• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Do all Brahmins need Kula Dhaivam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Renuka,

Let me clarify. While Kannagi was born human, she attains divinity by her way of life. Some believe (myself included) that she was a incarnation of Goddess Parvathi herself !! Since she is divine & an incarnation of God, she has no rebirth as a human anymore. !!

JK

Dear Sir,

Parvati principle will surely be accompanied by Shiva principle...so do you really expect me to believe that Kovalan would have been a Shiva principle if Kannagi was a Parvati principle?

Can you quote one at least one scripture which supports your contentions regarding Kula Deivam? These are beliefs which were adapted from the Non_Brahmins who did not perform Puja in their household. These are totally at variance with the concepts a Brahmin should be familiar with.

Dear Sir,

The entire concept of Gotram, Kulam & kula Devata are all Brahminical concept. !!. They root their Origin in the Vedas, you also have Kulapuja, Kula mantra all rooted in our sanskrit scriptures.

The NBs are also rooted in Vedic religion & hence they follow the Kula Devata concept. I am not aware of any South Brahmins who do not have a Kula Deivam, they may have forgotten due to migrations but all of them will have a Kula deivam or they would have heard of their ancestors doing it !!

Cheers,
JK

Dear Sir,

Parvati principle will surely be accompanied by Shiva principle...so do you really expect me to believe that Kovalan would have been a Shiva principle if Kannagi was a Parvati principle?

Hi Renuka,

Not necessarily. Each of these Gods have many incarnations & come to the earth on their own to establish justice, to eliminate evil, show path to all the humans. So Kovalan is not Shiva.

Cheers,
JK

Dear Sir,

The entire concept of Gotram, Kulam & kula Devata are all Brahminical concept. !!. They root their Origin in the Vedas, you also have Kulapuja, Kula mantra all rooted in our sanskrit scriptures.

The NBs are also rooted in Vedic religion & hence they follow the Kula Devata concept. I am not aware of any South Brahmins who do not have a Kula Deivam, they may have forgotten due to migrations but all of them will have a Kula deivam or they would have heard of their ancestors doing it !!

Cheers,
JK

Please do not compare Gotra and Kulam. Gotra is the clan for the Brahmins. Just because you believe in Kula Devata it does not become a Vedic concept. Most of the Brahmins and in fact most of the Hindus do not have any Kula Devata.

As I said earlier show me one at least one quote from any scripture which talks about Kula Devata. Search in Google/Bing.

We can not fall back on the statement that whatever I believe in, is from the Vedas and as per the scriptures.

Hi Renuka,

Let me clarify. While Kannagi was born human, she attains divinity by her way of life. Some believe (myself included) that she was a incarnation of Goddess Parvathi herself !! Since she is divine & an incarnation of God, she has no rebirth as a human anymore. !!

Also Kula Devatas are not humans, they could be Gods in the form of Humans. for eg, if you look at all Kula Devatas they will be the representation of either the Shiva/Parvathi - Shakti/Ganesh/Murugun etc.. or Vishnu /Rama/Krishna/Narasimha etc..

So for most of us, Kula Devata will also be a God from the Shaivite family or Vaishnavite family of Gods !. So it is not that different. But the Kula Deivam temple for us is directly worshipped by our ancestors for personal protection & thats where our ancestors lived, hence the significance. On a more historical note, if you want to trace your origins then you start with Kula Devata & find all the Kula devata temples in India & then narrow down the exact place.

No human can be a God unless he or she is a incarnate & thats the Vedic belief !! & almost all incarnates are from these Gods ! This is true for all Bs & NBs, because all Gods are defined by the Bs through the Vedic scriptures even those worshipped by NBs !.

Cheers,
JK

Dear Shri JK,

It seems to me that the word "vedic" is being used with careless unconcern, or that there is a belief that "everything is in veda/s". FYKI, no veda talks about any human who is incarnate and so is a God. The vedas recognize Devas and not avataaras.

