• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Feel good about who you are

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually arrogance is a mask for a lack of confidence. People who lack confidence may display arrogance as a way of compensating for the way they feel. Don't confuse confidence with arrogance. Arrogance is being full of yourself, feeling you're always right, and believing your accomplishments or abilities make you better than other people. People often believe arrogance is excessive confidence, but it's really a lack of confidence. Arrogant people are insecure, and often repel others. Truly confident people feel good about themselves and attract others to them.
CHRISTIE HARTMAN, It's Not Him, It's You

Arrogant people are non-learners. They invest their energies in maintaining a cozy feeling of complacency, and complacency is the biggest single enemy to the process of continuously learning from experience. Arrogant people are exactly the sort of people who are destined to have one year's experience 20 times rather than 20 years' worth of experience.
PETER HONEY, Problem People: And How to Deal with Them

You see, in life, lots of people know what to do, but few people actually do what they know. Knowing is not enough! You must take action." ~
Anthony Robbins

You see, in life, lots of people know what to do, but few people actually do what they know. Knowing is not enough! You must take action." ~
Anthony Robbins

"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." ~ Norman Cousins

A moving story
Marriage – very touching!
by Stephen
in Inspirational Stories, Marriage
When I got home that night as my wife served dinner, I held her hand and said, I’ve got something to tell you. She sat down and ate quietly. Again I observed the hurt in her eyes.
Suddenly I didn’t know how to open my mouth. But I had to let her know what I was thinking. I want a divorce. I raised the topic calmly.
She didn’t seem to be annoyed by my words, instead she asked me softly, why?
I avoided her question. This made her angry. She threw away the chopsticks and shouted at me, you are not a man! That night, we didn’t talk to each other. She was weeping. I knew she wanted to find out what had happened to our marriage. But I could hardly give her a satisfactory answer; she had lost my heart to Jane. I didn’t love her anymore. I just pitied her!
With a deep sense of guilt, I drafted a divorce agreement which stated that she could own our house, our car, and 30% stake of my company.
She glanced at it and then tore it into pieces. The woman who had spent ten years of her life with me had become a stranger. I felt sorry for her wasted time, resources and energy but I could not take back what I had said for I loved Jane so dearly. Finally she cried loudly in front of me, which was what I had expected to see. To me her cry was actually a kind of release. The idea of divorce which had obsessed me for several weeks seemed to be firmer and clearer now.
The next day, I came back home very late and found her writing something at the table. I didn’t have supper but went straight to sleep and fell asleep very fast because I was tired after an eventful day with Jane.
When I woke up, she was still there at the table writing. I just did not care so I turned over and was asleep again.
In the morning she presented her divorce conditions: she didn’t want anything from me, but needed a month’s notice before the divorce. She requested that in that one month we both struggle to live as normal a life as possible. Her reasons were simple: our son had his exams in a month’s time and she didn’t want to disrupt him with our broken marriage.
This was agreeable to me. But she had something more, she asked me to recall how I had carried her into out bridal room on our wedding day.
She requested that every day for the month’s duration I carry her out of our bedroom to the front door every morning. I thought she was going crazy. Just to make our last days together bearable I accepted her odd request.
I told Jane about my wife’s divorce conditions. She laughed loudly and thought it was absurd. No matter what tricks she applies, she has to face the divorce, she said scornfully.
My wife and I hadn’t had any body contact since my divorce intention was explicitly expressed. So when I carried her out on the first day, we both appeared clumsy. Our son clapped behind us, daddy is holding mommy in his arms. His words brought me a sense of pain. From the bedroom to the sitting room, then to the door, I walked over ten meters with her in my arms. She closed her eyes and said softly; don’t tell our son about the divorce. I nodded, feeling somewhat upset. I put her down outside the door. She went to wait for the bus to work. I drove alone to the office.
On the second day, both of us acted much more easily. She leaned on my chest. I could smell the fragrance of her blouse. I realized that I hadn’t looked at this woman carefully for a long time. I realized she was not young any more. There were fine wrinkles on her face, her hair was graying! Our marriage had taken its toll on her. For a minute I wondered what I had done to her.
On the fourth day, when I lifted her up, I felt a sense of intimacy returning. This was the woman who had given ten years of her life to me.
On the fifth and sixth day, I realized that our sense of intimacy was growing again. I didn’t tell Jane about this. It became easier to carry her as the month slipped by. Perhaps the everyday workout made me stronger.
She was choosing what to wear one morning. She tried on quite a few dresses but could not find a suitable one. Then she sighed, all my dresses have grown bigger. I suddenly realized that she had grown so thin, that was the reason why I could carry her more easily.
Suddenly it hit me… she had buried so much pain and bitterness in her heart. Subconsciously I reached out and touched her head.
Our son came in at the moment and said, Dad, it’s time to carry mom out. To him, seeing his father carrying his mother out had become an essential part of his life. My wife gestured to our son to come closer and hugged him tightly. I turned my face away because I was afraid I might change my mind at this last minute. I then held her in my arms, walking from the bedroom, through the sitting room, to the hallway. Her hand surrounded my neck softly and naturally. I held her body tightly; it was just like our wedding day.
But her much lighter weight made me sad. On the last day, when I held her in my arms I could hardly move a step. Our son had gone to school. I held her tightly and said, I hadn’t noticed that our life lacked intimacy.
I drove to office… jumped out of the car swiftly without locking the door. I was afraid any delay would make me change my mind… I walked upstairs. Jane opened the door and I said to her, Sorry, Jane, I do not want the divorce anymore.
She looked at me, astonished, and then touched my forehead. Do you have a fever? She said. I moved her hand off my head. Sorry, Jane, I said, I won’t divorce. My marriage life was boring probably because she and I didn’t value the details of our lives, not because we didn’t love each other anymore. Now I realize that since I carried her into my home on our wedding day I am supposed to hold her until death do us apart.
Jane seemed to suddenly wake up. She gave me a loud slap and then slammed the door and burst into tears. I walked downstairs and drove away.
At the floral shop on the way, I ordered a bouquet of flowers for my wife. The salesgirl asked me what to write on the card. I smiled and wrote, I’ll carry you out every morning until death do us apart.
That evening I arrived home, flowers in my hands, a smile on my face, I run up stairs, only to find my wife in the bed – dead.
My wife had been fighting CANCER for months and I was so busy with Jane to even notice. She knew that she would die soon and she wanted to save me from the whatever negative reaction from our son, in case we push thru with the divorce –At least, in the eyes of our son— I’m a loving husband…
The small details of your lives are what really matter in a relationship. It is not the mansion, the car, property, the money in the bank. These create an environment conducive for happiness but cannot give happiness in themselves. So find time to be your spouse’s friend and do those little things for each other that build intimacy. Do have a real happy marriage!

