• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How and when will India become a truely developed nation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,

Are we (India) headed for development? Is it really true? Even our beloved ex-president, the great scientist was cautious in saying, that he would love to be re-born only in India, but it must be a truly developed India.

What do we mean by development? Are we making a sustained development path currently? How do you think we would achieve it? Is there anyone who can put forth the best few steps that need to be done to achieve this in the shortest time?

Please come forward with your ideas. We may not gain much from pointing fingers at current mistakes, but will definitely gain from ideas which will vaporize these current mistakes from our nation.

Hello Everyone,

Are we (India) headed for development? Is it really true? Even our beloved ex-president, the great scientist was cautious in saying, that he would love to be re-born only in India, but it must be a truly developed India.

What do we mean by development? Are we making a sustained development path currently? How do you think we would achieve it? Is there anyone who can put forth the best few steps that need to be done to achieve this in the shortest time?

Please come forward with your ideas. We may not gain much from pointing fingers at current mistakes, but will definitely gain from ideas which will vaporize these current mistakes from our nation.

"Righteousness exalteth a nation but sin is a reproach"

India will become a developed a nation when every Indian perceives himself/herself as a Human Being first and an Indian next and nothing else beyond that. First step is to stop being anglomaniac, americanmaniac, to stop looking to the west for everything and anything, to stop imitating the west in everything. If USA is a superpower, the founders founded the nation on the principles of God. Every American put the nation first and self next. Will Indians emulate the principle? If yes, tomorrow, why tomorrow, now India will become a super power.

Thank you, Iyer@Infosys, for responding to this call - seeking ideas for a developed India.

What would be the steps (and by whom) that would prompt an attitude change you have sought as a society?

America is capitalist in nature. We do not want to question whether they put nation before themselves, but they (general population) do not have hail America slogans ringing in their minds when they go about day to day lives.

Patriotism may be a point of discussion, but we could rather work on social development with respect to a region called India. If it in turn gains patriotic shades all the more better - but (sustained) social and economic development of the region called India is the focus.

Thank you, Iyer@Infosys, for responding to this call - seeking ideas for a developed India.

What would be the steps (and by whom) that would prompt an attitude change you have sought as a society?

America is capitalist in nature. We do not want to question whether they put nation before themselves, but they (general population) do not have hail America slogans ringing in their minds when they go about day to day lives.

Patriotism may be a point of discussion, but we could rather work on social development with respect to a region called India. If it in turn gains patriotic shades all the more better - but (sustained) social and economic development of the region called India is the focus.

Dear Sridar

Firstly I sincerely appreciate you for starting this thread. This is a very interesting and an important subject for discussion. The concept is not new however. It is a vast subject to discuss and we will see how best and how far we can progress.

Anything happening in the natural and physical realm is an effect of what is caused in the supernatural and metaphysical realm. That's where the solution lies. It is futile to explore for solutions in the natural.

It would give me immense pleasure to discuss things in the metaphysical but some members in this forum seem to be shut to such views as is evident from their reactions to some views posted in other threads.

I am not promoting patriotism here. According to me it is narrow minded. As for your valid question 'by whom?', a start could be made by you and I. I also align with your perception of India as a region and not as a political entity.

Well. To begin with let us take stock of our resources. India has all the natural resources available on earth. Name any serial, grain or crop, it grows in India. Name any mineral, it is available in India. There is plenty of Intellectual resource. How do we harness the resources, how do we tap the potential? What has been the track record? We need to ponder these issues.

How do we measure development? What scale do we use? On what parameters do we assess our development? What are the goals? What is the target? When and where do we end? These are complicated questions indeed and may seem vague now. However I trust we can determine them over a period of time.

It would be apt to emulate, distinguished from imitating, the so-called developed countries.

I shall give some more thought and shall post later.

Regards
Iyer@Infosys.

Last edited:
Dear Sridar

Firstly I sincerely appreciate you for starting this thread. This is a very interesting and an important subject for discussion. The concept is not new however. It is a vast subject to discuss and we will see how best and how far we can progress.

