• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Genes make you anti social: Swedish researchers

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are back to pet gene theory...Another proof that it is indeed genes which decide ones behavior...Your brain is conditioned by your genes and thus the behavior too is conditioned by genes..This is despite the fact that man is a social animal and surroundings do play a part in one's behavior and habits

[h=1]Genes make you anti-social: Swedish researchers[/h]Kounteya Sinha,TNN | Dec 15, 2014
LONDON: Whether you end up badly behaved and an anti-social has now been found to be the work of your genes.

Swedish researchers have found for the first time that you are genetically predisposed to anti-social behaviour.

Both positive and negative experiences influence how genetic variants affect the brain and thereby behaviour.

"Evidence is accumulating to show that the effects of variants of many genes that are common in the population depend on environmental factors. Further, these genetic variants affect each other," explained Sheilagh Hodgins of the University of Montreal and its affiliated Institut Universitaire en Sante Mentale de Montreal.

"We conducted a study to determine whether juvenile offending was associated with interactions between three common genetic variants and positive and negative experiences." Hodgins said.

Every single high school student aged 17 to 18 years old in Vstmanland in Sweden was invited to participate in the study and 1,337 agreed to do so. They anonymously completed questionnaires reporting on delinquency, family conflict, experiences of sexual abuse and the quality of their relationship with their parents.

They also provided a sample of saliva from which the researchers extracted DNA.

The Monoamine oxidase A (MAOA) gene is a key enzyme in the catabolism of brain neurotransmitters, monoamines, especially serotonin.

Catabolism is the breaking down of complex materials and the releasing of energy within an organism.

"About 25% of Caucasian men carry the less active variant of MAOA. Among them, those who experience physical abuse in childhood are more likely than those who are not abused to display serious antisocial behaviour from childhood through adulthood," Hodgins explained. "Among females it is the high activity variant of the MAOA gene that interacts with adversity in childhood to increase the likelihood of antisocial behaviour".

The brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) gene modulates neuronal plasticity - our brain cells' ability to reorganize pathways and connections throughout our lives. "The low expressing variants of BDNF are carried by approximately 30% of individuals and some previous studies had shown that this variant was associated with aggressive behaviour if carriers were exposed to aggressive peers. The third gene we studied was the serotonin transporter 5-HTTLPR," Hodgins said. "The low activity variant of this gene is carried by approximately 20% of individuals. Among carriers of this low activity variant, those exposed to adversity in childhood are more likely than those who are not to display antisocial and aggressive behaviour".

"We found that the three genetic variants interacted with each other and with family conflict and sexual abuse to increase the likelihood of delinquency and with a positive parent-child relationship to decrease the risk of delinquency," Hodgins explained. "Among carriers of the low activity variants of all three genes, those exposed to family conflict or sexual abuse or both reported high levels of delinquency while those who reported a positive and warm relationship with their parents reported little or no delinquency".

In conclusion, variants of three common genes, MAOA, BDNF, and 5-HTTLPR, interacted with each other and with negative environmental factors to increase the risk of delinquency and with a positive environmental factor to decrease the risk of delinquency in a large sample of teenagers.

"These findings add to those from other studies to show that genes affect the brain, and thereby behaviour, by altering sensitivity to the environment," Hodgins said.

Genes make you anti-social: Swedish researchers - The Times of India

So genes interact with environment. It was rich Boyd and his associate of UCLA then and now it is Sheilagh Hodgins of the University of Montreal and its affiliated Institut Universitaire en Sante Mentale de Montreal. Renukaji, do you listen? Science again and again proves this and declares this loudly. Take this and add this to your knowledge base. You have been persisting with the "Vaagmi gene theory" for too long. It is time you wake up and take a close look at things. LOL.

So genes interact with environment. It was rich Boyd and his associate of UCLA then and now it is Sheilagh Hodgins of the University of Montreal and its affiliated Institut Universitaire en Sante Mentale de Montreal. Renukaji, do you listen? Science again and again proves this and declares this loudly. Take this and add this to your knowledge base. You have been persisting with the "Vaagmi gene theory" for too long. It is time you wake up and take a close look at things. LOL.

I was waiting for you to enter this thread!LOL

Vaagm Ji..how can you forget that its me who keep writing many times about the Vaagmi Gene Theory and I have even said I am your fan!

So you see I was now wondering is there a genetic reason why some humans are not sociable in real life and prefer to lead a quiet life but have active online social lives?

Any idea Vaagmi ji?

BTW your Vaagmi Gene theory...It has been me all along who had supported you and feel there could be a basis.

But its you who refuses to come up with evidence and isolate the gene sequence.

I am waiting..waiting..waiting.

Dear Vaagmi ji,

Ok lets start isolating the Vaagmi Gene.

We have to start somewhere.

Firstly since its about Sattva Guna we have to decide if the isolation of the gene is going to be in the physical body or the subtle body?

If it is the physical body..it makes the isolation possible.

To start off firstly we need to have a hypothesis and work on it.

