• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Hindus Unity...Need of The Hour...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks, unity is a good thing, unity gives strength, courage, camaraderie, etc. etc. These give power to the united group. But power is not an end in itself. How and for what purpose this power will be used need to be carefully considered. Unity is desirable only so long as the resulting power is used in a compassionate manner to promote the well being of all our brothers and sisters.

In this context, what is the purpose for this appeal for Hindu unity, and that too urgently, in this very hour?

From the discussions I have seen so far the main objective of this unity seems to be to stand against the unrelenting push for conversions coming from the west. If I am right in this assessment, then we should see (i) whether this threat of conversion is real and if so what is the magnitude of the threat, and (ii) is unity the answer for this threat.

Firstly, if you look at the census statistics of India you will notice that the percentages of Christians have remained more or less stable. So, the threat of mass conversion is largely a bogey man.

Secondly, prevention of the conversions that do take place does not require all Hindus to unite, which is a daunting task to say the least. There are two other simpler and more achievable things all of us can do instead.

From what I have observed, the reasons for preventable conversions are mainly social and some economical. The government provides a range of economic incentives such as reservations and subsidies to those who are vulnerable to convert. Let us support these programs, they will make the economic inducement less effective.

The second thing all of us can do to prevent conversion is to address the social reasons. Many of the potential converts do take the plunge out of despair that they are treated badly and not allowed into temples. I am sure putting a stop to these practices will take the second powerful reason to convert.

On the other hand, this call for unity may have nothing to do with conversion, it may just be a way to build a political movement to take India back from the oft derided pseudo-secularists. If this is the agenda, then I think Hindus are better off staying away from such attempts. Promoting a religion based political ideology is a dangerous thing.

On a different plane, is unity among Hindus even possible? Hindu society is divided and sub-divided into thousands of castes. With each caste, and even sub-caste, viewing caste solidarity as the be all and end all of life, how is this unity going to come about. Any such attempt is doomed to fail and ironically each caste will blame the other castes for the failure. Dr. Ambedkar dealt with this issue in detail, which I summarized here.

True unity is impossible among Hindus unless it gets rid of the caste system.

peace ...

Prof Nara sir,

My replies are in blue.

Folks, unity is a good thing, unity gives strength, courage, camaraderie, etc. etc. These give power to the united group. But power is not an end in itself. How and for what purpose this power will be used need to be carefully considered. Unity is desirable only so long as the resulting power is used in a compassionate manner to promote the well being of all our brothers and sisters.

In this context, what is the purpose for this appeal for Hindu unity, and that too urgently, in this very hour?

From the discussions I have seen so far the main objective of this unity seems to be to stand against the unrelenting push for conversions coming from the west. If I am right in this assessment, then we should see (i) whether this threat of conversion is real and if so what is the magnitude of the threat, and (ii) is unity the answer for this threat.

Firstly, if you look at the census statistics of India you will notice that the percentages of Christians have remained more or less stable. So, the threat of mass conversion is largely a bogey man.

Lot of daliths who are practicing Christians have not changed their religion in the records. It is mainly because Daliths belonging to Hindu, Budhist and Sikh religion can enjoy Schedule caste status where as Christian daliths cannot have the same status.

Secondly, prevention of the conversions that do take place does not require all Hindus to unite, which is a daunting task to say the least. There are two other simpler and more achievable things all of us can do instead.

From what I have observed, the reasons for preventable conversions are mainly social and some economical. The government provides a range of economic incentives such as reservations and subsidies to those who are vulnerable to convert. Let us support these programs, they will make the economic inducement less effective.

You are absolutely correct. Mostly Daliths and Tribes convert to Christianity. Instead of blaming the missionaries, Hindu outfits should do some good service to these sections both in education and medical fields.

What is the point in self styled God men accumulating billions of dollars worth assets. Even though they form a trust, it is purely a private affair with some eyewash program to hide their wrong doings.

Personally I am associated with a trust in Tsunami affected area inhibited by fishermen community.

Vidyanidhi Trust

Our programs have resulted in arresting the activities of missionaries and madarasas. We admit children of all religion and one muslim girl recites slokas perfectly. A Madarasa in the area is already closed and a missionary school is on the verge of closure.

