• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Hinduism Knowledge project - Need help and support - Anyone Interested ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading up on a lot of history and other information about hinduism. I found that there is an ocean of information but less than 5-10% of it is organized and made available to everyone.

Unbiased Indian / hindu history (without any negationism, whitewashing or rewriting by our govts)
List of temples and knowledge about them
Our scriptures and other literature
Our practices
Books by modern day authors

I added some information to wikipedia but i noticed that some are either removed or are edited.
I also noticed that some of the sites that have good information go offline and all the information there become inaccessible.
A lot of knowledge about hinduism is only present with people but, it might be passed on orally and not otherwise. It has to be written down and made available to everyone.

So, I decided to start something on my own.

I downloaded Mediawiki (The software that wikipedia runs on).
(this would be accessible to everyone and will be collaborative).

I just want to build up a huge database myself, organize it and make it accessible to everyone. I would also promote it so that other people would know.

However, I am running a business and find very little time. I would need help from a lot of other people.
kno
No contributions of money. Just time, effort and knowledge.

If anyone knows how to install mediawiki and configure it, please let me know. I would surely need some technical support.
If anyone has any books on hinduism, please let me know.
I found a lot of people have tons of knowledge here. Please don't let it stay with you. Contribute what you know.

Any contribution - Listing a few temples, books, literature, photos, technical support,,...anything you can think of, would be great.

Please respond to this thread or send me a PM.

Thank you

அன்புள்ள நண்பர் சங்கர் அவர்களுக்கு,

வாழ்த்துக்கள்.

கல் தோண்றி மண் தோண்றா காலத்தே முண் தோண்றிய மூத்த மொழி

தமிழ் என்பது எவ்வள்வு தூரம் உண்மையோ அது போல,

நம இந்து மதமும் தோன்றிய காலம் யாருக்கும் தெரியாது.

அத்தனை பழமையான மதம்...

பெருமையான மதமும் கூட.

கோவில் களை பற்றி என்ன வேண்டுமானாலும் என்னிடம் அனுகலாம்.

எனக்கு தெரிந்த விஷயங்களை உங்களோடு பகிர்ந்துகொள்ள தயராக

இருக்கிறேன்.

எனது கை பேசி 99521-63523.

கோவில் கட்டுவது எனது தொழில் என்பதை தங்களுக்கு நினைவூட்டுகிறேன்.

Awesome sankaran narayanan.

Do you have any books on temples that we can collect and scan so that we would have a backup of it that the volunteers would be able to use when typing content into the websites?

What do you think about tamil/English language issues that we might have?

I think the site should be in both languages (more than 2 if possible).

But certain books are only in English or tamil. How do we get good quality translations done?

-----------

PS: I was really expecting more people to participate in this. Everyone seems to complain and point fingers. But no one wants to work and do anything about it.

dear Sankar,

Once you have built your site please let me know I will contribute on the religion and its philosophy. though time is a constraint for me I will certainly contribute. all the best.

"கல் தோண்றி மண் தோண்றா காலத்தே முண் தோண்றிய மூத்த மொழி

அத்தனை பழமையான மதம்.."

As a self-proclaimed Atheist who did not worship any God in the past 40 years (all my adult life), my interest in this passage relates to Human History.

About 50,000 years ago, humans -the Homo sapiens - migrated out of Africa (their Original Place of Evolution). A massive migration took either a Northern or a Southern Route.... Northern Route populated the Europe, Asia, then North and South America.

The Southern Route took to Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, India, Indonesia then Australia.

Of all this places, only in India large families stayed and built their very Early Civilization in the World (Indus, Harappan and Mehrgarh Civilization).

Most of these people are the Tamils and many have been polytheistic and idol worshipers, who later became Hindus...

Since we don't know the exact time The First Tamil Sangam was started, Tamil is considered the most ancient of All languages, including Sanskrit which came from the migrating peoples of Central Asia southward...

Yes, Tamil is a timeless language, very very ancient... and perhaps Hinduism is about 3500 years old (started in Vedic Period in 1500 BCE)...

