• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Going Abroad

• Thread starter Thread starter GopalaswamyShridharan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GopalaswamyShridharan

I have witnessed this burning desire amongst youngsters to live and settle down in abroad.The popular destination used to English speaking,topping the list USA.

But many people are unhappy as to how they are treated in abroad countries and find themselves coming back to India.Most of them amass wealth,but soon find the cost of living in India is equally an expensive proposition and the culture that they witnessed in abroad,is in many ways morphing as Indian culture.

Am i jumping into conclusions or is there lots of room,that our vedic parampara is still vibrating with an invigorated zeals,as usual always.Any comments will be welcome.Thank You !.

gopal.

re

Dear Gopal Ji,

This looks like a cut and paste from another source. We do not want to use other's work here, without proper citation. Can you please provide it? Thanks.

Regards,
KRS

FREMONT (California): They gather five days a week at a mall called the Hub, sitting on concrete planters and sipping thermoses of chai. These
elderly immigrants from India are members of an all-male group called ‘The 100 Years Living Club’. They talk about crime in nearby Oakland, the cheapest flights to Delhi and how to deal with recalcitrant daughters-in-law.

Together, they fend off the well of loneliness and isolation that so often accompany the move to this country late in life from distant places, some culturally light years away. “If I don’t come here, I have sealed lips, nobody to talk to,” said Devendra Singh, a 79-year-old widower.

In this country of twittering youth, Singh and his friends form a gathering force: the elderly, who now make up America’s fastest-growing immigrant group. Since 1990, the number of foreign-born people over 65 has grown from 2.7 million to 4.3 million — or about 11% of the country’s recently arrived immigrants. Their ranks are expected to swell to 16 million by 2050. In California, one in nearly three seniors is now foreign born, according to a 2007 census survey.

Many are aging parents of naturalized American citizens, reuniting with their families. Yet experts say that America’s ethnic elderly are among the most isolated people in America. Seventy percent of recent older immigrants speak little or no English. Most do not drive too. Some studies suggest depression and psychological problems are widespread, the result of language barriers, a lack of social connections and values that sometimes conflict with the dominant American culture.

The men in the 100 Years Living Club have been meeting for last 14 years. Pravinchandra Patel started the group after he noticed his friends were in “house prisons,” as he put it, without even the confidence to use a bus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Sri vijisesh Ji,

Please provide a brief translation of the song in English for the benefit of our non Tamil speaking members. Thanks.

Regards,
KRS

The following song explains all !!!!!

film: kaasEdhaan kadavuLadaa
music: MSV
singer: MSV
song: aaNdavan

aaNdavan thodangi aaNdigaL varayil
kaasEdhaan kadavuLadaa
adi pattu odha pattu arinjukittEndA
kaasEdhaan kadavuLadaa

kaasEdhaan kadavuLadaa
kaasEdhaan kadavuLadaa
kaasEdhaan kadavuLadaa
kaasEdhaan kadavuLadaa

achchadichcha andha pachchai nOttukku
archchanai seivOm palaraalE
aam aam aam ammma hhhammmm

OM roopaaya namaa OM
aaLukku nOttu namaa OM
OM veLLi naaNaya mahaa OM
atlease nayaa paisaaya namaa Om
aam aam aam
achchadichcha andha pachchai nOttukku
archchanai seivOm palaraalE
thEngaai odachchu soodaththai yEththi
dharisanam seivOm kidaichchaalE
aam aam aam ammma hhhammmm

dhuttirundhA T adippEn
illaangaatti E adippEn
sOkkA pEsi nEkka paathu
pocket adippEn

dhuttirundhA T adippEn
illaangaatti E adippEn
sOkkA pEsi nEkka paathu
pocket adippEn

hA davadippEn
ha diveadippEn
hA davadippEn
ha diveadippEn

jagaa vaangi sideadippEn
raajaa raaNi kaidhE
unna nOttaal adippEn

kaasEdhaan kadavuLadaa
kaasEdhaan kadavuLadaa
kaasEdhaan kadavuLadaa
kaasEdhaan kadavuLadaa

aaNdavan thodangi aaNdigaL varayil
kaasEdhaan kadavuLadaa
adi pattu odha pattu arinjukittEndA
kaasEdhaan kadavuLadaa

and here's the link to the audio ........

Kaasethan Kadavulada Audio Songs Movie Cinema Music Tamil - MusicMazaa.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Daer Sri Gopal Ji,

Given that you currently live in the U.S., I am surprised by this topic's content posted by you.

Why don't you please enlighten us about your experience living in USA? Did you go there from India to amass only wealth and go back to India or did you go there for other reasons?

Regards,
KRS

re

Shree KRS,

Its true about my second post is from Times Of India Article.If i have violated copyrights issue of paper,i apologise.Thank You!.

India,Canada,Australia,USA,Russia,Netherlands...etc are just like different rooms,in my mansion of bhu-loka.Created as artificial boundaries.Once i removed this boundary,does it really matter where i stay.Though i do have extremely soft corner for America,to the point i have become a bloody fool.

Amassing wealth?Good question.Since,i have not done amassing wealth,it's truly stupid for me to answere you sir.Hope you understand my situation.

Coming back to the topic,going abroad.Can we discuss this on why this is happening,maybe its not all about amassing wealth at all....Thank you.

gopal.

Dear Sri gopal Ji,

Is not the theme of this thread that you started, about asking for the motives of people leaving India for abroad?

In this context, you yourself seemed to have moved abroad, so you should explain what motivated you to move? Are you planning to stay in USA?

