• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

'English language skill is more important than a degree'

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

From Dindigul to Google and Chennai, this entrepreneur has travelled a full circle riding on English
Remember the Rapidex English Speaking Course? It was probably the only thick book in most households around the early 80s. We had one too. With three children studying in an English medium school and a husband who fussed about these things, my mother took refuge in the Rapidex to reach out to her family. Nearly all households have gone through this 'English Vinglish' moment sometime or the other.
The book, with editions in Hindi, Urdu, Bangla, Tamil, Gujarati and several other vernacular tongues, guided people to master the Queen's language in 30 days. Kept in the privacy of the bedroom, away from visitors' prying eyes, the Rapidex gained public acceptance only after cricketer Kapil Dev endorsed it.
The tryst with English language remains. According to unconfirmed estimates, the number of English-speaking people in India is expected to be somewhere around 10 per cent of its population, which is 125 million people. Thus, it is no surprise that Pustak Mahal, which publishes Rapidex, continues to make money on this bestseller even today.
"Whatever you say, the fact is that the primary reason people aren't able to convert their education into employability is because their English language skill is very poor. In fact, I would say this skill is more important than a degree. Coming from a small town myself, I can relate to their aspirations when they tell me they want to learn to speak English fluently," says Santhosh Karnananda, Founder and Director of MeraEnglish.com.

Santhosh found his calling in helping people like him achieve professional success. "I travelled extensively across Tamil Nadu and met thousands of young boys and girls like me who were struggling to come out of conformity." With his savings from Google, Santhosh was able to set up MeraEnglish website in 2012.
"When I started out I did not know how to make money. I only knew how to write content. It was only in 2013, that I started making money." Today, the MeraEnglish team has 11 trainers and writers with an office and classroom in Chennai.

http://www.rediff.com/getahead/repo...-is-more-important-than-a-degree/20150626.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back