• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

doubts and clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Gopalankannan,

No offence meant by this reply. Assuming you just wear a official dress code to work but then you are required to wear a full suit for an important meeting outside, would you wear a veshti and shirt for the meeting? Or if you want to go for a dance party would you go in in a full suit? You can see even for the mundane everyday existence we would like to adhere to certain dress codes whether we like it or not. So why do you want to tamper with a time tested ritual like the Sandhya and play with its dress code? My advice is not to perform it rather than performing in whichever way we like.

Dear sir,
can we do sandhyavandanam in shirt and phant itself after washing hands and legs only, with only a tumbler of water. and if we perform late night after coming from office is it ok. can gayathri japam be performed in any place eve while travelling if we are not able to do the sandhi at that time. please clarify
G.Kannan
I would not advise to do it in shirt and trousers, but if inevitable, at least take off your shirt and do it in trousers (without any leather belts etc).

Washing hands and legs is ok to perform gayathri japam.

If you are unable to do japam during sandhi times, and if it is late, then there is a prayaschitta japam for that. Of course, the time delay should only be a little (say, a couple of hours) and such delay is not wanton. Late night is not ok.

This is the procedure:

Do the poorvabhagam, and after argyam to gayathri, do the kalatheetha prayaschittam;

Say - Kalatheetha prayaschithyargyam karishye

Do pranayamam

Do argyam once

Do an athmapradhakshinam with a little water in your palm, and do self-parisheshanam saying, Om Boorbuvassuvaha.

Then continue on your regular routine of the japam.

You can recite the gayathri mantra in your mind anytime, anywhere provided the atmosphere is conducive. But a ritualistic sandhyavandhanam is best avoided, if you cannot perform it properly.

Dear Mr. Anand b , Thanks for your reply noted the contents. i will adher to the dresscode created for the ritual but one thing that the dress codes are only man made. In the olden days there were no phant no shirt etc due to climatic conditions the dress also varies even now in cold countries the prohit comes with shirt only and perform the poojas. The divinity should be in the mind and not in the dress i feel.thatswhy i posted this question to the members to put before my views also. I think there is nothing harm in putting my thinking here. why not for a meeting if no dresscode is prescribed everybody can come in different dress. even MD/chairman comes in veshti as we can see in the advertisement of dhoties.

Yes as per sapthajihva suggestion, Kaaladeetha pryaschitarkyam can be given. Three times normal argya and then provide once more as kaalaadeeda prayaschitargya. You can do gayathri japam anywhere. But, doing sandhi with shirts should be avoidable. As anand said, there is a dresscode for everything. We should act accordingly.

Pranams

Dear all,

Thanks for the reply, i will adher to the dress code as prescribed, thanks a lot,
Also can you help me by posting the sloka "yadevi sarvabudeshu " ---durga sloka i want to recite the same everyday. I do not have the script

Thanks and regards G.kannan

dear all,
i am putting this question because i want feedback.
in the country which i stay it is compulsory for an non muslim to convert to islam when he or she desires to marry a muslim.
i have known many individuals who have done so but keep saying that they are still Hindu in heart even though outwardly they have to potray otherwise.
i personally do not condone such behaviour as i feel conversion from one religion to another is not right.
each should practise and respect each others religion and try to practice unity in diversity without conversion.
since the saying goes Ekam Eva Adviteeyam Brahman( God is one without a second) and Ekam Sat Viprah Bahuda Vadanti so I can safely deduce that when Sanathana Dharma is interperated differently, various religions arise.The Terminolgy Hinduism is man given as we are followers of the Universal Sanathana Dharma in its purest form. hence i do not agree with conversion and leading a dual life as one can only choose another religion when there is more than one option so totally not in accordance with Ekam Eva Adviteeyam Brahman.
kindly give me a feed back

Renuka Karthikeyan ji,

Please read the famous statement of Mahatma Gandhi `God has no religion'.

Inter religion marriages normally leads to such confusion. If it is a fanatic islamic country, then there is no choice except converting into Islam. Which faith children will follow. Hinduism, particularly Brahmin community will not take them back to Brahmin fold. On the contrary Islam will accept and there is not other choice but to embrace Islam.

