• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Google Global Science Fair: Indians & American Indian Girls Shine..Oh..Ha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, I actually had a chance to attend this. There were plenty of boys (some Indians too if I remember). Somehow I was very intimidated by the presentations. Too much differential equations in designing a sailboat rudder for example.

The ovarian cancer cure that one was impressive. I was thinking, why is she in a Science Fair? Why not win the Nobel prize is medicine?

Hello All:

Good news. Read this

Google Global Science Fair 2011

Where are the boys, anyway?

Great post, thanks for sharing.
This appears to be an international competition. I did not know Google had a science fair.

There are other competitions - Intel Science Talent Search, Siemens and in the last few years Toshiba has begun a competition targeted at all age groups.

I mentored some kids at one time and they did win national level. I found that Indians and other Asians top the list most of the time. There are more Indian girls winning in my limited sample. Even my son ended up finalist at Intel Science Talent Search which was many years ago and since then I have not paid attention to such competitions.

The ovarian cancer cure that one was impressive. I was thinking, why is she in a Science Fair? Why not win the Nobel prize is medicine?

Precisely. All these contests etc are cheap plans by mega corps to fish for great ideas. Same thing venture capitalists do - they would have already funded a biopharma company, and it protect its interest, they will entertain discussions with new entrepreneurs with new ideas in the same field. The other day I saw an ad by "patent search" company that offered (generously) $25,000 to any PhD who will research scientific journals on it and IF comes out with USEFUL info to invalidate a patent. In other words, a PhD must work for some six months and find something that helps the other company make millions, after which he may receive some token peanuts!

All these corporate games are serious intellectual robberies.

Knowledge is Value. I urge that nobody gives it out for free or in the name of some silly medals and awards without adequate ip protection.

Knowledge is Value. I urge that nobody gives it out for free or in the name of some silly medals and awards without adequate ip protection.

Agreed. If I am right, I think these inventions are protected under "Trade Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) Agreement ". In addition the inventor can get the inventions Patented under relevant Acts. And it is for the inventors to enforce their rights under various protective acts.
However it is a good news. Congrats to the youngsters on their impressive discoveries.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

hi
i heard in a radio show about science fairs NPR in USA...very nice...i heard that 1 young boy nuclear reactors in his basement...his

father helped to procure uranium....the boy makes nuclear reactors in his home basement....its terrific....still USA is best for new innovations...

china makes iphones....invented and pattened by Apple steve jobbs.......my 2 cents....

regards
tbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back