• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

dr. ramakrishnan

Status
Not open for further replies.
What should I say?I am at a loss for words.

Can I take that there is a new pole star risen there for our community youngsters ?

So Great and So nice.

Kunjuppu ji, follow this and enlighten us more on this.

Dr Ramakrishnan is one of the co-awardees of 2009 Chemistry Nobel.

Salutations to this great indian.

DR Venkatraman Ramakrishnan

discussion_bot_bg1.gif

(b. 1952 in Chidambaram, Tamil Nadu)

Dr Venkatraman Ramakrishnan, known to most as "Venki," started out as a theoretical physicist. After graduate school, he designed his own 2-year transition from physics to biology. Then, as a postdoctoral fellow in the lab of Dr Peter Moore at Yale University, he worked on a neutron-scattering map of the small ribosomal subunit of E. coli. He has been studying ribosome structure ever since.
In the August 26, 2000 issue of Nature, Dr Ramakrishnan and his coworkers published the structure of the small ribosomal subunit of Thermus thermophilus, a heat-stable bacterium related to one found in the Yellowstone hot springs. With this 5.5 Angstrom-resolution structure, Dr Ramakrishnan's group identified key portions of the RNA and, using previously determined structures, positioned seven of the subunit's proteins.

Last edited:
It is heartening to know that a person of Chidambaram origin is a co-winner of nobel prize for chemistry.

Our best wishes for Dr.Venkataraman Ramakrishnan

not bad...

3 out of 7 winners of nobel prize of indian origin are our own in the bloodline sense..

raman

chandrasekhar

ramakrishnan

oh well.. let it not be a fuel for jingoistic boasting. we are far more mature than that.

compared to the scottish, whose population in scotland is just the same as our number (two million or so)... who have won so many nobels..

let us start the long trek to beating the world's best...

it will take time.. but can be done i guess..

what dr venky's bio shows.. is that one does not need to attend iit or iisc to get the nobel.

it takes committment, a sense of vocation and hard work.

also, to note, there are 3 countries claiming pride in his achievement

our own bharat, the u.s.a. for developing his skillsets and granting his citizenship, and the u.k. for providing him the lab environment to attain the zenith... truly a global achievement :)

God Bless

when it comes to people like raman, chandrashekhar and ramakrishnan, all boasting is very-very justified :) when else does one get the opportunity to celebrate such people..

hopefully someday perhaps, the numbers will match or overtake the scots.

someday who knows, god willing, an alumni from the school started by shri venkataramani ji might produce a nobel lauraete.

what a wonderful achievement by dr.ramakrishnan.

About Dr. Venkatraman Ramakrishnan:

His first name is Venkatraman (called Venki) and last name is Ramakrishnan (obviously must be his father's name, since we do not use proper surnames.)
I came to know of this thru a special flash service yesterday but forgot to post it.

He is 57 years old, a US citizen and living in England. He was born in Chidambaram, Tamil Nadu.

From the biography:

Venkatraman Ramakrishnan was Born in 1952, Ramakrishnan earned his B.Sc. in Physics (1971) from Baroda University in Gujarat and later migrated to the US to continue his studies where he later got settled and attained US citizenship.

He earned his Ph.D in Physics from Ohio University in the US and later worked as a graduate student at the University of California from 1976-78.

During his stint at the varsity, Ramakrishnan conducted a research with Dr Mauricio Montal, a membrane biochemist and later designed his own 2-year transition from physics to biology.

As a postdoctoral fellow at Yale University, he worked on a neutron-scattering map of the small ribosomal subunit of E Coli. He has been studying ribosome structure ever since.

Ramakrishnan, now a senior scientist at the MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology in Cambridge has authored several important papers in academic journals.

In the August 26, 2000 issue of Nature, Ramakrishnan and his co-workers published the structure of the small ribosomal subunit of Thermus thermophilus, a heat-stable bacterium related to one found in the Yellowstone hot springs.

