• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

DMK and Brahmins

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is very heartening to read the latest 23.9.2009Thuglak weekly(Front cover inside) wherein Mr S.A.P.Varadan has narrated an incident showing the humanitarian attitude towards Brahmins by DMK.
As he concludes if there are some good things that should be brought out.
I suggest every one reads this.
SAP Varadan is doing yeoman service at this age and specially uses this page(paid by him) for good purposes.

sabesan,

it is heartening to see you post again. and reassuring too.

we will keep it open, and let it die a natural demise if there is no responses.

moderators only take attention to threads, where the initiator just makes one comment, and abandons the thread.

this thread is bonafide and ok.

thank you. :)

I am also fascinated by the amazing variety of articles chosen/written for/by Mr. S.A.P.
Varadan. Almost all of them are very relevant and necessary, in today's busy and selfish world.

I have always appreciated his ingenuity in using an advertisement for the world good
(yoga kshemam).

i do not know much about sap varadan. any info would be welcome.

i used to like cho once upon a time. hit cutting edge dramas, were lapped up by the chennai, mostly brahmin middle class. i think, he had a following among other groups too.

later years, i think, he has lost his neutral bearings, and become a spokesman for the right wing and retro elements.

too bad. i thought he will become smarter with old age. the opposite, in my opinion, appears to be happening.

what is it with people, that as they grow older, many appear to shed their idealism and desire for change, and appear to be insecure enough to seek refuge in the most reactionary aspects of religion?

are we not supposed to become mellow and wisen up with years?

At the outset, I wish to clarify I'm not a counsel for Cho. But I can say this. Cho was always impartial , ruthlessly critical and honest to the core. And he has been.

His master pieces are many dramas like "Mohammed Bin Thuglak", "Yarukkum Vetkamillai", "Unmaiye, un vilai enna?", "Sambavami Yuge, Yuge" and novels like "Enge Brahmanan?", religious serials like "Mahabharatham", "Hindu Maha Samudram" (currently being serialised in Thuglak) etc.

I am a great fan of Cho, fascinated by his intellectual honesty. Even his worst rivals have not accused him of dishonesty and selfishness.

He is a great intelelligent person. But due to self-negation and keeping humility beyond a level, he doesn't possess leadership qualities. So, nobody takes his words seriously.

His contribution during Emergency period, anti-Hindu procession undertaken by EVR, Udayakumar murder in Annamalai University, Clive Hostel incidents in St. Joseph's College, Trichy and his exposing the hypcrisy of people like Karunanidhi, Ramadoss, Veeramani and the like vouch safe his truthfulness in reporting. He has shunned many posts especially in politics and many titles and awards too. He doesn't even spare his fellow-journalists.

Finally, he has never misutilised the large readership Thuglak have for his personal benefit. Perhaps Thuglak is the only one magazine in the world that has readers drawn from all walks of life, along a continuum, touching both its extremes. It is a great wonder.

Even his arch rivals respect his writings and eagerly look forward to his comments on a particular issue. Many of them privately come to him for guidance, before any major step is contemplated by them.

I have been a reader of Thuglak, ever since it was started in January, 1972.

Last edited:
Reverting to the main Topic here are some facts about this enviable gentleman of 97 years.
Mapping the future : S A P Varadan

A meeting with S A P Varadan, renowned astro-palmist and numerologist of Chennai, leaves R Venkata Subramanian starry-eyed

For someone who was presumed stillborn and rescued from being buried alive in the nick of time, Srirangam Ayyangar Perumal Varadan has lived a full life. Popular for his accurate predictions, the astro-palmist and numerologist is equally well known for his philanthropy. Spending 75% of his earnings to support various causes, he helps the poor and the disabled, gives financial aid to underprivileged students, assists in the maintenance of schools and temples, and contributes for disaster relief. Over the years, he has donated around 65 lakh rupees.

Varadan always had a sense of social duty. From giving away his lunch to fellow pupils while still at school, he wrote letters to newspapers about civic problems as a young man. His published letters saw officials rushing to rectify the problems. The then Collector of Madurai had even requested him to bring civic problems directly to his notice.

He was recently in the news for entirely different reason. Posing as a TV journalist, a conman had interviewed Varadan before taking Rs 5,000 from him under some pretext. When the programme was not telecast, he lodged a complaint with the police. The impostor was duly arrested and the money returned. Varadan added a thousand rupees and donated the amount for tsunami relief.

Varadan has an explanation for accidents, wars and epidemics as well as natural calamities like tsunami and earthquakes that cause many deaths. According to him, these disasters are warnings from the Almighty for people to mend their ways. All a result of past sins and virtues, a person's destiny is decided at the time of birth itself.

