• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Food For The Mind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Affected/influenced by the Thought-Pollution being pumped into the society through Media, many Youth/Children are suffering with one or other mental problems these days. In the Modern Era, where Evil is increasing and Good/righteousness is suffering; Really sad to see, so many cases of depresson(Extreme Sadness/Lack of Hope), neurosis, A.D.H.D, Bulimia/Anorexia Nervosa, Puppy Love, Suicides, Sexual abuse on minor girls/boys, wicked/sadist temperament(deriving pleasure out of others suffering), harassing women in the name of Love, Acid attacks on women, bullying in schools, delinquent behaviour of youth - - -. Radiating Good/Strengthening/Powerful/Pure thoughts in all directions is the best way to counter Evil. Exposing ourselves to Super-Powerful literature helps us in increasing the Strength of Mind.

Swami Vivekananda says, “This is the first lesson to learn; be determined not curse anything outside, not to lay blame upon any one outside, but be a man, stand up, lay the blame on yourself. You will find that it is always true. Get hold of yourself."

"Stand up, be bold and take the blame on your own shoulders. Do not go about throwing mud at others; for all the faults you suffer from, you are the sole and only cause.

Therefore, blame none for your own faults, stand upon your own feet, and take the whole responsibility upon yourselves. Say, “This misery that I am suffering is of my own doing, and that very thing proves that it will have to be undone by me alone.” That which I created, I can demolish; that which is created by some one else I shall never be able to destroy. Therefore, stand up, be bold, be strong. Take the whole responsibility on your won shoulders, and know that you are the creator of your own destiny. All the strength and succour you want is within yourselves. Therefore, make your own future."

“Let the dead past bury its dead.” The infinite future is before you, and you must always remember that each word, thought, and deed, lays up a store for you and that as the bad thoughts and bad works are ready to spring upon you like tigers, so also there is the inspring hope that the good thoughts and good deeds are ready with the power of a hundred thousand angels to defend you always and for ever.

“If you want peace of Mind, do not find faults with others.”– Holy Mother Sharada Devi

"He who does not hate when the light (of knowledge), activity and delusion arise, O son of Pandu, nor desires them when they cease; He who rests like one indifferent and is not disturbed by the Gunas, who, realizing that the Gunas alone function, is steady and does not waver; Alike in pleasure and pain, Self-abiding, regarding a clod of earth, a stone and gold as of equal worth, the same towards agreeable and disagreeable objects, calm, and the same to praise and blame bestowed on him; The same in honour and dishonour, the same towards friend and foe, habituated to renounce all actions – such a person is said to have transcended the Gunas."​
- Bhagawad Gita

Sarve bhavantu sukhinah
Sarve santu niraamayaah
Sarve bhadraani pashyantu
Maakaschit duhkha bhaag bhavet

May all be happy! (sukhinah)
May all be free from disabilities! (niraamayaah)
May all look (pashyantu) to the good of others!
May none suffer from sorrow! (duhkha)

Last edited:
Come Up O Lions - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Roars Vivekananda

Let these thunderbolts-like words of Swami Vivekananda enter your mind and see the change; they will certainly revolutionize the mind by recharging your spiritual battery. Swamiji’s literature helps one to develop tremendous energy by tapping hidden potential within oneself. It not only develops 'Can do' attitude but also serves as a powerful antidote for all our negative thoughts, emotions, inferiority complexes, insecurity and phobias.

Come up O Lions! Shake off the delusion that you are sheep
You are spirits free, blest and eternal;
You are not the body; you are not the matter
Matter is your servant, not you the servant of matter

What is Real Education?

Education is the manifestation of the perfection which is already in Man
We want that Education by which Character is formed;
Strength of Mind is increased, Intellect is expanded
and by which one can stand on One’s own feet

Teach yourselves, teach everyone his real nature
Call upon the sleeping soul and see how it awakes
Power will come, glory will come, goodness will come
Purity will come and everything that is Excellent will come
When sleeping soul is raised to self conscious activity

Each soul is potentially divine; the goal is to manifest the divinity within
Do this by controlling nature external and internal, by means of work, or worship,
Or psychic control, or philosophy; by one or more or all of these and become free.
This is the whole of religion. Doctrines, dogmas, rituals, books, temples, forms,
Are but, secondary details.

Be not afraid of anything; you will do marvelous work
The moment you fear you are nobody;
It is fear that is the great cause of misery in the world.
It is fear that is greatest of all superstitions.
It is fear that is the cause of all our woes and it’s fearlessness that brings heaven even in a moment. Therefore,

‘Arise, Awake, and Stop not till the Goal is reached’.

- Swami Vivekananda

i am somewhat upset, distracted and pained to see this in today's new york times.

