• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Hinduism: Member in good standing letter of acknowledgment

Zephrum

Namaste,

Advice requested: In other religions such as Judaism, Christianity, etc, there are churches, and churches have their systems and hierarchies. They also have the Minister or Chaplain or Preacher who can make decisions about others in their congregation who can hold their own religious services. In the US Military this is also a mandatory part of becoming a Lay Leader or (someone who is able to host religious services for their respective religious beliefs). However, in Hinduism it is not so clear who can give that sort of acknowledgment, and furthermore as wide and diverse and open as Hinduism is, it would also be difficult to obtain this sort of an acknowledgment as I am sure it would appear to many other Hindu's that if a fellow Hindu wanted to gather with others of his or her respective faith group that, that would not necessarily necessitate a Shaman or a Yogi, or someone who was of a spiritual leader background. Only to be a temple yogi would you need that, only to be a temple leader would that be needed, but to create a space where others can gather and practice their Hindu faith with others, without a Yogi or Spiritual Leader present how would that person be able to obtain a letter of acknowledgment? I have been a Hindu for a little over 4 years now, and have been a solo follower only because I move around alot, and there aren't other Temples or Ashrams or Spiritual Leaders that I would have access to in most places I go. So it occured to me that perhaps I could create that space for others to gather and study, and worship, and meditate, and practice their faith without myself being the person who guides them but only provides them the communion. But have yet to be able to meet that acknowledgment requirement. Any advice?

Namaste,

Advice requested: In other religions such as Judaism, Christianity, etc, there are churches, and churches have their systems and hierarchies. They also have the Minister or Chaplain or Preacher who can make decisions about others in their congregation who can hold their own religious services. In the US Military this is also a mandatory part of becoming a Lay Leader or (someone who is able to host religious services for their respective religious beliefs). However, in Hinduism it is not so clear who can give that sort of acknowledgment, and furthermore as wide and diverse and open as Hinduism is, it would also be difficult to obtain this sort of an acknowledgment as I am sure it would appear to many other Hindu's that if a fellow Hindu wanted to gather with others of his or her respective faith group that, that would not necessarily necessitate a Shaman or a Yogi, or someone who was of a spiritual leader background. Only to be a temple yogi would you need that, only to be a temple leader would that be needed, but to create a space where others can gather and practice their Hindu faith with others, without a Yogi or Spiritual Leader present how would that person be able to obtain a letter of acknowledgment? I have been a Hindu for a little over 4 years now, and have been a solo follower only because I move around alot, and there aren't other Temples or Ashrams or Spiritual Leaders that I would have access to in most places I go. So it occured to me that perhaps I could create that space for others to gather and study, and worship, and meditate, and practice their faith without myself being the person who guides them but only provides them the communion. But have yet to be able to meet that acknowledgment requirement. Any advice?
Namaste..
What you are seeking is called Sat-Sang.
Its a group of like minded people who get together on regular basis for prayer/bhajan, study circle, meditate, charity, social work etc.

You mentioned you have been following Hinduism for 4 years.
I guess your cultural background isnt Indian?
Correct me if I am wrong.

If you come from a Non Indian background may be you could apply some practices of your former religion.
The Abrahamic faiths have a good network and support system.
So you could use that system to manage your Sat- Sang.

Best of luck..keep things simple..God is in simplicity...everyone can learn from each other.
So no acute need for a leader.

Namaste..
What you are seeking is called Sat-Sang.
Its a group of like minded people who get together on regular basis for prayer/bhajan, study circle, meditate, charity, social work etc.

You mentioned you have been following Hinduism for 4 years.
I guess your cultural background isnt Indian?
Correct me if I am wrong.

If you come from a Non Indian background may be you could apply some practices of your former religion.
The Abrahamic faiths have a good network and support system.
So you could use that system to manage your Sat- Sang.

Best of luck..keep things simple..God is in simplicity...everyone can learn from each other.
So no acute need for a leader.
Correct, my cultural background is not Indian. Making use of other religious backgrounds is not an option because the letter must come from my religion. Otherwise that would be a great idea.

