• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Distortions in Indian History

Status
Not open for further replies.
Satyam Bruyat Priyam Bruyat Na Bruyat Satyam Apriyam

satyam bruyat priyam bruyat na bruyat satyam apriyam
priyam ca nanrutam bruyat esha dharmah sanatanah

Speak truth in such a way that it should be pleasing to others. Never speak truth, which is unpleasant to others. Never speak untruth, which might be pleasant. This is the path of eternal morality, sanatana dharma.

To speak truth is an eternal value irrespective of time and place. But the expression of truth should be accompanied by two conditions. Firstly, it should be presented in a loving manner and secondly it should be spoken for the betterment of others. How you speak is as important as what is said. Priyam means speech that does not hurt others. Hitam is something that is said for the good or betterment of others. One should be careful of speaking truth but not hurting others.

We should be careful in speaking the truth. The purpose should be good and the words used and the manners in which they are spoken are important. So the value of truthfulness is relative to a situation. According to the Indian scriptures while living in the world of relativity truth can be interpreted in many ways.

The matter of faith is touchy and sometimes it is clutch we hold, it is our lifeline. It is wrong/heartless to kick the clutch without giving the individual confidence to stand on his own. Some of us might have a reached a point of understanding that the others have not reached, then your comment seems like talking down to them, tone it down.

It is utterly useless to present a point and quote someone else you know to be equally biased. All you trying to show of your biased view then brahmin bashing on every thread is not appropriate. Start a separate thread of your own.

Last edited:

satyam bruyat priyam bruyat na bruyat satyam apriyam
priyam ca nanrutam bruyat esha dharmah sanatanah

Speak truth in such a way that it should be pleasing to others. Never speak truth, which is unpleasant to others. Never speak untruth, which might be pleasant. This is the path of eternal morality, sanatana dharma.

To speak truth is an eternal value irrespective of time and place. But the expression of truth should be accompanied by two conditions. Firstly, it should be presented in a loving manner and secondly it should be spoken for the betterment of others. How you speak is as important as what is said. Priyam means speech that does not hurt others. Hitam is something that is said for the good or betterment of others. One should be careful of speaking truth but not hurting others.

We should be careful in speaking the truth. The purpose should be good and the words used and the manners in which they are spoken are important. So the value of truthfulness is relative to a situation. According to the Indian scriptures while living in the world of relativity truth can be interpreted in many ways.

The matter of faith is touchy and sometimes it is clutch we hold, it is our lifeline. It is wrong/heartless to kick the clutch without giving the individual confidence to stand on his own. Some of us might have a reached a point of understanding that the others have not reached, then your comment seems like talking down to them, tone it down.

It is utterly useless to present a point and quote someone else you know to be equally biased. All you trying to show of your biased view then brahmin bashing on every thread is not appropriate. Start a separate thread of your own.

I feel the admission "The matter of faith is touchy" explains all the problems. If one believes one version of history and make it my faith, then any other version/s of the same history becomes anathema and intolerable to that person. The best course for such people to follow will be not to voluntarily come into discussions and instead, live happily with their beliefs. Only when such "believers" start airing their views for general discussions and subsequently hold up such warnings as in your above post, the problem arises.

Hope you understand the position.

Mr. Sangom sir, your a learned person but you talk down to others and that is your style. I guess you are used to being in position of authority.

What I meant was faith and belief. Not verifiable history. History is always biased by the knowledge or desired results. Criticizing Modern history with facts is the only way to learn. Criticizing belief in God, Rama, Hanuman, Christ, Allah is not criticizing history. Criticizing ones birth or their loved one is not in good taste. Majority of people come to forum to learn, others come to show off. It helps the seeker to learn other points of view without being lectured on.

You are so learned person, some of your post is so informative, that I really enjoy reading. Please knock off that chip of your shoulder (that everything is the fault of brahmins). Like Krishna understood that He can not teach Yudhistira and sent him to Bhisma, may be you should also not necessarily teach everyone all the time.

"may be you should also not necessarily teach everyone all the time." - post 28

Sangom Sir is only writing his view of the world... why would anyone take offense of it? Blogposts are essentially someone's POV.

Beliefs and Faiths by its very nature is open to criticism & ridicule by some, and bhakthi and reverence by someone else.

That's the Nature of the Beast!

