• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Failed to convince farmers of benefits of the laws: Agriculture minister Tomar

prasad1

Union agriculture minister Narendra Singh Tomar lamented that the decision to repeal the three farm laws was taken because the government failed to explain the benefits of the laws to the farmers

The three farm laws that sparked over a year of protests and will now be repealed are: the Farmers’ Produce Trade and Commerce (Promotion and Facilitation) Act, the Farmers (Empowerment and Protection) Agreement of Price Assurance and Farm Services Act, and the Essential Commodities (Amendment) Act.

Protesting farmers who took to the streets since November last year have been arguing that the laws, if implemented, would leave them at the mercy of the big businesses.

Farmers celebrate after PM Modi announces repeal of 3 farm laws

• “Today, I have come to tell you, the whole country, that we have decided to withdraw all three agricultural laws. In the Parliament session starting later this month, we will complete the constitutional process to repeal these three agricultural laws,” PM Modi said during a televised speech.
Farmers pose for a picture and shout slogans to celebrate the Centre’s decision to repeal three agricultural reform laws that sparked almost a year of huge protests across the country.(AFP)

Farmers pose for a picture and shout slogans to celebrate the Centre’s decision to repeal three agricultural reform laws that sparked almost a year of huge protests across the country.(AFP)​

Published on Nov 19, 2021 01:07 PM IST

5/8
The announcement comes after over a year-long protest from tens and thousands of farmers.(PTI)

The announcement comes after over a year-long protest from tens and thousands of farmers.(PTI)​

Three controversial farm laws at the heart of massive farmer protests across the country for over a year will be withdrawn, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said today in a stunning announcement just months before elections in states like Uttar Pradesh and Punjab.

The move comes on the festival of Guru Purab, when Sikhism founder Guru Nanak's birthday is celebrated, mainly in Punjab.

"While apologising to the nation, I want to say with a sincere and pure heart that maybe something was lacking in our tapasya (dedication) that we could not explain the truth, as clear as the light of the diya, to some of our farmer brothers. But today is Prakash Parv, not the time to blame anyone. Today, I want to tell the country that we have decided to repeal the three farm laws," PM Modi said in an address to the nation.

"In the Parliament session starting the end of this month, we will complete the process of repealing the three laws," he said.

"I would request all my protesting farmer friends, today is the auspicious day of Guru Purab, return home to your fields and your families and make a new beginning, let us move forward afresh."

u4aaujpo

Farmers feed each other sweets and celebrate after PM Modi announced that he will repeal the controversial farm laws.
Before the big climb-down, the Prime Minister defended the laws saying they were meant as reforms, mainly for small and marginal farmers in the country.

"Whatever I did was for farmers. What I am doing is for the country."

Thousands of farmers from Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan have been camping outside Delhi since November 2020, demanding that the "black laws" be withdrawn. The BJP has faced massive anger in northern states, something it cannot afford as it preps for big elections ahead, including the 2024 national polls.

Rakesh Tikait, a top farmer leader, said the protesters would wait till the laws were repealed in the session starting on November 29.

The farmer protests did not stop through several rounds of talks between the government and farmers, disruptions in parliament and Supreme Court hearings on petitions challenging the laws.

"We regret we could not convince all farmers. Only a section of them was opposing the laws, but we kept trying to educate and inform them," PM Modi said

It is premature. Once Govt. cuts off all the tax payer paid subsidies, these guys will start committing suicide.
- This will come even if no one wants it. It is not that these guys are rich, but political reality is giving way to systematic improvement in agriculture sectors. South Indian farmers make money on bogus claims.

Latest ads

Back