• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Globalisation of Aiyars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brahmanyan

This interesting article was forwarded to me by a relative of mine. This reflects the true globalisation of Aiyars in today's world.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Towards Globalisation

This is written by Swaminathan S Anklesaria Aiyer, about himself. Published in The Times of India.

In 1992, I wrote a book titled Towards Globalisation. I did not realise at the time that this was going to be the history of my family.

Last week, we celebrated the wedding of my daughter, Pallavi. A brilliant student, she had won scholarships to Oxford University and the London School of Economics. In London, she met Julio, a young man from Spain. The two decided to take up jobs in Beijing, China. Last week, they came over from Beijing to Delhi to get married. The wedding guests included 70 friends from North America, Europe and China.

That may sound totally global, but arguably my elder son Shekhar has gone further. He too won a scholarship to Oxford University, and then taught for a year at a school in Colombo. Next he went to Toronto, Canada, for higher studies. There he met a German girl, Franziska.

They both got jobs with the International Monetary Fund in Washington DC, USA. This meant that they constantly travelled on IMF business to disparate countries. Shekhar advised and went on missions to Sierra Leone, Seychelles, Kyrgyzstan and Laos. Franziska went to Rwanda, Tajikistan, and Russia. They interrupted these perambulations to get married in late 2003.

My younger son, Rustam, is only 15. Presumably he will study in Australia, marry a Nigerian girl, and settle in Peru.

Readers might think that my family was born and bred in a jet plane. The truth is more prosaic. Our ancestral home is Kargudi, a humble, obscure village in Tanjore district, Tamil Nadu. My earliest memories of it are as a house with no toilets, running water, or pukka road.

When we visited, we disembarked from the train at Tanjore, and then travelled 45 minutes by bullock cart to reach the ancestral home. My father was one of six children, all of whom produced many children (I myself had three siblings). So, two generations later, the size of the Kargudi extended family (including spouses) is over 200. Of these, only three still live in the village. The rest have moved across India and across the whole world, from China to Arabia to Europe to America.

This one Kargudi house has already produced 50 American citizens. So, dismiss the mutterings of those who claim that globalisation means westernisation. It looks more like Aiyarisation, viewed from Kargudi.

What does this imply for our sense of identity? I cannot speak for the whole Kargudi clan, which ranges from rigid Tamil Brahmins to beef-eating, pizza-guzzling, hip-hop dancers. But for me, the Aiyarisation of the world does not mean Aiyar domination. Nor does it mean Aiyar submergence in a global sea. It means acquiring multiple identities, and moving closer to the ideal of a brotherhood of all humanity. I remain quite at home sitting on the floor of the Kargudi house on a mat of reeds, eating from a banana leaf with my hands. I feel just as much at home eating noodles in China, steak in Spain, teriyaki in Japan and cous-cous in Morocco. I am a Kargudi villager, a Tamilian, a Delhi-wallah, an Indian, a Washington Redskins fan, and a citizen of the world, all at the same time and with no sense of tension or contradiction.

When I see the Brihadeeswara Temple in Tanjore, my heart swells and I say to myself “This is mine.” I feel exactly the same way when I see the Church of Bom Jesus in Goa, or the Jewish synagogue in Cochin, or the Siddi Sayed mosque in Ahmedabad: these too are mine. I have strolled so often through the Parks at Oxford University and along the canal in Washington, DC, that they feel part of me. As my family multiplies and intermarries, I hope one day to look at the Sagrada Familia cathedral in Barcelona and Rhine river in Germany and think, “These too are mine.”

We Aiyars have a taken a step toward the vision of John Lennon. Imagine there's no country, It isn't hard to do. Nothing to kill or die for, And no religion too.

My father's generation was the first to leave the village, and loosen its regional shackles. My father became a chartered accountant in Lahore, an uncle became a hotel manager in Karachi, and we had an aunt in Rangoon.

My generation loosened the shackles of religion. My elder brother married a Sikh, my younger brother married a Christian, and I married a Parsi. The next generation has gone a step further, marrying across the globe. Globalisation for me is not just the movement of goods and capital, or even of Aiyars. It is a step towards Lennon's vision of no country.

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope one day you'll join us. And the world will be one.

there is a dark side in this whole event of globalization. Swaminomics famed Iyers family has lost out the whole lot of religious identity through marriages. its very much proven beyond fact that getting married to christians,, the loosers are brahmins and the grandchildren for sure will move towards the abrahamic religions, comewhat the pressure the Iyer father gives. thats the sad result of this iyer globalisation. his name is Swaminathan Iyer. But will his great grand children bear the name Krishnan Iyer or Christopher iyer or westernised name Chris Iyer.

