• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Here’s why you should STOP using newspapers to blot oil from deep fried foods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s why you should STOP using newspapers to blot oil from deep fried foods

Oct 14, 2015

food-on-newspaper.jpg

If you are among the many who save newspapers to be used for blotting oil from deep-fried foods – stop now. The low cost of newspapers compared to tissues or kitchen rolls and paper towels is the main reason for this practice. However, did you know that eating food kept in newspapers can cause cancer?

Deep fried food is unhealthy as it is, and using newspapers to blot the oil just ups the inhealthy quotient.Haven’t you observed how ink gets transferred from the newspaper or magazine page onto your food? Chemical solvents are used to dissolve the ink on newspapers. This ink and the solvents like graphite can leach to the food very easily and enter your system, causing several health issues like cancer.

While all other waste is eliminated from the body through faeces, graphite keeps accumulating and can be hazardous for the lungs and kidneys, says dietitian and sports nutritionist, Deepshikha Agarwal.

The solvents present on newspaper can also lead to digestion problems and disrupt hormones and have been proved to be carcinogenic. You should also know about these 5 food packaging materials that can be harmful for your health.

Petroleum-based mineral oils are used for thickening the ink on paper and cobalt based agents are used for drying it. Both these, if consumed, pose serious health hazards. If you think magazine pages are better in quality, you are wrong. While their ink may not leach easily to food stuff but the chemicals used to add gloss and prevent the ink from smudging pose even more threat. Hence, it is best to use tissue papers or paper towels used for absorbing excess oil from fried food.

Tissues or paper towels are not expensive anymore and can be purchased in bulk at better prices. If you still wish to use paper, use blank or plain sheets. But the use of newspapers needs to stop immediately, suggests Deepshikha Agarwal.

http://www.thehealthsite.com/diseas...ers-to-drain-oil-is-harmful-to-health-bs1015/

Nice reminder .I read about the same many years back from an article in an Aurobindo Ashram publication where Mother Mira instructed her devotees not to pack sweets and other food items in News Paper's as the black Ink from the news papers when it comes in contact with the food will make it toxic and harmful for consumption .

I have seen one mAmi press the puris and keep them in between the Tamil magazine pages, before frying them! :dizzy:

She said that Thuglak magazine is very comfortable because of its size! Howzaat??

I thought, ''May be, she wants 'printed puris'!'' :becky:

I have read that the times when printing ink was used for printing is over now, worldwide and the electronic printing materials do not contain any toxic materials such as lead or arsenic. The only precaution to take is not to rub the paper on the food items because the oil in the eatables dissolves the electronic printing ink in low quality papers. Simple pressing is not that harmful, I believe.

Nowadays, there are so many "advices" about cancer threats that recently there was one saying in baked appalams (chutta appalams) the black portions will cause cancer!

Don' t ever feel, 'karupputhAn enakku pudicha kalaru', while eating !! :hungry:

images

Courtesy: Google images.

Why only chutta appaLam?? The same threat is for the black dots on the chapAthis also! :)

One Chief chemical examiner, retired, told me that the overdone spots in Chapatis, the rind of bread etc., are rich in flavonoids and hence very good for health. This man spearheaded the anti-smoking campaign in Kerala.

Rind of bread is usually dark brown and not black.

Similarly, chapAthi has both dark brown spots and some black spots !!

BTW, my dad used to ask, 'Would you like to eat charcoal?', whenever he sees black spots on dhOsA / chapAthi!! :)

Coming to Cancer there are many deaths happening in the Community on account of Cancer which was not a cause of death till about 20-30 years back...Or is it as life expectancy grew Cancer detection & treatment also improved and a few deaths on account of Cancer are getting magnified...Earlier such deaths were not even analyzed, not even looked at??

Coming to Cancer there are many deaths happening in the Community on account of Cancer which was not a cause of death till about 20-30 years back...Or is it as life expectancy grew Cancer detection & treatment also improved and a few deaths on account of Cancer are getting magnified...Earlier such deaths were not even analyzed, not even looked at??

The Purpose of my OP is just to caution food item packed in News Paper and the possible health effect on account of that; Readers may take this advice or just leave it as non issue.

It is true that readers can make their own decision.
But once the information is posted it is in the back of the mind and always affects the future decisions.
In this age of information, specially to information junkies like myself, the information overload adds to the tension and anguish. It is not the posters fault, but the consumer can not escape it.

I usually use a clean cotton kitchen towel to absorb the excess oil in any fried food.I seldom deep fry but at times I make sweet potato chips and use a towel to get rid of excess oil.

The towel can be washed and used again later for the same purpose.

This new thing called airfryer uses very less oil, it seems... catch is that not all indian fried snacks could be made. A friend of mine bought it recently here and said that the finger fries tasted delicious. Just a spoon of oil it takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back