• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Fundamental value of culture and traditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

V.Balasubramani

Pranams. Brahmanism is the religion of the Vedic period and is known to be the historical predecessor of Hinduism with rich culture and traditions. The customs and traditions were value based and meanful. But during the course of time with the advent of western influence these customs and traditions slowly diluted and to some extent changed. Is there need to ressurect those cultures which were practised by our forefathers or to adopt to the present situation? Pros and cons welcomed.

With regards.
OM SHANTHI, SHANTHI, SHANTHI

Pranams. Brahmanism is the religion of the Vedic period and is known to be the historical predecessor of Hinduism with rich culture and traditions. The customs and traditions were value based and meanful. But during the course of time with the advent of western influence these customs and traditions slowly diluted and to some extent changed. Is there need to ressurect those cultures which were practised by our forefathers or to adopt to the present situation? Pros and cons welcomed.

With regards.
OM SHANTHI, SHANTHI, SHANTHI

Dear Sir,

As far as I know the terminology Hinduism or Brahminism did not exists.
What you wrote is a Wikipedia definition
The religion of the Vedic period (1500 BC to 500 BC[SUP][1][/SUP]) (also known as Vedism, Vedic Brahmanism, ancient Hinduism or, in a context of Indian antiquity, simply Brahmanism[SUP][2][/SUP]) is a historical predecessor of modern Hinduism
Hinduism and Brahminism is a western coined word for there is no Sanskrit word for both Hinduism and Brahminism.

All that existed before was termed DHARMA and each Varna followed their Svadharma.

And the cultural and religious practices adopted by Brahmanas would have been known as Brahmana Svadharma just like how other Varnas would have had their Kshatriya/Vaishya/Sudra Svadharma.

Last edited:
Mam, I agree. Call it as Svadharma or Sanathana dharma which was and is being practiced. In olden days, everyday life of a Brahmin is governed by performing nithya karmas which includes pujas and punaskarams. Performing Sandhyavanam, Abhivadanam, tarpanam, sraardham, etc etc as per the varna dharma. Though there are number of divisions in Brahmins, like Gothrams, Suutrahs, Saka, etc. practicing the triditions and rutuals were to the core. There was dedication and sreddhai. The grandfather and great grand fathers had time and will to ensure these traditions. The spirit of the posting is the change in the scenario. Things have changed a lot. These customs and traditions are practiced even now but IMHO not in the true spirit but name sake. Everybody is busy and running after time. Man has become slave of time. How many who perform Aksharabhyasam, Upanayanam, Sasti Abda Poorthi, etc knows the very purpose of it? Nowadays these events are celebrated like a get to gether giving opportuity for every one to exhibit their weath and growth. The sence of 'dharma' that is the justification is surely missing. Do we need to fall prey to the changing scennario? Is it possible nowdays to conduct marraiges for four five days as has been done by our forefathers elaborately Naandhi, Sumangali Prathanai, etc etc On the otherhand Vadhyars edit manthras according to the Sambhavanai. Homams are done for half an hour and for three four hours depending upon the samabhavanai. I remember the Sloka "Lead us from the Unreal to real, Lead us from the Darkness to light, Lead us from the death to immortal. OM SHANTHI, SHANTHI, SHANTHI