The second thing all of us can do to prevent conversion is to address the social reasons. Many of the potential converts do take the plunge out of despair that they are treated badly and not allowed into temples. I am sure putting a stop to these practices will take the second powerful reason to convert.

Definitely we are treating all the children equally and are allowing them to visit the nearby Siva temple.

On the other hand, this call for unity may have nothing to do with conversion, it may just be a way to build a political movement to take India back from the oft derided pseudo-secularists. If this is the agenda, then I think Hindus are better off staying away from such attempts. Promoting a religion based political ideology is a dangerous thing.

I fully agree with you that we should not get involved in politics and do real service to poor and down trodden members of the depressed classes.

On a different plane, is unity among Hindus even possible? Hindu society is divided and sub-divided into thousands of castes. With each caste, and even sub-caste, viewing caste solidarity as the be all and end all of life, how is this unity going to come about. Any such attempt is doomed to fail and ironically each caste will blame the other castes for the failure. Dr. Ambedkar dealt with this issue in detail, which I summarized here.

True unity is impossible among Hindus unless it gets rid of the caste system.

There is no single Guru acceptable to all Hindus like Pope for Catholics. It is the same with all religions in the world. Only Catholics have single leadership and all other religions are fragmented. Hindu religion is no exception to that.

But we don't have to worry about that. Each and every sect among Hindu religion should start doing social work in tribal and backward areas so that the beneficiary will start thinking that our religion is doing something for them. We should start schools and hospitals in these areas where the services could mostly be self financing with some small percentage given free of cost to the needy.

peace ...

All the best

Our programs have resulted in arresting the activities of missionaries and madarasas. We admit children of all religion and one muslim girl recites slokas perfectly. A Madarasa in the area is already closed and a missionary school is on the verge of closure.

Dear RVR,

Great work. I am very happy to know that a missionary is on the verge of closure.

However i do not underestimate the threat of missionaries on Hindu conversions. The census could also provide wrong figures fearing scandals. From my knowledge, the missionaries have their reaches to all the villages, tribes, dalits, etc. The "Harvesting of Souls" is true and it should not be overlooked. Awareness should be raised and from my point of view unless a bill is passed regarding this issue in the government in a peaceful, tactical and strategic manner it continues to spread like a plague.

Click here for the census data

-> The percentage figure of christians does indeed show consistency. Another thought is that, a nadar christian in our locality identifies himself with the group of nadars, or christians, as it benefits the occasion; may be the case with other groups.

-> Moreover, the actual statistics may be hidden, to prove the secularistic stance of a hindu majority India, when decisions are taken pro-abrahamic religions.

-> Implicit in showing a minority are the need to retain the reservations and concessions. Again, this could be a boon for the them to claim more 'minority' concessions

------------------------------------------

A stop can be put to this only by banning religious conversions in India.

Regards,​

I dont know if this was already discussed here but this shows the real threat to Sanathana Dharma.

Devastation of infrastructure

All over the country, there are serious allegations of mismanagement and embezzlement of income and assets of the government controlled temples. Only a few illustrations are given here.

In State like Andhra Pradesh, the devotees’ offerings to temples are appropriated as government revenue; and are not used for Hindu community, or to promote Hindu religious activities. Besides, in several districts of Andhra Pradesh, thousands and thousands of acres of land owned by government controlled temples have been sold, alienated, gifted and permitted to be grabbed by land grabbers though the government has no right to do so since it is not the owner of temple lands.

In Bhadrachalam and Simhachalam, hundreds of acres of temple land have been given to Christian organisations. Moreover, the Endowment department has sold over 1,600 acres of Srisailam Temple land to various missionary organisations. And in 2005, 245 acres of prime land belonging to Seetharama Chandra Swamy temple at Devarayamjal was sold at throwaway price causing huge loss to the temple. And in 2006, the centuries old, 1,000 pillar Mandapam in Tirumala complex was demolished.

Situation in other states is equally appalling. As reported in a section of the Press, for the years 1997-98 to 2002-2003 for which figures are available, major portion of temple income in Karnataka was allocated to madrasas, mosques and churches; whereas temples got only a little amount.

