• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Explanation for Dhooram and Madi

MEJV

I'm hard pressed to explain, much less justify, the concept of dhooram and madi to especially to those who were born and grew up in the US. While I followed because my parents told me to, I can't expect the same from those children who were raised abroad and expect a reasonable explanation. I've even been asked why can't women not visit temples during periods. This is probably a contentious topic, I'm curious what everyone thinks.

I'm hard pressed to explain, much less justify, the concept of dhooram and madi to especially to those who were born and grew up in the US. While I followed because my parents told me to, I can't expect the same from those children who were raised abroad and expect a reasonable explanation. I've even been asked why can't women not visit temples during periods. This is probably a contentious topic, I'm curious what everyone thinks.
hi

i studied in somewhere...during periods body produces more heat...so the deties in temple can't contro; the haeat...but im not sure....

during periods, impure (not pure) blood is going out, scientifically toxicant. body will be weak, hence bathing not taken.
temple idols are installed after long procedures of pooja, kalasam (pouring water with mantras ) etc. Entry of impure women, men(theettu), will damage the purity of the idol [not GOD]. GOD exists at macro level, Idol at micro level .

I feel, during periods, she will be weak and also to give her rest from the daily works/chores, elders had advised 4 to 5 days break.

It is a pity nowadays so called modern girls & women not understanding this & are bent upon opposing this and going to work, attending functions, going to temples, participating in concerts and spreading the theetu to other/s, families also.
In most of the households, particularly in cities, eventhough if the concerned person informs about this to take rest women are not listening but do arguments.

There is need for our Swamys, Jeers, & other religious leaders to discuss in important platforms and call upon ladies to follow this at least to some extent and also marry with only Brahmin boys/gents only, but unfourtunately, no Swamyjis take up such impt. issues.

Also, more modern/wealthy the Brahmin ladies become they will not listen to good things like following good traditions, knowing about moksha & ways to go near to it., etc. they normally, get a feeling, Educated well, Earn well, Enjoy well & End Life with it.

dear all, this is written with a good intention so kindly do not feel otherwise.

Appreciate your insights, however these points would be extremely difficult to justify to any woman, Brahmin or otherwise. I’m really curious to find out what the women on this forum think. There are some who’d accept the rules their elders made, but most would question the rationale for these. We have to consider the world has changed, and may need to reform our practices as well. Thanks for sharing your perspectives.

Appreciate your insights, however these points would be extremely difficult to justify to any woman, Brahmin or otherwise. I’m really curious to find out what the women on this forum think. There are some who’d accept the rules their elders made, but most would question the rationale for these. We have to consider the world has changed, and may need to reform our practices as well. Thanks for sharing your perspectives.
I feel, during periods, she will be weak and also to give her rest from the daily works/chores, elders had advised 4 to 5 days break.

It is a pity nowadays so called modern girls & women not understanding this & are bent upon opposing this and going to work, attending functions, going to temples, participating in concerts and spreading the theetu to other/s, families also.
In most of the households, particularly in cities, eventhough if the concerned person informs about this to take rest women are not listening but do arguments.

There is need for our Swamys, Jeers, & other religious leaders to discuss in important platforms and call upon ladies to follow this at least to some extent and also marry with only Brahmin boys/gents only, but unfourtunately, no Swamyjis take up such impt. issues.

Also, more modern/wealthy the Brahmin ladies become they will not listen to good things like following good traditions, knowing about moksha & ways to go near to it., etc. they normally, get a feeling, Educated well, Earn well, Enjoy well & End Life with it.

dear all, this is written with a good intention so kindly do not feel otherwise.
I fully agree with this perspective. Whatever was advised and followed by our ancestors had scientific explanation. The modern generation should try to understand this

I fully agree with this perspective. Whatever was advised and followed by our ancestors had scientific explanation. The modern generation should try to understand this
It has been very difficult to convince the younger generation, and wish we had a more appealing explanation.

This is just to do like practicals in science lab whatever is read in theory. Ask the girls to do the self test and come to a conclusion whether the practice is good or not. Let they try once with bath and other routines and once they try the ancestors method and they will say the latter is good as it gives comfort and the amount of toxicants produced is less compared to bathing in all three days and especially people who took head bath on all three days. And also whatever perfume/deodarant used there will be surely an odour they themselves will feel if they really watch out clearly and that will surely be smelled by others and found out even they don't say it out. Because of these scientific reasons only people in those days strictly followed the then practice of keeping separately and even without bath.
But sometimes even after knowing all of these there may be circumstances in this modern era we cannot practice but that does not mean the ancestors method is wrong.

Dhooram what we call is a period in which the adult female body detoxifies itself every month. In the process the toxic blood is released in frequent intervals without control. So we need to soak the discharge and prevent from flowing down. In the olden days they only had rags for this purpose and it was messy, smelly and unhygienic. Now we have pads, tampons etc. and maintain total hygiene. No mess or smell. So there is no need to sit in a corner or fuss. Modern lifestyle does not suite such practices. Taking rest is definitely advised during weaker times. Visiting temples or entering puja room is not recommended as both these places are meant to maintain positive energy and female body does give out negative/toxic vibes during menstruation.

Dhooram what we call is a period in which the adult female body detoxifies itself every month. In the process the toxic blood is released in frequent intervals without control. So we need to soak the discharge and prevent from flowing down. In the olden days they only had rags for this purpose and it was messy, smelly and unhygienic. Now we have pads, tampons etc. and maintain total hygiene. No mess or smell. So there is no need to sit in a corner or fuss. Modern lifestyle does not suite such practices. Taking rest is definitely advised during weaker times. Visiting temples or entering puja room is not recommended as both these places are meant to maintain positive energy and female body does give out negative/toxic vibes during menstruation.
Madam's explanation is good.
One thing, I want to ask is, resting advised but if the person is moving around here & there, even out of doors, how the resting occurs! Its a practical thing.

So, our forefathers, elderly scholars did advise to ladies to sit in a room & take rest; dont even think of taking bath for thos 4 to 5 days of heavy bleeding bcos of weakness & strain. All these good advises hv been thrown to air by so called modern ladies [especially city dwelling ones] & condemning the good advisors/elderly persons & thus spreading/passing on the negative vibes wherever they go; bcos of these abnormalities by women, nowadays it seems temples are losing their sanctity/effectiveness for the real devotees.

We often take shelter for our not doing/following good traditions/practices by quoting modern lifestyles do not suit such practices; consequently, as a curse, when some big disorder happens in such families, like childlessness, birth of deformed babies, etc. we keep on lamenting & belittle the Almighty. What a paradox! If illiterates talk like this understandable but so called highly intellectuals also sing same tune nowadays. These are all bcos of KALIYUGA it seems!
This is written with a good intention so do not feel otherwise pls.

Thanks.. I like your explanation, it’s balanced and quite acceptable.

Your view is quite agreeable. My further view is that the concerned may atleast give priority to those who want to observe to certain extent viz doing pooja at home, Pithur karyams, going to temples etc.by keeping themselves away from such activities. Do not take it as other wise. Only with good intention I am posting this

As a woman, though past that phase, I observed that the blood flow will be more while moving around, and resting somewhat regularized that aspect, not to speak of the numb pain, some experience. Those were the only times of total rest for women, free from worrying about household chores.. and when she is comfortable resting at home, enjoying the luxury of being fed by others, why think about going out, temple including ,that too for 4 days in a month? Now everything has come to a total chaos, employed or not, always stressing out about family etc...and when the family is not aware of the 'away' time they dont stop bothering her for anything and everything. Just a peripheral grazing view.

Latest ads

Back