The key is how would we do it? By throwing fire bombs from the back bench and later crying for help?

:)

There is no crying, crying is for wimps which a bully will think is a weakness. The peaceful marches works only against civilized rulers. Peaceful protest against a tiger would be treated as an open invitation to be eaten. So dont interpret my words to Sangom is to all Goondas, it was to a learned man, soooooo sooooory it not you.

Dear Sangom sir, speaking only of the essay by Ramanuja, it has nothing bad about Rama or Sita. He does not demean Valmiki or say oral traditions are superior to Valmiki like sarang says, which Ravi likes. They both have obviously not read the essay but are making false accusations. sarang taking offense without even bothering to read the essay reminds me of people taking exceptions to the book Satanic Verses by Salman Rashdie. Of course there is a big difference in how the way the two religious right-wingers acted.

Cheers!

I read part of what Ramanuja wrote in his Essay on Ramayanam... He talks about Valmiki's and Kampan's versions, (besides others)... both were separated about 1200 years..

Naturally, FICTIONS like Ramayanam and Mahabharatam will have many versions depending on the time period the Poet or the Author lived...

Some inconsistencies in Valmiki's: He claims that Lord Rama was born in a different Yuga (Dirithya?) which is calculated to be about 176,000 years ago, when ALL of us were in the Great Rift Valley of Africa! Ayodhya should never be in the picture at all...

Then he claims that he was babysitting the kids of Lord Rama!

He will claim the Poetic License if you ask him!

Likewise, the Great Vyasa ridicules Lord Krishna... by the words of Arjuna in the BG "Lord Krishna, you know EVERYTHING and you are ALL POWERFUL, then why do you want ME to kill my relatives gathered on the other side of the battleground?... Why don't YOU do it yourself?"

"Why did you kill Karnan with all deceit and treachery?"

But the Followers don't want to be as critical as the Poets...they all believe blindly that Ramayanam and MB are Sacred Books!

ROFL... then LOL.

:)

namaste,

A study of Surya Siddhanta, Maya language and civilizations of South and Meso America by Indians is probably the need of the day.

Surya Siddhanta Overview© 2011

[sUrya siddhAnta] is one of the earliest [siddhAntas] in archeo astronomy of Hindus. Sri. Bapu Deva Shastri translated this in 1861. In less than 100 pages it describes the archeo astronomy theories, principles and methods!

The most significant features of the document are

1. The acknowledgement that an [asura] called [maya] imparted the knowledge of "astronomy" to Hindus that worship [deva].
2. The [asura] were residents of the "nether world" which is opposite side the world of the [deva].
3. There are mentions of northern and southern hemispheres and that there is no up and down for the globe.

The ancient civilizations of the world can generically classified as the Northern civilizations of which Hindu and India is a part. History tells us that Americas were discovered recently. And in the South and Meso America were great ancient civilizations of the Maya. Geographically the Hindu civilization and India are more or less diametrically opposite sides of the globe.

Comparative study of the two well known ancient civilizations however is practically non existent.

I suggest a look at any dictionary of the Maya languages - and go through it and find how many words there are familiar. one example is [chuna] meaning lime.

To the violently anti-hindu, anti-religion, anti-hindu no explanation is enough. The so intellectuals of the world have been trying to convince the talibans that Muslims need not be violent. They just close their ears and do not want to listen. There is no solution possible except we need Maha Kali.

Smt. HH,

I agree that the terms Indo-Aryans, Vedic Indo-Aryans, etc., create confusion. But I have used them somewhat loosely in my post.

The trayee veda people did not apparently support temple worship. But that by itself may not lead us to conclude that the Asia minor civilization had nothing to do with the trayee veda people, will it?
Dear Sir,

Perhaps we just need to go with currently available evidence from literary sources and archeological finds (since there is no conclusive evidence for now).

As of now, the oldest of temples are not (yet) found in India, instead they are found in Asia Minor. The world's oldest temple is also found in Asia Minor.

Apparently, the culture of Assyrians was ancient and associated with megaliths dating back to 10,000 years before present, though the state of Assyria itself came to be established much later.

The Mesopotamian empire of Assyria grew out of a city state of Ashur, and was founded by Zulilu, who lived after Bel-kap-kapu (aka Bel-kapkapi or Belkabi, circa 1900 BC), the ancestor of Shalmaneser I.

