• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Gayatri Mantra - Meaning and Translation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really appreciate your interest in doing Puja in a Temple. Perhaps you have to visit a Temple
in your place frequently and start assisting the Gurukal over there for sometime and express your
interest in learning things as a hobby not as a Competitor to him, if you do not have a place to
learn in a Class. Online coaching may not bring you the desired results.

Any person whether man or woman, young or old can do Puja at home, if he or she knows the
basics of Puja. I do not think caste, language, sex, etc is a hindrance for doing Puja at home.
The true fact is that in Hinduism, there is no discrimination of any sort against women too. She
has to completely observe certain routines (their periods, etc) if they are to do Puja. In India
there are some temples, where women do perform Puja. Preferably above 50 would be an ideal
age. Our great Rishis considered man and woman as equal in spirituality. The Pujas are done
mainly with Moola Mandra. This has to be learnt only through Guru, if one has to attain the
desired result. Each mantra is a magazine (by various Writers) of vast spiritual force. We have
to choose the correct and appropriate one. For e.g. Dhanwanthri Puja - to come out of one's
own ailments - "Ohm Dwam Dhanwantharaye Namaha", For Goddess Saraswathi - "Ohm Shreem
Hreem Saraswathaye Namah". These are very simple ones, especially for children to chant.
There are many Sanskrit Documents which you can refer in the Net Too. There is one website
Sanskritdocumednt.org/mirrors/puja/how_why/puja_what is%20_it.htm. In this you will
find procedurally everything. There is a difference in doing Pujas at home and at Temples.
If you have a person locally in T.Nagar, you can collect a book titled "Eliya Agama Pujaa Murai"
i.e. Easy way of performing Puja released by Village Temple Pujaris Peravai, located at No.43
Ramanujam Street, T.Nagar, Chennai 600 017 authored by Shgri R.P.V.S. Manian. If you
go through this, you will get some idea and start doing yourself, before learning Rudram,
Sri Suktham, etc.

Wish you all the best for your interest.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

The meaning of the Gayatri Mantra is:

Om = God who is Sat-Chit-Ananda = That which is Eternal-Energy of Creation-Bliss; bhUH= This World; bhuvaH = the Other World ; suvaH = the World created by our karmas. These are the vyAhR^itis as they are called; This is also interpreted as the Wakeful State; Dream State; and Deep Sleep state;

Tat = That; savituH = of the savitA(The Sun) or equivalently The Creator; devasya = of the Lord ; vareNyaM bhargaH = resplendent radiance dhImahi = we meditate on| [so that] yaH = who naH = our; dhiyaH = intellects ; prachodayaat = May (He) Drive !

This a prayer to the Creator "who is ever effulgent and is the First Cause (Material and Essential) of the Universe(s) on whose resplent Light we meditate on. Why? So that He may drive our intellects.

The dedication of our of thinking to The One ensures whatever is produced by our intellects is sanctified by Him. Since the meditation is on His Resplendence all darkness(Ignorance) is dispelled. That is why it is said that the Gayatri Japa makes one's mind sharp and aids the growth of Knowledge. You are directly appealing to the Highest Power to take charge of one of the most difficult thins to control! The human mind!

This is a Physical and Metaphysical explanation.

In psychology we have something called Auto-suggesstion, and by saying some words many times, we have required improvement. Hence all Mantrams - Mananam Drhraayathi ithi Manthraha - That sentence which by repeated utterance will improve a person's life in that particular sense is called Manthram.

Gaayathri Manthram is also one of such Auto-suggesting effect. It is mainly used for improving the intellect of a person. Its Deva is Sun - In astrology Sun is the God for Intellect. Hence it is the propitiation of Sun God, for improving intellect.

It starts with OM. The Omkaaram is made of three parts - Aapthi - Desire, Uthkarsham - Efforts taken to fulfill the desire, Mukthi - Fulfillment of desire. Interested persons can do detailed study of OMkaaram in Maandukya Upanishadh.

Bhu denotes Generation, Bhuva denotes Organisation, Suvaha - Destruction, these three together denote the Parabrahman - Generator, Organiser, and Destroyer - GOD.