All the best

i understand that God has no religion as i understand sanathana dharma is
universal but it is such actions of conversion to another religion but being another in heart actually correct because there is no cordination in thought, word and deed therefore Trikarana Suddhi is totally not practised.
i am not trying to be fanatical but who else thinks like a practitioner of sanathana dharma?
i totally agree with the following:
THERE IS ONLY ONE GOD AND HE IS OMNIPRESENT
THERE IS ONLY ONE CASTE THE CASTE OF HUMANITY
THERE IS ONLY ONE RELIGION, THE RELIGION OF LOVE

but how about preserving ones own religion and culture but at the same time respecting other cultures and religions,because by converting ,culture and practices are lost and adharma could prevail when there is confusion of practices.
i really appreciate your reply revered sir

Most of the inter-religion marriages involving Hindu on one side and Muslim/Christian on the other side ends up ultimately the couple and children embracing other religion. One of the problem is, there is no uniform command for the Hindu faith.

Arya Samaj is the only organisation within Hindu faith which accepts reconversion. If the couple so decide, let them get out of the fanatic islamic country, migrate to a more secular country and then get converted to our faith.

If the above is not possible, let the children be allowed to get out of the present country and follow their faith in a new secular country.

Personally I feel faith is an individual affair and there is no hard and fast rule. I strongly feel no sin will accumulate because externally one has embraced Islam and internally they fallow Sanathana Dharma.

All the best

venkat

i also feel that the present mindset among hindus is to shrink and keep within themselves.

not only TBs, but in many of these posts, i detect an undercurrent that other communities too do not want to mix and match.

whereas in islam and christianity, a new convert is treated like a jewel. the marriage is accepted and so are the children to that faith.

we have many white/indian intermarriages here in canada. many of the children are seen in the temples and appear very comfortable along with their brown skinned brethren.

also, atleast in the u.s./canada framework, i feel, that within a generation, most of us hindus, have shed the concept of jaathi absolutely, if not willingly.

this mainly due to the children, to whom caste made no sense.

people in india, i think, will change their attitudes. the sooner, it is done, i think, it is better.

thank you.

dear all,
i guess none of you have been exposed to a situation where what i had mentioned had occured.
i myself do not practice the caste system in a rigid manner as to differentiate and to discriminate because i fully understand that its is a practical socioeconomic division of the human race based on character and guna for the perfect harmony of society.
isnt the 4 fold varna system applied in every race in the world?
every religion gives most reverence to its spiritual leader be it a brahmana priest, a christian priest, imam, rabbi etc.
in Canada the intermarriage child can still choose to be a Hindu or any other religion but in the situation i had mentioned the Hindu who had intermarried can not practise any previous beliefs anymore and children can never at all learn about any other religion except the new found one and is brought up to believe that the newfound one is the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
no one else sees the unity in diversity except those who practice sanathana dharma.
the beauty of sanathana dharma is there is is no rigid rules and regulations in terms of compulsion but rather a soul searching journey in self inquiry and self realization. but this at times causes people to not take practices seriously and allow it to perish and lose the route in the journey of self discovey by calling themselves secular and open minded.

Dear Renuka Kartikeyan Ji,

dear all,
i guess none of you have been exposed to a situation where what i had mentioned had occured.
i myself do not practice the caste system in a rigid manner as to differentiate and to discriminate because i fully understand that its is a practical socioeconomic division of the human race based on character and guna for the perfect harmony of society.
isnt the 4 fold varna system applied in every race in the world?

No i don't think so...the human race has had, or has been having, class based divisions of various kinds that may not be comparable to the varna system...

every religion gives most reverence to its spiritual leader be it a brahmana priest, a christian priest, imam, rabbi etc.

yes, but they are not based by birth in other religions. Anyone who feels inclined as such can go to study to bcome an imam or a christian priest...

in Canada the intermarriage child can still choose to be a Hindu or any other religion but in the situation i had mentioned the Hindu who had intermarried can not practise any previous beliefs anymore and children can never at all learn about any other religion except the new found one and is brought up to believe that the newfound one is the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
no one else sees the unity in diversity except those who practice sanathana dharma.
the beauty of sanathana dharma is there is is no rigid rules and regulations in terms of compulsion but rather a soul searching journey in self inquiry and self realization. but this at times causes people to not take practices seriously and allow it to perish and lose the route in the journey of self discovey by calling themselves secular and open minded.

not sure how secularism comes into the pic in the scenario of self inquiry...

your point

Renuka Karthikeyan ji,

Please read the famous statement of Mahatma Gandhi `God has no religion'.

Inter religion marriages normally leads to such confusion. If it is a fanatic islamic country, then there is no choice except converting into Islam. Which faith children will follow. Hinduism, particularly Brahmin community will not take them back to Brahmin fold. On the contrary Islam will accept and there is not other choice but to embrace Islam.