The state of Assyria was frequently at war with other states. Perhaps this got reflected in the veda-samhitas.

There is no evidence linking middle-eastern history with vedas, so for now, we can only say that Asuras were associated with a form of worship alien to the trayi-veda people.

We have already noted the trayi-veda venerated the 33 vedic-gods, while the asuras were associated with sorcery, imagery, magic, etc. Imagery worship was unacceptable to the composers of the trayi-vedas (though we do not know why? Maybe they feared 'spirits' different from their own 33 'gods').

It seems more likely to me, that the trayee-veda people with their 33 gods originated somewhere in the eurasian steppe. Of all movements influenced by climatic changes, I feel the dating of a civilisation gobbled up under the Persian Gulf 8000 years ago makes some difference. The people of this civilisation were reportedly the earliest of humans who migrated out of africa some 75,000 to 100,000 years ago.

An entire land mass gobbled up by the ocean is no small event. Such an event may have triggered off a very large scale movement of people 8000 ybp. Possibly around this period, the (nomadic?) people of the trayee-vedas encountered the tribes of asia-minor (asuras? atharvans? involved in idol worship and neolithic farming), and got into a prolonged conflict with them. Perhaps this is what the samhitas reflect.

This situation maybe comparable with groups/nations/states following different cultures, fighting with each other, and yet having wedding pacts (maybe that is why we find in the yajur that devas took asura wives).

So for now i suppose we can say that Asia minor civilization originally had nothing to do with the trayee veda people. Yet, there could have been pacts, some mingling of cultural and religious ideologies (in my opinion, mergers after violent squabbles cannot be avoided). Pre-merger and post-merger migrations in various directions could have also taken place at various points of time.

Am wondering if we could compare the BRW culture of harappa sites, and southindia with these migration scenarios....

What I am proposing is not that the Asia minor was the cradle of the proto-Aryan culture but the Sintashta (-Petrovka) area to the East of Asia minor. I believe it is possible that some civilization which took birth in and around that region spread to all directions; while so spreading the original ideas, beliefs and customs might very well have absorbed the various different local inputs. While those which eventually spread to Turkey believed in building Temple-cum-astronomical observatory for enabling its priests to make some weather/season predictions, the branch which migrated to the banks of the Sindhu believed only in the fire-sacrifices, and so on.

Is this not a feasible scenario?
Yes sir it is also a feasible scenario. However, we will need to wait for more archeological evidence, to see if the Sintashta culture supported imagery of which forms....

Regards.

Last edited:
sarang, please do me a favor, please tell me what you find as derogatory remarks about Rama and Sita in the essay.
Me thinks what hurts the right wing nationalists is that Ramanujam's essay does not help the Ramajanma Bhoomi cause of RSS / VHP / Various Senas, etc. Because Ramanujam brings out the point in his essay that there was more than one Rama.

Well, i see nothing wrong with having more than one Rama, so what if there was more than one Rama.

Additionally, Ramanujan's essay brings out the rivalry between the devas (indra) and sages (gautama). This goes against the grain of popular hindu belief that sages / seers meditated upon the devas ( and that devas did only good things).

It is for the delhi university, its vice chancellor, academic council, students and dissenters and court to decide this issue of ramanujan's essay in the syllabus. They will decide what is good for the majority of concerned people. Attack of the history department on this issue was three years ago under a different vice chancellor. There must be different reasons for dropping the essay from the syllabus, when the issue is very cold now.

The poem below shows respect ramanujan had for his father. One cannot expect anymore respect from him for his native culture and traditions. Sanatana dharma was ever successful in handling all issues related to this world and the inner world in a rational manner. Ramanujan unfortunately did not inherit wisdom from his father.

Ramanujan discusses the first poem, "Astronomer," in "Is There an Indian Way of Thinking?" (1990). He says that this poem is about his father, Srinivas Ramanujan, who was a famous mathematician. He descibes his father:

He was a mathematician, an astronomer. But he was also a Sanskrit scholar, an expert astrologer. He had two kinds of visitors: American and English mathematicians who called on him when they were on a visit to India, and local astrologers, orthodox pundits who wore splendid gold-embroidered shawls
dowered by the Maharaja. I had just been converted by Russell to the 'scientific attitude'. I (and my generation) was troubled by his holding together in one brain both astronomy and astrology; I looked for consistency in him, a consistency he didn't seem to care about, or even think about. (4)​

"Astronomer" is an attempt to make sense of his father's seemingly contradictory image.

