• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Happy New Year 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hariharan1972

Wishing all the friends at Tamilbrahmins.com a very happy new year. Wishing you and your family great cheer, good health and prosperity in this new year.

Let 2008 be a year of lasting peace all thru the world.

Let us hope that BSE crosses 25000 to propel wealth generation to newer heights.

Let us hope that India returns with atleast one medal from Beijing Olympics.

Finally let us hope that our friendship thru the forum goes from strength to strength enabling us to do more for our brethren.

More power to our shoulders !

Let us celebrate our culture, not the semitic culture

Dear friends,

As a Tamil Brahmin who respects our own culture, I consider only the Tamil new year as the real new year that needs to be celebrated as per our tradition with our own values.

If Brahmins themselves do not held high our tradition and practices, who else will do that?

I will really be happy to wish you and the tamil brahmin community a happy new year when the Tamil new year comes in.

May we have the strength of our forefathers !

Thanking You,
With Regards,
Ananda Ganesh, V.

Happy New Year 2008.

Dear Members,

Let me convey my Greetings and Best Wishes for a Happy New Year 2008.

Warm Regards,

Brahmanyan.

Thank you and wish you the same!

Dear All,

Thank you all for your good wishes and my best wishes to you all!

Best,
Chintana

Dear All,

I would also like to take this occasion to wish everyone a very happy, healthy and prosperous New Year.

We should take every opportunity and take advantage of every reason to celebrate anything and everything in life, however small, irrespective of the origins for the festivities. After all, celebration of any occassion is a part celebration of life itself and it will only bring us closer to Him.

As they say in Australia, Cheers!

Pranams,
KRS

/// Sri KRS said:

We should take every opportunity and take advantage of every reason to celebrate anything and everything in life, however small, irrespective of the origins for the festivities. After all, celebration of any occassion is a part celebration of life itself and it will only bring us closer to Him.
////

If we accept KRS idea,

- why do not I see Islamic new year wishes here?

- why do not I see May day wishes here?

- why do not I see good wishes for the birth day of E V Ramasamy Naicker here?

- why do not I see good wishes for the day when the Communal GO was passed in Madras presidency?

- why do not I see good wishes for the days when Justice party or DK party were started?

- why do not I see Kamsa jayanthi or Ravana jayanthi good wishes here?

The reason is (for those who can reason) very simple. We celebrate festivals that give strength to our own culture and ourselves. Celebrate only those days that have something good, something significance to individual humen beings.

Only those days that worth celebration bring you closer to Brahmam.

Is there any significance in the New year or valentaine's day except you can booze and do things that you would never do in other days?

We must not celebrate festivals that strengthen people who want to eradicate our culture, and want to keep us as slaves.

If you want to be a slave, go ahead, and celebrate your days of doom.

Apart from political reasons, there are questions that one should ask before celebrating the so called new year:

1. How the day change occurs at 12'O clock midnight without change in the external atmosphere?

Is there any significance?

Why do we have to foolishly follow Britishers?

Day change occurs with sunrise - the change from darkness to light.

2. We can't differentiate between Dec' 31 and Jan 1 in terms of nature, atmosphere, the movement of earth, or the position of planets, but, many followers of white believe that year changes at midnight of Dec 31.

On Ugadi, or any Indian New Year period we observe the "Natural Change" in the atmosphere with sprouting new leaves sprouting, refreshing energy with the change in planetary positions. Indians believe this as new year, because of clear definition of its significance.

3. In whiteman's calendar we see just month, date and weeks. There is no defined plan for each day with details of sunrise or sunset or moon position. The calendar is just a printed paper on the wall. This is because, the whitemen have no need for these additional details as his purpose of life is to lead a life against nature.

The Indian calendar that is popularly known as "panchanga" refers to timings of sun rise, sunset, movements of the moon, and also gives the indicative planning for each day according to variation of the nature. This is a time tested and established guidance sheet to lead a purposeful life closer to nature.

Think.

Happy new year 2008

Dear Friends,
I wish all my friends in this Forum a happy and prosperous new year -2008.

