• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Gayathri or Gayathreees...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLN

I have a very basic (maybe, a very silly!) doubt. When we talk about Gayathri, we all refer to the great and Universal Mahamanthra, created by the great Maharshi Vishwamitra which runs as : "Om /Bhoorbhuvassuvah / Tatsaviturvarenyam/ Bhargodevasya Dheemahi / Dhiyo Yonafprachodayaath" (Discerning members, pardon me for not using capitals at appropriate places please!). Further more, the very wordings seem to be the same everywhere, though one can notice some differences in the 'svara' in which it is recited, between the North and the South.

My doubt is that as against this universality, we also come across so many Gayathri manthras in the name of almost every deity, big or small, famous or obscure! Not only that, there seem to be even more than one Gayathri manthra for some of the deities! For example, for Soorya, the versions are: "Bhaaskaraaya / Ashwadhwajaaya Vidhmahe, Divaakaraaya / Padmahastaaya / Paasahasthaaya Dheemahi, Thanno Aaditya / Soorya Prachodayaath". For, Durga, there are two versions: Kaathyayanyaicha/ Girijaayaicha Vidhmahe, Kanyakumareecha / Haripriyaaya Dheemahi, Thanno durge Prachodayaath." There may be many more such variations!

I wish to know:

1. Is Vishwamitra's gayathri manthra the original one and others came into existence later, or, all of them have come to us from ancient times, or, Vishwamitra is a late comer in the scene?

2. Are all such gayathris authored by Vishwamitra only, or, they are all the creations of different people? If so, who are they? Can anybody create a gayathri, just like that? (After all, it is not so very difficult! All these gayathris follow the same formula" XXXXXXXX Vidhmahe, XXXXXXXXXX Dheemahi, Thanno XXXXXXXXx Prachodayaath". You put the name or "Dhwajam" before "Vidhmahe", the flower or the bird or the weapon in the hand of the deity before "Hasthaaya Dheemahi" and put the deity's one of the many names between "Thanno" and "Prachodayaath" and you have your own Gayathri, made to order! So, can you customise your own Gayathri manthra, for your favourite deity, using the standard format?

3. What is so special about such gayathris any way, because there seem to be as many (or, rather more!) gayathris as there are deities?

The chief Gayatri praying to Soorya is the most important. The other gayatris might have been composed in a period of time. Each gayatri is addressed to the particular deity. No body would stop composing a gayatri in Karunanidhi's name or Kushbhoo's name. There should be people to recite them. BTW, I doubt Vishwamitra created the common Gayatri; he only popularized its importance. While at this I have a doubt whether the Gaya'tri' and Go'tram' correspond to each other or different. I hope the learned people can throw some light.

I have a very basic (maybe, a very silly!) doubt. When we talk about Gayathri, we all refer to the great and Universal Mahamanthra, created by the great Maharshi Vishwamitra which runs as : "Om /Bhoorbhuvassuvah / Tatsaviturvarenyam/ Bhargodevasya Dheemahi / Dhiyo Yonafprachodayaath" (Discerning members, pardon me for not using capitals at appropriate places please!). Further more, the very wordings seem to be the same everywhere, though one can notice some differences in the 'svara' in which it is recited, between the North and the South.

My doubt is that as against this universality, we also come across so many Gayathri manthras in the name of almost every deity, big or small, famous or obscure! Not only that, there seem to be even more than one Gayathri manthra for some of the deities! For example, for Soorya, the versions are: "Bhaaskaraaya / Ashwadhwajaaya Vidhmahe, Divaakaraaya / Padmahastaaya / Paasahasthaaya Dheemahi, Thanno Aaditya / Soorya Prachodayaath". For, Durga, there are two versions: Kaathyayanyaicha/ Girijaayaicha Vidhmahe, Kanyakumareecha / Haripriyaaya Dheemahi, Thanno durge Prachodayaath." There may be many more such variations!

I wish to know:

1. Is Vishwamitra's gayathri manthra the original one and others came into existence later, or, all of them have come to us from ancient times, or, Vishwamitra is a late comer in the scene?