In Kerala, State control has rendered innumerable temples dysfunctional. Besides, under the Kerala Land Reforms Act, over 12,000 acres of Guruvayoor temple’s land has been reduced to a few hundred acres only. And in Sabarimala, 2,500 acres of temple land has been sold by the government’s board. In Orissa also the administration has been selling Jagannath temple endowment lands. In Jammu and Kashmir, even Mata Vaishno Devi Temple University created with the funds of Vaishno Devi Temple does not have Hindu religious studies in its curriculum. Tamil Nadu’s position is equally dismal because of the problems inherent in government control of temples.

And though the church is the largest real-estate owner in the country, no church land has been controlled or alienated by the government.

We keep discussing here about donating money and doing social services to prevent conversions, but where does the money from our temples go? From the above information, they go to promoting Christianity and Islam and other Religions. If Hindus could unite and raise this issue in the government before they lose majority, i suppose this problem could be solved.

Last edited:
Here is a quote form Francois Gautier on the Christians in India:

“I am a Christian by birth and a Westerner by origin. I have studied mostly in Catholic schools. My Uncle Hugh Gautier, who was one of the noblest men I knew, was a priest in a beautiful church in Paris. My father, who was a famous artist in France, lived his entire life as a devout Catholic. They were regular visitors to the Church. Having come from this background, I get disturbed when I notice the extent to which Christianity is spreading across India under Sonia Gandhi’s rule.

According to Census 2001, there are 23.4 Lac Christians in India, which amounts to about 2.5%, and that is fairly negligible. However, India today has Christian Chief Ministers in five states: Nagaland, Mizoram, Meghalaya, Kerala and Andhra Pradesh. Most politicians in Sonia Gandhi’s inner circle are either Christians or Muslims. It seems like she doe not trust Hindus. Ambika Soni, a Christian, is Congress’ General Secretary and a powerful member of Sonia’s coterie. Oscar Fernandes is a minister who implements Centre’s policies. Margaret Alva is entrusted with motivating Maharashtra Congress with fear. Congress in Karnataka is virtually A K Antony’s domain and Sonia’s secretaries belong to various Christian organisations in India. Walson Thampu, a known anti-Hindu, is the head of NCERT’s (National Council for Educational Research and Training) Educational Committee. Sonia Gandhi nominated a known Hindu-baiter, John Dayal, to her National Integration Committee. Another anti-Hindu, Kancha Elliah, has implicit approval of the Government to plead to UN & US Congress to look into matters related to caste discrimination in India.

I have nothing personal against Sonia Gandhi. However, it is disconcerting to note that the number of conversions have increased exponentially since she has assumed the top-post in India. Approximately four thousand foreign Christian missionaries are actively converting people to Christianity in various states in India today. At the time of independence there were no Christians in Tripura; today, their numbers stand at 1.2 Lacs. Their numbers have risen by 90% since 1991. This is more pronounced in Arunachal Pradesh: it had 1770 Christians in 1921 as opposed to 12 Lacs today. Moreover, there are 780 churches there. A church is built almost every day in the remotest parts of Andhra Pradesh, apart from the plan to build a church at Tirupati. Mizo, Bodo and other such rebellions in the North-eastern states are actively fuelled by Christian missionaries. More than twenty thousand people have lost their lives in the last two decades due to these movements in Assam and Manipur. State-owned Indian Airlines deplaned Swami Avimuktananda for carrying a stick – a symbol of his renunciation. It was just a harmless piece of bamboo. This could only happen in a weak state like India where a foreigner like Sonia Gandhi has been allowed to rule.” (Francois Gautier: Francois Gautier 09343538419/09442123255)

Also:
It happens only in India
Media Syndicate: IT HAPPENS ONLY IN INDIA

by and large hindus are doing well in india.conversion can never be stopped in india,becoz when money is allowed to be funnelled thru various means,such conversions will continue.if we are able to shoulder our own responsibility for our hindu brother's and sister's,why will anybody even think of conversion.self-respect is the fundamental right of any human being anywhere in the world,whether one believes god,does not believe god or an agnostic.for a impoverished lot,how does it matter whether one chants krishna yeashu allah buddha jaina wahey guru........living conditions has to be met with sanitary conditions prevailing with ecology being taken care,so much we can learn together and teach as well.