Mr.Bliss, we have been exchanging greetings on other festival days like
Deepavali. We want everyone to attain THAT BLISSful state thru' this
forum. No acrimony please .

Seasons Greetings

Dear All,

Weave
a network of great relationships.
Relationships are like bank accounts.
Keep on depositing.
Maintain balance.
Seasons greetings and best wishes
For a happy and prosperous
MAKHAR SANKRANTHI
gurumurthy

reply to bliss

Dear Bliss,

A good observation on the new year - ugadi.

A good insight on the importance of cultural identity.

Keep contributing.

love
malgova.mango

Dear Sri bliss192 Ji,

The Gregorian Calendar is the official calendar of India.

The Hindu Calendar (I presume you refer to the Lunar Calendar, because there is also a Solar Calendar), is also observed and celebrated.

The first calendar I have mentioned is observed by almost all the nations of the world. So, I would term it as Secular(not religious).

What is wrong with observing a day recognized by our country's administration as the start of a New Administrative Year?

Do we not observe and celebrate the Independence day and the Republic day?

By the way, how the observing and celebrating this day in any way diminishes or stands in the way of celebrating the Hindu new year based on the Lunar Calendar?

Panchangam is a different concept. I challenge you to tell me how many of our fellow Hindus (Brahmins for that matter) follow the prescriptions laid out by the five fold division of a day?

Why is such an anger against the 'white' man? They have left India at least 60 years ago, from power. Are all the 'white men'. evil?

Why are you so upset? Who said that we should observe other religious days as Hindus?

Pranams,
KRS

Address to Bliss

Dear Mr Bliss.

Though I could sympathise with you, we should respect conventional practices. Eventhough I doesn't make any sense on how they arrive at new year and all.

The wise says "Yatharthavathi Vegujana virodhi" so keep that in mind.

"Happy New Year 2008" to one and all.

Here 2008 is the name of the year. See only number.

In one sci-fi by famous tamil writer "sujata" - people will be called by numbers with no names to them. He writes in distant future it will be so mechanical that numbers will replace names. Hope civilisation don't go to that extent.

Regards
malgova.mango

Dear sri malgova mago Ji,

The Gregorian calendar is the correction for the Julian calendar which adjusted for the Leap year.

The account for the full year iis taken by the adjustment of the Leap year. The lunar calendar adjusts for this by adding an extra month for every 30 years.

The differences between the western calculations and the eastern calculations based on the different concepts of azimuths based on the solar and the fixed stars are very well known.

Both are valid. Let us not confuse the different paradigms of calculations with any cultural aspects. Let us use the best of both knowledge as human beings.

It is indeed a sad day when one starts celebrating a mathematical concept as though it belongs to one culture!.

Pranams,
KRS

Dear Mr Bliss.

Though I could sympathise with you, we should respect conventional practices. Eventhough I doesn't make any sense on how they arrive at new year and all.

The wise says "Yatharthavathi Vegujana virodhi" so keep that in mind.

"Happy New Year 2008" to one and all.

Here 2008 is the name of the year. See only number.

In one sci-fi by famous tamil writer "sujata" - people will be called by numbers with no names to them. He writes in distant future it will be so mechanical that numbers will replace names. Hope civilisation don't go to that extent.

Regards
malgova.mango

Dear All

Greetings of the season.

Dear Sri Bliss

You have given insight into the start of the day with the Sunrise. That seems to be the most logical thing to separate a day from the previous one. A day may come when the whole world will adjust its concept of clock on this basis. It is bound to happen like the metric system has replaced the British system of measures. Same way, even the Gregarian calendar also may undergo change. All that we need to do is to carry on the campaign without any animosity with careful planning like the europeans have all along done so far. How I wish that we wake up at 0000 hours and attend office at 0300 or 0400 hours! After all only the nomencalture will change!

Dear Sri KRS

Cool ! I will certainly celebrate the day I meet you and I am sure you will as well !!