Mere human incarnations is not possible in this world for we humans. Hence all "incarnations" should necessarily be of Gods. And here it is necessary to distinguish between the veidc devas and subsequent trimurtis. Only Vishnu is found taking avataaras; brahma and Shiva do not usually come down to help humanity as a whole through avataaras. Even Shiva, Narasimha, Muruga, Kali, Krishna, Rama are not "vedic gods" per se.

As hinduism progressed through time, it acquired very many new gods, threw away some of its old and mighty gods and so on, till we now have a temple for Khushboo!

Please do not compare Gotra and Kulam. Gotra is the clan for the Brahmins. Just because you believe in Kula Devata it does not become a Vedic concept. Most of the Brahmins and in fact most of the Hindus do not have any Kula Devata.

As I said earlier show me one at least one quote from any scripture which talks about Kula Devata. Search in Google/Bing.

We can not fall back on the statement that whatever I believe in, is from the Vedas and as per the scriptures.

Dear Sir,

With all due respect, let me pl elaborate. Others on this forum may pl correct my understanding.

Kula Deivam or Kula Devata is the God of the family/Clan, hence the most important to worship. Pl refer URL below, where a very large section of people in South & North India (Both Brahmins & NBs) worship Kula devata.

Further Kula Devata can be derived through the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] House of the Horoscope which is rooted strongly in Vedic Astrology !. I am not an expert on Astrology, but have some basic understanding.

http://www.kamakoti.org/kamakoti/de...ml?PHPSESSID=70aeed497c6dfa4d2c6b0203621275ff

Reference to Shiva Puja from Skanda Purana

The worship commences with Mantras addressing the very first Deity Ganesha with ‘Om Gam Ganesaya namah’ followed by two others, with Om Kshey Kshetra Palaaya namah, and Om Gum Gurubhyo namah and dedicates the Puja material to ‘Akash’ (Sky). Later on, he worships in the following order directed towards to four directions viz. Kula Devatha, Nandi, Mahaakaal, and Dhatha- Vidhata with the mantras: Om Kum Kula Devathaya namah, Om nam Nandiney namah, Om Mahaakaalaya namah and Om Dhaam Dhaatrey Vidhaatrey namah.

Kuladevata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kuladevata (kula-dèvatā) or Kuladevi, also known as Kuladev and Kuladaivat, stands for "family deity, that is either a god or a goddess" within Hinduism, as distinct from personal ishta-devata and village deities. This is similar to Tutelary deity worshiped in other parts of world.
Kuldevi mantra : ;;Om Sri Kuldevyai Namah.

Worship of the kul-devata or kul-devi is considered to be of utmost importance. The Kul-devata is the guardian of the family, of the lineage. Ancestors of the family have worshipped the deity and there is a bond between the family and the deity. Hence such worship bears fruits early. Worship of the kuldevata is said to appease the deity who is the sole protector of the family. One who worships his/her family deity is said to be protected by the deity in times of calamity.

Cheers,
JK

Dear Sangom,

when I said Vedic belief, I am referring to our entire body of sanskrit literature not just to the 4 Vedas. :)

Cheers,
JK

Dear Sir,

Cheers,
JK

Vaishnavite brahmins do not have any kuladevata. In fact they worship even the devatas such Surya, Indra etc merely as a mode of Srimannarayana. They worship none but Narayana.

If Hindus (particularly B) should have kuladevaim, why is it only prevalent among South Indians? That too only among Tamils.
If it is vadic it should be, common through out Hindu community, just as Vedas (among the knowledgeable).

If Hindus (particularly B) should have kuladevaim, why is it only prevalent among South Indians? That too only among Tamils.
If it is vadic it should be, common through out Hindu community, just as Vedas (among the knowledgeable).

Dear Prasad ji,

Kula Devata is also worshiped in North India.

Dear Prasad ji,

Kula Devata is also worshiped in North India.
Renuka,
If you say so.
I live among North INdians and we discuss religious matter all the time. I happen to be in the religious committee of my Temple here. I hear of Kuladevaim only among TB, (only non-iyengars), and some kerela Brahmins (migrated TB).

