• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Hinduism >> reciting Namaas

Status
Not open for further replies.
dear Dr Sundaram,

Naamavallis are 108/1008...i have read before that 108= 1+0+8= 9

1008= 1+0+0+8=9

It has something to do with the number 9 but I cant remember the significance of 9 fully...in other words I have forgotten.
I only remember one significance of the number 9. Our body is considered 9 gated owing to 9 biological orifices.

i found this useful link anyway

http://www.hinduwisdom.info/articles_hinduism/112.htm

renu

Last edited:
dear Dr Sundaram,

Naamavallis are 108/1008...i have read before that 108= 1+0+8= 9

1008= 1+0+0+8=9

It has something to do with the number 9 but I cant remember the significance of 9 fully...in other words I have forgotten.
I only remember one significance of the number 9. Our body is considered 9 gated owing to 9 biological orifices.

i found this useful link anyway

Hindu Wisdom

renu
dr renuka
thank you so much for not only responding but also being the first one to have given your inputs. Then, if 9 is the factor, why it should not be 99, 999 something of this order... why 108 or 1008? Anyhow, thanks once again.

Last edited:
re

dr renuka
thank you so much for not only responding but also being the first one to have given your inputs. Then, if 9 is the factor, why it should not be 99, 999 something of this order... why 108 or 1008? Anyhow, thanks once again.

Dr.S,

108 - According to Hindus 108 is considered special. There are 36 nerves which comes out of our heart as per upanishads. so each nerve we chant 3 mantras or 3 names. so 36*3 = 108

1008 - This is a bigger answer. To understand we need to know more about Yugams.

One month of human life --> one day for heavenly souls(dead persons)

one year of human life --> one day of devas ( Indra, Vayu, Agni etc)

43,20,000 yrs of human life --> one maha yugam (which includes Krutha, Tretha, Dwapara and Kali Yugam)

72 maha yugam --> one manvantharam

14 manvantara ---> is one Kalpam which is half day of lord Brahma

another Kalpam is another half day of lord Brahma

so 14 manvantaram X 72 mahayugam =1008 mahayugams

so for each mahayugam we need to give one name for lord. We are the same atma which are taking birth again and again.

according to hindus total nakshhatram in solar system are 27 and revolving around the moon, they are completing their cycle forward and reverse direction is 27x4=108.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/108_(number)

nachi naga

Sow.Sri.Renka, & Sri.DrSundaram Sir,

I loved to recite Sri Rudram. 300 naamas.

Cheers!

Dear Raghy,

3+0+0= 3 gunas(Sattva,Rajas,Tamas)
jeevaatma+prakrithi+paramaatma =3
father+son+holy ghost=3
A+U+M=AUM(3)
Gross body+Subtle Body+Causal Body=3
Brahma+Vishnu+Maheshwara=3
Awake state+Dream state+Deep sleep state=3

Just kidding around....

re

Dear Raghy,

3+0+0= 3 gunas(Sattva,Rajas,Tamas)
jeevaatma+prakrithi+paramaatma =3
father+son+holy ghost=3
A+U+M=AUM(3)
Gross body+Subtle Body+Causal Body=3
Brahma+Vishnu+Maheshwara=3
Awake state+Dream state+Deep sleep state=3

Just kidding around....

3 x 3 = 9

numbers that represent eternity

1, 8, 9, 0.when added = 9.

nachi naga.

namaas! is this not muslim prayer? are we trying to incorporate this as part of our tradition? not a bad idea, maybe?

though, i should say, very revolutionary.

should be thought out in the context of current troubles in malaysia, where chinese language journals used the word 'allah' for good, much to the chagrin of the malays, who felt 'allah' was only muslim god.

re

namaas! is this not muslim prayer? are we trying to incorporate this as part of our tradition? not a bad idea, maybe?

though, i should say, very revolutionary.

should be thought out in the context of current troubles in malaysia, where chinese language journals used the word 'allah' for good, much to the chagrin of the malays, who felt 'allah' was only muslim god.

allah is arabic language 1500 years back,wonder why malay language is not used.the concept itself is nirgunam brahman from sanathanam dharmam.

nachi naga.

my contribution.....