Anything happening in the natural and physical realm is an effect of what is caused in the supernatural and metaphysical realm. That's where the solution lies. It is futile to explore for solutions in the natural.

It would give me immense pleasure to discuss things in the metaphysical but some members in this forum seem to be shut to such views as is evident from their reactions to some views posted in other threads.

I am not promoting patriotism here. According to me it is narrow minded. As for your valid question 'by whom?', a start could be made by you and I. I also align with your perception of India as a region and not as a political entity.

Well. To begin with let us take stock of our resources. India has all the natural resources available on earth. Name any serial, grain or crop, it grows in India. Name any mineral, it is available in India. There is plenty of Intellectual resource. How do we harness the resources, how do we tap the potential? What has been the track record? We need to ponder these issues.

How do we measure development? What scale do we use? On what parameters do we assess our development? What are the goals? What is the target? When and where do we end? These are complicated questions indeed and may seem vague now. However I trust we can determine them over a period of time.

It would be apt to emulate, distinguished from imitating, the so-called developed countries.

I shall give some more thought and shall post later.

Regards
Iyer@Infosys.

I must appreciate you to have understood the reason why I had mentioned the word "region". Yes, this is not a political discussion. And yes, this is about social development.

Well, however, I am a bit patriotic myself to the extent, I would love every citizen of every country to be patriotic - for the well being of all and not for the well being of one's own country alone. A happy and friendly neighbor helps in a happy and friendly neighborhood. Same for countries too.

Coming back to the topic, yes, we as a nation, as a geographical region have every resource required to make a developed nation. But, the question again ringing in my mind is, "What is this development supposed to be?" A good vision is required before we head towards doing this.

Individually everyone has to be a contributor. So, it does start with I and me for every one. Inevitably, a spiritually inclined person would be more self less (which gives birth to courage) to be a contributor in the right direction. Yes, metaphysical is the direction (for me too) - but invite anyone who may differ too, because you may have a view point which is really helpful.

Personally, I have never felt monetary growth, muscle power and good living conditions alone are indications of a developed nation.

Every step that heads towards global peace and harmony while providing the above would be a path for developing nations. Internal development (of self) which leads external development is my personal preference.

I eagerly await your posts, Iyer@Infosys and anyone who has idea(s) to drop by.

It's a welcome development and I wholeheartedly support it. But, can this practice be sustained, in the absence of police protection and support from the government machinery?

I have a long list of pre-requisites, for India to be called a developed nation.

First one is figuring at the top of UNDP's Human Development Index and figuring at the bottom of Transparency International's list of corrupt countries in the world.

Rest I will write afterwards.

First one is figuring at the top of UNDP's Human Development Index and figuring at the bottom of Transparency International's list of corrupt countries in the world.

Brilliant !

While everyone keeps on their thinking cap, here's a brief, related detour. Pardon me for it.

If mere consumerism be the yardstick of development, here's the latest.

If you are in Hyderabad, you could order Butter Chicken for 2 people at Rs. 6,000. Yes, you heard it right (Refer latest issue of Outlook)

Butter Chicken | Anaarkali Butter Chicken - The classiest Butter Chicken on earth

Though i have quit eating non-vegetarian, the mention of BC got me going & therefore :

World is awake to a new India
Upward mobile and consumerist
All it takes is a little urging
Off we go unabashedly splurging

Millions live below poverty line
Rich pairing their food with best wine
A portion of chicken for six thousand
Fret not; it’s still cheaper than diamond

A nation known for it’s prudence
Is now craving only for indulgence
Living the life, every minute, king size
Fallible we are, entrapped in entice

Choosing to live by the heart
The head knows no reason
Rubbing salt into wounds of poverty
We are guilty of committing treason

Shri KRS, True, that was a baby step. We need very large adult ones to develop. Hope to see some ideas from you towards this.

Shri Pannvalan, Yes, sustenance is the key issue. And sustenance without a need for security arrangements can only be brought about by development of the mind/attitude of people. Eagerly await your views that you wanted to share here.

