• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How do keep your spirituality alive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May be there is already a thread about this. I am pretty new to this forum. So bear with me if this is repetitive.

In the fast moving world, its becoming an interesting challenge to keep in touch with our values and tradition. By values and tradition, I just dont mean doing poojas or reciting slogas. I am talking more about understanding and reinforcing what it means to live like a Hindu.

Not everybody is an expert in veda, so I would assume most of our understanding of brahminism comes from our Idhikasa Puranams - Ramayana - Mahabharatha, hearing to stories from parents and grand parents on how to be good and do good. I know lot less tradition and remember lot less stories than my parents who in turn may know less than the previous generation. So my question is how do we reinforce bhakthi in this day and age. How do we get people thinking and talking about our rich heritage. Its even more challenging if you are outside India, living in places with different cultures and traditions.

I believe the role of Gurus or mutts is to reinforce bhakthi and help find the paramatha within the athma. I live in United states and one thing I find very interesting is that when people go to churches on sunday is that they have a message to think about, talk about, debate about and sometimes to implement. These messgaes may not be new, everybody knows what to do and what not to do, but reinforcing helps keeping the spirutality alive.

I believe lack of spritual gurus to propage the message is hurting Hinduism. Everybody thinks - I am hindu - I dont have to follow any set of rules - I may do some pooja on special occasions - may be pray for a minute dialy - there ends my commitment to God. There is no reinforcement of the message to give, help people, keep your soul clean of all mayas surrounding you. The lack of several spritual leaders is filled by people claiming to be Gods instead of actually preaching our values. (This is a controversial statement and a lot of people may disagree :) but thats why I am opening it up for discussion )

Where are the kripananda variyars, ramkrishna paramahamsas etc of today? How are kids going to understand and follow our tradition? How are we going to help adults reinforce thier bhakthi. What are you guys doing to keep your spirituality alive. Let me know what you all think.

Good topic !

Dear Mr.Sunray,

Although this topic would've been debated about umpteen no. of times , it's definitely worthwhile as it involves the future of our kids , the next generation !!

To be frank , after a long pause ( say about 6-7 months from this forum !), i was looking for an opportunity to get into a discussion and i could'nt get my hands on anything better than this one ..

Ok , jumping right into the core issue , you are pretty much right in your concern over the decline in practice of our great Hindu cultures and beliefs !

But I feel we have some positives -- which you have highlighted as being reiterated in other holy instituions , also with us embedded right into our hearts from our forefathers .. that being :

1) We NEVER CAN hurt anyone as our religion has taught us to FORGIVE and FORGET.

2) Our religion has taught us to practice something , however small we know , in our own modest ways and NEVER to get into anyone's ways/ procedures of practising their own religion !

3) Our religion does not have FIRM RULES and REGULATIONS, and does not drive anyone away out from the temples due to any wrong doing !

One important thing which some may call excuse/ laziness , our religion does not emphasise on adherence to pray timings as we are permitted to give ourselves breaks and we also permit GOD to go on breaks , sometimes , quite often .

What more you desire , we are most free and happy beings on the very earth as we practise Hinduism !

Last edited:
I agree

I agree with you on every thing you said. No arguments at all. But my question or concern is

1) Everybody knows it is good to help people - How does one always keep onself motivated to do that?

2) Everybody knows "Kadamaiyai sei palanai Ethir parkathe" is what Bhagavat Gitai tells - How does one keep onself motiavated to follow it in every day life?

3) How does one keep onself motivated to be a better person ?

Thats where reinforcement of our belief comes into picture. You can know a lot of things, but following it everyday in life is a daunting task. Just because our religion doesnt force anything we have become too complascent and we have stopped trying to better ourselves.

I am concerened that there are not a lot of people to preach, propagate hinduism, reinforce our values and help others lead a better meaningful life.

Last edited:
Dear sunray Ji,

Being a 'good' person is not a prerequisite to attain moksha nor being a 'bad' person will lock you out of moksha. Efforts towards both will only accrue more karmaphala to 'you' and the rebirths will continue. Following one's dharma (without consideration for results) will automatically not create karmaphala, and thus you will reach Him. And this is one of the four ways to reach Him. Of course there are three other ways, suitable to the different inclinitations of different selves.

