• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Foreign Universities setting up shop in India

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunjuppu

folks,

here is an article in time magazine

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1913653,00.html

perhaps you are familiar with this topic ie the union government is thinking of permitting renowned foreign universities to set up shop in india and issue degrees

they have touched the topic of reservation in this article, but not with the complexity that we are familiar.

other than that, my query to the public is:

- how will this be received by status conscious indians. has the desi harvard degree the same mavusu as the phoren amreekan one?

- the fee difference (atleast per this article) is only about 15% which for those affording to send their kids abroad is not sufficient enough to tip the scale in favour of the homegrown hybrid

- which leads me to wonder: why only 15% tuition differential? our professors are still paid only a fraction of the amreekan or european ones. is it fat profit for the promoters?

- this does not still alter the fact that our schools systems are faulty with poor infrastructure and poorly paid insufficiently trained teachers

- will this really reduce the number of indian students who seek to go abroad to study. per this article, most of them go with a view to settling down in the country of study.

thank you.

Donno much, to add here.. But one thing for sure, it reminds me of the book,The world is Flat, by , Thomas L Friedman.

And the interesting thing which made me to chuckle is, reading this post with a nasal accent ...."phoren amreekan one?..

Dear Sir,

I would like you to look into the model of Dubai Knowledge Village where various foreign universities have campuses. British Universities, Australian Universities and Indian top ranking institutions like BITS & SP JAIN Management Institute have moved to Dubai knowledge village. London Business School is also present in the campus.

Most of the students take up courses only at PG level. Salary levels in Gulf countries are at much higher level compared to India and are totally tax free. Except Saudi Arabia all other Gulf Countries (UAE,Oman, Qatar, Bahrain & Kuwait) have become highly liberal and cosmopolitan where people can follow their faith and are even constructing worship places. Visa problems are much less complicated as compared to Western world. There is no racial discrimination.

Students are migrating to Singapore to pursue even undergraduate studies at National University of Singapore. The courses are self financing but one has to work for atleast two years in Singapore to avail the benefits. But the education is really world class and the place is one of the safest in the world where ladies can walk freely even in midnight without any fear. More than 50 students from Chennai alone are going every year to NUS. Selection is purely on merit.

Both Singapore and Dubai are the options available to student community right now where cost of living is much cheaper than western world, culturally as well geographycally one can be much closer to the mother land and saving potential is also very good. I request to think of this options for prospective students and their parents

venkat,

thanks for the informative post particularly re nus singapore.

i have always been aware that nus is highly competitive. my own relatives in singapore have been able to get only to nanyang or go abroad. no nus for them.

re 50 students from chennai every year to nus: i guess this is a special program to attract students from india? i am aware that singapore airlines has such a program - education free, but work for sia for 5 years.

i am not aware of dubai.

i think the attraction towards the west, is the possibility of settling down there and a 'wished for' lifestyle.

i know many people here in canada, who have amassed wealth in dubai, and come over when the children's university education needs had to be met. also, many of them had reluctance to live back in india.

i don't know how foreign universities will be received in india - by indians themselves. also whether these have plans of attracting students from other parts of asia.

no matter what, this is an interesting development.

thank you.

Dear Mr.Kunjuppu,

NUS singapore admits nearly 100 students from India every passing out plus two exams. Mostly CBSE students scoring approximately 470 out of 500 are admitted. The undergraduate program is for 5 years including one year compulsory on the job training. After finishing five years, students have to work compulsorily for another two years for discharging the obligations relating to tuition fee waiver and accommodation. Bright students belonging to TB prefer this as compared IIT, NIT and Medical.

Singapore has a campus of Insead, France - a global ranking management institute - offering one year MBA. The two year compulsory work experience after undergraduation at singapore gives the students required work experience to pursue one year MBA at Insead.

Students who wants to pursue MBA ultimately take up undergraduate course at NUS and it is really a win win situation for them. Instead of fighting for IIT entrance exam, Chennai students have started concentrating on plus two school final examination and straight away attempt for NUS.

Admissions to NUS is purely on merit and I am sure all of you would have got the message. Out of 100 students from India roughly 50 are from Chennai

Last edited:
folks,

here is an article in time magazine

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1913653,00.html

perhaps you are familiar with this topic ie the union government is thinking of permitting renowned foreign universities to set up shop in india and issue degrees

they have touched the topic of reservation in this article, but not with the complexity that we are familiar.

other than that, my query to the public is:

- how will this be received by status conscious indians. has the desi harvard degree the same mavusu as the phoren amreekan one?

- the fee difference (atleast per this article) is only about 15% which for those affording to send their kids abroad is not sufficient enough to tip the scale in favour of the homegrown hybrid

- which leads me to wonder: why only 15% tuition differential? our professors are still paid only a fraction of the amreekan or european ones. is it fat profit for the promoters?

- this does not still alter the fact that our schools systems are faulty with poor infrastructure and poorly paid insufficiently trained teachers

- will this really reduce the number of indian students who seek to go abroad to study. per this article, most of them go with a view to settling down in the country of study.

thank you.
Hey that is good news to me
AS an academic I have been in full time reseach for the past 15 years
and had never got the opportunity to teach
perhaps they may recruit us to teach

In the same article it is stated that London School of Economics offers under graduate degree at one fifth of the cost. That is really attractive purely from cost angle. However the purpose of taking up foreign education is to get employment outside India and get salaries in foreign currency. After undergraduation even if one get 25000 Rs in India, it cannot be compared with say 5000 $ in USA. Assuming the cost of living in US is very high, even if you save 1000 $, it is equivalent to 50,000 Rs approx. It means saving is double that of Indian Salary.

As I said earlier, education in Singapore (Nus, NTU etc) are much cheaper compared to Western world where as salary levels at Singapore are comparable to western world. Per capita income of Singapore is much higher than USA.

Dubai is another attractive destination where most of the foreign universities have set up shop in Dubai Knowledge Village (Free Trade Zone). Cost of education is not very much but one can get tax free salary after graduation which are much better than in India.

India has to promote education in free trade zones (Special Economic Zones) where none of the Indian laws are applicable except probably labour laws. Part of the education has to be in abroad so that subsequent employment can be abroad. It is the only way to create win win situation for students as well as foreign universities.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back