Except President of India, no body has even congradulated Dr.Venky. The politics in India has reached to such a low level that they don't want to identify with him since he is a Tamil Brahmin.

Probably our politicians are shocked to hear such a news.

Dr.Venky is not an Indian Citizen but a person of Indian origin. But when Amartya sen won the nobel prize every body came forward to felicitate him.

Last edited:
வெங்கட்ராமன் சிதம்பரத்தில் பிறந்த சுத்தமான தமிழ் பிராமணன்.கண்டிப்பாய் பிராமணர்கள் எல்லோரும் பெருமைப்பட வேண்டிய விஷயம்.முதலில் இந்தியனாக, பிறகு ஹிந்துவாக , பிறகு பிராமணனாக, பிறகு தமிழனாகப் பெருமை சேர்த்த விதத்தை நாம் பாராட்டித் தான் ஆக வேண்டும்.இந்தியா 125 கோடி ஜனத்தொகை கொண்ட நாடு.அவரின் இளமைக் காலத்தில் 60 கோடி இருந்திருக்கலாம்.ஜாதி, மத துவேஷத்தைத் தாண்டி,இந்தப் பிராமணன் பெருமை சேர்த்திருக்கிறார்.

நோபல் பரிசு பெற்றவுடனேயே கேம்பிரிட்ஜ் பல்கலைக்கழகத்துக்குத் தான் நன்றி சொல்லி இருக்கிறார்.புரிகிறது.இந்தியன் எக்ஸ்பிரஸில் வந்த விமர்சனங்களில், ஒரு சிலர் இந்தியாவிற்கு அதனால் என்ன பெருமை என்று கேட்டிருக்கின்றனர்!

அவர் இந்தியாவில் படிப்பினைத் தொடர்ந்திருந்தால் அவ்வளவு சீக்கிரம் இந்தப் பெருமையை அடைந்திருப்பாரா என்பது கேள்விக் குறி தான்!

மொழிகளில் ஆங்கிலத்தில் புலமை பெற்றிருந்தால் அது ஒரு கௌரவம்.திரைப்படங்கள் ஆஸ்கார் வென்றால் அது கௌரவம்.அது போல் இவரைப் போன்ற அறிவு ஜீவிகள் நோபல் பரிசு வென்றால் அது கௌரவம்.இந்தியாவில் அடிப்படைக் கல்வி படித்து முடித்தவுடன் அடுத்த இலக்கு அமெரிக்கா என்று ஆகி விட்டது.

அதனாலேயே மற்றவர்களெல்லாம் அறிவு ஜீவிகள் இல்லை என்று கணக்கிட முடியாது தான்.அவர்களுக்கு அந்த வாய்ப்பு இல்லை.அல்லது, மேலை நாடுகள் ஒருவனைக் கௌரவிப்பதனாலேயே அது கௌரவமும் கிடையாது.

இது காலத்தால், எல்லோருடைய தலையிலும் திணிக்கப்பட்ட அடையாளமும் கூட.

இசையமைப்பாளர்,ரகுமான் ஆஸ்கார் விருது பெற்றதும், அதனை இந்தியாவிற்கு அர்ப்பணிக்கிறேன் என்று சொன்னதாக நினைவு.(அல்லது அதற்கு முன் பெற்ற விருதோ?)

அதே போல், இந்த வெங்கட்ராமன் எடுத்தவுடனேயே அமெரிக்காவில் நுழைந்து விடவில்லை.இந்தியாவில் அடித்தளம் அமைத்துக் கொண்டு பின் அங்கிருந்து தான் இந்த அங்கீகாரம் பெற்றிட முயன்று அதில் வெற்றியும் கண்டிருக்கிறார்.

வாழ்த்துக்கள்.அதே சமயம், இவர் இந்தியாவையும் நன்றியுடன் நினைத்துக் கொள்வார் என்று நம்பி வைக்கிறேன்.