Renuka,
If you say so.
I live among North INdians and we discuss religious matter all the time. I happen to be in the religious committee of my Temple here. I hear of Kuladevaim only among TB, (only non-iyengars), and some kerela Brahmins (migrated TB).

Dear Prasad ji,

As far as I know some North Indian Non Brahmins have Kula Devata.

So far I never heard of North Indian Brahmins having Kula Devata.

In fact I just asked my mum(she is North Brahmin) and she said her family worshiped Lord Rama and did not have any Kula Devata.

You will not find any scriptural references for Kula devata worship. The Wikipedia artcle has no references. The citations are from Anthropological Survey of India.

There is no scriptural reference because Kula Devata worship is pre-scriptures. Before any scripture was even thought of.

It is the worship which the early man did when the Tribal groups were formed. Each Tribe had its own God. Tribes became Kulas.

As civilization progressed , the concept of religion evolved. We progressed from Tribal worship to Vedanta.

Renuka was asking about Kula Devata and Advaita.

Let me illustrate with an example.

If one wants to go from Kanchipuram to Chennai, there are many options.

1. He could walk.

2. He could go by Bullock Cart

3. He could take a Bus.

4. He could go by Car.

5. He could go buy Helicopter.

But these options were not available at all times. When civilization progressed more and more options became available.

All these options are known by a single name. Transportation.

Kula Devata worship is like going by Bullock Cart.

Advaita/Dwaita/Yoga etc are like going by helicopter. And with other options in between.

All these are known as Hinduism.

But if a man is not aware of the option of going by Bus he may still go by Bullock cart.

Knowing all the options is Knowledge.

Let me give another example to illustrate my point.

A person going by Car from Lus corner to T. Nagar stops a pedestrian and asks him the way.

The pedestrian tells him to catch Bus No. 12 B and tells him where the stop is. This is what he knows because he does not know the route by Car.

The Ignorant Astrologer is like the pedestrian. He can only tell you what he knows.

The pedestrian's directions do not help the Car driver. Similarly such an insistence on Kula Devata does not help the people who are religious. A Krishna Bhaktha can not go and pray to some other God just because it is the Kula deivam. A man who has performed Puja for a particular deity can not forsake that deity and run after the Kula Devata.

He should not do it. It will be like a car owner leaving his car and taking the Bus 12 B.

Similarly such an insistence on Kula Devata does not help the people who are religious. A Krishna Bhaktha can not go and pray to some other God just because it is the Kula deivam. A man who has performed Puja for a particular deity can not forsake that deity and run after the Kula Devata.

Dear Sir,

I have a question here...even though I do not really follow any Kula Devata worship but I have no problems praying to any form of Divinity if I am in any temple.

I do not see any reason why a person praying to Lord Krishna can not worship any other form of divinity if he/she wants too just for respecting purposes.

Out here when we go to temples..most Amman temples will have statues of:

1)Durga
2)Kali
3)Madurai Veeran
4)Muniswaran
5)Hanuman
6)Nag Devi
7)9 planets and Surya
8)Ganesha
9)Muruga

So at any one given time we can pray and pay respect to the all the forms of divinity in the temple.

In fact at Batu Caves Hill top Murugan temple ..in the complex below the hill top there is also a Vishnu temple and a Hanuman temple.

We are the guests in the temple and pay respect to all the hosts(Devatas) present.

Last edited:
Dear Sir,

With all due respect, let me pl elaborate. Others on this forum may pl correct my understanding.

Kula Deivam or Kula Devata is the God of the family/Clan, hence the most important to worship. Pl refer URL below, where a very large section of people in South & North India (Both Brahmins & NBs) worship Kula devata.

Further Kula Devata can be derived through the 2nd House of the Horoscope which is rooted strongly in Vedic Astrology !. I am not an expert on Astrology, but have some basic understanding.