You mention that people are not well treated abroad. What do you mean by this? Thanks.

Regards,
KRS

re

Shree KRS,

People coming from abroad is from Middle Eastern Countries,as they cannot become citizens,which Indians who have worked and stayed for long time feel,not being treated good.It's got nothing to do with USA,apparently you have become a citizen of USA and you are quiet happy from your postins to surmise,as of today,dunno what happens in future everywhere.

As i see lots of bashing in Australia towards Indians,in particular.Tightening of immigration laws in UK,USA etc countries.As majority Indians are hindus,i am guessing,hindu worshippers are being given second hand treatment.Nobody living in the abroad countries will explicitly say so,but like India,indian citizens not liking abroad people if they come in hordes and start ruling,is my context.Some questions in your posts are best un-answered to maintain privacy.Thank You.

gopal.

Dear Sri Gopal Ji,

It is immaterial as to my citizenship that is pertinent to this discussion.

I am trying to clarify the intent of you starting this thread - what do you want to discuss? It is not clear.

Please having opened the thread, nurture it along. If you can not even explain the topic you want to discuss, why are you wasting space in storage by opening up a topic with no objective? What did you want to accomplish with this thread?

Hope you can explain.

Regards,
KRS

re

Shree KRS,

My motivation is to stop brain drain.So,i am finding out why this is happening without getting personal with any posters as far as possible.Maybe i lacked objectivity with you too,by infereing your identitity,which i find now,crazy part of me.For i do not know who you are or where you are in the world.But i read some posts,that you mention yourself as American,practicing our Hindu religion and married to American lady of USA.

Recent happenings in Australia has got me thinking ,why our folks are getting hammered there?So,the topic.If you think,i am wasting space of the forum,i will end my post with this.Thank you.

gopal.

I would like to relate some experiences and observations from Canada on this topic. I know several Tamil Brahmins here. Many arrived in the 60s and early 70s. All were non priest by profession, mostly doctors, engineers, and university professors. Not just from TN, but all of India. Now it is 30 to 40 years later.

Situations vary greatly from individual to individual. We have a Tamil association that tries very hard to keep the culture alive here, especially carnatic music and Bharatya Nathyam. Regarding the temples, for the Tamils, it took an influx of Sri Lankans a bit later for temples to come up. And then it was Velalar, not Brahmin who did it.

Many individuals have found the temple as a place to go back to their roots. Others have become lost in adharma, gambling, meat eating and the like. The younger people are more tolerant and broader minded generally. But for myself, it's been wonderful associating with so many really intelligent people.

As for the brain drain, it really is sad. I don't see any obvious solutions, although since it is related to money, the discrepancy between here and there is decreasing, I think. Its also striking how often everyone goes home, like it seems once per year. That's why you see better hotels coming up around many large temples. It serves the needs of the western adjusted Indian expats, especially for the children born in the west.

Sorry for the rambling. Just a few thoughts from another perspective.

Aum Namasivaya

re

On the other hand, India, this 'Third World country,' has learnt to live with Islamic terrorism, its people do not panic as Americans do, it has a relatively stable stock market, its software business is still expanding and is beginning to offer salaries which will compete with the West. Could it be that this great brain drain towards America could be reversed and that NRIs start coming back to their country of origin in search of greener pastures? One could even dream: today one still sees this huge humiliating queues in front of the US embassy in Delhi, where visa applicants are treated like cattle. Will we one day witness Americans waiting in line in front of the Indian embassy in Washington to obtain working visas in India? It will happen my friends. One day.

rediff.com: Francois Gautier on being Indian abroad

gopal.

Gopalaswamy:

America has huge problems, the largest one being its debt, mainly to China. Clearly it is headed towards self-implosion unless some drastic measures are taken. So I would not at all be surprised if you are correct.

Aum

re

Shree EM,

I know all debts are temperorary.I think the future will see USA bouncing back with vigour and vitality.Americans are decent people and highly mis-understood owing to their outspoken habit of telling things,but a minority of them are simply diplomatic.In a nutshell all people exist everywhere and each one's experiance is a unique.I only have very sincere and warm feelings for North Americas.

AS you rightly said,its a on going brain drain situation globally.The universities encourage foreign students quiet a bit also and the quality of education,is world class,could be one more appealing reason.Thank you..

gopal.

Gopalaswami:

Such kind words. I travel to the US quite often, and I do cherish my American friends. I do hope you are right about their economy bouncing back. I think the new administration will help. The average working American needs a return. You are absolutely correct in saying each person is unique. We (Canada) actually have some brain drain to the US as well. But all this is superficial compared to spirituality.

Aum Namasivaya

Migration for better prospects is a continuous process. I migrated from a village to City. I had chance to migrate outside India but i didn't pursue and I don't have any regrets for that.My children have started migrating outside India.

I suggest everybody to do a SWOT analysis before attempting to migrate. The migrating countries Strenghts in social security, religious freedom, saving potential etc may be considered. Racial Discrimination, religious intolerance, weak economic systems may be the weakness areas to be considered. Longterm developmental opportunities, potential citizenship opportunities may be thought off. Relationship with neighboring countries, potential threats to the economy etc may be threat areas.

Once migrated, it may be difficult to return back to the native country. Once a person is accustomed to a way of living, it may be very difficult to adjust in a new environment.

எண்ணாயிரம் ஆண்டு யோகம் இருப்பினும் கண்ணார் அமுதனை கண்டறிவாரில்லை உள் நாடி ஒளி பெற உள்ளே நோக்கினார் கண்ணாடி போல கலந்து நின்றானே

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back