Being a Chidhambaram born Bramin, let me congratulate him thorugh this forum first.First, he is of Indian origin,then a hindu, then a bramin and then a tamilan. Let us remember this.

On attaining this feat, he immediately thanked cambridge university.Understood. But let us hope he does recognise and acknowledge his mother country , India, for laying foundation to achieve this.

India's current population is 125 crores and in his student days, may be 60 crores. Still crossing over all the hurdles and discrimination , be it caste, religion or anything, he has achieved elsewhere.

People feel proud to attain proficiency and expertise in English, film makers to win Oscar, and the learned this Nobel Prize. They vie to rush to America, once they finish their basic education in India.All the products of west.

Whether, it is true recognition or not, just because other under privileged could not get this western product, it does not mean they are less Intelligent; for they may be deprived of their due opportunities.

Still, given that, being a bramin I feel proud of him.

Like A R Rahman, I just wish Venkatraman dedicates this Nobel Prize to India, his origin, where he did his primaries!

Congrats!

Last edited by a moderator:
Except President of India, no body has even congradulated Dr.Venky.....
Dr.Venky is not an Indian Citizen but a person of Indian origin.

A Person of Indian Origin is as good as an Indian citizen.

Dr.VR has kept in touch with his alma mater, and his people in India. His parents live in India.

If a person from Tamilnadu has won a Nobel prize, the first person who shd congratulate him officially is the chief minister of the state. What is MuKa doing?

DR Venkatraman Ramakrishnan

Let me join others in Congratulating the Nobel Laurette Dr. "Venki" Venkatraman Ramakrishnan, a Tamil Brahmin from Chidambaram, on his meritorious achievements in Molecular Biology for which he has been awarded the 2009 Nobel Prize in Chemistry along with Thomas A Steitz and Ada Yonath.

"The Ramakrishnans came to Vadodara, then Baroda in 1955 and stayed on the Campus. They were God fearing academicians and were followers of Kanchi Shankaracharya." (Deccan Chronicle, Bangalore)

Regards,
Brahmanyan.

Last edited:
Person of Indian Origin is as good as Indian. I fully accept that. If he has continued in India, he could not have achieved this. Like his parents, he may be teaching in a college, drawing poor salaries and probably struggling to manage day to day finances. He migrated to a better environment and achieved it. He has rightly acknowledged the people who worked with him to achieve this.

Due to the discrimination here, we would have lost several Raman, Chandrasekar and Venky. It is high time our youngsters migrate to other countries and continue to do fundamental research.

Like A R Rahman, I just wish Venkatraman dedicates this Nobel Prize to India, his origin, where he did his primaries! A R Rahman's father is a TB.

nobel

i think this community should be proud of such achievement by Dr.V.Ramakrishnan. Baroda / Gujarat is joyous and people have burst crackers (Diwali ahead of schedule ) on the streets. Hmmmm... what about er.. Madras/Chennai? any noise from the politicos!!
I salute this achievement.
pranam & regards
eswaran

i think this community should be proud of such achievement by Dr.V.Ramakrishnan. Baroda / Gujarat is joyous and people have burst crackers (Diwali ahead of schedule ) on the streets. Hmmmm... what about er.. Madras/Chennai? any noise from the politicos!!
I salute this achievement.
pranam & regards
eswaran

Except some news item, there is no celebration in Tamilnadu. So much of hatred has spread here. When HH Jayendra Saraswathi was arrested, there was so much of celebrations here. I request all the members to understand the ground realities here.

Even last year Dr.Venky has visited Chennai, addressed at Madras University and attended carnatic music programs.

It is hightime, we have to take care of our community, particularly poor and downtrodden, and not bother about the rest. We have to encourage our youngsters to migrate out of this place.

So far I have spent my whole life in Tamilnadu. Both my sons have migrated outside India. My daughter has also migrated out of Tamilnadu for her under graduation degree and I would like to ensure that she also migrates out of India.