Just a thought!

:)

Last edited:
About 50,000 years ago, humans -the Homo sapiens - migrated out of Africa (their Original Place of Evolution). A massive migration took either a Northern or a Southern Route.... Northern Route populated the Europe, Asia, then North and South America.

The Southern Route took to Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, India, Indonesia then Australia.
:)

Yamaka,

Acc. to Darwin related research, The first migration of Neanderthals/Homos was thru land, into Europe, Middle East to NW India and Java. It was estimated around 1.8 million years, and that first homo species didn't have idea of Tools/axes/rafts, hence in no way could cross the Indian Ocean. So, the migration must have been only through the North fo Africa.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_migration

[Yes, Tamil is a timeless language, very very ancient... and perhaps Hinduism is about 3500 years old (started in Vedic Period in 1500 BCE)...

Tamil borrows lot of grammar and language from sanskrit. Tamil was more refined druing Sangam period to remove the borrowed sanskrit words.

and perhaps Hinduism is about 3500 years old (started in Vedic Period in 1500 BCE)...

That must be MaxMuller's dating, Krishna's period was dated 3500BC [ list of 30 generations before Magadha Emp.].

Puru - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As in the above link:
Puru was the ancestor of Emperor Bharata. Kuru was born after 25 generations of Puru's dynasty, and after 15 generations of Kuru, Kauravas and Pandavas were born. According to Puranic tradition, the war occurred 95 generations after Manu Vaivasvata, which means 55 generations earlier than Puru, was the beginning of Manu (First Man), which is about 10,000 years ahead of Krishna's time [3500BC]. [Assuming average human age was 100, but could have been different over various periods]

Last edited:
I was reading up on a lot of history and other information about hinduism. I found that there is an ocean of information but less than 5-10% of it is organized and made available to everyone.

Unbiased Indian / hindu history (without any negationism, whitewashing or rewriting by our govts)
List of temples and knowledge about them
Our scriptures and other literature
Our practices
Books by modern day authors

I added some information to wikipedia but i noticed that some are either removed or are edited.
I also noticed that some of the sites that have good information go offline and all the information there become inaccessible.
A lot of knowledge about hinduism is only present with people but, it might be passed on orally and not otherwise. It has to be written down and made available to everyone.

So, I decided to start something on my own.

I downloaded Mediawiki (The software that wikipedia runs on).
(this would be accessible to everyone and will be collaborative).

I just want to build up a huge database myself, organize it and make it accessible to everyone. I would also promote it so that other people would know.

However, I am running a business and find very little time. I would need help from a lot of other people.
kno
No contributions of money. Just time, effort and knowledge.

If anyone knows how to install mediawiki and configure it, please let me know. I would surely need some technical support.
If anyone has any books on hinduism, please let me know.
I found a lot of people have tons of knowledge here. Please don't let it stay with you. Contribute what you know.

Any contribution - Listing a few temples, books, literature, photos, technical support,,...anything you can think of, would be great.

Please respond to this thread or send me a PM.

Thank you

Hindu religion has given rise to lot of writings in various ways, right from the vedas and the rest of the scriptures, to the books on most of these by European indologists, to books and commentaries by Indian authors and so on and so forth. Almost all of these books will extol Hinduism, there will not be many which critically review the scriptures.

I will humbly suggest to you, Shri Sankar, that in your proposed project let there be unbiased critical reviews of the Hindu religion also, along with the rest of the usual paraphernalia.

I am an old man (70+) with no knowledge of computers or wikimedia. Hence my ability to contribute to your project will be very limited.

Hinduism knowledge (title of the site)

I think it might be better to make it a wordpress site instead so that it would be easy for everyone.

These are the categories that I have thought of so far:

categories:

Temples
Scriptures or literature
History
Language
Science
Medicine
Books
Philosophy
Gods / deities
Gurus / teachers
Festivals
Rituals
Links
Projects
People
Tamil

Each of the categories would have subcategories.
There would be posts under each subcategories that have the content.