Our religion does not 'impose' any military style discipline because, when human beings are forced in to doing something, they usually rebel against it internally. And in this moksha business, your internal 'eye' should be free to grow and develop when you are ready. So, we evolve over myriads of births to develop our 'spiritual maturity', so to say.

There is no need to 'preach and propogate' Hinduism. It is Sanatana Dharma. As the world is getting interconnected, one sees the powerful influence of this eternal Truth on people all over the world who are seeking spirituality.

By the way, if you have not noticed, Hinduism is flourishing everywhere.

Regards,
KRS

re

Sunray Sir,

I think Mata Amritananda,Mata Karunamayi,ParamaGuru Nityananda,Gurus from Ramakrishna Mission,Gurus from Chinmaya Mission,Chinna Jeeyar,Gurus from Gaudiya Sampradaya,Advaitham,Dwaitham,Vishistaadvaitham.....etc of various vedantic schools are touring well to USA,Australia,Canada,European Countries,Middleeastern countries,world wide...Families inclined to such values take their children and attend such satsanghas already,just how we do in India.In fact some of my relatives are better hindus than ones living in India.I am sort puzzled by your observation.Maybe i have limited knowledge on this then.

Regarding the Bhagawath Gita verse,i think in totality we have to understand that verse.Because,everyone of the jivatma does a action to satisfy the self first,which Lord Krishna emphatically explains to Arjunar.But he is the final authority as to distribution of rewards or punishment,so have faith in me first and foremost and i will take care of your needs forever,says the Lord Krishna,is my understanding sir.Plz correct me,if i have understood the verses and chapter incorrectly.Thank You !

gopal.

Dear KRS,

You reply seems to be red hot. Cool down a bit :) "By the way, if you have not noticed, Hinduism is flourishing everywhere" - whats that supposed to mean ? I believe sarcastic replies have no place in a thoughtful discussion. Neither does it encourage Junior members to participate.

And by the way, not everybody knows about four ways to reach God and subtle differences in them :) Not everybody knows what Sanatana Dharma means :) I for one don't.

May be I am not making myself clear here. I am not talking about imposing some values or trying to propagate Hinduism to people who are not interested. Poor choice of words on my part i guess.

The reason I started this thread is in this day and age - there are a lot of people who are really interested in understanding Hinduism better and keep themselves motivated to be good and do good.

Other than your family memebers, elders, I am not finding a lot of resources which would make you thoughtful and help your 'internal eye' grow. (I am borrowing your internal eye term here). And if you are outside India its even more challenging.

And a lot of us dont even think that it is important to provide people with all the resources to improve if they choose to do so. I have gotten two replies to this thread saying "Oh there are no rules - do whatever you want - thats fine" - But I dont find a lot of answers for how do one keep oneself motivated to a better person.

Listening to good moral stories make you motivated, listening to speeches or reading books make you motivated, but why we as a community in general are not encouraging these?

Regards,
Sunray.

Last edited:
Dear Gopalaswamy,

Thanks for posting the info about various institutions travelling abroad. I will try to find out more about that. I think a lot of it depends and the place you live and if are lucky to find some tamil friends.

And thank you for posting the complete context surrounding Baghavat Gita.

Regards,
Sunray.

Dear Mr.Sunray ,

Having a quick browse on the 3-4 msgs that follow after your reply to my msg , I think most of us will agree on the following :

1) The things that you seem to cause you pain ( the word agony could be a strong word !) is " How does one always keep onself motivated to do that? " & your words .. just because our religion doesnt force anything we have become too complascent and we have stopped trying to better ourselves.

will come from " Self Help " books , I mean books on " Ten Rules to make you Happy " , " Positive Thinking " etc etc as these are desire traits and can be accomplished with the help of these books and a will to change for better !.

2) As per my opinion our religious books do not dictate the ORDER for the DAY and if at it would - I doubt whether it could be made use of contemporary , to our present day !

We have an evolving religion , state of the art practices , and come on our logical sense indicates that " We have more responsibility to shape ourselves , in the way we present ourselves to the outside world , in handling situations , in our general outlook - happy - sad - angry --------

Do we need our religion to tell us all these ??????

We need to depend on Our Religion , a skeletal guideline for our LIFE and resort to it in knowing about the ways to reach GOD salvation , if at all anyone is interested .. I feel the maru janma concept would be worthwhile as you can have different options in the next janma - of the fast food joints / of the emerging technology etc etc...

