• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Empires built on common people's blood, sweat and tears!

Status
Not open for further replies.

I and my husband usually take Travel Insurance in India, when we visit our sons abroad. This is the fifth time we had taken the travel Insurance policy, paying a huge sum, since we fall in the 60+ and 70+ categories respectively.

It is all smooth talk and false promises, till the exchequer is handed out . The offer starts with the compensation for the loss of passport and goes on to "bringing back the mortal remains" of the Insured!

We had always taken the policy and by God's Grace did not have to undergo any treatment while in USA or file a claim for reimbursement, till our recent visit.

I developed severe tooth pain in June ( the middle of my six month's stay there from March to September). I put up with the pain shooting right into my brain ( so it seemed) for more than 6 weeks.

Firstly I did not want to disturb the busy routine of my sons and secondly I preferred to have the treatment done by my own dentist, after returning to India.

But when the pain became too much to bear and when I has to spend sleeplessness nights, I decided to have the tooth looked into,

The filling done in India had got fractured; the tooth had got infected and it had spread to the neighboring teeth also.

The fractured filling was removed and the cavity was refilled again. I decided to attend to the other teeth after landing in India.

Scores of reports, receipts, doctor's comments, case history, scan of the X ray, photo taken with the oral camera (and I lose count of all the things needed to prove that I got treated there) were submitted through e mail and also by speed post!

Now even part of the huge amount shelled by us in U.S.D will not be reimbursed - as it was a pre-existing condition.

Personally I feel that everything except DEATH, can be proved to be a pre-existing condition.

If I had gone to USA in March, with a tooth ache, only then it could be called as a preexisting condition.

So we could get not even a rupee from what we had paid towards our Insurance policies.

Well, if it is always going to be one way traffic ( from us to them ) and never the other way, why we should go for a policy in India?

I had heard reports that these policies carry no weight in USA. I had strongly defended them and now I have learnt the lesson the hard way.

A word of advice to the future travelers.

Never take the insurance policy here in India!

It is better to pay a little more in USA where you will be entitled to complete coverage.

It will save you the strain of shelling the medical expenses in U.S.D,
the tons of useless paper work, hundreds of phone calls and the finally the utter disappointment.

V. R.

dear visa,

i am 60 myself, and i can only rue at your experience With heart pangs at being felt cheated.

In the the world of insurance the company ALWAYS wins. To tell you the truth, I know so many visitors who came here, all with what they believed was covered insurance, and fortunately none of them had the experience to claim. Deep in my heart I knew that they would be hassled if they ever went for a claim.

One of my wife’s cousins, who used to come several times a year, recently retired and made a private visit. Hence deprived of the platinum company coverage. When queried he told me a ridiculously low figure he paid for the insurance (something like 2000 ruppees for a couple of months) and underwritten by one of the top Indian companies.

When my parents (Gold Bless they have long left this earth) visited me, and the same with my inlaws, we used to take the visitor’s insurance from a local company here. It was a hope that they would be more fair in judging about ‘pre existing’ conditions and where warranted will reimburse. Again we had no occasion to request for reimbursements.

One of my extended relatives visited their son in san Francisco. Sure enough he had a heart attack, and need extensive medical care, before expiring in sfo. Not sure which insurance he had purchased, but it was deemed pre existing because he had a heart attack some years ago. the wife came back to india and had to sell their apartment to help the son pay the bills. Cruel world.

Personally I think, they will cover, without a blink of an eye, instances such as accidents, broken bones (though if you are osteoporofic, I don’t know what they will do). I would think tooth aches would be covered. a relative of mine (gosh it seems like everyone is here) has teeth which are deteriorating, and she plans to remove them all and fit dentures during next visit to india. Too expensive in the u.s. and she does not want to pass on the expense to her son, even though he is a dotcom multi millionaire.

Please take care.

Dear Mr. Kunjuppu,

It is not just about feeling cheated.

Everyday we were asked for some thing- an X ray, a report, a receipt, a photo, a certificate, a case history...

I thought that it was their way of making us feel exhausted that we ourselves will opt out of the claim.

After the wild goose chase which lasted for more than two months, this is their verdict.

Want to make easy money?

Become a politician / open an educational Institution/ enter cinema.

Now the first position is taken up by the so called reliable insurance companies, pushing the other three options behind.

At the rate of 30 K per person, for 3 months, what will be the collection for the plane loads of people flying all the time?

The whole episode turned sore by their attitude which matched their actions!

I just wanted to warn my gullible brothers and sisters, so that they may NOT be taken on a similar ride in the future, by the Insurance companies.

with warm regards,
V.R.