Thath - That,
Savithuhu - Maker, this word Savithuhu denotes, Sun and even Father. Persons with Sankstri knowledge may acknowledge.
VarENyam - Best,
Bargaha - Brahman, this word Bargaha denotes that the Maker is Genderless, Formless, Shapeless. IT is neither he or she but only it.
Devasya - Full of Light, KEna Upanishadh says that the Brahman is embodiment of Light. It gives particular duties to all the organs, xiz. Eyes see only because of Brahman etc.
Dheemahi - I propitiate.
Dhiyaha - Budhdhi - Intellect,
Yaha - Which,
Naha - Mine,
PrachOdhayaath - Improves.

I have personally seen the effect of Chanting Gaayathri Manthram (I have recited several Lakh times during my daily sandhtaavandhanams) and this Manthram will invariably improve the chanter's intellect.

The chanting of any Manthram has some rules, and Chanting Gaayathri Manthram should be done with required rules.

“O Effulgent, Infinite, Omnipotent, Omniscient and Omnipresent being,
bless me with Right Understanding and Clarity of Thinking.”
- Gayatri Mantra (Rig Veda)

(Meaning by Swami Srikantanandaji
Personality Development Course V.I.H.E*)

*Vivekananda Institute of Human Excellence, Ramakrishna Math, Hyderabad

Thanks for this

One need to have the knowledge of significance of Gayathri, because we are taught at
the time of Upanayanam itself by the Sastrigals and the elders. Gayathri is known
mother of all Vedas or we can call it as Vedamatha also. If one is totally devoted,
without any deviation while chanting Gayathri Mantra, one can take it as granted
as achievement or attainment of great success in life and in other words, it takes
one to the path of self-advancement inspiring a righteous wisdom.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

I have personally seen the effect of Chanting Gaayathri Manthram (I have recited several Lakh times during my daily sandhtaavandhanams) and this Manthram will invariably improve the chanter's intellect.

The chanting of any Manthram has some rules, and Chanting Gaayathri Manthram should be done with required rules.

Sir,
How long does it take for you, in general, to recite it 108 times?

It takes hardly 10 seconds to recite each Gayathri Mathra. This is my personal experience, and I have recited over several thousand times - Gayathri Manthram.

Baba has already explained the importance of Gayathri in his lectures couple
of times. The Gayathri Mantra invokes the Sun God and is common to all
religions. Gayathri Mantra, if chanted regularly, if possible 3 days a day
(dawn, noon and dusk), it unfolds one's Buddhi for spiritual development.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

One should recite the gayathri mantra with five pauses as per kanda raja deekshithar sandhyavandhana manthratha deepika.
Om
Bhur Bhuvah Suvahah
Tat sa vithur varenyam
Bhargo devasya dheemahi
Dhiyo yo na Prachothayat

(sorry if typo error is there). You can find this same comment in all the smritis. So chant gayathri and attain the Oneness.

Om Namah Shivayah
C.R.Bala

Baba has already explained the importance of Gayathri in his lectures couple
of times. The Gayathri Mantra invokes the Sun God and is common to all
religions. Gayathri Mantra, if chanted regularly, if possible 3 days a day
(dawn, noon and dusk), it unfolds one's Buddhi for spiritual development.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Balu sir,

I do sandya vandanam 3 times a day and obviously chant Gayathri manthra too. Aanaa solrachche mind manthirattula illaama alapayaarathu sir. Enna panrathunne theriyala..

The art of doing PRANAyAma is itself for controlling the mind. PrANa - Breath and ayamam - control. By doing it scientifically, that is poorvaka, kumbaka and rEchaka in the ratio 8,16,16 or 8,16,32 naadi (we can take is as second) will invariably lengthen your breath cycle and in effect control your mind, and thus unnecessary thoughts will cease to evolve from such mind. Hence pRANAyAma plays the pivotal role in controlling the mind, and reach higher mental states.

This can be experimented by practice - fast heavy breath will create disturbing mind, with a lot of incoherant thoughts, but by practice, by regular practice of pRANAyAma we can control the breath and hence control the mind. This is part of RAja yOga.

Thirumoolar in his Thirumandhiram has even given a sequence of 16,32 and 64 for poorvaka, kumbaka and rEchaka for attaining samAdhi.