My personal view of a development would include lesser need for enforcement authority and more spontaneous acceptance of the other person's freedom.

But, the question remains how we can help this change to happen.

I would like to write about some of my observations and inferences on why people in India (definitely not all!!!) are unable to develop. I believe helping in correcting these mis-conceptions will improvise our chances towards being a developed nation/region.

Mis-conception that:

1. By not allowing, one or a group of persons, from growing will keep oneself ahead of others. Growth here implies - general awareness, education, financial stability among others.

2. By creating a lot of wealth one has achieved success in life. In turn, leading a life that is devoid of concern on the means adopted to accumulate wealth.

3. Forgiving others' mistakes and accepting ones' own mistakes - as sign of weakness. In turn, making retaliation as a way to handle every person who is a hurdle to one's way of life.

4. Nature will spare a person even though one keeps acting based on the above mis-conceptions. Nature here for rationalists would be Newton's law. While, Nature for believers of a higher power would be Karmic law. For me, Newton's law is easier to understand and appreciate (like many), than Karmic law though I believe in it wholeheartedly.

Last edited:
Dear hariharan1972, I felt touched by the poetic quote in your posting. Bless the person who authored it and you for quoting it. And if it were you - wow!

Dear hariharan1972, I felt touched by the poetic quote in your posting. Bless the person who authored it and you for quoting it. And if it were you - wow!

sridhar,

that is hari the poet (aka hariharan1972) who wrote those words.

among his various skillset, hari writes great poetry. in tamil too. he is too modest a guy to accept garlands and boquets.

Last edited:
A huge fire broke out in Jaipur IOC Depot leaving 10 dead and property worth crores destroyed. The fire raged for 3 days (probably is still raging) causing huge environmental disaster.

So when i saw a news header this morning that the Rajasthan CM has ordered for a report, I couldn’t come to terms with the headline and this was the result :

Smoke billowing, spewing fire
Environment grimacing in ire
Official machinery now entails
Another report for its files

Long we knew that it worked in decadence
No room for honesty nor is there prudence
Report first, action kept in eternal abeyance
Inaction is official substitute of governance

What of the system that slipped into abyss
'One more report', the response in a crisis
Unable to tame a fire that’s all engulfing
This is India, a nation supposedly developing

Who would blink first, the name of this game
Official machinery : Euphemism for transferring blame
In a crisis, into a meeting room, they would troop
Fanciful is the title, the Crisis Management Group

Long we had lost hope on being proactive
It’s now official : Cant even be reactive
‘Babudom’ resplendent in reporting splendor
Reports : Thrown into fire to burn to cinder

Dear sridharvasudevan

Sri Hari wasn't quoting; he is the author!! Hari is the resident poet extraordinaire of Tamilbrahmins.com!!
Bravo! Hari!

If I may put in my two cents, unless and until people become civic minded, we will not be truly developed nation. I still see well-dressed people urinating on the streets (esp. on sombody else's house or lawn) and throwing trash all over.

Shri Pannvalan, I went through your draft plan/policy document, looks like a lot of thought and time has gone into making it. I would say even if everyone puts that kind of sincerity towards "attempting" we would be better developed. Thanks again for your thoughts. I would invite anyone who posts here to please read your suggestions and come up with their thoughts and comments.

Hello Hari, Though I am impressed by your new poem on the IOC depot fire incident, I have a few words to share. I vaguely remember, it was 2004-05 period when a large fire of similar or larger scale broke out in a far more developed nation, UK - in an oil depot not far from London. Such things do happen - we are not alone.

Hello Silverfox, It's true. Having a natural talent like Hari among us surely invigorates the atmosphere.

About civic minded - yes. Though I can hardly relieve myself on the sides of a road myself even under urgent circumstances; I or we have an advantage as against millions of others in the country. We have toilets (we have access to toilets by our social status where ever we go), they don't. It would be a national record of sorts if we find even one clean government built toilet in the whole of our country. And of course finding one (dirty or not) itself is a record of sorts. I sympathize with them.