A Failure to Feed - Photographs - NYTimes.com

i found slides #5, #11 particularly disturbing and wish to see the perpetuators of these crimes hung if possible. this is 21st century and i guess why we call these bimaru!

i fervently hope such things do not happen in tamil nadu.

for those here, who think the true north is where all salvations lie, i request you to ponder on this and the article below.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/09/world/asia/09food.html?_r=1&hp

let us discuss some food to feed the stomach before thinking of thoughts....

'Six Causes for Misery' by Roman Philosopher - Cicero

- English Translation of the article featured in Ramakrishna Prabha, Telugu Monthly Magazine

These are the words of wisdom from Roman Philosopher Cicero, who lived some 2000 years back.

Living in a delusion that it is only by subduing others one can be prosperous.

Worrying about things, which cannot be changed or improved.

No proper understanding of one’s own Strengths and Abilities (Lack of Self-Awareness).

Not able to stop paying attention to insignificant matters.

Not making any efforts to develop Mental Maturity.

Thinking that our own beliefs and way of living is only true, and wishing others to follow us.

Thanks
One more soul in God's Creation

Sri Kunjuppuji,

I share the same feelings with you. Even Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa/Swami Vivekananda preached that it is a sin to teach spirituality for empty stomach. That is the reason Ramakrishna Math here in Hyderabad, is in fore-front in providing food to the poor, offering free medical treatment facilities, taking up many charity activities based on donations received by it, also taking part in many rehabilitation operations.

Ancient Scriptures say,

Matru Devo Bhava

Mother is an Embodiment of God; hence serve mother.

Pitru Devo Bhava

Father is an Embodiment of God; hence serve father.

Acharya Devo Bhava

Guru(Teacher) is an Embodiment of God; hence serve teacher.

Athidhi Devo Bhava

Guest is an Embodiment of God; hence serve guest.

Swami Vivekananda says,

Murkha Devo Bhava

Ignorant is an Embodiment of God; hence serve the ignorant by giving knowledge.

Rogi Devo Bhava

Diseased is an Embodiment of God; hence serve the diseased.

Daridra Devo Bhava

The poor, The destitute are forms of God; hence serve the poor and needy.

Ironically, GOI has allocated 1 lakh crores only on Social Welfare schemes but in reality not even 1/10 is reaching the real beneficiary. Today, we have head but lost our heart. We give lectures hours together/write essays pages together but least bothered to put atleast one ounce of it to practise. Hence, there is every need to radiate Good/Strengthening/Powerful/Pure thoughts in all directions to melt those stone-hearted persons who are swallowing the money allocated for the poor/needy and also to those selfish animals not willing to share even a single rupee to the society.

"One ounce of practice is worth twenty thousand tons of big talk." - Swami Vivekananda

With respect and regards,
Student of V.I.H.E

i am somewhat upset, distracted and pained to see this in today's new york times.

A Failure to Feed - Photographs - NYTimes.com

i found slides #5, #11 particularly disturbing and wish to see the perpetuators of these crimes hung if possible. this is 21st century and i guess why we call these bimaru!

i fervently hope such things do not happen in tamil nadu.

for those here, who think the true north is where all salvations lie, i request you to ponder on this and the article below.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/09/world/asia/09food.html?_r=1&hp

let us discuss some food to feed the stomach before thinking of thoughts....

I am a Voice without a Form . . . . . . . . thoughts of Swami Vivekananda - 1

BALANCED MIND DOES MORE WORK

In various Upanishads we find that this Vedanta philosophy is not the outcome of meditation in the forests only, but that the very best parts of it were thought out and expressed by brains which were busiest in the everyday affairs of life. We cannot conceive any man busier than an absolute monarch, a man who is ruling over millions of people, and yet, some of these rulers were deep thinkers.

Everything goes to show that this philosophy must be very practical; and later on, when we come to the Bhagawat-Gita – most of you, perhaps, have read it, it is best commentary we have on the Vedanta philosophy – curiously enough the scene is laid on the battlefield, where Krishna teaches this philosophy to Arjuna; and the doctrine which stands out luminously in every page of the Gita is intense activity, but in the midst of it, eternal calmness. This is the Secret of work, to attain which is the goal of the Vedanta. Inactivity, as we understand it in the sense of passivity, certainly cannot be the goal. Were it so, then the walls around us would be the most intelligent; they are inactive. Clods of earth, stumps of trees, would be the greatest sages in the world; they are inactive. Nor does inactivity become activity when it is combined with passion. Real activity, which is the goal of Vedanta, is combined with eternal calmness, the calmness which cannot be ruffled, the balance of mind which is never disturbed, whatever happens. And we all know from our experience in life that that is the best attitude for work.