A story for everybody
One Sunday morning, a wealthy man sat in his balcony enjoying sunshine and his coffee when a little ant caught his eye which was going from one side to the other side of the balcony carrying a big leaf several times more than its size. The man watched it for more than an hour. He saw that the ant faced many impediments during its journey, paused, took a diversion and then continued towards destination. At one point the tiny creature came across a crack in the floor. It paused... for a little while, analyzed and then laid the huge leaf over the crack, walked over the leaf, picked the leaf on the other side then continued its journey.The man was captivated by the cleverness of the ant, one of God’s tiniest creatures. The incident left the man in awe and forced him to contemplate over the miracle of Creation. It showed the greatness of the Creator. In front of his eyes there was this tiny creature of God, lacking in size yet equipped with a brain to analyze, contemplate, reason, explore, discover and overcome. Along with all these capabilities, the man also noticed that this tiny creature shared some human shortcomings.The man saw about an hour later the creature had reached its destination – a tiny hole in the floor which was entrance to its underground dwelling. And it was at this point that the ant’s shortcoming that it shared with the man was revealed. How could the ant carry into the tiny hole the large leaf that it had managed to carefully bring to the destination? It simply couldn’t!So the tiny creature, after all the painstaking and hard work and exercising great skills, overcoming all the difficulties along the way, just left behind the large leaf and went home empty-handed.The ant had not thought about the end before it began its challenging journey and in the end the large leaf was nothing more than a burden to it. The creature had no option, but to leave it behind to reach its destination. The man learned a great lesson that day.
Isn’t that the truth about our lives? We worry about our family, we worry about our job, we worry about how to earn more money, we worry about where we should live – 5 bedroom or 6 bedroom house, what kind of vehicle to buy – a Mercedes or BMW or a Porsche, what kind of dresses to wear, all sorts of things, only to abandon all these things when we reach our destination – The Grave. We don’t realize in our life’s journey that these are just burdens that we are carrying with utmost care and fear of losing them, only to find that at the end they are useless and we can’t take them with us.
THERE HAS TO BE CONTENTMENT AT SOME LEVEL IN LIFE. NOTHING EXCEPT THE NAME OF THE LORD SHALL GO ALONG TO THE FINAL DESTINATION.

