• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Doubt on Saayam Sandhyavandanam

Namaskarams. Can someone please clarify the directions of doing Saayam Sandhyavandanam ? Googling is so confusing and I thought of taking some help here.

I understand (?) that we should not be doing achaman facing west ? If so which parts of Saayam sandhyam to be facing North and West.

Regards
I am no authority but I have learnt that you do Aachmaneeyam facing North initially and continue till you offer Arghyam facing West. Next, Deva tharpanam is also offered facing West. Gayathri Japam is done facing West. My answers only pertain to Saayam Sandhyavandhanam. I just checked my book as well before writing this to confirm!

Ram Ramachandran

I am no authority but I have learnt that you do Aachmaneeyam facing North initially and continue till you offer Arghyam facing West. Next, Deva tharpanam is also offered facing West. Gayathri Japam is done facing West. My answers only pertain to Saayam Sandhyavandhanam. I just checked my book as well before writing this to confirm!

Ram Ramachandran
Thank you sir. This is how I am doing now, not knowing whether this is correct
1. Aachamaneeyam , pranayaman, sankalpam, - North
2. Abo hishta mayo bhvaga - North
3. Agnicha ma manyucha alone - West
4. Aachamaneeyam - North
5. Abo hishta mayo bhvaga - North
6. Argyam - West
7. Navagraha tharpanam - West
8. Aachamaneeyam before gayathri
9. everything follows - West
10. Final Aachamaneeyam - North

Do sandhya vandhanam as you are doing in the morning facing east.for saayam sandhya vandhanm do all facing north. start japam facing west and finish it, do achamanam facing north.

There are different versions. It seems Andhra people do achamanam also facing west. Brahmmasri

Seshadrinatha Sastrigal in a video clarified that​

a When achamanam is alone is to be done, we have to observe the direction rule viz. only East or North Facing.

b. When achamanam is treated as inbuilt prayogam of any ritual, then it can be done facing that directions of other prayogams.

c. In case of apara karyam, rituals are done facing South and hence there is no need to turn North to perform Achamanam.

d. Achamanam is a part of Sayam Sandhyavandhanam, and hence achamanam during sayam sandhyavanthanam can be done facing West.,

Just wrote what I heard and I do not know answer for your doubt which can be clarified by scholars.

Do sandhya vandhanam as you are doing in the morning facing east.for saayam sandhya vandhanm do all facing north. start japam facing west and finish it, do achamanam facing north.
Sorry Mama
It seems is a gap of few seconds between your post and my previous one. I could notice your msg only after my above post.

As per Sama Veda sayam sandhyavandanam, except achamanams (done towards North) everything else is facing West. Dik devata vandanam will start from West, Yama vandanam should be to South, Harihara vandanam (Rtam Satyam...) facing North, otherwise all West facing only.

Latest ads

Back