• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Endemic discrimination

Status
Not open for further replies.
But, secularists of this forum, who criticized the attitude of Mumbaikars on Muslims, are keeping quite about Srirangam fiasco.

Who is the person who has commented which you had quoted verbatim..Any one can post any comment in a Comment section and get away...May be it was a ploy to divide Brahmins...We cannot be divided by such a comment...

But generally minority communities generally tend to have a ghetto mentality...When I had posted why Brahmin should live in agraharams there were people who said why we should not..

If I would let out my house I would prefer a vegetarian at the lowest level of satisfaction....The next level of satisfaction is Brahmin...Next level of satisfaction is having a smartha...Next and highest level is smartha from Tanjore...Our live is full of compromises...From preferring a smartha from Tanjore you will actually have a non brahmin vegetarian as a tenant...Even assuming the referenced comment is true there is nothing wrong in an Iyengar preferring an Iyengar as a tenant

For me when I see an African I do not know why I feel some connection..I am pretty sure I must have been a African in some previous life.

According to one theory entire human race originated from Africa only .

I believe that if various groups in the same religion and caste follow different sambradayas, bringing unity among the groups is difficult. It is far more difficult to bring common understanding among various religious groups.

To substantiate my doubt, I have come across a letter in the 'letters to the editor' column of The Hindu dated 4.6.2015 under the above title, in connection with employment/accommodation being denied to Muslims in Mumbai.

The letter was written by one Mr Annadurai Jeeva, Srirangam, a gist of which is given below:

Judicial interventions and legislative actions are not enough to eradicate the endemic discrimination in matter such as housing. The problem is not peculiar to Mumbai. In Srirangam, it is quite impossible for even an IYER family to find rented accommodation in an area dominated by Iyengars, not to speak of families belonging to the OBCs and SCs, which only express the hollow claims of India possessing a secular identity.

UNQUOTE

What will the pseudo-Smarthas say, who are members of this forum and who have been shouting / crying / weeping from the roof-top for a permanent holy alliance between Iyers and Iyengars shedding the differences? Is it possible?

Now that the concept of individual house is gone forever, and apartments have become order of the day, Smarthas may not feel comfortable living in apartments when certain groups form the majority say Iyengars, Dalits, Muslims, Christians, Jains/Marwaris. The above letter amply proves this.

Dear Chandruji,

This so called Annadurai Jeeva is a DK guy...I read his comments in another article..I told you so...Do not go by comments posted in another magazine without knowing the context...We have unnecessarily created a friction... I have seen Pakistani guys also active in various Indian forums to create communal friction in different parts of India...

Dear Chandruji,

This so called Annadurai Jeeva is a DK guy...I read his comments in another article..I told you so...Do not go by comments posted in another magazine without knowing the context...We have unnecessarily created a friction... I have seen Pakistani guys also active in various Indian forums to create communal friction in different parts of India...

Vganeji,
I know your desire to sweep this under the rug in the name of Brahmin unity. It is admirable, but is it worth it? If the original post is deliberate lei, please ask for source. If the source is malicious let us expose it.
We do believe on other sources for information as we do not have the resources to investigate each incidence by ourselves.

Are you saying that overt discrimination is ok if it is based on religion, caste etc? I may not like to live next door to a non-veg family. But should I be allowed under the law?

Vganeji,
I know your desire to sweep this under the rug in the name of Brahmin unity. It is admirable, but is it worth it? If the original post is deliberate lei, please ask for source. If the source is malicious let us expose it.
We do believe on other sources for information as we do not have the resources to investigate each incidence by ourselves.

Are you saying that overt discrimination is ok if it is based on religion, caste etc? I may not like to live next door to a non-veg family. But should I be allowed under the law?

Prasadji,

The thread was based on a comment posted by someone in a national daily...It was assumed that the comment was genuine without verifying the veracity..

There is no discrimination of smarthas by vaishnavites in Srirangam...It is all a creation of fertile mind...

If Gujjus prefer vegetarians as neighbour is it a crime...Not an iota!

The constitution originally formulated by ambedkar is very clear - only the state (government) cannot discriminate its subjects (like our hindu kings, and not muslim or christian rulers) based on religion. Individuals and groups are exempted from such exclusive practices. Supreme court has ruled that jains can decide who will live in their housing societies; many societies decide with the approval of the resident members who can become tenants, who can buy flats to ensure a serene and peaceful life without drastic reduction in value of the property.

Now police in sweden have admitted that there are many ghetto areas they cannot enter. Hindus for ages have lived in an environment that is conducive to their way of life and practices.

Judicial interventions and legislative actions are not enough to eradicate the endemic discrimination in matter such as housing. The problem is not peculiar to Mumbai. In Srirangam, it is quite impossible for even an IYER family to find rented accommodation in an area dominated by Iyengars, not to speak of families belonging to the OBCs and SCs, which only express the hollow claims of India possessing a secular identity.

This is totally wrong. We had all all shades of people - iyengars, iyers, raos, chettis, telugus, marwaris, naidus, menons - you name it. All were expected to be and were vegetarians. No meat shop or hotels were allowed in the 'sapta prkarams'.

The true original meaning of secular is 'separation of church and the state'; that is, the state will not interfere with the religious activities of the church and the church will not play politics and create trouble for the king. All our hindu kings, in north or south, east or west, were secular in the true sense of the word. They did not levy special taxes on hindus or what the representative rules from the west did in goa, pondicherry or in kerala in recent times.