The Hindu calendar as we have is Solar Calendar. Every month changes as the Sun's movement of 30 degrees is completed. And when he reaches the exalted position in Mesha, the new calendar year is born. I all along had a question in my mind. If "Thai 1" is the day on which Sun starts his phase in Uttarayana and "Adi 1" is the day on which the Sun starts his phase in Dhakshinayana, why should not the Tamil New year or for that matter any Indian or hindu calendar start on either of these days?

Here is another question:

Why should the wishes for the new year confine to prosperity and all that is good only for that year? Can not the greetings be for prosperity and everything good throughout life henceforth? Should the greetings be so short sighted or so narrow or is it an attempt to retain the "right to greet" every year. I have heard an elder wishing youngsters "May God bless you for the time being" The greeting for one year is as good with "the year" replacing "for the time being"!

When one looks at all these, surely the wishes "Sarve Loko Sukhino Bavantu" seems to be far and wide above every other greeting.

Last edited:
Dear Sri KRS

You had stated:

What is wrong with observing a day recognized by our country's administration as the start of a New Administrative Year?
January 1 is not the day on which India's Administrative year starts. India has a financial year and no specific administrative year. India's financial year starts on April 1 (closer to most of the Indian New Year commencement on or around April 14.)

Dear Sri appaih Ji,

I did not mean the financial year. By 'administrative' year, I meant the year starting from the begining of the first day of the new year which is widely observed. Yes one can also wish for the prosperity for the entire duration of a Yuga for that matter. The reason the New Year's greeting came about, I suspect, is that the old year has 'passed' and the new year is just 'born'.

Anything marking any particular event can be made a holiday and observed, if the community agrees that it makes sense for them. Even the way the day's partitions can be changed if everyone agrees. Like in the U.S., we have annual 'day light saving' time and in India we have one time zone for the entire breath of the country (if I am not mistaken).

Pranams,
KRS

Dear Sri KRS

You had stated:

January 1 is not the day on which India's Administrative year starts. India has a financial year and no specific administrative year. India's financial year starts on April 1 (closer to most of the Indian New Year commencement on or around April 14.)

Dear all,

I agree with bliss statement if we celebrate their festival we are preparing storng basement to make wealthy their religion. are they celebrating our tamil new year? even they dont know when its come? if we take as exchanging greetings any other religion people are wishing our festival ganeshchaturthi,gogulashtami? exchanging should be a twoway process not like one way traffic

Hare Ram
Archana

Dear Sri archanavenkatramaiyer Ji,

Let us not confuse between a 'secular' holiday and a 'religious' holiday.

No one wants anyone to celebrate somone else's religious holidays. Tamil New Year, even though not strictly 'religious' would fall in the category of a 'regional' holiday. Nor anyone except the muslims is expected to celebrate the first day of Moharram as the islamic new year.

'New Year's day' in my opinion, by contrast would be an international holiday, let alone national. It somewhat like the 'labour' day. Such a holiday is good - it gives a chance for everyone in the world to celebrate, as it is done today. Even the Chinese, whose ethnic new year is a very big deal, observe and celebrate this 'international' day.

This day has long outgrown it's identity with Christianity. Because of the events that has happened over the past few centuries, this day has become a standard secular holiday around the world. Thus irrespective of our religious/ethnic/regional divisions, we as the citizens of this world can celebrate one common holiday, uniting us all.

Pranams,
KRS

Dear all,

I agree with bliss statement if we celebrate their festival we are preparing storng basement to make wealthy their religion. are they celebrating our tamil new year? even they dont know when its come? if we take as exchanging greetings any other religion people are wishing our festival ganeshchaturthi,gogulashtami? exchanging should be a twoway process not like one way traffic

Hare Ram
Archana

Dear Bliss,

On how 12:00 midnight fixed ..

- the sun exactly 360d from you. that is exactly down below, at 6:00 am - it comes to the horizon that is 270d from you. at 12:00 noon 180d on top and 6:00 pm it comes to the other horizon 90d .
On jan 1 the dist between earth and sun is the nearest and on jun30 it is at the farthest. This one I heard.

Coud any one confirm.

malgova.mango

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back