Namaste,

A letter from any of the Ashrams, or missions will carry the same recognition.
Depending on your location, you can approach RamaKrishna Matt, Vedanta society, Chinmaya Mission, etc.

Correct, my cultural background is not Indian. Making use of other religious backgrounds is not an option because the letter must come from my religion. Otherwise that would be a great idea.
You could try Sathya Sai Organization.
They have the Sarva Dharma concept and all 6 major faiths are recognized.
The 6 are
1) Hinduism
2)Buddhism
3)Zorastranism
4)Judaism
5)Christianity
6)Islam

Its a very neutral organization with full emphasis on Vedic culture/ Vedam chanting/Sat Sang at the same time all inclusive of all major religions and major festivals of other religions are celebrated in their gatherings.

Btw my earlier post was not a suggestion to " make use" of other religious backgrounds but its just for you to include the communion concept of Abrahamic faiths into Sat Sang like how ISCKON has taken into the Abrahamic way of reaching out to the masses through direct preaching and study groups.
Its like acknowledging the whole world is one family and we can learn from all cultures and religions while adhering to Sanathana Dharma.

Last edited:
India Association, Tamil Associations, Kerala Association.... located through out Europe could help you.

Once you remove the cover of all religions, they all will say there is a GOD and we are his or her children. But making people to be humble and think through will be a tough task, because intellectually thinking is very difficult. I had gone Church 9in fact my wife helped a Christian Father's wife for 40 days at our home when she had delivered a baby, they are in Tirsur, kerala now), Muslim Mosque (I studied in a Muslim run school), I had particiapted Buddhist's ceremonies in Bhutan and so on. Matured people in all these religion behave just like my cousin, but half-backed self doubting people in all religion practice discrimination.

Reading on the original post, I get the feeling that Zephrum is looking for a certificate that will help him get the job of a "Hindu" chaplain in the US armed forces.

He is probably more qualified than some of us, about Hinduism.

What is your secret or hidden agenda?
Nothing. The ideaof helping Brahmans do not come in your writing. You are staying in USA and share USA political info. You may be a brahmanb but it is not helping any Indian. I read most newspaper you read - from USA. UK., India. What we need from you is about our ancestors, their reasoning etc. If you do not agree, then you always compalin about hidden agenda. A real Brahman has no hidden agenda and wants welfare of all - Sarvo sukhino bavantu.
When we discuss about ideas, nothin is personal. Any argument should add to our knowledge and not some hidden understanding of some one else.
This does not mean disrespect to you and there is no need for defensive posts.
How ever, as a Brahman, wish you best of luck.

Nothing. The ideaof helping Brahmans do not come in your writing. You are staying in USA and share USA political info. You may be a brahmanb but it is not helping any Indian. I read most newspaper you read - from USA. UK., India. What we need from you is about our ancestors, their reasoning etc. If you do not agree, then you always compalin about hidden agenda. A real Brahman has no hidden agenda and wants welfare of all - Sarvo sukhino bavantu.
When we discuss about ideas, nothin is personal. Any argument should add to our knowledge and not some hidden understanding of some one else.
This does not mean disrespect to you and there is no need for defensive posts.
How ever, as a Brahman, wish you best of luck.
Fair enough. You have every right to post what you deem appropriate. So do I.
I choose to migrate to the USA, I am Tamil Brahmin from North India, now residing in the USA, I love India, I write about India and Indians. I generally do not write about American politics in this forum but do clarify misinformation that affects people of Indian origin.

Just because I contradict you does not mean I do not respect you. You are a well-informed member and you write beautifully.
As a Human being to another Human being namaste.

Fair enough. You have every right to post what you deem appropriate. So do I.
I choose to migrate to the USA, I am Tamil Brahmin from North India, now residing in the USA, I love India, I write about India and Indians. I generally do not write about American politics in this forum but do clarify misinformation that affects people of Indian origin.

Just because I contradict you does not mean I do not respect you. You are a well-informed member and you write beautifully.
As a Human being to another Human being namaste.
Thanks for the compliment, but I do not write to insult any one. Just reminding that our focus should be how to help the Brahman community and also help others.

Latest ads

Back