We are not the losers. Like Dr.Venky could achieve his dreams because he migrated out of India long back. Let us follow his foot steps

For inference

FOR YOUR INFERENCE .......

C V Ramakrishnan is so excited about his son’s achievement that he does not want to talk about how his own exit from Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda was very bitter. An accomplished academic, the senior Ramakrishnan and his wife Rajalakshmi had founded the department of biochemistry in MSU, Vadodara in 1955.

Retired dean of home science faculty Dr Amita Verma, who knew the family well, says, ‘‘They were a brilliant couple, but there were some differences’’. Apparently some PhD students had complained against the Ramakrishnans and an inquiry was instituted against them at the behest of some political leaders.

Ramakrishnan told TOI from Seattle, ‘‘The main trouble in Vadodara was that I did not go with the politicians and went by merit, so some students created a problem, but all these students are close to me now.’’ According to sources, professor Ramakrishnan was awarding one scholarship to two students to encourage students to take up research because in those days the number of scholarships as well as the amount was low.

Retired pro-V-C of MSU Professor Sharad Sabnis who was in the inquiry committee to probe complaints against Ramakrishnan, said, ‘‘There should be no doubt that he was an extremely good scientist and internationally acclaimed teacher, and the inquiry was purely administrative’’

Venkatraman Ramakrishnan left Vadodara almost four decades ago. But, it’s a city he could never forget. From helping girls of the minority community affected in the 2002 riots to lecturing at the MS University, where he studied as an undergraduate, Venky has kept the links alive. He even inquires about the old servant at his house whenever he calls friends here.

When Venky heard that the riots had left Professor JS Bandukwala of MSU’s physics department distressed, with mobs attacking his house here, he asked him to leave Vadodara and join him in Seattle.

So concerned was he that Venky helped Bandukwala in a programme he ran for the welfare and education of Muslim girl students. ‘‘He used to send cheques to me regularly for financing the education of such underprivileged girls,’’ said Bandukwala.

In fact, Bandukwala is one of the few persons who has kept in touch with the scientist until very recently on a personal level even as others had academic interactions with him. A couple of months back, the Nobel laureate had asked Bandukwala to visit him at Cambridge.

While Bandukwala joined the university soon after Venkatraman passed out, he had known him as the former was close to Venkatraman’s father CV Ramakrishnan. ‘‘Venky was always a person who liked to work in different fields and it is no wonder that he researched chemistry extensively after graduating in physics. His interest in science was total,’’ said Bandukwala.

But above all, Bandukwala said, Venkatraman was a thorough gentleman and a caring person. ‘‘He used to inquire about the servant, who used to take care of him when he stayed with his parents at the JM Hall on the university hostel campus,’’ he added.

Some of his teachers recall how Venkatraman had visited MSU to deliver a lecture on January 31, 2005, on ‘Biophysical approaches in deciphering the structure of molecular macromolecules and macromolecular complexes’. His teacher and retired professor Madhu Shah said she was proud that she attended a lecture of her student. ‘‘We are proud of him and he deserved it,’’ she said about Venkatraman bagging the Nobel Prize.

Last edited:
A Person of Indian Origin is as good as an Indian citizen.

Dr.VR has kept in touch with his alma mater, and his people in India. His parents live in India.

If a person from Tamilnadu has won a Nobel prize, the first person who shd congratulate him officially is the chief minister of the state. What is MuKa doing?

இவர்கள் எதிர்பார்த்திருக்க மாட்டார்கள்.பிராமணர்கள் என்றாலே மூட நம்பிக்கைகளின் குத்தகைதாரர்கள் என்று இறுமாப்பில் இருப்பவர்கள் தானே?

அவர் இத்தனைக்கும், அறிவியல் விஷயமாகத் தான் இந்த சாதனையைப் படைத்திருக்கிறார்.