Sign of development in anything would be by sincere efforts to provide, manage and not just control. Generally, in our country, we see enforcement of control/asking for restraint but less or nothing being provided to the needy millions.

So again, where do we start? I am at a loss of answers right now...can anyone help?

Education seems to be the lifeline.

Dear Sridhar,

Sorry for being silent for quite some time. I am indeed giving thought on the subject. My office chores keep me busy. I seldom find time to visit the site.

Well. I was reminded of a statement of Bharathiyar, which goes like this:

"Thani oruvanukku unavu illayel jagathinai azhithiduvom" which is interpreted thus:

"If there be even a lone human being without food, this world is not worth existing".

Although it sounds very zealous, we cannot ignore the spirit behind this statement.

I reckon, when every Indian thinks on this line, India could well be on a path to rapid progress and development in all spheres.

For every man on earth, there are 3 needs which are basic and common across all people groups; Food, Clothing and Shelter.

If a man is hungry there are 2 things we can do; either give him a fish to eat or teach him how to fish (please do not conclude Im a meat eater. By all means Im a vegetarian). I agree with you that education is the lifeline. We cannot educate all. At least we can make a beginning by educatiing the ignorant around us. This will spread like a ripple effect and sooner or later we can achieve the goal of 100% literacy.

Regards,
Iyer.

Last edited:
Shri.Pannvalan,
I am sorry I spelt your name wrongly last time. Hope I am right this time. Thanks for your thoughts on the idea of a developed nation. Shri Hari, I read your poem on the fire accident (IOC depot). I fully echo your sentiments. Thanks. Venkat

i suppose my expectations are simple:

india will become a truly developed nation when

a) corruption / bribery stops

c) transparency is made compulsary in all government tenders / dealings, with the details available to the public online.

d) everyone gets equal opportunities for any chosen line of education - whether one wants to be a priest at a temple or wants to become a lawyer / engineer.

e) religion is banned from being used by politicians as a political platform.

f) people start respecting every profession and every human.

long long ago, i heard, that the 'developed status' of a country can be gauged by the cleanliness of its public washrooms, starting with the airport.

being fortunate enough to visit a few places in the world, i would say that once you leave germany and move eastward, one has to wait till japan/singapore for a clean toilet.

china, ofcourse solved this issue in its decisive usual manner. a foreigner, by right, to the best of my knowledge, can request and must be obliged to the washrooms in all public places in the cities. ie including 5 star hotels :)

too bad if you are a local guy :(

the public defecation process in india, is also a blessing two fold. it provides a social situation, particularly for the women. also, it is a natural fertilizer.

i do not know, even if 2nd tier cities in india have underground drainage. coimbatore? madurai? puducheri?

it takes a lot of effort to initiate public infrastructure projects. but it takes even more effort to maintain them. i do sincerely hope, that the new highways are maintained well, and not once built, considered completed and abandoned re maintenance.

india buys a lot of gold

this is the front page story in today toronto globe and mail

India shining: Golden sale heralds an economic force - The Globe and Mail

not often we get into front page news in a positive way.

what is the view from indian papers? or news media?

will it cause friction with the u.s.a.?

will it bring down the price of gold jewellery in india?

when i was in chennai recently, i went to joy alukkas. while amazed at the size of the shop and amount of jewellery, i came away depressed at the sight of so much blatant flaunting of materialism.

and uneasy at the sight of the large crowds going after those gold.

silverfox sir & previous to that mr kunjuppu,

thanks indeed for your kind words.

sridhar ji,

i am bound to agree with you. i dont decry the fact that the accident happened (though i have an info on this), but i was appalled to see that we resigned ourselves to the fact that the fire couldnt be doused.

may be it is the way the oil fires are supposed to be i dont know, coz the oil wells of kuwait were aflame long after the iraqi invasion was repulsed.

somehow i got dismayed by the fact that the chief minister found that to be the right time to be calling for reports. may be i am over-reacting but something surely snapped inside me when i saw the newsheader. btw, i also need some excuse to trouble this forum with my "poems" (??) isnt it ? :)

(inside info i got from my business school alumunus is that leaks in the pipes were found but were ignored ; he had sent gory pictures of the raging fire also)

that apart, i find it most annoying that we have a tendency to romanticise chaos, failure and inefficiency.

