• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

FATHER's SHRADDA THITHI

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you perform acts of dharmam, one of the cardinal duties consequent on your birth as a Brahmin, one of the commandments of your Vedams, you do NOT expect thank-you notes, money, or gifts in return.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Iyer Ji,

You are right as usual. :)

a6c9fbbeb46ea4e811fdd189c372b846--truth-of-life-life-s.jpg

50634a1d6b1f3c78ed78f623ac118883.jpg

Source: Google images.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Iyer Sir,

I am rather surprised to see a note of 'thanks' in your post! :ranger:

BTW, have you heard of 'kombu seevaRAdhu'??

Iyer Ji,

நீங்களே சொல்லுங்க ....

எதிர் வாதங்களை வைப்பது கொம்பு சீவரதா ஆகுமா ..?

இது எந்த ஊரு நியாயம்ப்பா...?

தேவுடா ?

When I read the term "you hit the nail"

It reminds me of a Local Mohini Pisasu called Pontianak.

It is supposed to be a beautiful ghost who will sit on trees to lure men and then become ugly with fangs etc.

The story goes that if a Pointianak is caught and a nail is hit into her base of skull (nape of neck) she becomes human and some men have claimed to even married Pontianaks.

But if the nail is removed..the she becomes a Pisasu again.

When I read the term "you hit the nail"

It reminds me of a Local Mohini Pisasu called Pontianak.

It is supposed to be a beautiful ghost who will sit on trees to lure men and then become ugly with fangs etc.

The story goes that if a Pointianak is caught and a nail is hit into her base of skull (nape of neck) she becomes human and some men have claimed to even married Pontianaks.

But if the nail is removed..the she becomes a Pisasu again.

When I read some such postings, I only remember the vengeful ghosts or Jezebel ghosts about which I read some where and are mostly responsible for breaking friendships besides committing other harmful acts. This spirit of anger may perhaps expect every other to fall in line with his/her 'misconception' and if any one try to counter, this vengeful/Jezebel ghost will try to pounce upon them in group by dragging other like minded Jezebel ghosts which will be on the wait looking for potential prowl. lol

At times, it may prove to be better to deal ghosts than some so-called intellectuals. lol

Dear Renu,

But this is 'Old wine in new bottle'! :cool:

It may be an ‘Old Monk’ but in new bottle. Bottle change does not bring out any change in its ingredients and intoxicating effect. Though launched in 1954 it is still doing good in market, in fact ranked top and is most favorite drink for responsible drinkers. More enjoy the loyal and brand and its effect of improving the mood, self-confidence, sociability,less anxiety, etc

At times, may prove little violent and aggressive also depending on the dosage. lol

I have posted this video (U.S. Supreme Court Justice John Roberts giving a commencement address for 9th graders) in the chit-chat forum a while ago.

Please listen this part of the speech at least - His advice to 9th graders is applicable to every one (in my opinion)
https://youtu.be/s6y8NxOtWBA?t=4m16s

I have posted this video (U.S. Supreme Court Justice John Roberts giving a commencement address for 9th graders) in the chit-chat forum a while ago.

Please listen this part of the speech at least - His advice to 9th graders is applicable to every one (in my opinion)
https://youtu.be/s6y8NxOtWBA?t=4m16s

Sir,

Thanks for sharing this commencement address:

It was brilliant... more particularly I like the following lines ..

They will say that today is a commencement exercise. ‘It is a beginning, not an end. You should look forward.’ And I think that is true enough, however, I think if you’re going to look forward to figure out where you’re going, it’s good to know where you’ve been and to look back as well. And I think if you look back to your first afternoon here at Cardigan, perhaps you will recall that you were lonely. Perhaps you will recall that you were a little scared, a little anxious. And now look at you. You are surrounded by friends that you call brothers, and you are confident in facing the next step in your education.

It is worth trying to think why that is so. And when you do, I think you may appreciate that it was because of the support of your classmates in the classroom, on the athletic field and in the dorms. And as far as the confidence goes, I think you will appreciate that it is not because you succeeded at everything you did, but because with the help of your friends, you were not afraid to fail. And if you did fail, you got up and tried again. And if you failed again, you got up and tried again. And if you failed again, it might be time to think about doing something else. But it was not just success, but not being afraid to fail that brought you to this point.

Now the commencement speakers will typically also wish you good luck and extend good wishes to you. I will not do that, and I’ll tell you why. From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly, so that you will come to know the value of justice. I hope that you will suffer betrayal because that will teach you the importance of loyalty. Sorry to say, but I hope you will be lonely from time to time so that you don’t take friends for granted. I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either. And when you lose, as you will from time to time, I hope every now and then, your opponent will gloat over your failure. It is a way for you to understand the importance of sportsmanship. I hope you’ll be ignored so you know the importance of listening to others, and I hope you will have just enough pain to learn compassion. Whether I wish these things or not, they’re going to happen. And whether you benefit from them or not will depend upon your ability to see the message in your misfortunes.

May God bless you and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
And may you stay forever young
May you grow up to be righteous
May you grow up to be true
May you always know the truth
And see the lights surrounding you
May you always be courageous
Stand upright and be strong
May your hands always be busy
May your feet always be swift
May you have a strong foundation
When the winds of changes shift
May your heart always be joyful
May your song always be sung

Thank you.

Dear moderator,

This thread has served more than its purpose.

Answer to the query is given already and this thread needs ONLY closure.

And, this has to be moved too because it is in Deepavali thread!!

திரு உயர் கனம் பொருந்திய வல்லூறு அவர்களே

இக்காலத்து மகளிர் நியாயம் அநியாயம் பார்ப்பதில்லை வாய்க்கு வந்தது பேசுவார்கள் எழுது வார்கள் இவர்கள் வாய் மூட உலமூடி தான் இல்லை அடைத்து வைத்த கதவினை உடைத்து உள்ளே செல்வார்கள் --

இப்படிக்கு அன்புடன் ஸு நாராயணஸ்வாமி அய்யர்

<You have been warned>

Following advice from Sri Ramachander regarding time for performing annual shraaddham is relayed for those interested:-

1.1. Shraaddham should be performed in the souramana month , on the phase of the moon and on the thidhi when the person dies, annually. The thidhi is that which occurs in the Kudaba kala in Aparahna i.e after 18 Nazhigai (approximately 8 hours after sun rise). Shraaddham is to be performed in the Kudaba Kala of Aparahna only. During the Paksha of Shraadham at least for three days one should follow all rituals and observe all rules.

1.2. If the thidhi is spread over two days, Shraaddham should be performed on that day when thidhi is there in the afternoon. If both days it is spread on the afternoon , then it should be performed on the day when it is spread more in the afternoon. If it is spread equally then it should be done on the first day.

1.3. If during a month two thidhis come, then Shraaddham should be performed on the second thidhi. If one of them happens to be the day when month starts (Sankramana), it should be done on the other day. If both are having Sankramana, it should be done on the first day.

1.4. If there is no thidhi in a particular month, it should be done on the thidhi of the previous chandramana month without Sankramana. If it is not there in the Chandramana month, it should be done in the next souramana month.

(*There are two system of month in India. Souramana month is the period when Sun stays in the rasi of the month . Chandramana is always from Prathama for thirty days. Chandramana year will have 360 days. After every five years, there would be an Athi maasam (Extra month))

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

A 'thank you' note, when members come forward to answer a query, shows the basic courtesy.

The two friends can join hands to abuse me and Renu. But there is no need for us to ask for an apology! :nono:

I will not write any more in this thread because 'Silence is the best way to let someone know they did wrong!'

:peace:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back