My generation loosened the shackles of religionMy elder brother married a Sikh, my younger brother married a Christian, and I married a Parsi

Will this term be acceptable Sikh Iyer, Christian Iyer, Parsi Iyer?

Part of what Sri.Shiv said -

there is a dark side in this whole event of globalization. Swaminomics famed Iyers family has lost out the whole lot of religious identity through marriages. its very much proven beyond fact that getting married to christians,, the loosers are brahmins and the grandchildren for sure will move towards the abrahamic religions, comewhat the pressure the Iyer father gives.

Sri.Shiv Sir,

Greetings. Any possible pressure from the Iyer father not withstanding, personally I don't see any dark side to that above story. It is actually a lovely piece posted by Sri.Brahmanyan, for which we should thank Sri.Brahmanyan.

Religions don't give us identities; we give identity to religions.
Religions don't strengthen our resolve; our participation strengthens the religion.
When we feared for the safety of our sisters or daughters, we tend to give them in marriage to the families we knew well.
When we worried for the culture and daily habits, we married within our own caste and sub-sects.
When we wnated to keep the wealth within the family, we tended to marry within relatives.

But, those above things have become history. Our habits are changing; our values are improved; we are starting to appreciate humanity. We have started to migrate to far away countries. It is only natural, we come across more people than ever before. Our children have more choices in everything, including marriage proposals than our elders ever had.

It is quite possible, the family mentioned in that article have a surname as 'Iyer' for the author called that article by that name. Mixing of religion is not a dark side, but a bright side. In such cases, nobody is forced to loose their identity.

Cheers!

Global village?

I recollect my poem:

Manithankukkaaga manadu
Manathirkkaaga matham
Enave manithanukkaaga mathangalandri
Mathangalukkaaga manithanalla

(Please see the thread 'ennudaya Tamizh kavidaigal' under literatire, for the Tamizh version.

Global village?

I recollect my poem:

Manithankukkaaga manadu
Manathirkkaaga matham
Enave manithanukkaaga mathangalandri
Mathangalukkaaga manithanalla

Please see the thread 'ennudaya Tamizh kavidaigal' under literature, for the Tamizh version.

I may be accused as the incorrigible fault-finder. Still i feel i may write my opinion. this writer has the notion that the type of "globalisation" is a great achievement on the part of his family and wants to tom-tom it and because he is a regular writer, he gets columns in newspapers, may be.

I notice that in his father's generation " My father became a chartered accountant in Lahore, an uncle became a hotel manager in Karachi, and we had an aunt in Rangoon." There is no express statement that his father married a lahore woman, uncle from Karachi and aunt from Rangoon. so there is sufficient reason to believe that they married tambrams only but went far away in search of sustenance. he cleverly hides this and probably wants to lessen the guilt complex in his sub-conscious by putting the initiative for globalised marriages to his father's generation. to me, in essence, what he wants to tell is "if my father's generation did not go out of Tanjore/TN, these would not have happened."

Now to the biggest humbug. he says "When I see the Brihadeeswara Temple in Tanjore, my heart swells and I say to myself “This is mine.” I feel exactly the same way when I see the Church of Bom Jesus in Goa, or the Jewish synagogue in Cochin, or the Siddi Sayed mosque in Ahmedabad: these too are mine. I have strolled so often through the Parks at Oxford University and along the canal in Washington, DC, that they feel part of me. As my family multiplies and intermarries, I hope one day to look at the Sagrada Familia cathedral in Barcelona and Rhine river in Germany and think, “These too are mine.

Then he contradicts by saying "We Aiyars have a taken a step toward the vision of John Lennon. Imagine there's no country, It isn't hard to do. Nothing to kill or die for, And no religion too." if there is no country, nothing to kill or die for, why have the feeling "mine"? either his language is defective or he is only telling about a more greedy mind set.

All in all, i feel the writer definitely feels like the fox with its tail cut-off and wants other foxes to imitate (old panchatantra story, i think)!!

It is quite possible, the family mentioned in that article have a surname as 'Iyer' for the author called that article by that name. Mixing of religion is not a dark side, but a bright side. In such cases, nobody is forced to loose their identity.

Cheers!

how can we call those children born out of wedlock between an Iyer to a Sikh/Christian/Muslim, and further their children following non-Hindu religion, as a Tamil Brahmin?