"Astronomer" (Second Sight, 1986)

Sky-man in a manhole
with astronomy for dream,
astrology for nightmare;
fat man full of proverbs,
the language of lean years,
living in square after
almanac square
prefiguring the day
of windfall and landslide
through a calculus
of good hours,
clutching at the tear
in his birthday shirt
as at a hole
in his mildewed horoscope,
squinting at the parallax
of black planets,
his Tiger, his Hare
moving in Sanskrit zodiacs,
forever troubled
by the fractions, the kidneys
in his Tamil flesh,
his body the Great Bear
dipping for the honey,
the woman-smell
in the small curly hair
down there.

Enough of ramanujan for me!!

Last edited:
Mr. Sangom sir, your a learned person but you talk down to others and that is your style. I guess you are used to being in position of authority.

Dear Shri Prasad,

I am really sorry if any of my posts sounds like "talking down to others" and I apologize if my post has given you any trouble.

FYI, I have never occupied any position of "authority". Hence it is really baffling to me how/why my writings have become authoritarian. I will try to correct myself if you point out instances.

What I meant was faith and belief. Not verifiable history. History is always biased by the knowledge or desired results. Criticizing Modern history with facts is the only way to learn. Criticizing belief in God, Rama, Hanuman, Christ, Allah is not criticizing history. Criticizing ones birth or their loved one is not in good taste. Majority of people come to forum to learn, others come to show off. It helps the seeker to learn other points of view without being lectured on.

I believe that the excessive pre-occupation of the average Indian in matters of religion (especially after Independence and the opening up of the Hindu religion to all castes) is actually a hindrance to the "progress" of this country in the contemporary world. The belief in characters like Rama, Hanuman and many other entities in the Hindu religion is all akin to the instance of a north Indian child who died a few years ago, believing that "Shaktiman" the serial character will save him from drowning and jumped into the well.

One of my young friends has his son (about 10 years old) fixated on Hanuman so much that he attaches a ready-made tail to the loop in the rear part of his half-pants as soon as he comes back from school and also fixes a monkey-like face mask after taking his tea and snacks. Then the boy goes about the house jumping, speaking some dialogue and sometimes shrieks and so on. His parents and grandparents take pride in extolling their child's Hanuman bhakti! I hope the boy will get out of these childish aberrations sooner or later but his mind and brain are likely to ever remain susceptible to any faint suggestions regarding esoteric afflictions like ghosts, pitrusaapam, sarpadosham, and so on and so forth.

It is therefore necessary to make a distinction between concepts like Allah (Islam does not say that a character by name Allah ever lived historically) and the rest; as regards Jesus, a large percentage of Christians do not seem to believe in a historical Jesus though there are many Christians who have grown to possess gullible minds like my friend's son referred to in the previous para.

It will be useful to remember that Rama or Hanuman is not a vedic God; they, like Krishna and many other divinities currently enjoying great popularity, have been incorporated into mainstream Hinduism by suitable contrivances in the form of epics and puranas. For any dispassionate (free from unquestioning belief) appreciation of the Hindu religion, I feel it is necessary for the common man to enquire into what is it that he is believing so much and whether such belief is worth it?

I do not know on what basis you make the following statements:—

"Criticizing ones birth or their loved one is not in good taste. Majority of people come to forum to learn, others come to show off. It helps the seeker to learn other points of view without being lectured on."

I do not think I have ever "criticised" anyone for having been born as brahmin, though I believe that as descendants of the brahmins of yore who devised the caste system, we-the present day brahmins-cannot escape the results of those past Karmas; arguing that we were not "the same brahmins" who committed the original acts is of no avail because we as helpless human beings are very very incapable of understanding, much less in controlling the Law of Karma. That is why I believe the Gita says "karmaNi eva adhikArastE mA phalEshu kadAcana". I do not understand what you mean by "loved ones"; if you point out the instance/s where I have criticized any member's loved ones - as per my understanding, family, friends, etc. - I will readily apologize in the open forum and also refrain from repeating such mistakes in future.