2. Are all such gayathris authored by Vishwamitra only, or, they are all the creations of different people? If so, who are they? Can anybody create a gayathri, just like that? (After all, it is not so very difficult! All these gayathris follow the same formula" XXXXXXXX Vidhmahe, XXXXXXXXXX Dheemahi, Thanno XXXXXXXXx Prachodayaath". You put the name or "Dhwajam" before "Vidhmahe", the flower or the bird or the weapon in the hand of the deity before "Hasthaaya Dheemahi" and put the deity's one of the many names between "Thanno" and "Prachodayaath" and you have your own Gayathri, made to order! So, can you customise your own Gayathri manthra, for your favourite deity, using the standard format?

3. What is so special about such gayathris any way, because there seem to be as many (or, rather more!) gayathris as there are deities?

Dear Shri CLN,

gāyatrī is the name of one of the poetical metres used in the ṛgveda. I reproduce the relevant portion from this post for ready reference:

Poetical metres or cHandases (छन्दः சந்தஸ்)in RV:

The more common poetical metres are listed below according to the number of letters (aksharas) required for each:

gAyatree* - 24
ushNik - 28
anushTup (anushTubh) - 32
br^hatee* - 36
pangkti - 40
trishTubh - 44
jagatee* - 48

* Note the long 'ee' ( ஈ) at the end.

There are other metres equiring less than 24 aksharas or more than 48 aksharas. According to scholars the shortest and longest metres in vEdas (all the four of them) are ’mA’ cHandas - 4 aksharas and utkr^ti cHandas - 104 letters.

An important point of much interest is that the gAyatree mantra is not in gAyatree cHandas; it is one akshara short (only 23 aksharas) and is therefore called "nicr^d gAyatree"(निचृद् गायत्री - நிச்ருத்காயத்ரீ). (This is why in the nyAsa for gAyatree japam we say "sAvitryA r^shirviSvAmitraH, nicr^d gAyatree cHandaH, savitA dEvatAH; the mantra is actually "sAvitri"). If two letters are short, then the metre is known 'virAj gAyatree'.
The mantra ascribed to viśvāmitra, which goes in common parlance as "gāyatrī" (பிராஹ்மணனுக்கு காயத்ரிஜபத்தினுடைய ப்ரஹ்ம தேஜஸ் முகத்திலெ பளிச்னு தெரியும்!), is in fact known as sāvitri in learned circles since it is addressed to the deity savitā.

Once the sāvitri in gāyatrī metre became the corner stone of brahmanical practices, there was perhaps a "demand" for gāyatrīs for praying to various deities. Thus we find in the Mahanarayanopanishad (part of Krishna YV) several more gāyatrīs - all set to that very same metre (which is 24 aksharas in 3 padas of eight each).

Yes, it is a perfect algorithmic matter, like "abc A, ya (aicha -for feminine gender depending on grammar rules) vidmahe || pqr A, ya (ai cha) dheemahi || tanno st pracodayaat||" will be the formula, where one has to substitute 4 aksharas each in the first and the second padas, two in the third. The approximate meaning will be "May we realise, know abc; (for that) we meditate upon pqr; may st impel us towards it.

Just yesterday we had one post giving an error-laden gayatree for maariyamman in one post. Now I find that we have gaayatree for some of our godmen, gurujis and even the departed religious acharyas ;)

Why don't you search out for gods without gaayatree of their own and compose new gaayatrees for them; will be an interesting pastime :)

Last edited:
Om guptashilaaya vidmahe 2Gdhanapatraaya dhimahi tanno karunanidhi prachodayat

Om may we realise the secretiveness/cunningness (of someone), for that we meditate upon the 2G Spectrum Currency Notes, May the epitome of kindness impel us towards it.

In other words, may the epitome of kindness show some mercy upon us and lead us to where the 2G spectrum currency notes are hidden due to the secretiveness /cunningness of someone.

Sangom sir please correct this if gramatically incorrect.

Last edited:
Om guptashilaaya vidmahe 2Gdhanapatraaya dhimahi tanno karunanidhi prachodayat

Om may we realise the secretiveness/cunningness (of someone), for that we meditate upon the 2G Spectrum Currency Notes, May the epitome of kindness impel us towards it.

In other words, may the epitome of kindness show some mercy upon us and lead us to where the 2G spectrum currency notes are hidden due to the secretiveness /cunningness of someone.

Sangom sir please correct this if gramatically incorrect.