Last edited:
Dear friends,
You may share your experiences where you were officially looted or cheated by the big hands-controlling businesses-in this thread!
with warm regards,
V.R.

Dear friends,
You may share your experiences where you were officially looted or cheated by the big hands-controlling businesses-in this thread!
with warm regards,
V.R.

Dear Mrs. Visalakshi Ramani,

I agree with the points raised by your good self. In India, all Insurance coverages are for statuary obligation or tax savings only. When we travel outside our Country, we are in the dark regarding the Medical expenses. Knowingly we go for insurance coverage. But tell me, what is the next best option please?
Regards,
Brahmanyan.

Dear Mr. Brahmanyan,

Insurance is taken with the hope that in case something goes wrong we will something to fall back up on.

But it is not going to be the case, the next best solution is take it where it has some value, where it will keep its promise and where it is more reliable.

I just wanted to share my ordeal so that gullible people like us will be forewarned.

The rest of the story rests in God's hands.

with warm regards,
V.R.

One school of political scientist perceive the state and govt. as an essential evil.

Dear friends,

The nets are spread and kept ready. Funny that I should notice these two ads only today!

Instant Travel Policy in 3 Mins. No CheckUp, No Paperwork. Buy Now!

Get 180 days Overseas medical cover loss of Baggage/Passport. Buy Now

"Money Minters!"... to say the least!

V.R.

Last edited:
Dear friends,

I had a discussion with an the insurance agent-who also happens to be a family friend.

I was startled to learn from him this piece of information!

If a person takes medical Insurance (for use in India) and he is later diagnosed to suffer from some disease- which is supposed to have started earlier to the date of Insurance- the policy WILL not cover the medical expenses incurred in the treatment.

So whether knowingly or unknowingly we suffer from any problem prior to the date if Insuring, the money goes down the drain (as far as we are concerned).

I am sure there will be corresponding rules for the problems developed after the date of insuring.

What i have found out is just the tip of the ice berg.

Will Knowledgeable persons come forward to throw light on this important issue affecting the majority of the Insurers.

with warm regards,
V.R.

Last edited:
The most popular question in any crowded place will be,
"Is there a doctor in the house?"

I modify the question to ask,
"Is there an Insurance man in the Forum?"

Dear Smt.Visalakshi Ramani,
Recently I saw a pamphlet kept in a daily Newspaper received in our house.
I reproduce the contents for the benefit of members.
MEDICLAIM FOR SENIOR CITIZENS
(FROM NATIONAL INSURANCE COMPANY LTD.)
AGE GROUP: FRESH ENTRY : 61 to 80 years
RENEWAL : 81 to 90 YEARS
SUM INSURED: SECTION I: Rs 1 lakh
SECTION II: Rs.2 Lakhs. (CRITICAL ILLNESS)
CRITICAL ILLNESS:
1.CORONORY ARTERY SURGERY 2. CANCER 3.RENAL FAILURE(i.e) FAILURE OF BOTH KIDNEYS 4.STROKE 5. MULTIPLESCIEROSIS 6.MAJOR ORGAN TRANSPLANTS LIKE KIDNEY,
LUNG, PANCREAS OR BONE MARROW
7. PARALYSIS AND BLINDNESS AT EXTRA PREMIUM(15% LOADING FOR ONE
AND 25%FOR BOTH)
PRE EXISTING HYPERTENSION,DIABETES CAN BE COVERED.
EXISTING DISEASES COVERAGE AFTER ONE YEAR.(INCOME TAX EXEMPTION.)
CALL FOR TRAVEL INSURANCE ALSO.
FOR FURTHER DETAILS PLEASE CALL : GANESH 92832 40974
You may call this person and get all clarifications you may like to seek.
P.S.I personally do not know this person.

Last edited:
Dear Mr. B.K.M,

Thank you for the mail with all important information. I am sure it will benefit many of our brothers and sisters in this Forum.

Thank you for the pain you have taken in typing and posting the long list.

with warm regards,
V.R.

vias,

the insurance companies are there to make a profit. not to take care of your health. the same goes for auto insurance in the usa or canada.

when i rent a car, i ask them, how much it takes per day, that if i hit someone, some one hits me, i total the car etc.. all the worst cases, and tell them that i can walk away without indemnities.

very often i pay that amount, knowing fully well, that i have been gouged, but in the comfort that in the worst cases, i can still walk away.

when we rent our health to the insurance companies, i think we should ask the same questions - and we will find the premiums far beyond what we can afford. no way can we win over the actuaries. otherwise they would be out of business and not exist.

best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back