(I hope what I write here does not again appear to you as being "lectured on"; if so, it is better that, in future, I stop responding even to your specific posts addressed to me.)

You are so learned person, some of your post is so informative, that I really enjoy reading. Please knock off that chip of your shoulder (that everything is the fault of brahmins). Like Krishna understood that He can not teach Yudhistira and sent him to Bhisma, may be you should also not necessarily teach everyone all the time.

Why is it that I get a feeling of being "lectured on"? Can you point out the posts in which I have said "everything is the fault of brahmins"?

If I knock off a "chip off my shoulder" I will become handicapped, plus I will have to unnecessarily incur huge surgery costs. I humbly believe that there is no chip on my shoulder and that your antennae somehow sense "an enemy" whenever you read my posts.

The length and breadth of the "scientific" studies of the Ancient Hindu Civilization will always lack depth if no comparative study is made with the probably parallel ancient Civilizations of South and Meso America. Why were the so very clever conquerors, so naive as to call them "Red Indians?". Why is it that any body that is armed with the Sanskrit [dhAtupATha] AND [tolkappiar] and Sanskrit and Tamil dictionaries can understand the languages of the ancient and modern day Mayan languages. And of course Suryasiddhantha has answers to why - we have Sunday, Monday, Tuesday... Saturday named after the planets. Anti Truth, Anti-Hindu former rulers have Goebelled and Goebelled about AIT and education of the Hindu by the Greeks, etc. etc. Has anybody any answers on why the particular sequence... Why is Sunday, Monday not followed by Thursday? is given in the Surya Siddhantha and any number of archeo astronomy treatises.

As Hindu - I am happy with truth and Ramayana and so are millions of kids - One of my favourite sayings of Forrest Gumph is. "I guess there is a time when you run out of stones." Perhaps there is a time when you run out out of stones and chappals too to throw on sacred monuments of the Hindus and disfigure them. The truth is - "scientific theories and paradigms do not change because of popularity contests... they change because proponents of the theories die out" The truths in Ramayana and Mahabharatha has survived for thousands of years in the face of innumerable attempts to decimation. The sheer genius for the survival of the Ramayana is greater than the survival of mortals. JAI SRI RAM

Dr. Dave is an alumni of IITM, and this review is from the monthly newsletter of iitm alumni (Oct 2011)

DR. N.R. DAVE (1965-BTCV) PENS BOOK ON
HINDU SCIENCE OF ARCHITECTURE
Dr. N.R. Dave (1965-BTCV), a well known Chartered Engineer and Social Worker from Chennai has made an indepth study of Hindu Science of Architecture and brought out the basic scientific principles and
methodologies adopted in the construction of ancient Temples, Palaces, Buildings and other Civil Structures in his book titled “A Study of The Hindu Science of Architecture & Its practice with special reference to Rajavallabha”.
This book will be a boon for modern Students of Civil Engineering and Architecture as it explains the five fundamental canons of Hindu Architecture clearly and vividly. The Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan has published this great work.
Dr.DAVE has divided his work in to two parts. The first part introduces the Hindu Science of Architecture, its history, its scope and subject matter and qualities of an architect. The study of five fine scriptures of V¢stu-¹¢stra-s namely Samar¢nga´a S¦tradh¢ra, Apar¢jita Pr¢chha, Manusy¢laya Candrik¢, Mayamata and R¢javallabha, on different aspects of V¢stu-¹¢stra
is praiseworthy.
The second part is a free translation of R¢javallabha from Sanskrit to Gujarati to English. R¢javallabha is a complete V¢stu scripture and Dr. Dave has translated it into English with great care perhaps for the first time
to see that it conveys the same meaning of Ac¢rya Ma´²ana who has written the original Sanskrit text. Explanations in the form of footnotes are provided for clear understanding of specific names and terminologies.

....ancient Civilizations of South and Meso America. Why were the so very clever conquerors, so naive as to call them "Red Indians?".
May be because they were arrogant and stupid??

BTW, the native populations of the Americas hate the term "Red Indian" and consider it an insult.

Cheers!

Excellent posts.
I am impressed by Happy Hindu's post#34,35.
Sarangs post#36.
and Sangom's post#37.
"Like Krishna understood that He can not teach Yudhistira and sent him to Bhisma, may be you should also not necessarily teach everyone all the time."