I think your idea may be better expressed in the form - om̐ guptadhanāya vidmahe, 2g spectrāya dhīmahi, tanno MK pracodayāt (Om ! We want to realize the hidden treasure/wealth, we meditate upon 2G spectrum; may MK lead us to that ;)

Last edited:
Some rambling prone to gramatical errors though the meaning is conveyed:

Om Kutakritaaya Vidmahe Karunadasaya Dhimahi Tanno RAJA Prachodayat.
[Kutakrit = crafty / cheater / cunning]

Om ViklinahHridayaicha Vidmahe Ahraaya Dhimahi Tanno KUSHBU Prachodayat.
[Viklinahriday = soft-heartedness / one easily moved, Ahray = bold]

For Recital during arati / harathi at 'that' temple :
Om Divyaroopaaya Vidmahe Punyabhaajaya Dhimahi Tanno KHUSHBU Prachodayat
[Divyaroopa = Divinely beautiful, Punyabhaaja = blessed]

Om Varnaatmakaicha Vidmahe Ramyaroopaaya Dhimahi Tanno JAYALALITHA Prachodayat.
[Varnaatmaka = (blessed with good) articulation (abilities), Ramyarupa = beautiful]

Om abhaaginyaicha Vidmahe ShahikalaDurprayogaya Dhimahi Tanno JAYALALITHA Prachodayat.
[abhagin = unfortunate / without-share, ShashikalaDurprayog = misused by a part of moon]

Om Abhirupaya Vidmahe Pradhiiyaya Dhimahi Tanno KAMALHASAN Prachodayat
[Abhirupa = very handsome, Pradhii = very talented, of superior intelligence / capabilities ]

Om Bhavyaaya Vidmahe Maitrimayaaya Dhimahi Tanno RAJANIKANT Prachodayat
[Bhavya = good, handsome, pious, fortunate. Maitrimay = benevolent, kind ]

Regards.

Some more, for our Cricketers:

Om Prasidhaaya Vidmahe Dhiiraaya Dhimahi Tanno SACHIN Prachodayaat
Om Balabhrtaaya Vidmahe Mahabhaagaaya Dhimahi Tanno DHONI Prachodayaat
Om Phalavatyaaya Vidmahe Lakshmanaaya Dhimahi Tanno SEHWAG Prachodayaat
Om Abhijaataya Vidmahe Pushkalaaya Dhimahi Tanno GAMBHIR Prachodayaat
Om Ruchiraaya Vidmahe Saaravataaya Dhimahi Tanno RAINA Prachodayaat
Om Sumanaaya Vidmahe Mangalaaya Dhimahi Tanno KOHLI Prachodayaat
Om Bhadradosaaya Vidmahe Madhuraaya Dhimahi Tanno YUVRAJ Prachodayaat
Om Kshemaaya Vidmahe Vrishabhaaya Dhimahi Tanno ZAHEER Prachodayaat
Om Sthiraaya Vidmahe Sudhiiyaaya Dhimahi Tanoo HARBHAJAN Prachodayaat
Om Baalulaaya Vidmahe Shobhanaaya Dhimahi Tanno MUNAF Prachodayaat
Om Nipunaaya Vidmahe Naryaaya Dhimahi Tanno YUSUF Prachodayaat
Om Anityaaya Vidmahe Sukhabhujaaya Dhimahi Tanno SREESANT Prachodayaat
Om Sujaataya Vidmahe Vaajinaaya Dhimahi Tanno NEHRA Prachodayaat

Hope i have not left anyone out..

Last edited:
HH,

The ideas are good. But besides grammatical errors (none of us may have very deep knowledge of Sanskrit, anyaway) you have used more letters (aksharas) than the required 24, no more and no less. Who knows, you may be known to posterity as the modern viśvāmitrī. ;)

I give below one (easiest) corrected instance:

Om Divyaroopaayai Vidmahe Punyabhaajayai Dhimahi Tanno KHUSHBU Prachodayaat
[Divyaroopaa = Divinely beautiful (f), Punyabhaajaa = blessed (f)]

HH,

The ideas are good. But besides grammatical errors (none of us may have very deep knowledge of Sanskrit, anyaway) you have used more letters (aksharas) than the required 24, no more and no less. Who knows, you may be known to posterity as the modern viśvāmitrī. ;)

I give below one (easiest) corrected instance:

Om Divyaroopaayai Vidmahe Punyabhaajayai Dhimahi Tanno KHUSHBU Prachodayaat
[Divyaroopaa = Divinely beautiful (f), Punyabhaajaa = blessed (f)]

:lol:

I found it difficult to fit the 24 akshara limit and yet convey what i wanted to..