....We Aiyars have a taken a step toward the vision of John Lennon. Imagine there's no country, It isn't hard to do. Nothing to kill or die for, And no religion too.
I wonder what the author meant by "We Aiyars" -- did he mean just his family, or all Aiyar Brahmins?

In either case, John Lennon's song Imagine is an atheist anthem first and foremost. Here is the opening stanza of the song:
Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today
Living for today, not for some life after death, there is no such thing.

Brahmins, due to their socioeconomic status, were quick to smell better opportunities elsewhere and simply abandon their ancestral village for greener pastures. This particular Aiyar family is probably further along the road, but there are many more Brahmins right behind them. When a critical mass is achieved, the decline and disappearance of "pure" Brahmin identity will be swift.

Cheers!

The full song:
Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

Dear Sri "Nara",

You said it. It is my view that even now pure Aiyar is a vanishing breed. I think the writer means his family surname when he says "We Aiyars".
Thanks for posting the full song Imagine. I like it.

Warm Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

how can we call those children born out of wedlock between an Iyer to a Sikh/Christian/Muslim, and further their children following non-Hindu religion, as a Tamil Brahmin?

Sri.Shiv Sir,

Greetings. I think, the author uses a surname 'Iyer'. If someone uses a surname 'Iyer', that person need not be a Tamil Brahmin at all. It goes like this.....let us say, I call my surname 'Iyengar' (I don't; but I know few who do). My children & wife would use 'Iyengar' as the surname; My daughter's surname would change after her marriage.... my daughter-in-law would become 'Iyengar' even if she is white/christian/or any other religion etc. Their children would continue the surname 'Iyengar' after a couple of generations, you may find an almost all white couple with a surname 'Iyengar'. The name could be something like Stephen (Steve) Iyengar/Gloria Iyengar etc. Example - 'Alwyn Kallicharan'... (Kali Saran) was the surname. So, they need not be Tamil Brahmins at all.

Cheers!

Sri.Shiv Sir,
The name could be something like Stephen (Steve) Iyengar/Gloria Iyengar etc. Example - 'Alwyn Kallicharan'... (Kali Saran) was the surname. So, they need not be Tamil Brahmins at all.

Cheers!

so, stephen Iyengar/Gloria Iyengar/Ismail Iyengar is all OK and acceptable it seems. after all its a name. Will there by any issues, if dalits name there children kuppan Iyer/ madasamy iyengar? how community is going to view this welcomingly?

This interesting article was forwarded to me by a relative of mine. This reflects the true globalisation of Aiyars in today's world.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Towards Globalisation

This is written by Swaminathan S Anklesaria Aiyer, about himself. Published in The Times of India.

In 1992, I wrote a book titled Towards Globalisation. I did not realise at the time that this was going to be the history of my family.

Last week, we celebrated the wedding of my daughter, Pallavi. A brilliant student, she had won scholarships to Oxford University and the London School of Economics. In London, she met Julio, a young man from Spain. The two decided to take up jobs in Beijing, China. Last week, they came over from Beijing to Delhi to get married. The wedding guests included 70 friends from North America, Europe and China.

That may sound totally global, but arguably my elder son Shekhar has gone further. He too won a scholarship to Oxford University, and then taught for a year at a school in Colombo. Next he went to Toronto, Canada, for higher studies. There he met a German girl, Franziska.

They both got jobs with the International Monetary Fund in Washington DC, USA. This meant that they constantly travelled on IMF business to disparate countries. Shekhar advised and went on missions to Sierra Leone, Seychelles, Kyrgyzstan and Laos. Franziska went to Rwanda, Tajikistan, and Russia. They interrupted these perambulations to get married in late 2003.

My younger son, Rustam, is only 15. Presumably he will study in Australia, marry a Nigerian girl, and settle in Peru.

Readers might think that my family was born and bred in a jet plane. The truth is more prosaic. Our ancestral home is Kargudi, a humble, obscure village in Tanjore district, Tamil Nadu. My earliest memories of it are as a house with no toilets, running water, or pukka road.

When we visited, we disembarked from the train at Tanjore, and then travelled 45 minutes by bullock cart to reach the ancestral home. My father was one of six children, all of whom produced many children (I myself had three siblings). So, two generations later, the size of the Kargudi extended family (including spouses) is over 200. Of these, only three still live in the village. The rest have moved across India and across the whole world, from China to Arabia to Europe to America.