: kamakoti.org

Reference to Shiva Puja from Skanda Purana

The worship commences with Mantras addressing the very first Deity Ganesha with ‘Om Gam Ganesaya namah’ followed by two others, with Om Kshey Kshetra Palaaya namah, and Om Gum Gurubhyo namah and dedicates the Puja material to ‘Akash’ (Sky). Later on, he worships in the following order directed towards to four directions viz. Kula Devatha, Nandi, Mahaakaal, and Dhatha- Vidhata with the mantras: Om Kum Kula Devathaya namah, Om nam Nandiney namah, Om Mahaakaalaya namah and Om Dhaam Dhaatrey Vidhaatrey namah.

Kuladevata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kuladevata (kula-dèvatā) or Kuladevi, also known as Kuladev and Kuladaivat, stands for "family deity, that is either a god or a goddess" within Hinduism, as distinct from personal ishta-devata and village deities. This is similar to Tutelary deity worshiped in other parts of world.
Kuldevi mantra : ;;Om Sri Kuldevyai Namah.

Worship of the kul-devata or kul-devi is considered to be of utmost importance. The Kul-devata is the guardian of the family, of the lineage. Ancestors of the family have worshipped the deity and there is a bond between the family and the deity. Hence such worship bears fruits early. Worship of the kuldevata is said to appease the deity who is the sole protector of the family. One who worships his/her family deity is said to be protected by the deity in times of calamity.

Cheers,
JK

Shri JK,

AFA my learning goes, the term "kula" is different from what is meant by the term "gotra in our ordinary brahmin circles". Gotra the sanskrit word means a cow-pen, or any enclosure to protect cattle during night time. It is a vestige from our lives as so many "tribes" once upon a time long past. Thus, the gotram does not mean that all the people of one gotra belong to the patrilineal line of the pravara rishis. I can elaborate on this but let me conclude by stating that the "sagotra" bar on marriage is without any rational basis. If you like we may discuss this separately.

"Kula" is inherently a tantric concept. In Tantra, all the followers/devotees/disciples of one guru are said to belong to the same "Kula".

"Tantra considers the universe to be a manifestation of pure consciousness. Through this process of manifesting, consciousness divides itself into two parts, which cannot exist without one another (though appearing to divide, they actually remain one and the same). One aspect remains as a static, formless quality (shiva), while the other is a dynamic, creative aspect (shakti). The two eternally coexist, like ink and the written word, which, though one and the same, are different. The journey of Tantra is to know them both, at once, as one. Through a process of kundalini awakening, the two are eventually experienced in their state of union. In the Himalayan tradition, Yoga, Vedanta, and Tantra are companion practices.

. . . . .

It is often taught that there are two schools of Tantra, the left-handed path and the right-handed path, depending on the nature of the practices. However, these two are actually divisions within one school, that of Kaula Tantra. The other two are the Mishra and Samaya schools of Tantra. All systems or methods of Tantra fall into one of these three schools, though there may be many subdivisions within these three.

The Kaula Tantra school utilizes external practices and rituals, while the Samaya school is completely an internal process. The Mishra Tantra school mixes the external practices and rituals, along with internal practices. The three schools are progressively higher, with Kaula Tantra being the lower, Mishra Tantra going further inward, and Samaya Tantra for those who are prepared to do the advanced practices.

By being aware of all three schools of Tantra, one can more wisely see how Tantra might fit into his or her personal spiritual practices, not limiting one's scope to the choice between the two Kaula Tantra paths.

Each of the three schools of Tantra believe in purifying of the body, breath, mind, and the latent impressions called samskaras, which are the driving force behind karma. The purifying process is called bhutashuddhi, which means purifying of the five elements of earth, water, fire, air, and space in the various ways in which they manifest.

Each of the schools of Tantra also practice methods for awakening the spiritual energy of kundalini, though the methods and the height attained in that kundalini awakening may differ. Some of the methods of Tantra are taught under the names Kundalini Yoga or Kriya Yoga."

(Schools of Tantra: Kaula, Mishra, and Samaya)

It is from this Tantric concept of "Kula" that the term "Kuladevata" has been imported into the lives of the southern population. The Kashmiri surname "Kaul" is a modernism of "Kaula" or one who belongs to a school of Kaula Tantra.