The answer for this is given by our kanchi mamunivar sri maha periyava in deivathin kural. As suba42 said, doing pranayama itself will control the mind and prepare one to concentrate on the vibrations of the mantras that he/she recite it. As we all know while doing sandhyavandhana before performing the gayathri japa one has to do pranayama for 10 times. Maha periyava asks "How many of them do this pranayama 10 times correctly? If they would have performed, they have answers for all their problems?" So do it properly. Even test your sandhyavandhana procedure by consulting with your graha acharya or temple preist. If any mistake is there he can correct you and he can check whether you are pronouncing the mantras in correct notation.

Om Namah Shivayah
Thanks
C.R.Bala

Well, the more you perform your pRANAyAmam with required time specifications, there you are near the Maker. The primary motive of doing pRANAyAma is to still the mind. It should be thoughtless. It is not the easier said than done. The thoughtless mind is very difficult to achieve!!! Only the thoughtless mind give us the conditions of the NiRgUNa Parabhraman in the Dimensionless State which has created 100s of dimensions and we are in the 3rd dimension.

The only way to attain MOKsha (Dimensionless State) is to get you rid of thoughts !!!

Is it possible???

ThirunAvukkarasar says :"manam seththu madiya" - the blasted mind gives all the problems for any jeevaathmaa. If one can kill the mind, then one will invariably reach the Brahman (in the dimensionless state) which has formed 100s of dimensions and we are in the 3rd dimension!!!

Last edited:
All jeevaathmaas wanting to know about "This Universe and the Maker of this Universe" can contact me at [email protected].

The write up starts with Physics and ends with Metaphysics.

Well, one can really know the plinth of existence!!!

I am really very happy to hear that you are doing thrice. It will have its good effect on you
and you will realise it sooner than later. Perhaps you need to practice Meditation to control
your mind to stayput at one place than wavering.

You can start chanting some Beeja Mantras with Guru Upasana for controlling your mind.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Pranayamam is nothing but an art of breath control. It can be achieved
only by regular practice sitting in a separate place not mingled with others.
One has do it slowly in the beginning, if not conversant, and gradually
increase it. While doing, one has to concentrate on the Gayathri Matha
on the middle of the eye brows, as if she is standing before us. If one is
able to do it without difficulty, it relieves a person from blood pressure
related problems, heart disease related and even bulky stomach can be brought
down.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Well, the more you perform your pRANAyAmam with required time specifications, there you are near the Maker. The primary motive of doing pRANAyAma is to still the mind. It should be thoughtless. It is not the easier said than done. The thoughtless mind is very difficult to achieve!!! Only the thoughtless mind give us the conditions of the NiRgUNa Parabhraman in the Dimensionless State which has created 100s of dimensions and we are in the 3rd dimension.

The only way to attain MOKsha (Dimensionless State) is to get you rid of thoughts !!!

Is it possible???

ThirunAvukkarasar says :"manam seththu madiya" - the blasted mind gives all the problems for any jeevaathmaa. If one can kill the mind, then one will invariably reach the Brahman (in the dimensionless state) which has formed 100s of dimensions and we are in the 3rd dimension!!!

Lord Krishna said " chanchalam hi manah, tasyaham nigraham manye vayoriva dushkaram". If you want to "control" the mind you are trying to play a double game - to be at iham and param. Ideally one should be able to kill the mind while alive.

hi, I am very glad to join this site. Thorough this site i like to learn lot of things about pujas & slokams.

Welcome to you to join this forum. You can come to know many things
about various aspects of Hindu Religion as there are many stalwarts who
contribute about Vedas, Ithihasas, etc. As regards Slokas, Stotras, etc.
you may peruse Vedanta Spiritual Library, wherein you will get Slokas
of your Choice with meaning, which is being updated by Mr PR Ramachandra,
who is doing an yeoman service in this area.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

dear brothers, the sound 'om ' is split into 'oh' & ' im ', which are the highest frequency & lost frequency of sound of the supreme energy which can influence the human bio energetic fields

OM is a sacred word and it consists of three syllables i.e. A, U, M.
A - represents Creation (Lord Brahma)
U - represents Sustenance or Preservation (Lord Maha Vishnu)
M - Stands for destructive power of God (Lord Shiva) - this is not treated as
a negative activity and it is elaborately defined and explained in the
Puranas about the positive effects.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back