Ok..Do you feel that the Vaagmi Gene is a recessive or dominant gene?

I feel it could be recessive ..that is why it is so easily diluted when there is an intercaste marriage.

Sattva Guna is recessive..Rajo Guna is dominant.

So that means a both parents need to carry that gene.

Now there is also a 2nd possibility that it is a Y chromosome attached gene.

If it is..then only males will display characteristics of the Vaagmi gene...may be that can explain Gotra and it inheritance which is Y chromosome based.

Now but still there is a grey area here..if it is Y based..then why do females too display Sattva Guna?

It is becos of environmental factors...that is there are conditioned by the Sattvic lifestyle?

So you see Vaagmi Ji..I have started some hypothesis ..you should take over from here.

Renukaji, please read my reply in blue below:

I was waiting for you to enter this thread!LOL

I knew you would be waiting. That is why I came and posted here without PMing you.

Vaagm Ji..how can you forget that its me who keep writing many times about the Vaagmi Gene Theory and I have even said I am your fan!

I know that. But that theory is not mine to start with. When I am credited with something which I do not own I start seeing a diabolic intent there. LOL.

So you see I was now wondering is there a genetic reason why some humans are not sociable in real life and prefer to lead a quiet life but have active online social lives?

You can give them a questionnaire and gather info and come to a conclusion instead of wondering for ever.

Any idea Vaagmi ji?

I do not know. Please help me.

BTW your Vaagmi Gene theory...It has been me all along who had supported you and feel there could be a basis.

Again diabolic intent? LOL.

But its you who refuses to come up with evidence and isolate the gene sequence.
I am waiting..waiting..waiting.

Ada Ramachandra!!!!அட ராமச்சந்திரா!!! ராமச்சந்திரா!!!! விடிய விடிய ராமாயணம் கேட்டவன் சீதைக்கு ராமன் சித்தப்பாவான்னு கேட்டது போல. I am not ready for this game. Back to University of California and starting all over again with Rich Boyd's paper etc., Better go to the archives and spend some time reading my earlier posts on this-the impact of environment on human genes-and find answers to your problems. No need to wait. It requires only a few clicks and few key depressions on your key-board.

Ada Ramachandra!!!!அட ராமச்சந்திரா!!! ராமச்சந்திரா!!!! விடிய விடிய ராமாயணம் கேட்டவன் சீதைக்கு ராமன் சித்தப்பாவான்னு கேட்டது போல. I am not ready for this game. Back to University of California and starting all over again with Rich Boyd's paper etc., Better go to the archives and spend some time reading my earlier posts on this-the impact of environment on human genes-and find answers to your problems. No need to wait. It requires only a few clicks and few key depressions on your key-board.

Ada Rama, Nee Nammakitta Dhoopa Vidalama?

Answers! I need answers!

If the above theory is valid, then the meaning of the following song needs introspection:

'ENTHA KUZHANDIUM NALLA KUZHANDIDHAN MANNIL PIRAKKAYILE!

ADHU NALLAVARAVATHUM THEEYAVARAVATHUM ANNAI VALARKAYILE!'

If the above theory is valid, then the meaning of the following song needs introspection:

'ENTHA KUZHANDIUM NALLA KUZHANDIDHAN MANNIL PIRAKKAYILE!

ADHU NALLAVARAVATHUM THEEYAVARAVATHUM ANNAI VALARKAYILE!'

You are referring to a 1976 movie, while this is a 2014 research work

Nature versus Nurture. i.e., You have an innate gene, i.e., Jeans is anti-social or You have an environment where everyone wears Jeans, and you are that veerappan wearing the kyli.

Interesting concept. But genes can be coined as and when they are found to have a high combination when permuted to a particular phenotype. So what is the problem? Ok, so Genes are patchy, they are old, for they have been there since ages, and only now been given a name and association!! Now you wonder how some GODS mutate their genes to have more than one head?

they were above the CLOUD platform, thats why. So the Cloud is a gene ( a big one ) in itself. It depends which part of the cloud environment you are in to have more heads!!

the environment based marker on a gene.

this is not difficult question or answer, whichever comes first. the new gene has arrived in the arena. the arena is new and the gene is new. so the marker is in the environment and the gene itself...hmm.. i only tried advaita on gene...btw, VAAGMI sounds a big gamer in micro environment!

this is not difficult question or answer, whichever comes first. the new gene has arrived in the arena. the arena is new and the gene is new. so the marker is in the environment and the gene itself...hmm.. i only tried advaita on gene...btw, VAAGMI sounds a big gamer in micro environment!

'big gamer in micro environment"--I do not know.
What I know for sure is this that I am an ordinary poor brahmin who has nothing to his credit except his little bit of knowledge and immense amount of happiness and contentment.
I do not know what is being a big gamer in a micro or macro environment.
I think I know sufficiently(just sufficiently) about advaita and gene to argue and enjoy a good fight with Renukaji here.
Just take a second look at my avatar and you will know this truth.LOL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back