900mm of rain on mumbai few years ago brought the city to a grinding halt ; agreed that even the best of cities may not have coped up with 900mm of rainfall on a single day but the fact that shouldnt be missed is that mumbai claiming to be the financial hub of south asia has a 100 year old drainage system !!!!

few days after mumbai was flooded, it was our email boxes that were flooded - with mails "praising the spirit of mumbai" and comparing "mumbai with florida (was it ?)" that was ravaged by katrina (not kaif).

the mails were singing paeans as to how no shop was lifted during the flooding and the ensuing commotion while in the US, shoplifters made most of the situation arising out from the hurricane. ( i dont know whether it is factually correct).

now if this isnt romanticism of the worst kind, what else can be ?

i mean, yes, i am quite happy (not proud for chrissake) that no one indulged in shoplifting but we cannot rest on this supposed laurel ignoring the crying need to overhaul the pathetic infrastructure.

on a slight tangential note, i am just coming off a seminar where one of the key note speakers, a head honcho from ***** spoke passionately about how IT is revolutionizing india.

it is true and as someone in the industry, i can very well relate to it. interestingly the speaker didnt dwell on the usual suspects of job creation, wealth creation et all instead focussing on how IT is making a difference to rural india ; farmers ; fishermen and the like.

he also quickly put out our beaming pride when he drew our attention to india's slipping position on network readiness. for IT to transform lives, it needs infrastructure, bandwidth infrastructure very badly. india has actually slipped on it.

it is alarming that india cannot even maintain forget improving it's advantage which it got clearly by serendipity. we were not designed to be successful in IT.

i think pannvalan-ji summed it up excellently by stating that the true measure of india's development depends on

a) how high it scores on human development index and
b) how low can it score on corruption index.

it's pretty much the nirvana of development and certainly i cant believe that it will happen in my time. rahul gandhi's son (hopefully his columbian-later-to-be-indianized-now-girlfriend-later-wife doesnt have political ambitions) has a better chance of seeing it happen.

without going to the ultimate measure of development, india should immediately increase the pace of it's development of everything viz infrastructure, education, sanitation, healthcare. just everything.

sadly there's no one in the system who has the 'fire in the belly'. we cannot just afford to change systematically, sequentially and slowly.

we need quantum change ; disruptive change ; game changing change.

speed in execution is india's greatest need of the hour, minute, second, nano second.

Quote from
Iyer@Infosys
I agree with you that education is the lifeline. We cannot educate all. At least we can make a beginning by educatiing the ignorant around us. This will spread like a ripple effect and sooner or later we can achieve the goal of 100% literacy.

During my childhood my father used to say -- "Education is Capital to the poor ,and , interest to the rich"

Dear Hari,

No one can disagree with the sensitivity you have, we share and the pure sense it makes to be rightfully dismayed. Just that it can happen and it surely does happen in our country - and of course it is not right.

But the core idea here is to encourage ideas to resolve. How do you think we can get to what shri pannvalan has suggested:

a) how high it (we/India) scores on human development index and
b) how low can it (we/India) score on corruption index.

The question is "How" to reach there?
Everyone agrees we are "Not" there as of yet.

Last edited:
The question is "How" to reach there?

you stumped me here sridhar, fair and square.

i dont have an answer ;on second thoughts, i do have some "possible answers" but i would have to admit that i cant try them myself.

for starters, one of my possible answer is "we need honest, incorruptible people in politics".

i can say it very easily and walk off; but am i willing to set a personal example here by taking the plunge?

no ! i cant.

possibly i dont have the rights to cavil but i do arm-chair criticism, because that comes to me easily ; naturally.

since i know my own personal shortcomings, i try not to complain too much ; too often.

i try to be the honest citizen that i can be, nothing beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back