Mam, I agree. Call it as Svadharma or Sanathana dharma which was and is being practiced. In olden days, everyday life of a Brahmin is governed by performing nithya karmas which includes pujas and punaskarams. Performing Sandhyavanam, Abhivadanam, tarpanam, sraardham, etc etc as per the varna dharma. Though there are number of divisions in Brahmins, like Gothrams, Suutrahs, Saka, etc. practicing the triditions and rutuals were to the core. There was dedication and sreddhai. The grandfather and great grand fathers had time and will to ensure these traditions. The spirit of the posting is the change in the scenario. Things have changed a lot. These customs and traditions are practiced even now but IMHO not in the true spirit but name sake. Everybody is busy and running after time. Man has become slave of time. How many who perform Aksharabhyasam, Upanayanam, Sasti Abda Poorthi, etc knows the very purpose of it? Nowadays these events are celebrated like a get to gether giving opportuity for every one to exhibit their weath and growth. The sence of 'dharma' that is the justification is surely missing. Do we need to fall prey to the changing scennario? Is it possible nowdays to conduct marraiges for four five days as has been done by our forefathers elaborately Naandhi, Sumangali Prathanai, etc etc On the otherhand Vadhyars edit manthras according to the Sambhavanai. Homams are done for half an hour and for three four hours depending upon the samabhavanai. I remember the Sloka "Lead us from the Unreal to real, Lead us from the Darkness to light, Lead us from the death to immortal. OM SHANTHI, SHANTHI, SHANTHI

Shri Balasubramani,

You are right in saying that the scenario has changed from the times of our grandfather, great grandfather etc. And to day, people cannot afford to have that leisureliness which those old generation people had. When we analyze further, we will find that in those days the wants of a brAhmaNan (and, for that matter, of others too) were very limited as compared to today. A small house in a brahmin agraharam, usually 8 feet in width but going inwards like a "koupeenam" could happily house a large family consisting of a couple, the husband's parents (and also his widowed sister/s and their children) plus the offsprings of the couple themselves which usually was in the range of 5 to 10 or even more. The various vaideeki functions like jAthakarmam, nAmakaraNam, chowlam, upanayanam, marriage of both sons and daughters, seemantham, delivery and then the obsequies if any, could all be conducted/celebrated or performed, as the case may be, in that small abode itself. There was no cooking gas, no electricity, no electric light, no fan or A/c, no radio/TV, etc., etc.

Brahmins were generally not even of middle class status. Two sets of new Veshti & angavastram per year or two new 9 yards cotton puDavai (no blouse then for women) for the wife were considered fortunate living. Boys used to run around the whole village in just kowpeenams and even for a journey to some other place a fitting thOrthu (தோர்த்து - a small piece of plain white cotton towel sort of woven cloth usually used to dry the body after bath) would suffice; a "single veshti" was luxury itself. Girls also used to have pieces of the old cotton puDavais tied around their waist and a simple chaTTai came later on; after attaining puberty, girls used to wear Davani. Generally brahmin females did not own nor wear much of gold jewellery except the very rich households which were few.

Compare this scenario with any lower middle class brahmin household of today and the differences will become evident to you in a trice. I am not going to elaborate the differences that have come about, but it is a fact that much the most of all these changes have been consciously and voluntarily brought about by we brahmins ourselves because we could not be satisfied with the old life style which involved more or less permanent poverty, debts, subservience to the lenders and living in half-filled stomachs and perhaps utter penury also for some, perhaps.

We swerved from the stipulated brahministic ways of living and get attracted very much to government jobs, the salary, standing in society, etc., which came with such jobs and then subsequent generations branched off more and more away from the true brahmin life. On our way we brahmins compromised almost all religious aspects of life in order to conform more and more with the materialistic ways of life and the added attractions which that sort of life offered. The old brahmin lifestyle is now completely spilt milk and there is no use crying over that spilt milk.

What we may possibly do is to consciously curb our materialistic tendencies as much as circumstances allow us to do. For a beginning we can try the following:

