• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Hinduism and Westerners

• Thread starter Thread starter ste.tuggle
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Sanatana Dharma suitable for westerners? Why or why not?

Sri. Stephen, Greetings. Welcome to the forum.

You could pose that question in one small little sentence; but the answer can be quite large and could have lot of opinions.

Firstly, we have to define Sanatana Dharma. We have to completly seperate the philosophies and practices. My knowledge in this subject is quite limited. But in general, I should say, yes, it can be suitable for westernes. I have a work collegue, a western lady married to an Indian.. she follows Sanatana Dharma in a fashion. Sorry, my reply is only very brief.

Cheers!

Sanatan Dharma is universal. It not limited to Human but other species too. If you read Ramayan you will see Monkeys, and birds too found this Dharma suitable.
Like mr. Raghy said it is vast, and there is no one book to follow. There are various paths, various practices and methods for you to choose.
It is up to you to choose. Welcome.

Sanatan Dharma is universal. It not limited to Human but other species too. If you read Ramayan you will see Monkeys, and birds too found this Dharma suitable.
Like mr. Raghy said it is vast, and there is no one book to follow. There are various paths, various practices and methods for you to choose.
It is up to you to choose. Welcome.

I never picked that up when I was reading the Ramayana. Very inspiring.

Dear sir,

Sanathana Dharma is Eternal Universal Dharma.
Technically it is NOT a religion.
It does NOT belong to any one geographical region alone.
It's meant for the whole world.

One thing I would like to highlight is adopting the tenets of Sanathana Dharma does NOT mean we should be more Indian in outlook, appearance and culture.

Each culture in this world is unique and there for a reason.

I see many westerners becoming more Indian and losing their own culture and identity.

To me I feel that is conversion cos some even give up going to church all together.

Sanathana Dharma is not about conversion..its about realizing and understanding the journey of self discovery.

Last edited:
Dear Stephen

I would strongly recommend a book " A Search in Secret India " by Paul Brunton.
[originally published by Jupiter Press - not sure whether still in print. But I think
you can get it online, these days]

A very well documented book on the travels, travails and triumph of a 'Westerner'.

Yay Yem

Dear Stephen

I would strongly recommend a book " A Search in Secret India " by Paul Brunton.
[originally published by Jupiter Press - not sure whether still in print. But I think
you can get it online, these days]

A very well documented book on the travels, travails and triumph of a 'Westerner'.

Yay Yem

Thanks Anand! I will try to find a copy and check it out.

Dear Mr.Stephen,

Mr.Anand has correctly advised on Search in Secret India. The book was available till last month at Ramanashramam in Thiruvannamalai. You can contact them at :Sri Ramanasramam, Puduchery Road Thiruvannamalai, Tamil Nadu 606603-Phone no: 04175 237200 .Best of Luck.

Dear Manohar Kumar

I guess you have read the book and am glad that you agree.

To those who haven't, it is a graphic description of a journey along the
length and breadth of India by one in his spiritual quest.

It sort of takes one from a suspicious, sarcastic, skeptical and dismissive state of mind
to a higher level of consciousness.

In reality, I would recommend this book to every one on this forum as a "Must Read".

Steve, MK - all the best

Guruvethunai
Yay Yem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back