• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Do Dreams Have Meaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sri Ramanujacharya, Swami Sivananda Andal,Vivekananda,Mathematical Genius Ramanujan,Abraham Lincoln,Paul Mc Cartney, Kekule, Mothers of Mahavira, Budhdha,Ramakrishna, Vivekananda, Vallabhacharya and several others talk about their mysterious dreams. In what way the Hindus differ from the interpretation of Sigmund Freud? is explained in the newly posted article in my blog section.
Do you have any personal experience?

Sri Ramanujacharya, Swami Sivananda Andal,Vivekananda,Mathematical Genius Ramanujan,Abraham Lincoln,Paul Mc Cartney, Kekule, Mothers of Mahavira, Budhdha,Ramakrishna, Vivekananda, Vallabhacharya and several others talk about their mysterious dreams. In what way the Hindus differ from the interpretation of Sigmund Freud? is explained in the newly posted article in my blog section.

Oh yes..I remember one day before my husband came to view me(I was not married yet that time..in fact I didnt even know about a mappilai going to come to view me that day..only the last minute I got to know from my dad) Ok back to the story..the night before I had a dream that I was in a temple facing a Ganesh idol and a priest was handing me over honey and milk which was oozing from the idol and also gave me a purple colored orchid flower.

I was wondering what the dream meant.Ok later part of the day..I got to know a mappilai is coming to see me and then during the time my husband came to view me he told me that his Ishta Dev is Ganesha and his favorite flower is purple orchid.

Then the dream rang a bell. I was thinking "Oh Ok..Ganesh must be recommending his Bhaktha here" and then since I liked my husband I said yes.

After marriage I told him the dream and my husband was happy to hear it but I asked him..."did you dream of any devata recommending me to you before you saw me?"
He said "nope..no such dream..I guess God didnt need to convince me to marry you but He needed to convince you to marry me"

So dreams do have some meanings I am sure.

Last edited:
சகோதரி ரேனுகாவுக்கு Dear Renuka
Thanks for your comments. I liked two things in you reply. What your husband said about your dream.
The second thing is You are lucky to get COLOUR dreams.I mean purple flower.
Dream analysts say that most of us get only Black and White dreams.
I was very unlucky.So far I did not get a single colour dream.
But my brother saw millions of colourful stars in the sky in his dream one day.
He was talking about it the whole day repeating it to all his friends.
I think dreams can elevate or lift your thoughts and mood.
Have sweet dreams.
But dont forget to tell us

I don't know about the dreams of the personages listed above, but I think not all of them have directly told that they had such-and-such a dream. But from time immemorial, dreams have been a convenient 'device' for our people to do certain things which would otherwise be difficult or troublesome to explain away.

I am aware of one incident. A decaying family in dire financial straits. The elderly man was at a loss to salvage the sinking fortunes of the family. Then he consulted an astrologer, as is normal with most people. The astrologer gave a beautiful plan: make a beautiful stone idol (vigraham) of krishna, secretly immerse it in the centre of the village pond; say that god came to you in your dream and wanted this ancient idol to be resurrected, and so on; to prove your bonafides, offer to meet the expenditure in drying up the pond (with giant pumpsets) till the idol is found/not found. Then claim ownership or family interest in the temple which comes up. Money will flow like river into your purse.

Everything went according to plan. The pumping of the water from the large village tank took some two weeks, since tv had not yet come, the newspapers were full of the news, crowds from far and near came, and when the idol was found at last, the public adulation knew no bounds.

There is now a very good and pucca temple with lot of income, part of which, I understand, benefits the once decrepit family. All god's grace, what else!

Dreams do help, in such cases ;)

I don't know about the dreams of the personages listed above, but I think not all of them have directly told that they had such-and-such a dream. But from time immemorial, dreams have been a convenient 'device' for our people to do certain things which would otherwise be difficult or troublesome to explain away.

