• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Hiranya Srartham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Friends,

What is the normal Dhakshina and Vadhyar Sambhavanai for Hiranya Srartham in Bangalore?

THis is my third year in Bangalore and I am doing for the third time Hiranyam for my mother. I got very much varied experiences with these three times in terms of Dhakshina and Sambhavanai, exorbitantly.

Kindly help me guiding with informations please.

Regards
Anand

Dear Sri Iyer,

Sambavanai for Hiranya Srardham varies according to the location in Bangalore. Last week I performed Hiranya Srardham for my father along with food offering to two brahmins. I paid Rs.300/=each as Sambavani plus another Rs.300/- as vadhyar dhakshanai, to one, who chanted mantras for the rituals and pitr tarpanam.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Thank you sir, for your kind clarification.

One more thing: In Bangalore where shall we find 'Brahmana Vaikundam'? Only electric cremations are done here? Also may I ask for some contact details for Vadhyars / association which will help in doing the final rituals?

I am asking this as someone in my family will not long even a year, as per doctors.

Hiranya Srardham Mantras and procedure

Hi!

My name is Balakrish and I have joined very recently.

I have been wondering if any you have the mantras and procedure to perform Hiranya Srardham. It will be helpful if you could email or let me know where it is available.

Thanking in advance.

Balakrish

Hi!

My name is Balakrish and I have joined very recently.

I have been wondering if any you have the mantras and procedure to perform Hiranya Srardham. It will be helpful if you could email or let me know where it is available.

Thanking in advance.

Balakrish

Shri Balakrish (nan?),

Anyway hiranya sraaddham cannot be performed without minimum two brahmanas. Hence doing it all by yourself does not arise. So why do you need the mantras? Just wondering!

Dear Sri Balakrish,

If you contact any Vadhyar, they will do the needful. As Sri Sangom has rightly told, we can not do it by ourselves, we need two Brahmanas.

Sir, In coimbatore we are paying 300 rupees each for two sastrigals and 400 rupees for the sastrigal who chanted mantras for the srardham. Also Two 9x5 cotton dhoties for the two sastrigals. There are many restrictions for these sastrigals to take srardha food. If you want to know the tamil meaning do's and don'ts and the proceedure you may buy a book "aapasthamba paarvana srardha prayogam" written by srivatsa somadeva sarma.

Now a day s sastrigals while chanting mantras they are grtting calls from their mobile and they are giving more attention to mobile calls , it will be usefull to you at that time to follow the mantras where it has stopped.

With interest I followed the postings in this thread on Hiranya Sraaddham.

May I express the view that performing Sraaddham in the Hiranya rupam itself secondary and one should avoid it as far as possible. Only on very very unavoidable circumstances it can be adopted. Let us be very clear about it. Hiranya Sraaddham is not a substitute for Parvana Sraaddham. It is only a Aapadkala dharmam.

Regarding the question of Sambhavna is concerened there is no MRP as such and it depends upon the manobhavam & affordability. As doing Sraaddham in the hiranya mode itself is secondary, one should try to offer Sambhavana to the extent possible without going into the details of "that person offered this much & that much." (For guidance sake its okay to enquire, but it should be individual-specific) As Sri Gopalan wrote offering Vastra-danam is highly recommended along with Bhojanam. Of course, let me say again, that Parvana Sraaddham has more significance.

One more point reg. pronounciation. It is not Sraarddham-but Sraaddham (no ' r ')

Last edited:
Hiranya Sraadham

Thanks very much for all the replies! I really appreciate your time and input.

I agree entirely that we should not skimp on dakshina. It is especially important because we do not have a structured system which protects our traditions and nourishes the priests.

My anguish is that in many instances the priests themselves vary widely in their interpretation of what rituals should be included in Hiranya Sraadham. It ranges from just a tharpanam to something that encompasses items like Siva puja and abhishekam - which in my opinion are outliers.

To me it highlights the necessity of being knowledgeable so that I do not miss the essentials.

I guess I still do not know what rituals should be included from all the discussions so far and I welcome any input to help me understand that.

Thanks again!

Balakrishnan

Sraaddha book is available either in Giri Trading or Sri Ramakrishna Matt. Here it differs according to Karta. You should know it from from your original shastrigal or perhaps your paternal cousins can help. Dakshina is decided by the shaastrigal on his estimation of yours though nobody (no karta) is accepted as unable to pay his demand. Such is the economical compulsions where, as elsewhere, money rules the world.

Dear friend,
I just wanted to correct something, nothing to offend. It is "sradham" one which is done with "sradha" not srardham as many think. No ill feelings, please!
Regards,
Uma.

Thanks very much for all the replies! I really appreciate your time and input.

I agree entirely that we should not skimp on dakshina. It is especially important because we do not have a structured system which protects our traditions and nourishes the priests.

My anguish is that in many instances the priests themselves vary widely in their interpretation of what rituals should be included in Hiranya Sraadham. It ranges from just a tharpanam to something that encompasses items like Siva puja and abhishekam - which in my opinion are outliers.

To me it highlights the necessity of being knowledgeable so that I do not miss the essentials.

I guess I still do not know what rituals should be included from all the discussions so far and I welcome any input to help me understand that.

Thanks again!

Balakrishnan

Shri Balakrishnan,

I expected some of our members more thorough with the rituals to give reply. But since none has come forward so far, I am just giving what vadhyars here in Thiruvananthapuram, follow.

1. The vaadhyaar (V) and another braahmanan (B) are offered seats (wooden planks). They usually come by scooter with the veshti in normal way, but change over to 'pancakaccham' in the house, wash their feet and then start.

2. The B is usually the pitrus, V being in double role - both visvedeva and guru.

3. With recital of mantras just as in the elaborate sraaddham, the visvedevas and pitrus are invoked (aavaahanam) in the V & B respectively with darbhai, sesamum (eLLu).