It is not clear (at least to me) as to how the "aam aadmi" in Tamilnad came to recognize a Kula Devata although we have no concrete concept of our "Kula" and tabras specially have only their gotra concept as first and foremost. In my case, for example, the Kula Deivam Saasta with his two consorts Poornaa and Pushkalaa are in three separate pedestals each about three feet high. Close inspection of the idols give the feeling that the central idol of Saasta might have been a Jain moorti due to the creeper design etched on its torso. I have a doubt that this could be a "pratishta" made from the many Jain temples destroyed during Pandyan resurrection after the Kalabhra interrugnum, imho. (Since this is a very small peripheral temple, this could have been established as a Saasta temple much later also.)

The interesting aspect is that the NB population from a large number of surrounding villages, also claim this saasta as their Kula deivam and they insist on slaughtering goats, fowls etc., to propitiate the mADan, iSakki, etc., idols placed outside the sanctum sanctorum, annually on Panguni Uttiram day! There can be only two explanations for such a state of affairs; either some NBs from the outlying villages were promoted to the Brahmin caste by royal edicts at some point of time and our (patrilineal) family belonged to this group, or, some brahmins labelled this temple as their Kuladeivam temple because it was considered essential during some period in history.

I have another question here..the Bhagavatam says:

devarsi bhutapta nrnam pitrnam
na kinkaro nayamrni ca rajan
sarvatmana yah sranam saranyam
gato mukundam parihrtya kartam

"Anyone who has taken shelter in the lotus feet of Mukunda,the giver of liberation, giving up all kinds of obligations and has taken to the path in all seriousness, owes neither duties nor obligations to the devas,sages,general living entities,family members,humankind or forefathers"

My question is since Vaishnava Brahmins worship only Lord Vishnu( I assume they totally only worship and surrender to Him).... do they still need to preform Shraddha for departed ancestors?

Dear Sir,

I have a question here...even though I do not really follow any Kula Devata worship but I have no problems praying to any form of Divinity if I am in any temple.

I do not see any reason why a person praying to Lord Krishna can not worship any other form of divinity if he/she wants too just for respecting purposes.

1)Durga
2)Kali
3)Madurai Veeran
4)Muniswaran
5)Hanuman
6)Nag Devi
7)9 planets and Surya
8)Ganesha
9)Muruga

So at any one given time we can pray and pay respect to the all the forms of divinity in the temple.

We are the guests in the temple and pay respect to all the hosts(Devatas) present.

That is also what I do. But here we are talking about special prayers for overcoming problems.

I am not saying he/she should not pray to Kula Devata.

I am not against kula Devata worship.

I start my Puja with

Mata Pitrubyam Namah.

Ishta devatabyo Namah.

Kula devatabyo Namah.

Grama devatabyo Namah

Vasthu Devatabyo Namah

Sthana Devatabyo Namh

Sarvebyo Devebyo Namah.

But then my main Puja is to my Ishta devata.

What I am emphasizing and which is the idea behind this thread is that one should not run searching for Kula Devata. One should pray to his/her Ishta devata or any Deity to whom he/she has always prayed. If it is the Kula devata well and good.

Do not get disheartened just because you do not have a Kula devata.

Some brahmin families have kula deivam and ishta deivam. Some have either one but not both. Some have lost track of their kula deivam or ishta deivam or both. Many have neither kula deivam nor ishta deivam.

Nevertheless not all brahmin communities have this concept of kula deivam or ishta deivam. This seems to be prevalent only in South Indian brahmin families. My North Indian brahmin friends stated that they do not have this concept of kula deivam or ishta deivam in their communities. However they ascribe importance to the deity of the place where they are permanently settled besides worshipping the other deities.

With some communities, the reigning deity of the city or town assumes precedence. For instance in Coimbatore, the deity koni amman, after whom the city is named, is given prime importance by most residents of the city. Likewise, Meenakshi in Madurai, Kamakshi in Kancheepuram, Kandhimathi in Tirunelveli, Nataraja in Chidambaram, Ananthapadmanabhaswamy in Trivandrum, Patteeswarar in Thanjavur etc.

