• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

faith, trust, belief

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will attempt this which is my own interpretation. Trust is a feeling of expression between humans like saying I have immense trust in someone. In that sense we don't say we trust god. Rather we have faith in god or faith in the power of rituals and so on. Faith has a more positive connotation to it. So faith can possibly be described as a feeling of positive expression that a human being has on something beyond him or one he has not understood. Belief is somewhat similar to faith but can carry negative connotations as well. Like belief in superstitions or a belief in jihadist ideology. Of course what is faith for me can be termed as belief by someone depending on point of view.

drs,

not only is this an interesting wordsmithing exercise, but also, no matter what each poster interprets it, is based on certain assumptions.

very similar to the 'hiding our roots' thread, where each of us, assumed the query, based on our background.

so, if you don't mind, and since you started the thread, may i please pose the following foundation queries to you

- under what context are you interested in the difference between faith, trust & belief
- all these three can be used in relationship with divinity, your partner, friend, parents.. and in each situation has different connotations
- clinically, as durga has said, they are the same, but i think, that is not what you had in mind. right?
- finally, and this a ringer for you: normally, these three words, i think work in harmony, ie if one is present, the other two are also imminent.. would you be able to agree with that?

or even more interestingly, can you relate to some situation, where the three words were at odds with each other.

thank you.

I will attempt this which is my own interpretation. Trust is a feeling of expression between humans like saying I have immense trust in someone. In that sense we don't say we trust god. Rather we have faith in god or faith in the power of rituals and so on. Faith has a more positive connotation to it. So faith can possibly be described as a feeling of positive expression that a human being has on something beyond him or one he has not understood. Belief is somewhat similar to faith but can carry negative connotations as well. Like belief in superstitions or a belief in jihadist ideology. Of course what is faith for me can be termed as belief by someone depending on point of view.
thanks anandbji.I can understand from your inferences there is not much to distinguish upon. Am I right to some extent? But since these are the words used in most powerful senses at timesin a particular context I am confused at the individuality of each. Another word is "confidance" thanks for inputting.

kunjuppuji, I am unable to go deep well inside to respond the way you have wanted. I only feel since these three with another "confidence" makes 4 words and they are used at different parlance at different levels. I only could feel that there should be different understanding, may be subjectively even. But drawing a reference to a particular sentence, say Ex: Have faith in God. Suppose this sentence is used with alternate words, viz: belief or trust or confident erc etc how much the core meaning gets changed or modified . Or which we should use a with which context. Hope I have little given vent to what you wanted.
Thank you

My interpretation is :

If you have Belief in someone , you begin to trust him , and when he becomes trustworthy , you begin to have faith in whatever he says - you consider him to be truthful and see in him a trusted companion , guide and sometimes a form of a GOD man ! ( Controversial issue !)

The other way around - If you have faith in some entity , you trust whatever comes out of the same and believe that it can work out wonders in you -- Analogy similar to
Faith in Fast food joints , trust that burgers and french fries are man-made amirtham and belief that it is good for your belly !

My interpretation is :

If you have Belief in someone , you begin to trust him , and when he becomes trustworthy , you begin to have faith in whatever he says - you consider him to be truthful and see in him a trusted companion , guide and sometimes a form of a GOD man ! ( Controversial issue !)

The other way around - If you have faith in some entity , you trust whatever comes out of the same and believe that it can work out wonders in you -- Analogy similar to
Faith in Fast food joints , trust that burgers and french fries are man-made amirtham and belief that it is good for your belly !

Thats an amazing interpretation and inter-relation of these wonder words... Very nice.

Poorima

i am able to relate to anandb ji's explanation. vijisesh ji's take is also quite interesting.

if dr S can come up with any potential 'conflicting' situation as the moderator has requested, i am sure it can lead to interesting observations.

superficially the words seem perfectly fungible but i think intrinsically they are not.

the easiest i guess is to try explain trust. trust comes from past performance. that is to say that the provenance of trust is thru 'establishment and verification' and not intuitive.

intuitively no 2 persons can be rated on trust ; trust is always preceded by verify, i guess and so goes the famous phrase, trust but verify.

in this context, anandb ji is right on the money when he says that we dont trust in god.

now comes faith.

i am tempted to think that faith is a combination of legacy handover plus cognitive understanding. most of us were born to believers and so we were told to have faith in god. but as our cognitive abilities developed (though there can be exceptions such as yours truly), we started to rationalize what has been handed over to us.

so in this process of cognition, we shear off the superfluous aspects of the faith and stick only to the basic kernel of faith. this possibly explains why some of us can be non-ritualistic but deeply religious. because our cognition has taught us that the paraphernalia of rituals are not essentially a pre-requisite to realization.

so cognitive appreciation of legacy is perhaps my definition of faith.

belief is difficult. belief is something which we dont want to put through a cognitive test. belief is something that is deeply personal, unverifiable, which tugs the strings of our heart and when breached can cause psychological impairment.

belief again can be handed over to us but somewhere in the process of handover enmeshed into our psyche that we feel part of it. a crude example could be that none of us required a dna test to confirm our parentage. it is given and so we believe we are who we are.

have i added something worthwhile ?

i 'believe' so, but dr S is free to dismiss my belief. :)

i want to post a question on names given nowadays.
i nowadays see many children in the country i stay in(outside india) having weird spelling names given after taking into account the Nakshatram and numerology.

for eg i know a child whose name is spelt VISHAANU( and he is called Vishnu at home)
i have even seen names like VARROON (for Varun)
some have names spelt to suit the numerological requirements and end up having names with negative meanings eg NAMITRA(poor thing she is not a friend).

what i cant understand is you can only altar the spelling if you are using English(romanized script) for eg VARROON is spelt Va Ru N_ in any indian language, you cant write it as VA R_ RU N_ so how does all the so call benefit apply when English is not our mother tongue.

Is the nomenclature matter relevant to faith, belief, trust and confidence.
Kind Attn: Kunjuppuji and Hariharanji: Coming to a situations like when tend to utter, "Trust me", "Trust all are well at Home", "I am confident all are well there", "I believe all going Ok", "I have faith in my belief".
How to understand each of these phrases in the context of my query please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back