Will remember the feminine usage. Thanks sir.

Hard to say which Gayatri came 1st..most probably Vishwamitras "dis-covery" of the main gayatri becos The Gayatri is the universal prayer enshrined in the vedas, the most ancient scriptures of man. It is addressed to the Immanent and Transcendent Divine which has been given the name 'Savitha', meaning 'that from which all this is born'. The Gayatri may be considered as having three parts: (i) praise, (ii) meditation, (iii) prayer. First the Divine is praised, then it is meditated upon in reverence, and finally an appeal is made to the Divine to awaken and strengthen the intellect, the discriminating faculty of man.

Well Gayatri Chanda has 24 syllables and its a metre in Sanskrit Grammar.
Gayatris are also found in Upanishads like Narayana Upanishad and I guess since Upanishads are like an extract of the Vedas so i feel other gayatris must have developed much later after Main Gayatri was "dis-covered".

Well technically I feel Gayatris can be customized as long u get the 24 syllables of Gayatri chanda and the grammar correct.
The most common error is writting Tanno for everything.
Tannah becomes Tanno only when its proceeded by a soft consonant other wise it remains Tannah.
For example Tannah Shanmukha Prachodayat and not Tanno Shanmukha Pracodayat.

Benefits of Gayatris..Gayantam Trayate iti Gayatri(That which protects the reciter).
What difference does it really make which deity is invoked after all arent all forms of Paramatma only?

Last edited:
Hard to say which Gayatri came 1st..most probably Vishwamitras "dis-covery" of the main gayatri becos The Gayatri is the universal prayer enshrined in the vedas, the most ancient scriptures of man. It is addressed to the Immanent and Transcendent Divine which has been given the name 'Savitha', meaning 'that from which all this is born'. The Gayatri may be considered as having three parts: (i) praise, (ii) meditation, (iii) prayer. First the Divine is praised, then it is meditated upon in reverence, and finally an appeal is made to the Divine to awaken and strengthen the intellect, the discriminating faculty of man.

Well Gayatri Chanda has 24 syllables and its a metre in Sanskrit Grammar.
Gayatris are also found in Upanishads like Narayana Upanishad and I guess since Upanishads are like an extract of the Vedas so i feel other gayatris must have developed much later after Main Gayatri was "dis-covered".

Well technically I feel Gayatris can be customized as long u get the 24 syllables of Gayatri chanda and the grammar correct.
The most common error is writting Tanno for everything.
Tannah becomes Tanno only when its proceeded by a soft consonant other wise it remains Tannah.
For example Tannah Shanmukha Prachodayat and not Tanno Shanmukha Pracodayat.

Benefits of Gayatris..Gayantam Trayate iti Gayatri(That which protects the reciter).
What difference does it really make which deity is invoked after all arent all forms of Paramatma only?

Smt Renuka Kartikeyan,

In my view there is one illogicality in the eulogization "gāyantam trāyate iti gāyatrī". gāyatrī,as you rightly say, is a poetical metre and if the above rule is true, any verse set to gāyatrī metre should protect the reciter. There are umpteen riks in this metre but none of them is considered on par with the so-called gāyatrī (because it is not set to the gāyatrī meter, strictly speaking.) Hence, while all the subsequent gāyatrīs in mahanarayanopanishad and later may protect the reciters by application of this law, the original gāyatrī-saavitri, nor its reciters, seem to be eligible for protection by this rule. A misplaced eulogy, according to me. That is the logical flaw.

Smt Renuka Kartikeyan,

In my view there is one illogicality in the eulogization "gāyantam trāyate iti gāyatrī". gāyatrī,as you rightly say, is a poetical metre and if the above rule is true, any verse set to gāyatrī metre should protect the reciter. There are umpteen riks in this metre but none of them is considered on par with the so-called gāyatrī (because it is not set to the gāyatrī meter, strictly speaking.) Hence, while all the subsequent gāyatrīs in mahanarayanopanishad and later may protect the reciters by application of this law, the original gāyatrī-saavitri, nor its reciters, seem to be eligible for protection by this rule. A misplaced eulogy, according to me. That is the logical flaw.

Agreed...On technical grounds you win your case but we must not forget Bhakthi Overules Vibhakti.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back