I will buy a domain name and buy webhosting for this domain name.
I will also buy a wordpress premium theme and set it up.
I can also setup accounts in evernote and dropbox for sharing content.
I can also setup a google apps account for this site and get an excel sheet where everything would be listed in one sheet (for quick reference).
----------

I can setup everything. However, I am hard pressed for time.

This would mostly be some sort of data dump where information from several places would just be put here.

Is there anyone with time who can organize the information that would be sent to this site?

---------------

I would like unbiased opinion, please do not consider Max Muller as UNBIASED. Max Muller has been proven wrong in the past so should be treated as such.

Muller arbitrarily and deliberately assigned the oldest Rig Veda to 1200 B.C. and when questioned by critics he disowned his chronology saying: “ Whether the Vedic hymns were composed 1000 or 1500 or 2000 or 3000 years B.C., no power on earth will determine.” In formulating his chronology, Muller must have been strongly influenced by his Christian belief that the creation of the world had taken place in 4004 B.C. He must have feared that the assignment of any date to the Vedic hymns prior to 4004 B.C. may shake the already fragile faith of Christians in Genesis and critics may brand the creation of world in six days, origin of man in the likeness of God and Noah’s Ark as borrowed ideas from the more ancient Vedas. Muller relied wholly on philology, as no archaeological evidence was available then.
The French scholar Louis Jacolliot, Chief Judge in Chandranagar, wrote a book called 'La Bible dans l'Inde' in Samvat 1926. Next year an English translation of it was also published. In that book all the main currents of thought in the world have been derived from the ancient Aryan thought. He has called Bharatvarsha 'the Cradle of Humanity'.
'Land of ancient India! Cradle of Humanity. hail! Hail revered motherland whom centuries of brutal invasions have not yet buried under the dust of oblivion. Hail, Fatherland of faith, of love, of poetry and of science, may we hail a revival of thy past in our Western future.'

Max Muller's personal letter tell his true intentions.

(a) In a letter of 1866 A.D. (V Sam, 1923) he writes to his wife:
'This edition of mine and the translation of the Veda will hereafter tell to a great extent on the fate of India, .....it is the root of their religion and to show them what the root is, I feel sure, is the only way of uprooting all that has spring from it during the last three thousand years.'(Vol. 1., Ch. XV, Page 346.).
(b) In another letter he writes to his son:
'Would you say that any one sacred book is superior to all others in the world? ........I say the New Testament, after that, I should place the Koran, which in its moral teachings, is hardly more than a later edition of the New Testament. Then would follow according to my opinion the Old Testament, the Southern Buddhist Tripitaka, the Tao-te-king of Laotze, the Kings of Confucius, the Veda and the Avesta.'(Vol. II, Ch. XXXII., page 339.).
(c) On 16th December 1868 A.D. (Samvat 1925) he writes to Duke of Argyle, the Minister for India:
'The ancient religion of India is doomed and if Christianity does not step in, whose fault will it be?'(Vol. I., Ch. XVI., page 378.)

Max Muller was a fraud, and all his writing should be ignored.

http://www.salagram.net/MaxURdog.html

Last edited:
Dear Sankar,

I will humbly suggest to you, Shri Sankar, that in your proposed project let there be unbiased critical reviews of the Hindu religion also, along with the rest of the usual paraphernalia.

Beware! Here lies the tip of a detonator which can wreck the project.

Post #5:

"கல் தோண்றி மண் தோண்றா காலத்தே முண் தோண்றிய மூத்த மொழி
அத்தனை பழமையான மதம்.."

As a self-proclaimed Atheist who did not worship any God in the past 40 years (all my adult [COLOR=#DA7911 !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=#DA7911 !important][FONT=inherit !important]life[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]), my interest in this passage relates to Human History.
Of all this places, only in India large families stayed and built their very Early Civilization in the World (Indus, Harappan and Mehrgarh Civilization).
Most of these people are the Tamils and many have been polytheistic and idol worshipers, who later became Hindus...
Since we don't know the exact time The First Tamil Sangam was started, Tamil is considered the most ancient of All languages, including Sanskrit which came from the migrating peoples of Central Asia southward...
Yes, Tamil is a timeless language, very very ancient... and perhaps Hinduism is about 3500 years old (started in Vedic Period in 1500 BCE)...