1. Do not buy processed or ready-packed food from shops, outlets, etc.
2. Try not to make our young children not addicted to processed snacks like potato chips and like items.
3. Try to eat only home-made food and avoid hotel food, railway catering (airlines today charge exorbitantly for food, I am told and so even the somewhat fashionable people have started carrying their food on air travel - but not during train journeys!)
4. Limit your requirements of new clothes, powder, perfumes, ornaments, beauty aids etc.
5. Avoid beauty parlours; if possible beautify oneself at home with the help of siblings.
6. Do not see serials, cinemas etc., on TV or in the theaters. For spending time listen to good music, if you have an ear for it or read books; those who have religious inclination may attend pravachanams, bhajans, satsngs, temple utsavams etc.
7. Let only one member - husband or the wife - earn in every household and let the non-earning spouse take care of the house and the proper bringing up of the children.
8. Try to put sons in vedapathasalas at least for a minimum number of years so that they get familiar with the various facets of a truly brahminic way of life.
9. Prohibit addictive items like alcoholic drinks, smoking, drugs etc., in our children; insist on their being strict vegetarians eschewing even eggs.

I feel the above will be a "nava" dharma charter for brahminism to revive; but any takers? ;)

Shri Balasubramani,

What we may possibly do is to consciously curb our materialistic tendencies as much as circumstances allow us to do. For a beginning we can try the following:

1. Do not buy processed or ready-packed food from shops, outlets, etc.
2. Try not to make our young children not addicted to processed snacks like potato chips and like items.
3. Try to eat only home-made food and avoid hotel food, railway catering (airlines today charge exorbitantly for food, I am told and so even the somewhat fashionable people have started carrying their food on air travel - but not during train journeys!)
4. Limit your requirements of new clothes, powder, perfumes, ornaments, beauty aids etc.
5. Avoid beauty parlours; if possible beautify oneself at home with the help of siblings.
6. Do not see serials, cinemas etc., on TV or in the theaters. For spending time listen to good music, if you have an ear for it or read books; those who have religious inclination may attend pravachanams, bhajans, satsngs, temple utsavams etc.
7. Let only one member - husband or the wife - earn in every household and let the non-earning spouse take care of the house and the proper bringing up of the children.
8. Try to put sons in vedapathasalas at least for a minimum number of years so that they get familiar with the various facets of a truly brahminic way of life.
9. Prohibit addictive items like alcoholic drinks, smoking, drugs etc., in our children; insist on their being strict vegetarians eschewing even eggs.

I feel the above will be a "nava" dharma charter for brahminism to revive; but any takers? ;)

Most probably NO TAKERS!!! ;) Especially what is been suggested under Sequence No.6, 7 & 8.

Our life is influenced by 90% of the prevailing life style in the society and the challenges that it posses.

Sir, Pranams. First thanx for the reply. You have analysed the crux of the issue in detail. I have a habit of appreciating things which touch my mind and some that touch my heart. On perusal of second para, my memory went back to young days, though I was not brought up in an Agraharam. Some of the sentences 'consciously and voluntarily brought about by we brahmins' is true and the last paragraph is crown. The language and style is fine. This is not 'Mugasthuthi. I joined this Forum to quench my thirst on Religion and spirituality. Speeking through my heart, I find the postings of veterans and seniors are excellent to the core. The texts are highly rich in meaning and style is superb. I started learning and pat my back for chosen a right forum at this age of sixty!

The 'Nava' dharma is more practcal. I fall in line with you when you say avoid TV(Idiot Box)

At this instance I wanted to add my suyapuranam, in otherwords I am shaing my experience. Suddenly on retirement I developed taste on Religion/spiritualy. Probably this confirms the adage 'Kan kettapiragu Suryanamaskaram'. With keen interest on learning Vedhas 'Rudhrum, Srisuktham, purushasuktham' etc. I joined vedha class privately where my class mates are between the age group of 7-12. Think my sitting in the company of young boys and learning vedhams. I was the very senior student by age and junior by knowledge on religion. The fact remains that when age grows energy diminishes. I was unable to by heart these Vedhams to the expectation of my Guru. Guru was keen on covering the syllabus. Besides, the costume for this class was also not my cup of tea, like Panchakatcham, etc. I attended the class for a year and unfortuely, I am unable to continue further for obvious reasons.

How do some of the orthdox brahmins stick to these practices still? Hats off to them.

Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back