......self-respect is the fundamental right of any human being anywhere in the world,.........

NN, I know you probably will make me regret saying this, but I really wonder how a person who says the above can also say Dalit women lack morals. You are a living, breathing, oxymoron.

Cheers!

p.s. Just to be safe, oxymoron does not mean moron of any kind, it simply means a contradiction in terms.

NN, I know you probably will make me regret saying this, but I really wonder how a person who says the above can also say Dalit women lack morals. You are a living, breathing, oxymoron.

Cheers!

p.s. Just to be safe, oxymoron does not mean moron of any kind, it simply means a contradiction in terms.
:p nara

i can't possibly write my personal leela's with dalit women can i before my marriage :) ? anubhavam or experiance is one of the best teacher's,knowing you as much as i do from your writings in the forum,i can safely hazard a guess,that you have very limited exposure to dalit women - no personal offence meant to you and your dalit women :embarassed:

it's their fundamental right to be treated with dignity and i treated them with dignity,it's a mutually respectable association nara,dunno if my writing's came out offensive or not,or whether your mind is playing tricks,take a pick :focus:

in any case it was for indian unity or to be more precise hindu unity!

....the actual statistics may be hidden,

Dear Saptha, how could this be done? The last census data available in the web is from year 2001. At that time BJP was ruling India. Even otherwise, how could you go about manipulating data?

Moreover, to prove the secularistic stance of a hindu majority India, when decisions are taken pro-abrahamic religions.
I don't understand this point. Can you be more specific? Please give me some statistics, reports, or at least examples.

Implicit in showing a minority are the need to retain the reservations and concessions.
RVR is also saying this.

Are census databases with personal identities available for cross referencing for the purpose of granting benefits under reservation? If not, why would anyone lie about their religious affiliation in the census.

People may still lie because they are not sure whether it will affect their reservation status or not. If this is indeed widespread, then, do you think counting them properly as Christians will show that there has been waves and waves of conversions that threaten the very survival of Sanatana Darma?

In any case, if they are lying about their religious conversion only to protect their reservation benefits, then, does that not mean their conversion was genuine? How can one object to conversion based on true change in belief?

...A stop can be put to this only by banning religious conversions in India.
Saptha, why do you think people convert? What tactics of the foreign missionaries do you think are immoral or unethical? Do you think keeping the Dalits from entering temples, or participating equally in festivals, etc., play a part in this?

I think what faith, if any, to hold and profess is a fundamental right. A blanket ban is draconian to say the least. Such a law should be untenable in a liberal democracy like India.

Cheers!

Prof Nara said

Are census databases with personal identities available for cross referencing for the purpose of granting benefits under reservation? If not, why would anyone lie about their religious affiliation in the census.

People may still lie because they are not sure whether it will affect their reservation status or not. If this is indeed widespread, then, do you think counting them properly as Christians will show that there has been waves and waves of conversions that threaten the very survival of Sanatana Darma?

In any case, if they are lying about their religious conversion only to protect their reservation benefits, then, does that not mean their conversion was genuine? How can one object to conversion based on true change in belief?

Even a caste based census is very difficult since the enumerating official is not equipped with necessary verification mechanism. Please read the following article where Home Minister Chidambaram has told Parliament about practical difficulties.

Chorus for caste-based census within Cabinet - India - The Times of India

Coming to hiding their religion, it is not a great thing. Daliths and tribes are not attached to any religion. Missionaries pay money to convert them to their religion. They serve Briyani in the Church after Prayer every Sunday. These sort of inducements will not retain the beneficiaries in the religion. The beneficiary at the same time doesn't want to reveal his conversion to the officials visiting for enumeration.

But one thing is certain. Only daliths are the soft targets for the missionaries. Other castes doesn't get induced just like that. Even Nadar community which got converted long back is returning back to the parent religion. Only 10% of the Nadars are still christians according to the website of Nadar Sangam.

About Nadar community (south indian) - An Indian Caste system

Once economic prosperity is achieved, all the erstwhile converts will return back to the Sanadhana Dharma.

