• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

For howmany days one should not visit temple if any of his relatives expire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have just joined this forum though have been googling on the material this site offers which is of immense use. Thanks to each one of you.

I reside in Chennai currently.

I would request for a clarification on the following: My father's chittapa (my grandfather's cousin) recently expired (about a month back). I am told that for next one year I should not go to any new temples, hill temples like Tirupathi, etc as we are "dayadhi" side persons.

Does this rule applies to all of the relatives or only the sons of the deceased? there is also another view that we should not visit temples till "subakariyam" is over. Another view is that we should not visit new temples for 45 days.

If someone can throw light on this, would be very much thankful.

regards
Sriram

I had this doubt when my father passed away a few years back. I did some research and found this from knowledgeable elders:

If the sapindikaranam is over (in some cases this is done only along with the Varshaaptheekam, I am told) then the next day onwards one can go to temples. The reason given to me, when I became more inquisitive, was that the kartha and Daayaathis, before the sapindi, in all the rituals recite mantras which include the sabdham "preta" and during such periods one should not go inside the temple. After the sapindikaranam(meaning of the word itself is integration/joining together) the soul is believed to have joined the other pithrus and is called a pithru and not a "preta". As it appears to be logical I have given it here. If there are other reasons I would like to know.

Cheers.

Dear Mr.Raju,
Thanks for your detailed reply. The case i had cited is different from yours that in yours, it is your father who had expired. In scenario i had cited, it is my father's chittapa (a son of my grandfather's cousin brother) who had expired. Hence would the concept of Kartha still hold good and we need to wait till Varshaaptheekam? Trust I am understood.

Looking forward to hear from you other members. thanks.

regards
Sriram

Hi,
I have just joined this forum though have been googling on the material this site offers which is of immense use. Thanks to each one of you.

I reside in Chennai currently.

I would request for a clarification on the following: My father's chittapa (my grandfather's cousin) recently expired (about a month back). I am told that for next one year I should not go to any new temples, hill temples like Tirupathi, etc as we are "dayadhi" side persons.

Does this rule applies to all of the relatives or only the sons of the deceased? there is also another view that we should not visit temples till "subakariyam" is over. Another view is that we should not visit new temples for 45 days.

If someone can throw light on this, would be very much thankful.

regards
Sriram

For a person who wants to follow sastram very meticulously, grandfather's (paternal) cousin and own father and all the paternal relations for seven generations will rank equally. So, what Shri raju says will definitely hold good.

But if you are not of such meticulous type and do not mind any possible curse from your pitrus (pitru saapam) to yourself or any of your male lineage for the next 7 generations, it will be okay if you start going to temple/s right from the 13th. day after demise (grahayajnam day).

The choice depends on your strength of mind (weakness to beliefs).

Our sastras indicate that the observance of pollution for the deceased will similarly satisfy the deceased's jee va n and will enable it to get a good status in the astral plane.

Our belief's on the ''unclean'' and ''clean''states are based on the functioning of various microscopic organisams not visible to our eyes. This is akin tom the aroma of a flower spreading to the surroundings even though one cannot see the aroma thru eyes.

Like wise , all living beings transmit their aura to their surroundings and this is confirmed by photography. and by our Ayurvedha system of medicine. The unclean state devolving on one person also get spread to others due to body contact, breath, eating together, sleeping together and similar reasons.

One must also remember that our 'maharishis' are realised beings , who have transcended the physical , will only say what is beneficial to humans.

After the death of parents one should not do subha karyam for one year. after the death of wife for three months, After the death of brother for 45 days after the death of dhayaathi for one month one should not do subha karyam. If there is no other way you can do pooja to ganapathy and after doing anna dhaanam you can do subha kaaryam.

On those days brahmins must do only the sastrigals job and they were lived in joint families and/or in nearby places ..They cannot go to distant places as we are going now. Now a days we each are living in distant places and are having contact s only once in a year or more and that too for only one or two hours maximum. But this was not the practice in olden days.

So in my opinion one month is enough for this dhaayaathis death.After one month you can go to any temple any functions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back