“To live life to the fullest, you must stand guard at the gate of your garden and let only the very best information enter. You truly cannot afford the luxury of a negative thought – not even one. The most joyful, dynamic and contented people of this world are no different from you or me in terms of their makeup. We are all flesh and bones. We all come from the same universal source. However, the ones who do more than just exist, the ones who fan the flames of their human potential and truly savor the magical dance of life do different things than those whose lives are ordinary. Foremost amongst the things that they do is adopt a positive paradigm about their world and all that is in it.” ~ Robin S. Sharma

You are what you think about all day long. You are also what you say to yourself all day long. If you say that you are old and tired, this mantra will be manifested in your external reality. If you say you are weak and lack enthusiasm, this too will be the nature of your world. But if you say that you are healthy, dynamic and fully alive, your life will be transformed. You see, the words you say to yourself affect your self-image and your self-image determines what actions you take. Your self-image is a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts.” ~ Robin S. Sharma

Thoughts are vital, living things, little bundles of energy, if you will. Most people don’t give any thought to the nature of their thoughts and yet, the quality of your thinking determines the quality of your life. Thoughts are just as much a part of the material world as the lake you swim in or the street you walk on. Weak minds lead to weak actions. A strong, disciplined mind, which anyone can cultivate through daily practice, can achieve miracles. If you want to live life to the fullest, care for your thoughts as you would your most prized possessions. Work hard to remove all inner turbulence. The rewards will be abundant.” ~ Robin S. Sharma

“Most people I have spoken to have no idea that they have the power to control every single thought they think every second of every minute of every day. They believe that thoughts just happen and have never realized that if you don’t take the time to start controlling your thoughts, they will control you. When you start to focus on good thoughts only, and refuse to think the bad ones through sheer will-power, I promise you they will shrivel up very quickly.” ~ Robin S. Sharma

Thinking "Out of the Box"

Many hundreds of years ago in a small Italian town, a merchant had the misfortune of owing a large sum of money to the moneylender. The moneylender, who was old and ugly, fancied the merchant's beautiful daughter so he proposed a bargain. He said he would forgo the merchant's debt if he could marry the daughter. Both the merchant and his daughter were horrified by the proposal.

The moneylender told them that he would put a black pebble and a white pebble into an empty bag. The girl would then have to pick one pebble from the bag. If she picked the black pebble, she would become the moneylender's wife and her father's debt would be forgiven. If she picked the white pebble she need not marry him and her father's debt would still be forgiven. But if she refused to pick a pebble, her father would be thrown into jail.

They were standing on a pebble strewn path in the merchant's garden. As they talked, the moneylender bent over to pick up two pebbles. As he picked them up, the sharp-eyed girl noticed that he had picked up two black pebbles and put them into the bag. He then asked the girl to pick her pebble from the bag.

What would you have done if you were the girl? If you had to advise her, what would you have told her? Careful analysis would produce three possibilities:

1. The girl should refuse to take a pebble.
2. The girl should show that there were two black pebbles in the bag and expose the moneylender as a cheat.
3. The girl should pick a black pebble and sacrifice herself in order to save her father from his debt and imprisonment.

The above story is used with the hope that it will make us appreciate the difference between lateral and logical thinking.
The girl put her hand into the moneybag and drew out a pebble. Without looking at it, she fumbled and let it fall onto the pebble-strewn path where it immediately became lost among all the other pebbles.

"Oh, how clumsy of me," she said. "But never mind, if you look into the bag for the one that is left, you will be able to tell which pebble I picked." Since the remaining pebble is black, it must be assumed that she had picked the white one. And since the moneylender dared not admit his dishonesty, the girl changed what seemed an impossible situation into an advantageous one.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Most complex problems do have a solution, sometimes we have to think about them in a different way.