At the same time, I wish Hindu outfits should reach out to the poor and downtrodden sections of the society so that missionaries doesn't fish in troubled waters.

All the best

...Only daliths are the soft targets for the missionaries.

.... I wish Hindu outfits should reach out to the poor and downtrodden sections of the society

RVR, The fact of the matter is, village after village there is tension between the Dalits and caste Hindus with flash point for clashes often being on the issue of temple entry and participation in Hindu temple festivals.

Not a single Brahminical institution can speak out about any of this with a straight face. If they did, they will be laughed at. It is self-serving to reject these criticisms as just brahmin hatred. Just look at what the web site of one prominent Brahminical institution says about caste.
When a man thinks of abandoning his dharma - the duties allotted to him by birth (emphasis mine)- you must persuade him not to do so and impress upon him that he must remain loyal to his dharma since it serves not only him individually but all others.

When the entire society was divided into small groups called jatis, not only did one jati have affection for another, each also trusted the other. There was indeed a feeling of kinship among all members of the community. This was the reason why the threat of excommunication was dreaded.

When it comes to caste matters and social justice, Brahmins will never be trusted by the general public unless the ideology reflected by the above statements is publicly abandoned.

It is true that there is no single authority that can bring about the needed change just by writing an encyclical. But, if one institution takes the lead, the others may follow. Change often comes one small step at a time and when a critical mass is achieved, societal change becomes inevitable. That, I think, is the need of the hour. Then, Hindu unity will be a happy byproduct

Cheers.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is to why Hindu to Christian conversions are unethical.

In case a Bill is passed such that those missionaries converting people of India should take them to their country of origin, then many Indians would come forward to do so. If people start pouring into another country (which have a lot of space and resources to raise the converted Indian Christians) then there would be an issue of RACIAL DISCRIMINATION. The question of whether or not "i am a Christian" or whether or not "i pray to jesus or mary" no longer exists. The offence would be, "what are Indians doing in my soil?".

Hence what we are comes with where we originated. The missionaries come to our soil and convert our people. Although it is done in the name of peace, the question still arises, "i am a Christian" and "i need more churches built for my religion" and "i want to convert more Hindus to get my incentives" which gives rise to religious discrimination and arguments within the country when the flash point is reached. This results in scandals within the country which is already corrupted with unfair politics. We had one such scandal already in Orissa.

The present Sonia's congress government i suppose is directed towards that goal. When law and order breaks down, that would be a chance for any developed nation to bring in their military like what has happened in Iraq and Afganistan.

Now if we think we could understand the clever manipulation of Christian missionaries upon us. They are pouring money into us today, but if we consider the wider consequences of their actions, i suppose conversions are not only unethical but has a criminal motive.

Last edited:
Here is to why Hindu to Christian conversions are unethical.

In case a Bill is passed ....

..... If people start pouring into another country

... This results in scandals within the country

.... that would be a chance for any developed nation to bring in their military like what has happened in Iraq and Afganistan.

Sorry Siddhanta, I am not able to relate to your hypothetical fears.

peace ...

Sorry Siddhanta, I am not able to relate to your hypothetical fears.

If you dont want to relate why do you even take the effort of posting a reply and feeling sorry? After all, these fears are only "hypothetical".

BTW why do you want cut and paste like this?

In case a Bill is passed ....

..... If people start pouring into another country

... This results in scandals within the country

.... that would be a chance for any developed nation to bring in their military like what has happened in Iraq and Afganistan.

Please read the full analysis.

The Christian conspiracy to destabilise India

Radical Christianity is just as threatening as Radical Islam: Insult in Italian. Italy Govt. and Sonia should read, 'Evangelical project in Orissa' and the Pope should see the videos:

YouTube - Radical Christianity is Just as Threatenin as Radical Islam

Radical Christians want to convert the whole world to Christianity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awi3u_i_47g&feature=related

"…No this time we are talking about radical Christians…They want to convert the whole world to Christianity. A sudden chance is given to them, with the start of the war in Iraq."
Christianity and World Conquest

YouTube - Christianity and World Conquest ep.1

A Video worth watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owCXbDVTLRE

Assault on India
http://www.christianaggression.org/features_survey.php

Last edited:
RVR, The fact of the matter is, village after village there is tension between the Dalits and caste Hindus with flash point for clashes often being on the issue of temple entry and participation in Hindu temple festivals.