The constitution rightly places emphasis on state and state funded institutions:

Art 15: Prohibition of discrimination on grounds of religion, race, caste, sex or place of birth.
(1) The State shall not discriminate against any citizen on grounds only of religion, race, caste, sex, place of birth or any of them.
(2) No citizen shall, on grounds only of religion, race, caste, sex, place of birth or any of them, be subject to any disability, liability, restriction or condition with regard to—
(2A) access to shops, public restaurants, hotels and places of public entertainment; or
(2B) the use of wells, tanks, bathing ghats, roads and places of public resort maintained wholly or partly out of State funds or dedicated to the use of the general public.
(3) Nothing in this article shall prevent the State from making any special provision for women and children.
(4) Nothing in this article or in clause (2) of article 29 shall prevent the State from making any special provision for the advancement of any socially and educationally backward classes of citizens or for the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes.
(5) Nothing in this article or in sub-clause (g) of clause (1) of article 19 shall prevent the State from making any special provision, by law, for the advancement of any socially and educationally backward classes of citizens or for the Scheduled Castes or the Scheduled Tribes in so far as such special provisions relate to their admission to educational institutions including private educational institutions, whether aided or unaided by the State, other than the minority educational institutions referred to in clause (1) of article 30.
[h=3]Art 16: Equality of opportunity in matters of public employment.[/h](1) There shall be equality of opportunity for all citizens in matters relating to employment or appointment to any office under the State.
(2) No citizen shall, on grounds only of religion, race, caste, sex, descent, place of birth, residence or any of them, be ineligible for, or discriminated against in respect of, any employment or office under the State.
(3) Nothing in this article shall prevent Parliament from making any law prescribing, in regard to a class or classes of employment or appointment to an office under the Government of, or any local or other authority within, a State or Union territory, any requirement as to residence within that State or Union territory prior to such employment or appointment.
(4) Nothing in this article shall prevent the State from making any provision for the reservation of appointments or posts in favour of any backward class of citizens which, in the opinion of the State, is not adequately represented in the services under the State.

Because most of the brahmin girls prefer fair husbands and hesitate to select dark guys, even if a brahmin!

Dear RR ji,

there is a saying "Once you go black you don't turn back"

It has something to do with the Godzilla theory and many girls admire their muscular physique,height and big hearted nature.

The average Indian might not match the physical attributes in terms of height and muscles.

Last edited:
This is totally wrong. We had all all shades of people - iyengars, iyers, raos, chettis, telugus, marwaris, naidus, menons - you name it. All were expected to be and were vegetarians. No meat shop or hotels were allowed in the 'sapta prkarams'.

First, Chettis, Naidus and Menons are not vegetarians and some may be Vs.

Secondly, the subject was not properly understood. You may note Iyers are finding it difficult to get accommodation in Iyengar dominated areas and not in the entire Srirangam village.

The message conveys that reservations is prevalent within the caste as well, and Iyengars may find it difficult to accommodate Iyers, as Poojas, punaskarams and punaisuruttu are quite different.

In Chennai, Jains/Marwaris are not allowing Bs to reside where they dominate.

Dear Chandruji,

Sir,

We will have to go by information available in the newspapers and individual verification is not possible and unnecessary.

How do u know the writer is a DK guy? Even if it is right, normally, DK guys will speak only against the overall Hindus but generally not against two castes.

I think you are a Smartha and you are living in Srirangam in Iyengar dominated areas. If it is correct, please send a letter to 'The Hindu' for publication under Letters to the Editor column for possible correction. If not, it can be presumed that you are one of the so many Smarthas dependent on Iyengars, despite reservation.

You are drifting and deviating. Iyers and other communities live and own properties in the principal uttara and chittira streets around the temple. There are choultris of other communities, say vaishyas, cater to the needs of yatris.

First, Chettis, Naidus and Menons are not vegetarians and some may be Vs.

Secondly, the subject was not properly understood. You may note Iyers are finding it difficult to get accommodation in Iyengar dominated areas and not in the entire Srirangam village.

The message conveys that reservations is prevalent within the caste as well, and Iyengars may find it difficult to accommodate Iyers, as Poojas, punaskarams and punaisuruttu are quite different.

In Chennai, Jains/Marwaris are not allowing Bs to reside where they dominate.

Sir,

We will have to go by information available in the newspapers and individual verification is not possible and unnecessary.

How do u know the writer is a DK guy? Even if it is right, normally, DK guys will speak only against the overall Hindus but generally not against two castes.

I think you are a Smartha and you are living in Srirangam in Iyengar dominated areas. If it is correct, please send a letter to 'The Hindu' for publication under Letters to the Editor column for possible correction. If not, it can be presumed that you are one of the so many Smarthas dependent on Iyengars, despite reservation.

Dear Sir,

The DK guys are hatemongers and only target Brahmins...If they are able to divide Iyers & Iyengars and pit one against the other then it is halwa to them...Unfortunately you have fallen into their well laid trap...I will not fall into that...I will resist headlong..I left TN for greener pastures...But my connections with TN are strong...Many people have already voiced about The Hindu getting funds from Middle East & Church backed westerns NGO's and so it is giving voice to all and sundry under the so called secularism umbrella....Anything anti Hindu will find a place in that newspaper!

You are drifting and deviating. Iyers and other communities live and own properties in the principal uttara and chittira streets around the temple. There are choultris of other communities, say vaishyas, cater to the needs of yatris.

The point is Iyers are not getting in Iyengar dominated areas and not owning properties.

Does Srirangam become another Kashmir - only Iyengars can own properties like Muslims in the case of Kashmir?

Your comparison is bizarre. 1. Read indian constitution and art 370. 2. Visit srirangam and do a survey on the composition of old landlords, new buyers and tenants. Who knows, some iyers may not want iyengars as neighbours!

The point is Iyers are not getting in Iyengar dominated areas and not owning properties.

Does Srirangam become another Kashmir - only Iyengars can own properties like Muslims in the case of Kashmir?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back