[h=2]How to raise your vibration:[/h]1) Stop complaining about the weather. As a matter of fact, stop complaining period. Be a contributor with your comments and thoughts – not a taker. Try complimentinginstead. Or showing compassion. Or expressing gratitude. If you’re complaining about something that you can change – then change it already! If you’re complaining about something you can’t change – you’re wasting your time and energy on this beautiful green earth! Re-evaluate your thoughts and comments and keep it constructive.
2) Get news updates from somewhere else. Anywhere else besides the mainstream, nightly news stations! They are often nothing but a never-ending vicious stream of death, killing, terror, riot, war, drugs, devastation, etc… I stopped watching the news a long time ago and I don’t regret it in the least. I get updates from companies and organizations that spread the good word, care to take action in meaningful ways, and shine light where it is needed – not where it’s good for ratings.
3) Entertain compassion and love – not gossip and drama. This goes hand-in-hand with news updates – but extends to the news in your inner circle. Don’t entertain talk that brings people down. Change the conversation to talking about what brings people up! …And surround yourself with people that are doing the same. Read also: Socrates on Gossip.
4) Create high frequency environments for yourself. Surround yourself with upbeat messages, inspiring pictures, motivational books, favorite memories, bright colors, plants, etc. Make sure this is especially true for environments in which you spend most of your time like your bedroom or your work office.
5) Unplug. You’d be amazed at how fast this raises your vibration. Time spent away from electronics and in nature is one of the quickest ways to recharge your spirit and boost your mood. Enough said.
6) Look up. Look left. Look right. Look all around for gosh sake. You are privileged. I know that without even knowing who’s reading this. This goes hand-in-hand with unplugging but reminds you to stay in the present moment too. Start a gratitude journal. Write a gratitude letter. Just be thankful for goodness sake! …And feel your vibration rise.
7) Complaining about somebody else’s ‘bad vibes’ doesn’t help increase the vibes in the room. Complaining about somebody else’s ‘bad vibes’ merely shines a spotlight on the bad vibes and amplifies it by drawing everybody’s attention to it! Best course of action when dealing with ‘bad vibes’ is to starve them from attention. Don’t entertain them. Don’t even acknowledge them. Simply spread some good vibes and focus on the up-and-up.
8) Make time for things that make you happy. This one is pretty self explanatory: walking, knitting, traveling, cycling, painting, writing, talking, playing, training, etc – whatever makes you smile and feel good will undoubtedly raise your vibration. The key though, is to make time. Prioritizing yourself and your personal needs isn’t selfish. It’s like they tell you in airplanes in case of an emergency: Put your oxygen mask on firstbefore trying to help others. That’s exactly what we’re talking about here – breathing in life so that we can share life with others.
9) Make time for things that make you healthy. Once again, you have to make timefor these things. When you’re healthy and fit, you feel good about yourself. When you feel good about yourself, your vibration naturally rises. Eat more greens, eat less processed food, move more, watch TV less, and get someone to do it all with you! Read also: 5 Habits That Will Help You Finally Stick to Your Workout Routine.
10) Make time for things that help you recharge. If you don’t make time to recharge, your vibration will lower undoubtedly. First and foremost way to recharge is to get enough sleep. Sacrifice sleep and you sacrifice your mood, attitude, energy, and ability to perform optimally. Second to that is figuring out if you are an introvert or an extrovertand investing your time accordingly. Finally, add ‘stops’ to your day and stay in the present as much as possible. Lain Thomas

Mr. Phillips was just getting ready to leave his office and he remembered that his wife had asked him to bring 1KG of Bananas. When He stepped out, he saw an ill-looking old lady across the road. She was selling fresh bananas on the street. Mr. Phillips usually buys bananas from a grocery shop few blocks away from his office but since he was in hurry to reach home today, he thought about buying them from across the road only.

He went inside and picked up a good bunch of bananas. He went to the cashier to pay for them but he was surprised when the cashier told him that price per 1KG is $10. He told the cashier, “I have been buying bananas from here only for some years and this is a steep price increase, can’t you offer me a better deal for being a loyal customer?” The Manager overheard him and came there. He told Mr. Phillips, “Sorry Sir but our prices are fixed, we do not bargain.” Mr. Phillips felt little bad with that flat attitude. He thought for a second and put those bananas back. He went back to the old lady. She recognized him instantly and told him, “Sir, I can’t match that price, I won’t be able to earn any profit.”

Mr. Phillips told her, “Don’t worry about the price, I will pay you $10 Per KG! Now, give me 2KG.” The Old Lady got very happy, she packed 2KGs of Bananas and said, “I can’t take $10 but I will take $7 per KG. I appreciate your kindness.” She also told him, “My Husband used to own a small fruit shop but he got very sick. We have no child or any relatives who could support us. We had to sell his shop to cover his medical bills but he could not survive.” Tears were flowing from her eyes. She said, “But now to support myself I am trying to sell what I can afford to buy and sell, so I can survive for what’s left of my life.”