Just a thought!

Just a thought- So we will leave it. Peace.

[pUru] ) N. of a prince ( the son of Yayāti and Śarmishṭhā and sixth monarch of the lunar race ) #MBh. #Śak;of a son of Vasu-deva and Saha-devā #BhP.;of a son of Madhu #VP.;of a son of Manu Cākshusha and Navalā #Pur.

Entry in Monier William Sanskrit English Dictionary 1899

Suggestion worth ignoring. There are hundreds of sites badmouthing hinduism in the guise of unbiased review.

Namaste,

The first exercise which any one needs to do is read or hear audio renditions of [tolkappiar] available free with Central Inst. of Classical Tamil, Chennai. This describes the primal elements of Tamizh. A reading of [pANiNI] [dhAtupAtha] and know the meanings of the [dhAtu] is also a must.

We have been fed with a lot of non sense about Aryans, Aryan invasions from the north, Proto-Aryan invasions from Europe into India, etc. etc. and Dravidians for centuries.

We all know what [ANi] is - it is a nail. North Indians will not understand this word. Nor will proto-Aryan-European whatever derivatives in Europe. [kIlA] is nail which all Hindi speaking people will understand. BUT THE RIG VEDA UNDERSTANDS AND USES BOTH BEAUTIFULLY. Every [veda mantra] has a [khIlakaM].

Given below is entry for [dhAtupATha] in wikepedia. The so called experts sitting in Harvard, Germany, and every where except India write this "Most of these classes are directly inherited from Proto-Indo-European.[SUP][citation needed] " They desperately need a citation for non-sense and not got it yet. To me it is no surprise that [dhAtu], and primal elements of language is not covered in Sanskrit or Tamizh in wikepedia or elsewhere...

Don't waste your time trying to add or correct wikepedia They have a panel of "UNBIASSED CRITICAL REVIEWERS"
[/SUP][SUP].

[/SUP] Dhatupatha

The Dhatupatha is a lexicon of Sanskrit verbal roots subservient to the Ashtadhyayi. It is organized by the ten present classes of Sanskrit, i.e. the roots are grouped by the form of their stem in the present tense.

The ten present classes of Sanskrit are:

1. bhū-ādayaḥ (root-full grade thematic presents)
2. ad-ādayaḥ (root presents)
3. ju-ho-ti-ādayaḥ (reduplicated presents)
4. div-ādayaḥ (ya thematic presents)
5. su-ādayaḥ (nu presents)
6. tud-ādayaḥ (root-zero grade thematic presents)
7. rudh-ādayaḥ (n-infix presents)
8. tan-ādayaḥ (no presents)
9. krī-ādayaḥ (ni presents)
10. cur-ādayaḥ (aya presents, causatives)
Most of these classes are directly inherited from Proto-Indo-European.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP] The small number of class 8 verbs are a secondary group derived from class 5 roots, and class 10 is a special case, in that any verb can form class 10 presents, then assuming causative meaning. The roots specifically listed as belonging to class 10 are those for which any other form has fallen out of use (causative deponents, so to speak).

Last edited:
Namsakaram ,
Dear members we belonging to brahmin communities do not proceed with the atheistic dogmatic propoganda which circulated in our minds as a reality by western education for many years .This athestic godless education, instilled into our hearts and minds by the scholars ,teachers and professors who sought to destroy the vedic way of life and living with their mental speculative,atheistic and doubtful,adamant view about vedas and Brahmanism. As a result , we get carried into believing pesudo philosophies like tamils were supressed by sanskrit speaking people ,indus valley invasion by aryans ,evolution of man from Apes and many other .Nevertheless, any person born in a brahmin family & initiated should be able to chant gayathri perfectly once in a day and perfom the oblations in fire . Read the scriptures by proper authority like kanchi pramacharya ,vaishavas like Ramanuja ,Madhvacharya ,chaitainy from North india etc. then discuss.