This one Kargudi house has already produced 50 American citizens. So, dismiss the mutterings of those who claim that globalisation means westernisation. It looks more like Aiyarisation, viewed from Kargudi.

What does this imply for our sense of identity? I cannot speak for the whole Kargudi clan, which ranges from rigid Tamil Brahmins to beef-eating, pizza-guzzling, hip-hop dancers. But for me, the Aiyarisation of the world does not mean Aiyar domination. Nor does it mean Aiyar submergence in a global sea. It means acquiring multiple identities, and moving closer to the ideal of a brotherhood of all humanity. I remain quite at home sitting on the floor of the Kargudi house on a mat of reeds, eating from a banana leaf with my hands. I feel just as much at home eating noodles in China, steak in Spain, teriyaki in Japan and cous-cous in Morocco. I am a Kargudi villager, a Tamilian, a Delhi-wallah, an Indian, a Washington Redskins fan, and a citizen of the world, all at the same time and with no sense of tension or contradiction.

When I see the Brihadeeswara Temple in Tanjore, my heart swells and I say to myself “This is mine.” I feel exactly the same way when I see the Church of Bom Jesus in Goa, or the Jewish synagogue in Cochin, or the Siddi Sayed mosque in Ahmedabad: these too are mine. I have strolled so often through the Parks at Oxford University and along the canal in Washington, DC, that they feel part of me. As my family multiplies and intermarries, I hope one day to look at the Sagrada Familia cathedral in Barcelona and Rhine river in Germany and think, “These too are mine.”

We Aiyars have a taken a step toward the vision of John Lennon. Imagine there's no country, It isn't hard to do. Nothing to kill or die for, And no religion too.

My father's generation was the first to leave the village, and loosen its regional shackles. My father became a chartered accountant in Lahore, an uncle became a hotel manager in Karachi, and we had an aunt in Rangoon.

My generation loosened the shackles of religion. My elder brother married a Sikh, my younger brother married a Christian, and I married a Parsi. The next generation has gone a step further, marrying across the globe. Globalisation for me is not just the movement of goods and capital, or even of Aiyars. It is a step towards Lennon's vision of no country.

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope one day you'll join us. And the world will be one.

These galahads -- to use the late Girilal Jain's expression -- would justify every thing that their family has undergone. He now has a hyphenated surname (of his parsi wife) Anklesaria-Iyer. He divorced Gitanjali, formerly a newreader with Doordarhan.

Some one told me they are ashtasahasrams and are related to Dr. K. Venkatasubramaniam, former Vice chancellor of Pondicherry Central University. It however is not an authentic information.

His elder brother the voluble Mani Shankar reportedly eats beef -- a taboo for Hindu, let alone for brahmins. But for votes, he will visit agraharams around Mayavaram!!

I have seen the tendency in those brahmin families who have lived in north for long and are practically cut off from their moorings to display their surnames be it Iyer or Iyengar.

They are the fit flag-bearers of the brahmin tradition.
icon13.png

Regards,
Swami

I wonder what the author meant by "We Aiyars" -- did he mean just his family, or all Aiyar Brahmins?

Brahmins, due to their socioeconomic status, were quick to smell better opportunities elsewhere and simply abandon their ancestral village for greener pastures. This particular Aiyar family is probably further along the road, but there are many more Brahmins right behind them. When a critical mass is achieved, the decline and disappearance of "pure" Brahmin identity will be swift.

I agree with the above.

so, stephen Iyengar/Gloria Iyengar/Ismail Iyengar is all OK and acceptable it seems. after all its a name. Will there by any issues, if dalits name there children kuppan Iyer/ madasamy iyengar? how community is going to view this welcomingly?

Sri.Shiv Sir,

Greetings. I explained in detail, how a surname gets carried by male off-springs. That's how I came about Steve Iyengar, Gloria Iyer etc; Your picking just one line from there and asking for explanation would confuse the reader. If you mentioned the post number, at least that would have helped the reader to read your quoted message in context.

I can not answer on behalf of the 'community'. I can voice my personal opinion. If a dalit chose to name their children as Kuppan Iyer or Madasamy Iyengar, who am I object? Secondly, even the community do not exactly 'own' the words 'Iyer' or 'Iyengar'. If someone actually name their children by those words, technically, there can be no objection from anybody.

So, in my humble opinion, if a dalit couple chose to name their children as Kuppan Iyer or Madasamy Iyengar, the community may have to get used to that.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back