreds of years – and still has a long way to go towards the fair treatment of women today. Representation in India’s key mythologies also has a long way to go, but in retelling myths through a more balanced lens, writers can find a new story to tell.

Feminism is a hyper reaction to man domination. Hyper reactions are necessary to such situations. But it must tone down to a more balanced approach gradually. Otherwise it is nothing but a different version of same situation.

I thought our scriptures were ancient and depicted the society of the time. I thought our scriptures were Sancrosact, and should be preserved in the original form. If scriptures can be rewritten then they are mere stories.

I am conflicted with this retelling of Ramayana.

As far as the scriptures are concerned they convey moral ideas powerfully. In Ramayana Sita was in no way denigrated but was only elevated through her feminine qualities. Remember feminist is not supportive of feminine but supportive of masculine qualities. By seeking equality in a short sighted way, It seeks what man is and what man does.

I agree financial independence is required for women but in no way should they let themselves be money obsessed. That is not even good for men though they should be more focused on earning income.

Since we are still an evolving species 50$ control should be by force those that if not controlled may be harmful to xociety

My recommendation for steering of society is by a mix of technology and spirituality though influence of technology in self improvement should gradually be lessened as the situation improves

When it comes to rewriting scriptures, the sanctity of the original text can be preserved through careful translation and interpretation. It's important to maintain the core teachings and messages of the scriptures while adapting them to different languages or cultural contexts. This can be done by consulting with religious scholars or experts to ensure accuracy and respect for the original text.

Puranas and the Ramayana are ancient texts that hold significant cultural and religious importance. While they can be interpreted in various ways, rewriting them solely for a political agenda may not be appropriate as it could distort the original message and intent of the texts. It's important to approach such texts with respect and understanding of their historical and cultural significance.

My specific objection is to "Shrimad Ramayan (transl. Holy Ramayana) is an Indian Hindi-language mythological television series that premiered on 1 January 2024 on Sony Entertainment Television"

Or maybe it is different from what I understand. I am not an authority on this. Maybe Dr. Renuka can explain it better.

Last edited:
This is what Sita says to Ravana -

तथा अहम् धर्म नित्यस्य धर्म पत्नी दृढ व्रता | त्वया संप्रष्टुम् न शक्या अहम् राक्षसाधम पापिना || ३-५६-१९

raakshasa adhama = oh, demon, basely; tathaa = likewise - on par with Rama; dharma nityasya = in righteousness, one who steadied himself; dharma patnii = legitimate, wife; dR^iDha vrataa = solemnly, pledged [wife]; aham = such as I am; paapinaa tvayaa sampraSTum = by a trespasser, by you, to touch; aham na shakyaa = I am, not, possible - impossible.
"Likewise, I am the solemnly pledged legitimate wife of one who steadied himself in righteousness, and such as I am, you basely demon, it is impossible for you trespasser to touch me even. [3-56-19]

If he was not able to touch Sita, how could he lifted her at the time of abduction?;-

Sita was abducted by Ravana, on lifting her up with his left hand at her plait of hair at nape, and with his right hand at her thighs. So he did touch her during abduction.

इति उक्त्वा मैथिलीम् वाक्यम् प्रिय अर्हाम् प्रिय वादिनीम् || ३-४९-१५ अभिगम्य सुदुष्ट आत्मा राक्षसः काम मोहितः | जग्राह रावणः सीताम् बुधः खे रोहिणीम् इव || ३-४९-१६

On saying that sentence to Maithili, who by herself is a nice talker and who is a proper one for addressing with nice words, that verily evil-minded demon Ravana maddened by lust drew nigh of Seetha and grabbed her, as Budha, the Jupiter grabs the Star Rohini in firmament.

वामेन सीताम् पद्माक्षीम् मूर्धजेषु करेण सः | ऊर्वोः तु दक्षिणेन एव परिजग्राह पाणिना || ३-४९-१७

He that Ravana grabbed the lotus-eyed Seetha on lifting her up with his left hand at her plait of hair at nape, and with his right hand at her thighs.

What small thinking. Focusing on trivia when the focus should be the consequences Ravana faced for abducting Sita

Long ago the Ramayana and Mahabharat seemed interesting to me.
But these days my interests have changed.
I am more interested in what lies beyond our perception.
The unseen, the unknown etc.
After sometime the human mind seeks a steady state.
That is when the Itihaas and Puranas might not interest us anymore.
One wont seek the good vs evil scenario anymore.
One does not feel like glorifying the hero and hating the anti- hero.
One just seeks an unchanging state and some amount of mystery.