Advice from this celebrated astro-palmist needs prior appointment. Varadan takes three hours to study a horoscope and charges clients according to the number of questions asked. He believes that many arranged marriages fail despite consulting astrologers, as horoscopes were not matched properly, with parents compromising on many factors. The availability of halls also decided the day of the marriage ceremony rather than astrological calculations.

A diet of three idlis for breakfast, fruit and milk for lunch and another three idlis for supper has helped him maintain good health. A life of abstinence from coffee, tea, tobacco and meat has kept him young. Even today, he can read without glasses, his hearing is perfect and his intellect still very sharp. Not something all nonagenarians can claim. Yes, Varadan is 97 years young!

Varadan lost his wife about three years back and his daughter, her husband and their children are his family. Not satisfied with a lifetime of service, he has pledged his body for research to the Madras Medical College, after his death. Something that his well-wishers pray will not happen for a long time.

Varadan is now 101 years old, according to his own statement.

All other facts, he himself has written once. I admire, appreciate and
adore him for his selfless journey all through his life.

Long live this 'young' man!

.......I am a great fan of Cho, fascinated by his intellectual honesty. Even his worst rivals have not accused him of dishonesty and selfishness.

He is a great intelelligent person. But due to self-negation and keeping humility beyond a level, he doesn't possess leadership qualities. So, nobody takes his words seriously.

His contribution during Emergency period, anti-Hindu procession undertaken by EVR, Udayakumar murder in Annamalai University, Clive Hostel incidents in St. Joseph's College, Trichy and his exposing the hypcrisy of people like Karunanidhi, Ramadoss, Veeramani and the like vouch safe his truthfulness in reporting. He has shunned many posts especially in politics and many titles and awards too. He doesn't even spare his fellow-journalists.

Finally, he has never misutilised the large readership Thuglak have for his personal benefit. Perhaps Thuglak is the only one magazine in the world that has readers drawn from all walks of life, along a continuum, touching both its extremes. It is a great wonder.

thank you pann.

i think the issue is not about cho's honesty. i agree with you 100% on his personal integrity and not misusing friendships to amass wealth.

re the rest of your tribute, i am not so sure.

sure enough, he started off being politically neutral and did a 360 degree critique. i think in the past 15 years or so, he has moved steadily right wing.

accepting the m.p. post on behalf of bjp, is not an indication of apolitical view of indian public life.

he has been increasingly bleating on the supposed plight of TBs. in this context, cho's hysteria has not been much different from some of the extreme content that we have seen here and which as moderators we have warned against.

cho, i am afraid, does not have empathy for the poor, the downtrodden. he could have used his platform, for social uplift, as a counter to periyar. instead he echoed the certainmost brahminical tenets, which have been inimical to the welfare of this community.

in short, while in his youth, cho was a crusader, since his 50s, he has steadily moved backward, till now, he is just another old fogey, giving armchair reactionary views of india.

definitely, he left his times long ago. another museum piece, our cho.

finally, he could atleast look more presentable.. nowadays, with his overwhelming viboothi, and even more omnipresent pottu, all to top of that mottai... does not inspire in me any confidence... shorn of his garments, he could be one with the thousands of saamiars that roam kasi or gaya. :)

ps.. all in all, cho is one of the saddest examples of 'what could have been'. early 70s, he was at the height of his potential. i think, he could have maneovered into a movement for social uplift and political clarity.

the first, he seem incapable or insensitive to (he opposed kamaraj free noon day scheme till recently)

the second, he ruined by aligning with bjp (& now with even more dubiuos organizations..perhaps)

Last edited:
.. all in all, cho is one of the saddest examples of 'what could have been'.

Hello,

When it comes to political satire, there is nobody to beat him, except perhaps John Stewart and gang. I lost all respect for him when I became aware of his incredibly stupid and amazingly low opinion of women.

Cheers!

p.s. What is astro-palmistry? S A P Varadan seems to be a wonderful man. But I am reminded of the following:

சோதிடந்தனை இகழ் -- மகாகவியின் புதிய ஆத்திச்சூடி

சத்தமும் சோதிடமும் என்று ஆங்கு இவை பிதற்றும்
பித்தரில் பேதையார் இல் -- நாலடியார்

If Sri SAP Varadhan is contributing 75% of his income for charitable work, it should be really appreciated. He is living in an Economically Weaker Section (EWS) building in Annanagar. His house may be small but he has a very large heart.

Let us Thank Cho & Tuglak magazine for publishing the good work of this great person.

All the best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back