Last edited:
to sunray: we are having 24hrs a day, first divide into 6For working 10 hrs Travelling 2 hrs, eating 2hrs, sleeping 5.30hrs 2.30 hrs meditation and rest for worldly things.First serch a suitable GURU and follow his advice. Reading of books will give only Knowledge and it required to implement them into daytodaylife,for that Motivation is get from the Guru. A living perfect Master will guide to the right direction for a Moral life, he will lead you to the altimate supreme and merge with the source. You must have an urge to serch for your Master.If you are a marked SOUL you will get your Master.with regards. s.r.k.

Dear Sunray Ji,

My response in 'blue' below:

Dear KRS,

You reply seems to be red hot. Cool down a bit :) "By the way, if you have not noticed, Hinduism is flourishing everywhere" - whats that supposed to mean ? I believe sarcastic replies have no place in a thoughtful discussion. Neither does it encourage Junior members to participate.

You have stated:
'Where are the kripananda variyars, ramkrishna paramahamsas etc of today? How are kids going to understand and follow our tradition? How are we going to help adults reinforce thier bhakthi. What are you guys doing to keep your spirituality alive. Let me know what you all think.'

So, I answered by saying that your assumption is perhaps not valid. Where is the sarcasm? As a moderator, I do not think that I post with sarcasm that I usually warn others about.

Whare you live in USA, please look around. In DFW area alone there are several temples, and there are sat sanghs going on in the area (please refer to India Abroad or such news papers to know where these are conducted). Over the past several years, more and more spiritual discourses are going on in the area.

There are current day 'Variars' or 'Paramahamsas' visiting the area often. There are numerous retreats available for spiritual growth in North America. I fail to grasp your point.

And by the way, not everybody knows about four ways to reach God and subtle differences in them :) Not everybody knows what Sanatana Dharma means :) I for one don't.
That is why I introduced the concept, so that you can look it up! We have several topics within this Forum to help you understand these principles.

May be I am not making myself clear here. I am not talking about imposing some values or trying to propagate Hinduism to people who are not interested. Poor choice of words on my part i guess.
No issues.

The reason I started this thread is in this day and age - there are a lot of people who are really interested in understanding Hinduism better and keep themselves motivated to be good and do good.
That is why I responded as such.

Other than your family memebers, elders, I am not finding a lot of resources which would make you thoughtful and help your 'internal eye' grow. (I am borrowing your internal eye term here). And if you are outside India its even more challenging.

And a lot of us dont even think that it is important to provide people with all the resources to improve if they choose to do so. I have gotten two replies to this thread saying "Oh there are no rules - do whatever you want - thats fine" - But I dont find a lot of answers for how do one keep oneself motivated to a better person.
Dear Sunray Ji, as I have said, there are ample resources available. You just need to put in some work to find them.

Listening to good moral stories make you motivated, listening to speeches or reading books make you motivated, but why we as a community in general are not encouraging these?
Again, please go through the current postings and past postings. One can read our puranas elsewhere in the internet. What do you mean by 'why we as a community in general are not encouraging these?'.

Regards,
Sunray.

Regards,
KRS

No body is able to determine the origin Hinduism and no body can destroy it also. It is the only dynamic religion in the whole world were without compromising the basic principles, the practices getting changed dynamically. There is no hard and fast rule as far as practices are concerned.

The present internet age has given us more opportunities to enlighten us further. Music websites has given us more opportunity to listen to our own music, slokas etc. The amount of Hindu religious literature available in the internet is some thing which we could not have imagined.

Ramakrishna Paramahamsar is not with us today but most of us have seen our own Paramacharyar.

Kripananda Varier is not with us today but we are seeing lot of eminent Upanyasagars who are all well versed in our religious literature.

எண்ணாயிரம் ஆண்டு யோகம் இருப்பினும் கண்ணார் அமுதனை கண்டறிவாரில்லை உள் நாடி ஒளி பெற உள்ளே நோக்கினார் கண்ணாடி போல கலந்து நின்றானே

Hi KRS, I appreciate your long response. If sarcasm is not your intention, then I take you at your word :). I spent some time googling and I was able to find a lot of stuff interesting !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back