• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Festivals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear all :

India is a country of festivals. We are celebrating festivals every month. Even commercial establishments and Govt. Offices are declaring holidays for festivals. Every festivals are having its own story and importance but still I have a doubt why we have to celebrate many festivals as we are having hectic schedule on daily basis. In developed countries like US and UK they are celebrating few festivals during the year and no specific festival holidays are being declared. Apart from this in India we have PL, CL and SL. In total out of 365 days we are virtually working hard 140 days or so in a year. Can any one explain the necessity of celebrating so many festivals and is it essential for us even though we are not adopting proper customary principles as per our Dharma.

Regards,

VKSWAMY

Dear all :

India is a country of festivals. We are celebrating festivals every month. Even commercial establishments and Govt. Offices are declaring holidays for festivals. Every festivals are having its own story and importance but still I have a doubt why we have to celebrate many festivals as we are having hectic schedule on daily basis. In developed countries like US and UK they are celebrating few festivals during the year and no specific festival holidays are being declared. Apart from this in India we have PL, CL and SL. In total out of 365 days we are virtually working hard 140 days or so in a year. Can any one explain the necessity of celebrating so many festivals and is it essential for us even though we are not adopting proper customary principles as per our Dharma.

Regards,

VKSWAMY
dear sri vkswamy,
I totally endorse your views. i dont think anywhere in the world so many holidays in a year are entiltled to leaving the working days to be less than 50% of total no of days in a given year. I still don't understand how far is justified our prevalent fact that every alternate day [to tell roughly] is a function / festival and whether they warrant holidays which clubbed to the other Govt holidays restricts the working days to bearest minimum. From this we have to deduct the leave previleges which tells upon the effective working days in an year. I think the resultant average man hours figure will be apologetic. Probably that is why we are still under the domain of "developing" country and never able to go up to "developed" country though 60+ years have elapsed after we got independance.

Last edited:
Dear Mr. Sundaram :

Thank you very much for your reply and accepting the reality which are happending in our day to day life. Just for nothing and without knowing the real purpose and significance we are wasting our time. When our will develop.

Regards,
VKSWAMY

Dear VKS and DRS

Festivals are not only for enjoyment. Its like that only in western countries. There they will celebrate Father's day, mother's day, sister's day... They will have 365 days like this itself. At that day only they will atleast find time to spend or greet those relation. Here its not the scenario. Each and every our function is bind with our custom. It is not the sake just becoz of the leaves the productivity is decreased. Productivity depends on so many things. PL, CL, SL are there in all countries. Only the holiday celebrations are much here. This apparently shows our richness in heritage and culture. It unites people of various places and brings all together. We are not in western countries to live much independent that we dont know who is the person residing in upstairs of our home. But here also this kind of habit is developing among people. Celebratig fucntions actually make people to get rid of these problems. Also they pave way for mental relaxation.

Hope am right in my justification...

Pranams

Dear Durgadasan :

I agree what you have mentioned. Our festivals will bring all our relatives and friends together and make us happy. In other way you are also mentioning that we are also now a days adopting wester culture habits. You have also mentioned our productivity will decrease depend on somany issues. Celebrating holidays shows our richness, you said. Everything is fine. Do you think it is proper to celebrate festivals by decreasing our productivity which will directly reflect on our Economy. When we are adopting everything from Western Countries including our comforts why we should not adopt this habit and increase our productivity. Improving our productivity will improve our financial status. Why we should not learn to live independently from Western Countries. If we want to protect our customs and culture our youngsters should not migrate to Western Countries. Your views will be okay as far as theoritical concern but practical purpose will not work out. Neither we are adopting our own traditional culture and style of living nor adopting western culture completely. Think over and read my earlier postings also and decide what we are doing is correct or not. Pls. reply. As per me we are working in an year only one third of the year for our own case. Rest of the days we are wasting our time just for nothing.

Dear mr vks,
india is a land of diversity, even the government has to keep in mind the sentiment of all who live here, we celebrate even new year on different months and different days, our languages are different and colorful, nowadays even the mnc are allowing people holidays with their own festivals that is not all get leave like the father day or mother day,..

if one is celebrating ughadi the telugu and kannada new year they take off and the rest work, on tamil new year some take leave whereas others work, other than these, we have days for our leaders too, gandhiji, dr.ambedhkar and so on, but only schools get holidays, and in india we never get a long holiday like the west that is during christmas and new year, all have to attend office but here in india now they are enjoying that privilege too with many working for american companies and uk companies, who can afford to take leave and take a break other wise the breaking jobs of mnc is very taxing,

we by taking over many abroad jobs have lost family life due to the timings and over load where the americans never bothered to work so hard, they were very particular about family and went on holidays during weekend, here we only see them sleep it off all the time....its my opinion here ..sunkan

Respected sir

Increasing the productivity and thereby the economy is all well and good. That we can do even if we work hard in the stipulated timeframe itself. Its a habit of human mind to find fault in some other things, when the fault is on his ownself. If productivity should be enhanced, extrawork can be put in, new innovations can be encouraged, so many are there. Will you assure me that everyone are working properly in their working time? That itself is enough na... Also our culture is much mingled with family bonding. Here we are totally attached to that. We are not like westerns, just to go for a date and leave for work, forget everything and all. Here the wife expects a lot more from her husband. Its more than a mere outing. Everything is happening because of these festivals. So, I think these are very much essential.

Also as Sunkan said, they will take a long leave for one month at a stretch and here we are taking that in parts and bits. Thats all.

Pranams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back