Not a single Brahminical institution can speak out about any of this with a straight face. If they did, they will be laughed at. It is self-serving to reject these criticisms as just brahmin hatred. Just look at what the web site of one prominent Brahminical institution says about caste.
When a man thinks of abandoning his dharma - the duties allotted to him by birth (emphasis mine)- you must persuade him not to do so and impress upon him that he must remain loyal to his dharma since it serves not only him individually but all others.

When the entire society was divided into small groups called jatis, not only did one jati have affection for another, each also trusted the other. There was indeed a feeling of kinship among all members of the community. This was the reason why the threat of excommunication was dreaded.

When it comes to caste matters and social justice, Brahmins will never be trusted by the general public unless the ideology reflected by the above statements is publicly abandoned.

It is true that there is no single authority that can bring about the needed change just by writing an encyclical. But, if one institution takes the lead, the others may follow. Change often comes one small step at a time and when a critical mass is achieved, societal change becomes inevitable. That, I think, is the need of the hour. Then, Hindu unity will be a happy byproduct

Cheers.....

Prof Nara Sir,

At my native village, we are trying to bring Daliths on board in the development projects in spite of opposition from certain caste Hindu sections.

We , brahmins have practically vocated the village over a period of time but we have reassembled this year to revive the development work. In fact we have taken a temple patronized by all communities including Daliths for renovation work to bring everybody on board.

However we have started work on vocational courses, starting a English medium High school, hospital etc which is going to serve all communities.

Uniting all the people (Our village has only Hindus) and improving Human Development Index in the village is our main goal.

All the

Conversion is an evil practise.If anyone voluntarily changes,then its their personal choice.But scheming to convert,is an afrront to the ishta devata that they bring in to convert,as a matter fact,the originating money for conversion from those countries into India,will eventually lose their existing base itself,law of nature.

Sonia Ghandhi, being an Italian, (Rome is the home of the Vatican) was planned to marry Rajiv Gandhi to penetrate into Indian politics and achieve their goal of conversions.

This might simply sound like conspiracy, but who cares about it?

Dear Saptha, how could this be done? The last census data available in the web is from year 2001. At that time BJP was ruling India. Even otherwise, how could you go about manipulating data?
What data? What are the crosschecks? What is the integrity of data presented? The enormity of the exercise can be subtly used by any govt. body to suit their agenda, since there cannot be a subsequent verification.

I don't understand this point. Can you be more specific? Please give me some statistics, reports, or at least examples.
Individuals have hindu names and profess to be hindus when they are up against any cause against the majority religion; in reality, they are discreet converts whose real faces are not scripted in public. Neither does it sell in the govt. sphere who are predominantly pseudo-secular... The truth is conveniently ignored.

Why not? They lie if they have to gain. Religion is probably one of the simplest methods by which one can make money or create trouble.

... If this is indeed widespread, then, do you think counting them properly as Christians will show that there has been waves and waves of conversions that threaten the very survival of Sanatana Darma?
Well then, what else could be the reason? Unless, of course, if each christian family breeds more than the average...!

Moreover, statistics need not be the only way to highlight the agenda of the missionaries. I studied in a convent and there are little things, like saying the christian prayer, bible quotes in the calendar, allowing missionaries to preach, etc... Then again, there are those who distribute pamphlets to the public (not to christians). And a lot more...

They will lie again, if being a hindu offers them a gain. Whether India is secular or not, I do not know, but ironically, religion is THE factor in electing such a govt.!

Saptha, why do you think people convert? What tactics of the foreign missionaries do you think are immoral or unethical? Do you think keeping the Dalits from entering temples, or participating equally in festivals, etc., play a part in this?
What is really the ethical angle of conversion in todays world? Why should wooing people in the name of religions be allowed?

Regards,

and i thot nithya means eternal ananda is bliss ......sapthajihva pray tell me i am right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back