The Kula Devata is worshiped at the beginning of the Puja because we do not want to forget our origins. We have stopped being Tribes long back.

It depends on communities. There are many communities who still would like to fall back on their tribal roots. For them Kula devata is of utmost importance. Most of them also do not have the knowledge of higher Hinduism.

But For Brahmins who have ceased to be tribes long back and who have migrated so many times Kula devata does not make much of sense.

Again I am sorry to point out that you can not claim to be Advaitins or Bhakthas and then claim the superiority of Kula devata worship.

Kula devata worship is against all the standard margas of Hinduism like Bhakthi, Karma and Jnana.

Origin of Kula Devata in our scriptures !! Pl read the following from Skanda Puranam !

Essence of Skanda

Veda Vyas informed Yudhishtara that in Dharmaranya quite a few Sadachari Brahmanas practising Dharma came to reside. In fact, there were some illustrious Sages who begotsons and from them came a huge stock of progeny; for instance some twenty four prominent Sages added to the stock such as Bharadwaja, Vatsa (Pradhama), Kaushika,Kusha, Sandilya, Kashyapa, Gauthama, Chandana, Jatkaranya, Vatsa (Dwiteeya),Vasishtha, Dharana, Atreya, Bhandila, Laukika, Krishnayana, Upamanyu, Gargeya,Mridula, Maushaka, Punyasana, Parashara, Kaundinya and Gangasana.

The progeny of these Gothras named after these and many other Sages expanded and there came up a problem of all the men engaged in various Dharmik tasks through out the day and evenearly nights, there emerged problems of their security and threats from Rakashasas,Yakshas and Pisachas. The concerned Kula Devis were created by Devas to protect theSages and Brahmanas, like Srimata, Tharani Devi, Gotrapa, Ashapuri, Icchhartinashani,Pippali, Vikara vasha, Bhattarika, Suparna, Bhadri, Mahabala, Chamunda etc. But the progeny of Brahmanas increased manifold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Sir,

1)Durga
2)Kali
3)Madurai Veeran
4)Muniswaran
5)Hanuman
6)Nag Devi
7)9 planets and Surya
8)Ganesha
9)Muruga

In fact at Batu Caves Hill top Murugan temple ..in the complex below the hill top there is also a Vishnu temple and a Hanuman temple.

I do not "see" any contradiction in going to any temple anywhere, and pray. I see all gods as representation of Brahman (the advaita).
I do not believe that I have to go to a specific temple for getting my wish.

I agree with post#44 of Mr. Sharmah.

Some brahmin families have kula deivam and ishta deivam. Some have either one but not both. Some have lost track of their kula deivam or ishta deivam or both. Many have neither kula deivam nor ishta deivam.

Nevertheless not all brahmin communities have this concept of kula deivam or ishta deivam. This seems to be prevalent only in South Indian brahmin families. My North Indian brahmin friends stated that they do not have this concept of kula deivam or ishta deivam in their communities. However they ascribe importance to the deity of the place where they are permanently settled besides worshipping the other deities.

With some communities, the reigning deity of the city or town assumes precedence. For instance in Coimbatore, the deity koni amman, after whom the city is named, is given prime importance by most residents of the city. Likewise, Meenakshi in Madurai, Kamakshi in Kancheepuram, Kandhimathi in Tirunelveli, Nataraja in Chidambaram, Ananthapadmanabhaswamy in Trivandrum, Patteeswarar in Thanjavur etc.

My post#37 also agrees with your POV.

Is there a date on this version of "Skanda Puranam".

The Satyanarayana Vrata is a Hindu religious observance. It is a ritual performed by devotees on any major occasion like marriage, house warming ceremony etc. It can also be performed on any day for any reason. It finds first mention in Skanda Purana.

I would be surprised, to know how many TB living in TN have performed this puja.
There is no mention of Reva Khande in Skanda Puranam, People included it just to give credence for this XXXXXXXX puja.

It is called careful placing of a lie in an otherwise authentic document.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back