• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Don't we all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was parked in front of the mall wiping off my car. I had just come from the car wash and was waiting for my wife to get out of work. Coming my way from across the parking lot was what society would consider a bum. From the looks of him, he had no car, no home, no clean clothes, and no money. There are times when you feel generous but there are other times that you just don't want to be bothered. This was one of those "don't want to be bothered times." "I hope he doesn't ask me for any money," I thought. He didn't. He came and sat on the curb in front of the bus stop but he didn't look like he could have enough money to even ride the bus. After a few minutes he spoke. "That's a very pretty car," he said. He was ragged but he had an air of dignity around him. His scraggly blond beard keeps more than his face warm.
I said, "Thanks," and continued wiping off my car.
He sat there quietly as I worked. The expected plea for money never came. As the silence between us widened something inside said, "Ask him if he needs any help." I was sure that he would say "yes" but I held true to the inner voice.
"Do you need any help?" I asked.
He answered in three simple but profound words that I shall never forget. We often look for wisdom in great men and women. We expect it from those of higher learning and accomplishments.
I expected nothing but an outstretched grimy hand. He spoke the three words that shook me. "Don't we all?" he said.
I was feeling high and mighty, successful and important, above a bum in the street, until those three words hit me like a twelve gauge shotgun. Don't we all?
I needed help. Maybe not for bus fare or a place to sleep, but I needed help. I reached in my wallet and gave him not only enough for bus fare, but enough to get a warm meal and shelter for the day. Those three little words still ring true. No matter how much you have, no matter how much you have accomplished, you need help too. No matter how little you have, no matter how loaded you are with problems, even without money or a place to sleep, you can give help. Even if it's just a compliment, you can give that. You never know when you may see someone that appears to have it all. They are waiting on you to give them what they don't have. A different perspective on life, a glimpse at something beautiful, a respite from daily chaos that only you through a torn world can see. Maybe the man was just a homeless stranger wandering the streets. Maybe he was more than that. Maybe he was sent by a power that is great and wise, to minister to a soul too comfortable in them.
Maybe God looked down, called an Angel, dressed him like a bum, and then said, "Go minister to that man cleaning the car, that man needs help."
Don't we all?

I've had many personal experience here in London with homeless peopl eor tramps as we call them asking for a couple of pennies. I always oblige them. Many people don't and i'm not sure why. They usually spend it on a pint...sadly. Oh well..

Yes, Amala, many people don't give them pennies because they spend it on a pint! But I have seen people who give them food i.e. buy them some burgers etc. The homeless people do accept them!

This reminds me of an interesting incident a few years back! I was on the train commuting to work. Since I didn't have time to have breakfast at home and I usually don't have time once when at work, I was eating my lebanese wrap (lebanese bread with fillings inside) on the train.

There was this guy sitting opposite to me on the train with shabby clothes and very unclean (homeless!?). He kept staring at me and then asked me for money and I replied (which was true, I had only a 20 and 50 note) that I did not have change/coins. Then he asked me to give him some of my food! I was taken aback for a moment but the next moment I took off the bit I was eating and gave him the rest!

Sure, homelessness is a problem even in Western countries!

Kind regards

Last edited:
Thanks for the wonderful reminder srinikarthik...it is a virtue to help someone, but I am always moved by Mother Theresa's unconditional love for the children she worked for. Her humanness and sheer want to help those unfortunate children at any cost creates goosebumps in me...read this...

"One day Mother Teresa went to a local bakery to ask for bread for the starving children in the orphanage. The baker, outraged at people begging for bread from him, spat in her face and refused. Mother Teresa calmly took out her handkerchief, wiped the spit from her face and said to the baker, “Okay, that was for me. Now what about the bread for the orphans?”
The baker, shamed by her response, gave her the bread she wanted."
Amazing Grace in Mother Teresa | luchdelmonte

If only I had one hundredth of her love for humanity.......

Have a wonderful weekend folks.....

.... but I am always moved by Mother Theresa's unconditional love for the children she worked for...
This is the stuff legends are made of, some are urban legends, others are tall tales that we tell each other.

For the other side of this saint, please read The Missionary Position. Read both sides and decide for yourself.

Cheers!

Well Mother Teresa did her fair share of Manava Seva but I often wondered why she converted the poor to Christianity and why not let them continue their own faith.

I know a person here who runs a home for orphaned children and poor kids.He shelters children from various religious backgrounds and make sure that they receive their religious teachings.(He is a Hindu BTW.)

Hindu children are taken to temple every week for prayers and lessons and Christian children are taken to church for Sunday prayers and lessons.

I somewhat hold him with a high regard.

It was Sathya Sai who said 'the hands that help are holier than the lips that pray'. I dont profess to be an authority of work done by Mother Theresa nor a scholar in Hinduism. But I dont think when Mother Theresa carried those poor children and begged for food, it was the ulterior intention of converting these children to Christianity that drove her to feed them but it was the love she had for the humanity and despair to save a child from brink of death . I am sure during her time, there were hundreds of Hindu saints, gurus and cult heads who penanced in the mountains, chose to hide in ashrams and practiced 'silence' but less likely took care of their fellow humans. Mankind more often chooses to seek out the evils in human beings than pick out the goodness in them; we have not spared Lord Rama, Ramnuja, and even Mahatma; we fail to see the apparent; in our own times, we elect cut throats, soulless scum bags and corrupt to the core politicians time and time again to lead us but fail to see the warmth and unbound love with which one person serves the others. If I have to judge her, I salute her for every tear she wiped from a poor child, if not for her, who knows how many of them would have turned to be the very same politicians we are fighting agains!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back