Mr. Phillips told her, “Do not worry, You are doing good and from tomorrow on, I will only buy bananas from you.” He pulled out his wallet and gave her $100 extra and said, “Take this, Bring more different fruits to sell tomorrow, consider this an advance payment for fruits I will be buying from you. You can earn more if you have more choices of fruits to sell.” The Old Lady thanked him.

Later, He recommended many of his colleagues to buy fruits from the lady which they did. And with the support from Mr. Phillips and many other buyers, she made a better living.

Moral: Often we choose to go in big malls or big grocery shops for a shopping. We always pay the fixed price without bargaining. That is fine as we all have choices and people who run their business have their liabilities too. However, we need to spare a moment and think that why we have no courage or reason to bargain while shopping at big shops and why we try to bargain heavily with small street vendors? Think wisely. Always be helpful and supportive to someone who works hard to earn and has a need for it. Think, what Mr. Phillips had thought for a second and why he decided to buy from the old lady..

THIS IS EVERYBODY"S STORY.THIS IS EVERYDAY STORY. ARE WE NOT GUILTY OF THIS?

It does not count if you believe in yourself when it’s easy to believe in yourself. It does not count if you believe the world can be a better place when the future looks bright. It does not count if you think you’re going to make it when the finish line is right in front of you. It counts when it’s hard to believe in yourself, when it looks like the world’s going to end and you’ve still got a long way to go. That’s when it counts. That’s when it matters the most.” Iain Thomas

I know the world is crazy. I know love is not always the way it’s meant to be. I know sometimes, things hurt. But I also know that we’ll get through this. That our hearts will arrive on the other side, in one piece. That everything is beautiful, if we give it the chance to be.” Iain Thomas

One of the most tragic things that any one of us can do is to put off living. Too many people are dreaming of some magical rose garden on the horizon rather than enjoying the one growing in our back yards. What a tragedy.” ~ Robin S. Sharma

Have the discipline to focus your time around your priorities. The most meaningful things in your life should never be sacrificed to those that are the least meaningful.” Robim Sharma

“The quality of your life will come down to the quality of your contribution.” ~ Robin S. Sharma

GREAT ATTITUDE"
Once a Bird asked a BEE, After a continuous hard work, you prepare the honey..........
But a man steals the honey.
Do you not feel sad?"
Then the Bee replied, Never......
Because a man can only steal my honey, not the art of making honey....

This bee has not done any MBA but still she is wiser than anyone of us....lets learn the message of life from nature

GREAT ATTITUDE"
Once a Bird asked a BEE, After a continuous hard work, you prepare the honey..........
But a man steals the honey.
Do you not feel sad?"
Then the Bee replied, Never......
Because a man can only steal my honey, not the art of making honey....

This bee has not done any MBA but still she is wiser than anyone of us....lets learn the message of life from nature

Guruji,
You will say I find fault with your posting, I beg your pardon.
But sometimes a quote that may sound logical in one plain may not be so in other.

For instances let us change the honey to one's own child. Can we be so generous?
For that matter, worker bees are basically slaves. But even they try to defend that honey, they do not give up easily.
Sometimes they die trying to save that honey and their hive. All these similes are used to keep the general public docile so the leaders can plunder and enjoy.

Let us try to tell the same story to a political leader and see how many of them follow it. Unless we educate the common public to be vigilant we are part of the problem. We are creating a docile community of XXXX workers, to be exploited by YYYYYYYY leaders.

We need to see these quotes in the new light. (just my perspective).
Education would have made the bee smarter and turned it into a wasp.

You were right in writing extra long posts without spacing. I would not read them.
Maybe that is what you wanted.
:tea:

Last edited:
Dear Prasadji,
you are perfectly right. In fact that is the feeling that I got when I posted it. Someone does the work and somebody exploits it and that is what it amounts to. And in today's world that is what is happening around us and that cannot be justified. Many of the moral stories also have another side which we generally ignore.
Reg my lengthy postings, I will try to make them into small paras where possible. I cannot compel anyone to read my posts. If they so decide, it is their will and pleasure and their convenience.
Anyhow thank you for your observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back