I am aware of one incident. A decaying family in dire financial straits. The elderly man was at a loss to salvage the sinking fortunes of the family. Then he consulted an astrologer, as is normal with most people. The astrologer gave a beautiful plan: make a beautiful stone idol (vigraham) of krishna, secretly immerse it in the centre of the village pond; say that god came to you in your dream and wanted this ancient idol to be resurrected, and so on; to prove your bonafides, offer to meet the expenditure in drying up the pond (with giant pumpsets) till the idol is found/not found. Then claim ownership or family interest in the temple which comes up. Money will flow like river into your purse.

Everything went according to plan. The pumping of the water from the large village tank took some two weeks, since tv had not yet come, the newspapers were full of the news, crowds from far and near came, and when the idol was found at last, the public adulation knew no bounds.

There is now a very good and pucca temple with lot of income, part of which, I understand, benefits the once decrepit family. All god's grace, what else!

wow, thats a fantastic plan !. 3 cheers to the old man & the astrologer !!. Good show guys - excellent way to make money !. :)

It is not unusual to find a deity in the temple tank or buried in rubble and over fill; some vigrahas were buried to protect them from desecration from muslim invaders and were later found. Every year hundreds of vigrahas are found and some are installed in temples. Plenty of such incidents are reported in newspapers.

Will you please give references to the news reports on the incident you have cited. It will still be worthwhile to investigate and expose the crime. If you give details to magazines like junior vikatan or nakkeran, at least a preliminary investigation will be done by the magazines. It will be easy to get to the truth if the scheming astrologer or the old man are still alive. It is also more likely that the astrologer too got his share of the treasure - either one time payment or a permanent share in the revenue of the temple. But as someone said, such a scheme is acceptable as the village eventually benefited, a temple was built and more visitors and money flowed in abundance.

Dear Members,

A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL. MAY 2012 BRING IN Renewd energy, prosperity and lots of happiness. May all your desires get fulfilled in this lovely year! :)

With loads of love,
Hema Srinivasan

Mind is collection of thoughts. Thoughts flow continuously jumping one subject after other whether past, present or future. It is common for us to fantasize unfulfilled hopes and pleasant thoughts in the form of day dreaming. It is my view that even when body rests the thoughts continue to flow inside the brain as dreams. With my limited knowledge of the subject I have no research theory to support this view. I may be wrong.
Interestingly most of the dreams vanish from mind when we wake up from sleep. Again many of us would have experienced, when contents of dream breaches the border of control, the conscious mind would cause the dreamer awaken from the shock.
I do not know whether Dreams have meaning or not. But I have also come across people claiming that dreams have meaning in life and some of them have come true in their life. Many people say Colour dreams are more common than black and while.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Do Dreams Have Meaning?

Most probably NOT.

Usually, I go to bed only when I really feel very sleepy (usually after midnight since my high school days in 1965)!

When I lie down to sleep, I normally focus on some intractable issue unresolved like the possible meanings of the Data that I collected at work that day or some very complex issue that has been dogging me for sometime, and I just slip into deep sleep (I usually sleep like a baby for about 6 hours undisturbed! :)).

I do get some vague B & W and colorful dreams; but in the morning I just can't recall in detail what the dream was about!!

Yes, from the time the brain is developed in mother's womb, constant signals travel between various parts of the brain like cortex and hippocampus and other parts; some of the optical nerves go thru these parts creating Random Eye Movement during sleep.

Sigmund Freud-well known psychiatrist -has said that there is what is called Conscious Mind and an Unconscious Mind, and signals travel back and forth between these two areas. Scientists have no idea of experimentally checking this view or hypothesis. Dreams could be that some of the spill over from the "unconscious mind" when our "conscious mind" is "sleeping"... perhaps.

Nice reading different experiences of people, their encounters with dreams!

Cheers.

:)

Dear Members,

A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL. MAY 2012 BRING IN Renewd energy, prosperity and lots of happiness. May all your desires get fulfilled in this lovely year! :)

With loads of love,
Hema Srinivasan

Hi Hema:

Same wishes to you and your family.

Welcome to this Forum, if you are really new!

What's your experience and "encounters" with dreams? Do they mean anything at all to you?

Cheers.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back