4. Then the formal aasanam, sandal paste (candanam) as gandham, tuLaseedaLam are offered with the appropriate mantras and then samastopacaaraartham (as token of all upacaaras) eLLu is sprinkled.

5. The gotra, name, etc., of the pitru is recited and a mantra is recited which means ,"I am giving whatever "hiranyam" (gold) I am able to, in lieu of the proper sraaddham, etc.," and with this the cash is given to visvedevas (V) and the pitru (B).

6. Then, in a separate act, V says the usual mantra for acaarya dakShiNai and takes his vaadhyaar dakShiNai as per rates quoted by him. A regular, family vaadhyaar will inform you beforehand if there is any upward revision of dakshiNais so that there is no "glitch" in the smooth performance.

7. Then according to custom of each house, either full meals is offered, some people make some "bhakshaNams like appam, vaDai, eLLuRuNDai, etc., and in some cases - as my vadhyar preferred - we just make uLunduvaDai, bananas and coffee (without sugar because he is an acute diabetic) and comes in empty stomach early morning after doing his devoojai at home; bananas because, according to him it is mandatory. He says if he goes to any other function he will have to take some food and so comes by 7'o clock in the morning, first appointment.

8. Pradakshinam and namaskaram.

9. Tarpanam as usual.

There is no sivapoojai or abhishekam or any other item.

Last edited:
Dear sir,

Thanks very much!

I agree entirely with that we need to be cognizant of economic compulsions and provide as much support as we can.
This ties into the fact that we do not have any formal setup to support the priests.

Balakrishnan

Dear Sri Sangom,

I have been performing Hiranya Shrardham for my Mother and Father for years. Prior to that I had been to Badrinath and offered Pindpradhanam to both of them separately at Brahma Kapalam on the banks of Alakananda river.

The procedure given by you covers all the points for performing Hiranya Srardham. In our house my wife prepares food on traditional lines that of Samaradhanai. Ofcourse omitting roots and vegetables that are not allowed for Shrardham. I always offer some amount more for conveyance to Vadhyars over and above what they expect. My wife is highly religious person and she would see that we do not deviate from any procedure in the ceremonies. We derive pleasure and satisfaction in feeding guests when we get an opportunity religious or otherwise.

Warm Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Last edited:
Dear Sri Sangom,

I have been performing Hiranya Shrardham for my Mother and Father for years. Prior to that I had been to Badrinath and offered Pindpradhanam to both of them separately at Brahma Kapalam on the banks of Alakananda river.

The procedure given by you covers all the points for performing Hiranya Srardham. In our house my wife prepares food on traditional lines that of Samaradhanai. Ofcourse omitting roots and vegetables that are not allowed for Shrardham. I always pay some amount more for conveyance to Vadhyars over and above what they expect. My wife is highly religious person and she would see that we do not deviate from any procedure in the ceremonies. We derive pleasure and satisfaction in feeding guests when we get an opportunity religious or otherwise.

Warm Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear Shri Brahmanyan,

I look at Sraaddham and Tarpanam as devices for us to remember our parents, grandparents (for those who could see them alive) and great grandparents (not possible in most cases to have personal memories of). But we are what we are because they did take care of us — to their best ability — and hence it gives some happiness that we just remember them. Beyond that I feel the actual way in which these are done by people is secondary, according to me. For example, some of our people now donate money to old age homes/orphanages/destitutes' homes etc., on such days; some others contribute to "annadaanam" given in temples. I feel these are as good as doing sraaddham.

Dear Sri Sangom,

I agree with you whether we continue to perform Srardham in the traditional way or remember our elders by participating in charitable work, its all the same. In fact my brother sends money to some temple where they perform traditional Srardham and partake food there. In addition he sends cash donation to a destitute home which takes care of people who suffer infirmity. Similarly my sister sends money to Navajeevan Blind relief Center at Tirupathi, who do free eye care for the poor.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

i do agree with dhakshina.no comparison or uniformity in srardham.you need not borrow to pay dhakshina and srardham but if you can afford pl pay more.no hard and fast rule.even for mahalayam with bhojan i am paying rs400 each to 5 brahmins and another 400/500 as vadhyar dhakshina.though i am employed in a bank i dont know this is higherside or not.but onething my late athimber who was a sastrigal told me to pay more to vaidhhekas when you can afford.
i am also against the vadhyar talking in cell phone while performing the srardham by the kartha. any vaidheekas reading this please do athma vijaranai pl

I agree with Sarma Sastrigal. Just a point here. Dont fix rates for any vaidika karya and say I will give only this much to vadhyar. Unless one is in a daridra rupam, in miserable poverty, one should send the vadhyar happy with how much he wants. I have had experience with some vadhyars who requested more money. At that instant it felt a bit jarring, but then I realized that what must be the situation that a vadhyar requests money. We throw the money on unwanted things. These days if we add up our yearly hotel bills+cinema bills+ cable bills+(other entertaintment) etc we atleast spend that much in a year we can give to a vadhyar. There may be arrogant vadhyar, but we need to understand that they have come to this situation, probably because of the way they were talked to or the way they have been treated. There will be no harm in giving money to a vadhyar, we may hope that he will be more sincere in the rituals atleast next time, if they seem unsatisfactory now!

Namaskarams
i am also of the opinion that one should not do bargain the dhakshinas with vadhyar vise versa.but vadhyar must also do their work sicierly.vaidhikas are super computors.talking in cell while chanting the mantras during sraddham really hurts me because we are doing it sicerely.any interruption in the proceeding is not acceptable.moreover vaidheekas will lose their reputation and respect also in the society.pl ask them to do athma visaranai

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back