• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Guru-Shisys parampara.

prasad1

There are multiple threads extolling the virtues of Guru-Shisys parampara.
People always think of Good-old days but were they really that for the majority of the population? NO.
They generally exploited the majority of the people. People, in general, did not have a voice.

I come from a humble background, I would have been marginalized in the ancient system.

I studied in Private and public schools. So I did not have the luxury of learning in an ancient Gurukulam. All I know about the gurukulam is reading about it in Ancient mythological stories. Or watching Anand Kumar is an Indian Mathematics educator best known for his Super 30 program.

Gurukulam was very exclusive and selective. It was only for the privileged few.

Today, with a surge in world population, we find the "modern" process has made it possible for more people to gain an education. And as more schools, colleges, universities cater to this demand the "one on one" G/S relationships have diminished somewhat. But again I add that it will never really be replaced or outmoded. This is live interaction and will go on till there are people. Teachers in classrooms are the modern gurus.

Good teachers are always introducing their students to varying influences to broaden the learning experience. This has also been true of the classical tradition in India. Our ragas are a testament to this very fact. Many of these are named after the people that introduced them. Raga Bhoopali is from the Bhoopal region, Raga Todi was from the Toda people. Pahadi means of the mountains. The classical traditions have always shown a healthy acceptance of growth. Without this it would have gotten stale and died a long time ago.

Disadvantages of gurukul system:-

• They miss out the benefits of modern academic education, hence, even though they learn Vedic sutras, remain practically uneducated, and then lead the rest of their life dependent on charity and good will of others.

• Children left their homes and near and dear ones at the tender age of eight and stayed away from their parents for over 12 years. This was a great penance.

• There used to be discrimination at the entry level about the admission in GURUKUL. As we have seen that EKLAVYA was not given admission by GURU DRONACHARYA as he was not Kshatriya (WARRIOR CASTE).

• Females are not admitted to the GURUKUL.

• The Guru's words were final and the shishya could not argue or put across his point to the GURU.

• There was no standard syllabus and conventional evaluation and examination system.

• They led a sheltered life at Gurukul and could not know much about the outside world.

Read more on Brainly.in - https://brainly.in/question/8552656#readmore

To me, there is no difference between Gurukula teaching and Madrasa teaching. It is also so dependent on the Guru. If he is capable you will have brilliant students.

From our modern practice, less than 50% of teachers are that inspiring. History books only write about the success stories, I am sure there must have been many more failing Guru in the ancient world.

I got to learn in the modern-day gurukulam. It was means based and expensive. It was intensive but the teacher was inspiring and I learned a lot. But the system failed once that particular teacher was no-more.

We see the failings of Madrasa teaching.

We also see that a Child is uprooted from his home and sent to serve the Guru. If the modern Catholic monasteries and Madrasas are an example, there is all the more chances of exploitation. Of course, we will not talk about it.

In the modern school system, there is a foundation of learning for the entire nation. Of course, there are discrepancies and discrimination in the modern system as well.

Last edited:
There is another disadvantage not frequently discussed. In the Gurukul system in ancient India, the teaching was imparted by a single teacher or his cohorts. Because of that pupils were able to learn only a single line of expertise or they learned a limited number of disciplines. This type of teaching lacked the following:

1. interdisciplinary studies - pupils were learning only one craft and that too up to the level of knowledge of the Guru
  2. Knowledge sharing across different disciplines to further augment knowledge of disciplines was lacking. Unless a king or a patron was interested, something that we call conferences/symposiums in modern-day did not happen in ancient times.

I am digressing from my op to get a modern perspective.
Madrasa teaching is similar to Gurukulam.

A comparison between pupils who attend madrasah and other type of schools in Bangladesh: their reason for going, their employment prospects and contrasting systems of education

The Education system of Bangladesh is characterized by the presence of traditional religious (madrasah) and general (school) education. The prevalence of this duality is considered to be one of the fundamental problems in promoting an integrated educated society in the country. The difference between these two groups of people can be observed not only in their orientation and thinking but also in all aspects of life ranging from style of dressing to commitment towards politics. Those coming out of the general education system dominate educated society and the national development process, while those who receive education through the madrasah system usually live on religious activities and rituals and its teaching. Hence their contribution towards national development is hardly visible. The present study, which is probably unique of its kind in Bangladesh, is an empirical one investigating this duality in education, its causes, influencing factors and consequences. It has been evident in the present study that although the root of this duality lies in historical facts, present management by authority largely adds to the problem. Then apathy towards the issue has aggravated the situation and the rift continues to be as wide as ever. There are some social, economic and cultural factors among the people which also keep this issue alive. It has been found in this study that factors like parental educational background, level of education, influence of relatives, level of economic condition, family tradition and attitude towards religion seem to have influenced the enrolment of children into the two systems.

May be Music, needs this one on one coaching system.
This is particularly true as Indian Music is not written down, it is a purely oral tradition.
But music need not be the only life. Most of the music learners today would not turn out to be professional singers, (thank God).

Indian classical music is largely a hereditary tradition, generally taught in a pedagogical fashion and handed down from father to son. Since Indian music is rarely written down, watching and listening to the teacher – or guru (Ustad if Muslim, Pandit if Hindu) – is a crucial part of the learning process. There is a general consensus that cultures which acquire knowledge through oral traditions show more reverence for purity and antiquity, resulting in a heartfelt – almost instinctual – and unconditional respect for traditional wisdom and knowledge in a way that is distinct from cultures in which knowledge is written and documented.

Hence the person imparting that knowledge – whether a guru or the pupil’s own father or uncle – assumes a larger-than-life position in the eyes of the disciple. South Asian cultures are generally known for their exceptional reverence for age and authority – parents and elders are always respected, teachers and gurus even more so. It is not done to address an elder – or even any other accomplished person – by their first name and where this is absolutely necessary, the honorific 'ji' is added, although often mistaken as part of the name by those who do not understand this tradition.

The pupil’s respect, commitment, devotion and obedience are defined by a code of conduct contained within the ancient tradition known as the Guru-Shishya Parampara (code of manners between teacher and pupil) which stipulates that advanced knowledge can only be imparted within the context of a spiritual relationship between guru and disciple and that the acquisition of such knowledge is only possible when the disciple abandons his/her ego and assumes a demeanour of abject surrender to the guru’s authority.

An Indian music guru is not the same as a Western music teacher. Whilst a music teacher in the West is expected to teach only music, the Indian maestro assumes a comprehensive responsibility for the pupil, providing guidance in every aspect of life and often taking precedence over the pupil’s natural parents.

If Gurukulam was the only education system available there would not be a Sunder Pichie or Nicolas Tesla. They would have ended up as Akalavya.

Last edited:

Latest ads

Back