I have been asked many times how we can work if we do not have the passion which we generally feel for work. I also thought in that way years ago, but as I am growing older, getting more experience, I find it is not true. The less passion there is, the better we work. The calmer we are, the better for us, and the more the amount of work we can do. When we let loose our feelings, we waste so much energy, shatter our nerves, disturb our minds, and accomplish very little work. The energy which ought to have gone out as work is spent as mere feeling, which counts for nothing. It is only when the mind is very calm and collected that the whole energy is spent in doing good work. And if you read the lives of great workers which the world has produced, you will find that they were wonderfully calm men. Nothing, as it were, could throw them off their balance. That is why the man who becomes angry never does a great amount of work, and the man whom nothing can make angry accomplishes so much. The man who gives way to anger, or hatred, or any other passion, cannot work; he only breaks himself to pieces, and does nothing practical. It is the calm, forgiving, equable, well-balanced mind that does the greatest amount of work.

All these things which we call causes of misery and evil, we shall laugh at when we arrive at that wonderful state of equality, that sameness. This is what is called in Vedanta attaining to freedom. The sign of approaching that freedom is more and more of this sameness and equality. In misery and happiness the same, in success and defeat the same – such a mind is nearing that state of freedom.
- Swami Vivekananda

amazing facts

1)Thomas Edison was afraid of the dark.

2)The youngest pope was 11 years old.

3)A Saudi Arabian woman can get a divorce if her husband doesn't give her coffee.

4)Henry Ford once attempted to buy the Eiffel Tower and ship it back to the United States.

5)During your lifetime, you'll eat about 60,000 pounds of food, that's the weight of 6 elephants!

6)More people use blue toothbrushes than red ones!

7)A sneeze travels out of your mouth at over a hundred m.p.h.!

8)Your ribs move about 5 million times a year, every time you breath!!!

9)One quarter of the bones in your body are in your feet!

10)Charles Osborn had the hiccups for 65 years!

11)Only one person in 2 billion will live to be 116 or older!

12)Women blink nearly twice as much as men!

13)Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing!!!!!!!!!

14)Americans on average eat 18 acres of pizza every day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15)On average, 100 people choke to death on ballpoint pins each year!

16)Mosquitoes have teeth*

*a goldfish has a memory span of about 3 seconds.*

*A star fish has no heart*

*Dolphins sleep with one eye open*

*Alligators can't move backwards*

*Penguins can jump 6 feet into the air*

*Honeybees have a kind of hair on their eyes*

*Starfish is one of the few animals who can turn their stomach inside out*

*The elephant is one of the few animals that can't jump*

*Bats always turn left when exiting a cave*

*The praying mantis is the only insect that can turn it's head*

*On average, people fear spiders more than they do death*

17)Of all the words in the English language, the word 'set' has the most definitions!

18)What is called a "French kiss" in the English speaking world is known as an "English kiss" in France.

19)"Almost" is the longest word in the English language with all the letters in alphabetical order.

20)"Rhythm" is the longest English word without a vowel.

21)In 1386, a pig in France was executed by public hanging for the murder of a child

22)A cockroach can live several weeks with its head cut off!

23)Human thigh bones are stronger than concrete.

24)You can't kill yourself by holding your breath

25)There is a city called Rome on every continent.

26)It's against the law to have a pet dog in Iceland!

27)Your heart beats over 100,000 times a day!

28)Right handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people

courtesy: nityakalyan group
N.S.Parasuraman

--- On Sun, 12/9/10, Meera Neelakantan <[email protected]> wrote:

Subject: [Iyer123] GEMS OF WISDOM
To: "Meera Neelakantan" <[email protected]>
Date: Sunday, 12 September, 2010, 2:59 PM

Ve
ry inspirational, just like ten commandments to follow in the life all the time - GEMS of Wisdom!

1] Prayer is not a "spare wheel" that you pull out when in trouble, but it is a "steering wheel" that directs the right path throughout

2] Do you know why a cars' WINDSHIELD is so large & the Rear-view Mirror is so small? Because our PAST is not as important as our FUTURE. Look Ahead and Move on!

3] Friendship is like a BOOK. It takes few seconds to burn, but it takes years to write one!

4] All things in life are temporary. If going well, enjoy it, they will not last forever. If going wrong, don't worry, they can't last long either.

5] Old Friends are Gold! New Friends are Diamond! If you get a Diamond, don't forget the Gold! Because to hold a Diamond, you always need a Base of Gold!

6] Often when we lose hope and think this is the end, GOD smiles from above and says, "Relax, sweetheart, it's just a bend, not the end!

7] When GOD solves your problems, you have faith in HIS abilities; when GOD doesn't solve your problems HE has faith in your abilities.

8] A blind person asked Swami Vivekanand: "Can there be anything worse than losing eye sight?" He replied: "Yes, losing your vision!"

9] When you pray for others, God listens to you and blesses them, and sometimes, when you are safe and happy, remember that someone has prayed for you.

10] WORRYING does not take away tomorrow’s TROUBLES, it takes away today’s PEACE!

Please share with others..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back