அடுத்து கருணாநிதியின் அருகில் இருக்கும் இன்னொரு பிராமணன் எஸ்.வி.சேகர் என்ன செய்கிறார்?

These so called rationalists like MK, Veeramani would not have expected this achievement , that too by a bramin ,a community considered to be the embodiment of irrational and superstitious beliefs, and that too in Science.

By the way, what S.V. Sekhar another bramin , who is nowadays seen with Karunanithi , saying?

இவர்கள் எதிர்பார்த்திருக்க மாட்டார்கள்.பிராமணர்கள் என்றாலே மூட நம்பிக்கைகளின் குத்தகைதாரர்கள் என்று இறுமாப்பில் இருப்பவர்கள் தானே?

அவர் இத்தனைக்கும், அறிவியல் விஷயமாகத் தான் இந்த சாதனையைப் படைத்திருக்கிறார்.

அடுத்து கருணாநிதியின் அருகில் இருக்கும் இன்னொரு பிராமணன் எஸ்.வி.சேகர் என்ன செய்கிறார்?

These so called rationalists like MK, Veeramani would not have expected this achievement , that too by a bramin ,a community considered to be the embodiment of irrational and superstitious beliefs, and that too in Science.

By the way, what S.V. Sekhar another bramin , who is nowadays seen with Karunanithi , saying?

Prime Minister and Sonia Gandhi have congradulated Dr. Venky belatedly but both ruling and opposition in Tamilnadu have not yet come out of the shock.

The world will not be dark if a cat closes its eyes.

Nobody on earth could prevent the achievement of our community members.

If the caste based discrimination and bureaucratic hurdles are stopped in India, people will achieve great things right here in India itself.

All the best

A scientist of Indian origin has won the Nobel prize. Be happy about it and celebrate it. Why this wallowing in his Brahmin birth and the lack of celebration on the part of some for whom only thing of interest outside of their own personal lives is Tamil cinema? Methinks if Dr. V. Ramakrishnan had won the Oscar there would have been celebrations all over Chennai, even though he would have still carried the Brahmin tag.

Cheers!

Dr.Venkatraman Ramakrishnan (His parents used to call him as "Ambhi"-)is the son of Prof.C.V.Ramakrishnan former Prof and Head of the Department of Bio-Chemistry(who taught me Carbohydrate Metabolism-1961-1963) and Prof.R.Rajalakshmi,(who taught me Statitistics),in M.S.University of Baroda.--Prof.Rajalakshmi got her Ph.D.From Annamalai University(Chidhambaram-I think it is how the Chidambaram connection) under Prof.Ramanuchachari(brother of Dr.Applachachari-both brothers were Educationists).Ramanujachari's son Govindarajan was Prof.C.V.R's Student in 1962-64.I think madam's parents were from Gopalasamudram(Tirunelveli).Gopalasamudram seems to have "Connections" with X-Ray Crystallography-World famous "Ramachandran Plots"(Prof.GNR's Brain-child) and another X-ray-Crystallographer-Dr.Venkatraman Ramakrishnan.Both of them belong to the exclusive club of emeinent people like Profs-Linus Pauling-F.H.C.Crick & Co-Dorothy Hodgins(All noble Laureates-though Prof.GNR was NOT a Noble laureate--his "Plots" are read by all Crystallography Students all over the world.

Dr Venky should be an inspiration for our community, particularly our youngsters. We should not float on our laurels and should encourage our youngsters to emulate Dr.Venky. Sir C.V.Raman, Dr.Chandrasekar and Dr.Venky have done a great service to the humanity.

Only Sir C.V.Raman did his work from India and got the award. The other two have to go out of India to achieve their goals.

Still India is not doing fundamental research which is a very sad thing. Recently when IIT professors went on strike, some articles appeared in the newspapers that IITs have not produced a single nobel prize winner.

It is a sad state of affairs here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back