Namaskaram,
we should appreciate the works for paramacharya of kanchi not only for his spiritual work but also for the philanthophy work who inspired Annamali to open a university . It is very unfortunate that being brought up in a brahmin family we work for athestic class of men , there does not make any difference between a dog eater/ meat eater and a brahman .

===
THE STUDY OF SANSKRIT IN RELATION TO MISSIONARY WORK IN INDIA; AN INAUGURAL LECTURE DELIVERED BEFORE THE UNIVERSITY OF OXFORD, ON APRIL 19, 1861.BY MONIER-WILLIAMS, M.A.OF UNIVERSITY COLLEGE, OXFORD. BODEN PROFESSOR OF SANSKRIT, ETC

INDIA is of all the possessions of Great Britain the most interesting, and presents the most invit ing prospect to the missionary. He has there no common country or people to deal with, no ordi nary religion. He is not there brought in contact with savage trihes who melt away before the superior force and intelligence of Europeans. He is placed in the midst of a great and ancient peo ple, who, many of them tracing back their origin to the same stock as ourselves, attained a high degree of civilisation when our forefathers were barbarians, and had a polished language and lite rature when English was unknown. ...

And this brings me to the centre to which all my previous observations have converged, the use and importance of Sanskrit to the missionary,as the sacred and learned language of India, the repository of the Veda in its widest sense, the vehicle of Hindu theology, philosophy, and mytho logy, the source of all the spoken dialects, the only safe guide to the intricacies and contradictions of Hinduism, the one bond of sympathy, which, like an electric chain, connects Hindus of opposite characters in every district of India. There can be little doubt that a more correct knowledge of the religious opinions and practices of the San-skritic Hindus, or as we may call them the Hindus proper, is essential to extensive progress in our Indian missions*.

===

Chaqchiquel Maya Dictionary :- [ahpop] _n._ The head chief. “_El cacique mayor._[TN-33] See p. 36.#21 -

===

Populvuh :- Supposedly, one of the very few documents in Mayan that were permitted survival.

=== Sir Monier-Williams Dictionary 1899: 00023659 * [ah]1[ah]2 cl. 5. P. [ahnoti], to pervade or occupy[---] 00023660 * [aha]1['aha]1 ind. ( as a particle implying ascertainment, affirmation, certainty, &c. ) surely, certainly #RV. #AV. #ŚBr.[---] [popuva]2[popuva] mfn. ( fr. Intens. ) purifying much or repeatedly #Pā . 1-1, 4 #Sch.[---]

=== Political compulsions: Aryan Invasion theories are losing their sting with persons from India wanting to emigrate stating that as reason for visas.

updated

This is a list of over 150+ books on hinduism, tamil, temples, scriptures, temples and history etc. that I have compiled from Google books.

This has taken me several weeks of searching and organizing.

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/genera...mples-scriptures-history-south-india-etc.html

This is not the complete list. There are more but I don't have the time to organize them.

Note that there is a link called 'related books' for each book where you can get more books that are related to similar topics.

Other important books that I have collected are detailed information on temples, holy places, texts, chola/pallava/pandya information (history, social life, economy, achievement, literature, temples etc)

About the temples in thanjavur, madurai, kanchipuram, chidambaram, rameshwaram, etc

palm leaf manuscripts, copper plate inscriptions, temple inscriptions, archaeological studies etc

I will add to this when i find time.

Please add to this and make it more comprehensive.

My aim is to make a comprehensive searchable database that is free and easily accessible.

If you have any of these books please let me know.

Note: The problem here is that I have not read these books. Therefore, I don't know how many are true/unbiased and how many are biased (written by phony indologist/scholars with the intention of misleading or degrading our history).
Therefore, Please add what you know so that we would know the truth behind these books and authors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back