All the best
RV Sir, You say that "particularly brahmin community will not take them back to brahmin fold" How do you say so?. Can you please quote which Hindu Sastra says so?. How authentic it is?. This is just for my understanding. Not to be mistaken as to question you!!!
Kind Regards

Yes i stand by RV ji....
Inter religion marriages always leads to confusion as can be seen in practical life... But not at the time of marriage....
Right from the admission of their kids in the school till their marriage, practical problems are faced by them.....

hence before inter-religion or inter-caste marriage, one has to think twice or thrice the future and act accordingly...

Yes there are authetic scriptures to become a brahmin.... If u happen to read dharma sastra, brihu sastras in this regard Mr. drsundaram Ji..... U can get the authentication for brahmin fold...

Sorry for interference.....Thanks and regards to all.....(this reply is not to hurt others)
swaminatha sharmaji, thanks for reverting. RVji is clear in stating that after an intercaste marriage such erstwhile brahmin will not be accepted into Brahmin back. I am eager to learn from which exact sastra it can be inferred. Can you give me the correct leads in internet so that I will go there read and understand. RV sir also please guide me in this direction.
Thanks to RV sir and SSharma sir.
drsundaram

swami,

please sir, you are not hurting anyone. we are exchanging ideas here. please also, do not consider that i am hurting to you.

i have similar queries like drs. swami, you are bringing a different perspective on current social phenomenon.

not that discussing this, will change the way the world is going. at the most, it might help us reconcile the various paths, and arrive if not at acceptance of the new, atleast an acknowledgement of the same.

swami it is all well and good re reference to the scriptures re intermarraige between castes. i guess there were no inter marriage between religions at that time.

at the time of the scriptures, apparently, we had sharp divisions in society. i do not want to go into anthropological analysis or merits of caste hierarchy.

in olden days, to the best of my knowledge, activities and vocations were sharply defined, and each caste stuck to its own prescribed function. not sure how it all started, and it does not matter.

what matters was that these divisions solidified, and perhaps, i think, if you go through the family tree for a thousand years, the entire family would have practised the same profession.

the separation of castes was complete, not only in terms of professions, but also where they lived and how they treated each other.

along with it, the place of the brahmins at the top of the hierarchy, with very said expectations of the brahmins re religious leadership, practices and non interference in the secular worldly affairs.

with the onset of the 20th century, the brahmins broke these rules. we moved on to professions which were newly created and not even thought of at the time of scriptures. and increasingly so.

so too are the other castes.

today's TBs, i think, we can safely say, shun the priest/teaching profession for various reasons. which is ok.

so do other castes and religions. that is ok too.

we are seeing increasing mingling of castes, on the job and social front.

for example, i can relate to someone with similar interests and job background, from another caste or community, than a TB who is a priest or a doctor.

socio economic factors are now playing a larger part in the decisions of people as to where to live, where to take vacations, which jobs to apply and above all, a sense of clubhood.

should these factors also not be taken into account, along with the scriptures' guidance re inter caste marriages.

swami, i do not mean to hurt any feelings. please treat these queries gently.

what i am trying to do, is to find some reconcilation between the old and the new. there must be some bridges built here, i think.

there should be meeting points. one cannot have exclusive old values for some aspects, and switch to conveniently new values when it suits us for other purposes.

i do not think this is a fair and equitable way of dealing with life's challenges. should we not set a uniform standard all along?

thank you sir.

ps.. one residual thought that keeps knocking at the back of my mind is the word 'prejudice'.

prejudice is our boundary, i think, and defines ourselves. even more, it defines, what we are not. prejudice, today has a bad connotation, which i think, need not necessarily be so.

we can talk about that another time.

thanks again sir.

Namaste All
I am going back to the start of this thread.
Now in many Airports they have a prayer room.Where the devout Muslims can perform their namaz/But what about us
About 2 years ago it was eaarly morning and I was transiting in London Airport.There I saw a member of our comminity sans shoes but with his shirt and trousers on and doing his Sandyavandanam with a tumbler in plastic.If all of us do that then our community cannot be stopped.

To RV sir, a good reply, I found in viruthunagar and sivakasi a particular community allows intercaste marriage and follows both tradations without any itch. because broadmind and their faith in their community setup. They wanted only from their community not from other community. srk.

A small correction read as " inter religion". Once I was travel in a train and I found one TB collage Boy was performing 3 times santhiyavanthans and 6 to 7 other TB boys cutting jokes about his Brahminical duties. I felt very bad and asked about that the Boys reply was this "Why should I shame to tell as a Brahmin and dont wanted to leave my customs. I am not fell any guilty about their comments. s.r.k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back