Been reading about Navajo Native American concepts of solar or lunar eclipse.
They view everything very spiritually yet its rather scientific.
Interesting and no mumbo jumbo.

I had infact attended Ramayana classes a few weeks ago but sadly I dropped out of it.
Itihaas doesnt interest me anymore.
It doesnt give you the feeling of a silent mind.

Renuka,

You need to abstract and go beyond the distraction of people. For example you could abstract that if you to try to do harm to a chaste woman you will get your head cut. There is no limit to the level of abstraction. Try it. You will find it interesting.

Just to add, may be we should dont take the Ramayana so literally.

Ravana could represent us humans..ruled by our senses.
Though with a very developed intellect we could be yet attached to worldy pursuits.

Sita is daughter of the earth hence Prakirti.
So if we are hopelessly attached to prakirti, we do not develop spiritually.
Prakriti does not bless us with ashtasiddhi is we are not aligned with Purusha.

Hanuman who was aligned with Rama( Purusha) was bestowed ashtasiddhi by Sita.

The death of Ravana can be viewed as liberation.
All 10 heads falling down is symbolically the destruction of our own attachment to our senses.
Only Purusha grants us liberation..not Prakirti.

Its much easier to view an itihaas from a different perspective, otherwise we never move beyond the mega serial mindset.

Just to add, may be we should dont take the Ramayana so literally.

Ravana could represent us humans..ruled by our senses.
Though with a very developed intellect we could be yet attached to worldy pursuits.

Sita is daughter of the earth hence Prakirti.
So if we are hopelessly attached to prakirti, we do not develop spiritually.
Prakriti does not bless us with ashtasiddhi is we are not aligned with Purusha.

Hanuman who was aligned with Rama( Purusha) was bestowed ashtasiddhi by Sita.

The death of Ravana can be viewed as liberation.
All 10 heads falling down is symbolically the destruction of our own attachment to our senses.
Only Purusha grants us liberation..not Prakirti.

Its much easier to view an itihaas from a different perspective, otherwise we never move beyond the mega serial mindset.
Well said Renuka

Renuka,

You need to abstract and go beyond the distraction of people. For example you could abstract that if you to try to do harm to a chaste woman you will get your head cut. There is no limit to the level of abstraction. Try it. You will find it interesting.
I prefer esoteric meanings.
Anyway the take home message isnt about a woman being chaste.
Its about CONSENT.
No matter what type of woman,chaste or unchaste....if she does not give her consent, no one should touch her.

I prefer esoteric meanings.
Anyway the take home message isnt about a woman being chaste.
Its about CONSENT.
No matter what type of woman,chaste or unchaste....if she does not give her consent, no one should touch her.
Yes Renuka that is another abstraction

If he was not able to touch Sita, how could he lifted her at the time of abduction?;-
The epics could have started in a smaller form (even folk tales) passed on orally through generations and embellished by other (unknown) authors wanting to depict Seeta Devi as an even greater epitome of chastity resulting in contradictions.

My humble opinion is that this topic is making us come up with different lines of thought which were not previously assigned to our epics and sita.

Whatever the supposed reality behind this post.. I do not for a second believe that any other particular version of ramayana other than the traditional version has gained enough traction anywhere in india. Although I accede that the leftists and neutral hindus are happy to discuss and digest any version which presents concepts of sita and chastity in a questionable and/or debatable form. This is because of the ulterior thought process of these people which wants to innately denigrate hinduism.

I believe that any person, even if a foreigner, is reverant towards our hindu culture would first try to understand what the sanskrit script says about ramayana as a whole and sita as a part/parcel of it.

I therefore request that we do not extrapolate without knowing/understanding the nuances through which our scriptures are presented in sanskrit. Although I say this, I fully understand people who do not fully understand sanskrit would and could be prodded into deviances.

In other thoughts.. which are completely unrelated to the regret of the author of this thread towards rewriting of our scriptures..

It is interesting to note that although all mammals cry and shed tears.. it is only the crocodile which is celebrated as shedding crocodile tears..

Any thoughts on why this might be so?

Latest ads

Back