---> The number 9 represents wholeness and 108 when added together equals 9. 1+0+8 = 9. Interestingly, if you multiply 9 times ANYTHING, the answer is always 9 when you add the numbers together. Try it! 1x9= 9. 2x9=18 1+8=9. 285x9=2565 2+5+6+5=18 1+8=9. 8543x9=76887 7+6+8+8+7=36 3+6=9 The logic behind this is that 9 represents wholeness or God and God times anything is always God since God is all there is!
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]---> The 9 planets travelling through the 12 signs constitutes the whole of existence. 9 x 12 = 108[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]---> The 27 nakshatras or lunar constellations spread over the 4 elements - fire, earth, air, water or the 4 directions - north, south, east, and west. This also constitutes the whole of existence. 27 x 4 = 108[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]---> Consider the powers of 1, 2, and 3 in math: 1 to 1st power = 1; 2 to 2nd power = 4 (2x2); 3 to 3rd power = 27 (3x3x3). 1x4x27 = 108. The logic behind this is that 1 represents 1 dimensional reality, 2 represents 2 dimensional reality, 3 represents 3 dimensional reality. When you mulitply their powers together then you encompass the whole of existence. [/FONT]
---> The diameter of the Sun is 108 times the diameter of the earth (give or take a few miles).
---> Mean Diameter of the Sun: 1.39 million km,Equatorial Diameter of earth : 12756 km, Ratio of diameter of sun to diameter of earth : 108 !!!approx

allah is arabic language 1500 years back,wonder why malay language is not used.the concept itself is nirgunam brahman from sanathanam dharmam.

nachi naga.

as far as i know, the malays followed a version of hinduism or buddhism till a few hundred years ago, when they were converted peacefully by the arab merchants.

till recently,their islam was a mild one, more superficial, with strong tremors of hinduism underlying it.

in fact, their ramzan festival, i was surprised, is called hari raya poosa!!

since malay independence, in order to differentiate and assert themselves among a sea of chinese, the malays have become more radical muslims and a state mandated muslim society with special rules and rights for its malaly citizens.

incidentally, i was told, that the tamil muslims, often marry local women and try to pass off as malays.

thanks Sri Nachi Naga,You say there are 36 nerves originating from our heart, as per Upanishad. Obvioulsy metaphysical heart, right . Any names of these nerves mentioned in Upanishad? Just for my personal knowledge, like ... naadi,.....naadi like etc. that we should chant three per nerve or three is your choice?.if not, how the three was followed. May be something we can not go on be questioning . we should stop at a stage, may be. Becos logic can not applied to everything. If that is so, i will like to close my this question with big thanks to all who has contributed to my query. Sri Kunjuppu: thanks to your note homorous vein about namaas, naamas. thanks
God bless us all.

DRS,
thanks Sri Nachi Naga,You say there are 36 nerves originating from our heart, as per Upanishad. Obvioulsy metaphysical heart, right . Any names of these nerves mentioned in Upanishad? Just for my personal knowledge, like ... naadi,.....naadi like etc. that we should chant three per nerve or three is your choice?.if not, how the three was followed. May be something we can not go on be questioning . we should stop at a stage, may be. Becos logic can not applied to everything. If that is so, i will like to close my this question with big thanks to all who has contributed to my query. Sri Kunjuppu: thanks to your note homorous vein about namaas, naamas. thanks
God bless us all.

I have gained a fraction of knowledge available from sources either in written material,orally tramitted,self-attained from sources unknown to me myself as to origin of the source,gurus kripa,deiva sankalpam.I feel like expressing my opinions,and whenever possible i try my level best,to direct to the source.You have answered your own queries in a scintillating fashion,sir,my respects to you.

I can give a clue.Try,the focal point of umpteen nerves at the third eye.Also visualise any object that you desire, on the back of your neck opposite it to throat chakra.You may even get it on your own accord.Thanks.

nachi naga.

Disclaimer:Its my opinions expressed.I am not a bonafide guru in its truest sense.Make decisions on your spiritual practices after sound thinking reading and actions of others,in spiritual path.

To Dr Sundram sir, NAAM is an tool for meditation and one should get from a Guru only. The NAAM is unique 5 and meditate with the NAAm in EYE center and put your mind in it then the mind will enjoy the NAAm and slowly uplift the soul and enjoy the anhatha Natham ( sound current) ringing 24 hrs. The method is called SURAT SHABHTA YOGA. s.r.k.

Sri Satsangi, I think i have to remind the qtn again , i e i wanted to know only the reason for selecting the Nos as>> why 108 ? or why 1008 namaas while performing archanai ashtothram or at sahasranama ashthothram. why not differnet nos.
Focussing on Eye center, Naam etc etc are not within the purview of subject qtn , I think please.

To Dr Sundram sir. This Counting nos of 108 and 1008 are not having any significance just to kill the mind for quite some time only. But the Naam from a GURU is Highly Valuebul that this archanI and astothram etc., s.r.k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back