• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Goodness is not a sign of weakness

Status
Not open for further replies.

sravna

Folks,

Many of us now have complete belief in the view that goodness is displayed because one does not have the necessary boldness to be otherwise. We have also seen in many of our interactions that it pays to be not good. When someone exhibits goodness that is sought to be exploited by other people and so good people are seen as fall guys. So slowly it has now become entrenched that goodness is a sign of weakness.

Generally people who are good are not aggressive and in a world that demands aggressiveness are seen to be misfits. But is goodness a weakness? I certainly do not think so. Goodness is being considerate to others and being caring for their problems. Sometimes it may need performing the difficult task of putting others above self.

Whether someone is exhibiting desirable qualities or not are not be gauged from how well one syncs with the environment but how well one syncs with one's own nature. It is a direct but a difficult route of handling the problems created by the environment.

I believe that the deepest part of people is goodness and so exhibiting goodness means that such people have depth. Good people cannot be truly aggressive and they should not try to be so but can project the necessary confidence that can make up for that lack of aggression. The only way they can do it is by being true to their nature.

These days one needs to be calculative and have the right connections and status to prevail over others. and I agree it is a tall task for a good person to reach high positions and maintain that goodness. But I believe that people heart of hearts have a liking for good people but it does not show because of the impractical realities of being good. So everyone is able to love a hero that thrashes villain in a movie but in real life their beliefs are otherwise.

My suggestion would be that since there are enough good people they should all come together and try to create a social movement towards practicing good beliefs. It cannot be done alone by a person.

Let everyone who believes in values make a pledge and sincere efforts to bring it to the fore and I think we can see a change. Goodness should be given the due it deserves.

Well said Sravana,. But what exactly is treated as goodness. An act of kindness to words someone in need perhaps? Again whether it includes only kindness towards only human beings or towards every living beings.. in case of later how can any one be called possess goodness as on the one hand he pretends to be good towards all living beings and on the other eats their own flesh without any regrets? Are kindness and goodness are one and the same?

Just a thought! Those who love their dogs and treat them as a family member will bring meat to feed the dogs.

So this is being kind to the pet and unkind on another animal! ;)

My suggestion would be that since there are enough good people they should all come together and try to create a social movement towards practicing good beliefs. It cannot be done alone by a person.

Let everyone who believes in values make a pledge and sincere efforts to bring it to the fore and I think we can see a change. Goodness should be given the due it deserves.

Dear Sravna,

Why is there always a need for you to start a mass following of any kind?

There is always an urgent need for you to take the lead of some cult or the other.

I feel goodness is subjective to time,place and person and its just relative goodness.

Mass followings only lead to pride and prejudice and a holier than thou attitude which then becomes a neo- "bad".

Even Good can be Bad when it becomes a cult.

The best is to let everyone decide for themselves cos it would really hard to decide if we are good or bad in the real sense.

How are you so sure you are good?

None of us can be ever so sure.

BTW this group mass following phenomenon reminds me of a punch dialogue: Singham Single Ah Thaan Varum.

Even though I am vegetarian ...I do not feel being a vegetarian is an act of kindness..after all we eat plants..so are we unkind to plants?

BTW many well known dictators of the inhumane kind were vegetarians.

Dear Renu,

I consider non.veg eaters as persons who are unkind to animals. But, it does NOT mean that they don't possess goodness.

Also, all the vegetarians and vegans are NOT filled with goodness!! :)

Dear Shri.Ganesh, Smt. RR, Renuka,

Goodness is the result of the belief that it is possible to act in a way that benefits self and also others and in an enduring way. It is therefore not something that cannot be figured out. The greater the number of people who benefit and more enduring the benefits, because of an action, the greater is the goodness of the action. Typical moral qualities even though whose invoking has now become a cliche is something that only those who are good are capable of enacting.

For example if you are kind to a cat you are thinking beyond the self and exhibit goodness but if you want to ensure that cats or animals do not suffer in general and take steps towards that that is even greater goodness.

In an overwhelmingly negative thinking world corrective actions are possible only when the counter is a big movement. So people have to come together and make the change.

Last edited:
God is the doer of ultimate good because he ensures that everybody attains eternal bliss eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back