I thought a compliment to you Mr. Sangom.

"knock off the chip" is a figure of speech and not to be taken as surgical procedure.
I am sorry if that felt like lecturing, I would not do that to you sir.

The present day humans killed so many species, and their Neanderthal cousins. So many people were killed by Germans, British, american, etc. Are we responsible for all the atrocities performed by our ancestors. You will have to blame lot more than Brahmins. I do not know your level of knowledge about the history of all Brahmin. We all have limited knowledge, and so generalizing on the basis of a small sample is dangerous. If you know your family or you committed an atrocity you have every right to condemn it. You were born in pre-independence India, your forefathers helped the british to rule over India, do you take some responsibility for that? Where does it end. So my humble request is to you to stop blaming the rest of the brahmins. At least in their home, by their own. The plight of Pandits from Kashmir is well documented.
"chip on (one's) shoulderA habitually hostile or combative attitude."

Last edited:
The truths in Ramayana and Mahabharatha has survived for thousands of years in the face of innumerable attempts to decimation. The sheer genius for the survival of the Ramayana is greater than the survival of mortals. JAI SRI RAM

Shri Kailash,

Kamasutra, Arthasastra etc., also have survived similarly. But that does not make us to worship Vatsyayana or Chandrahupta Maurya or Vishnugupta as gods, why?

.....Enough of ramanujan for me!!
None of this speaks to whether Rama and Sita were denigrated in the essay in question. What you have presented is a classic example of ad hominem fallacy, attacking the person instead of the view expressed.

Leaving that aside, the poems you have reproduced show a conflicted man with some unresolved issues with his father. Father/son issues is not exactly new.

The poems also remind us how religious belief stole a great mathematical mind from humanity. But for his extreme Brahminical acharam, Ramanuja would not have fallen so sick in London that eventually resulted in his death at a very young age.

Cheers!

Faith in the existence or non-existence of God can not be proven or dis-proven by any scientific proof. So it is futile.
Believing in historical novel is upto the individual and open to interpretation.
In the west they still conduct study on Homer's epic and try to validate it.
Worshiping Krishna and Rama as God is cultural. I agree that Chandragupta Maurya should be given an exalted position in Indian History as the creator of India in modern time.

<edited and removed>
Please refrain from personally attacking another member

Last edited by a moderator:
At her time Indira Gandhi 'planted' a time-capsule for posterity and the oppositions then disputed its contents. Well, we do not know what the contents were. All histories were written by the most powerful ones perhaps. The veracity is as powerful as the power of the interpreter. In today's world the law or history can both be called as an ass unless the advocate can show it to us as otherwise!

History is always biased because it is an interpretation of an event that happened in the past. It goes to show the bias of the writer and the person who commissioned the work.

What is your personal grudge against which brahmin? Spit it out and then get it out of your system.
prasad1, if you are interested in decent exchange of views you will never find me not reciprocating. But you seem to relish making personally insulting comments all the time. This makes me want to avoid interacting with you.

FYI, I abhor Brahminism, I love Brahmins, I want all Brahmins to embrace reform and come out of caste-supremacist feeling. You may argue they have no such feelings, that is your view, but don't ever question my honesty and sincerity.

Now, I wonder whether you have read Ramanujam's bio, if you did, you wouldn't ask this question. It is not just being vegetarian, he insisted on cooking his own food, this meant often he went without food or with very little. This made him weak and susceptible to deceases. The reason he insisted on cooking his own food was his Brahmnical upbringing. This is what I was referring to.

prasad1, you may question my views, but you have no standing to question my motives.

Thank you ....

quote:=May be because they were arrogant and stupid?? uquote:= NO! Sirreee! NOT AT ALL! NOT AT ALL! and NOT AT ALL! (for emphasis). It was is and will be Political compulsions.
===
THE STUDY OF SANSKRIT IN RELATION TO MISSIONARY WOEK IN INDIA; AN INAUGURAL LECTURE DELIVERED BEFORE THE UNIVERSITY OF OXFORD, ON APRIL 19, 1861.BY MONIER-WILLIAMS, M.A.OF UNIVERSITY COLLEGE, OXFORD. BODEN PROFESSOR OF SANSKRIT, ETC

INDIA is of all the possessions of Great Britain the most interesting, and presents the most invit ing prospect to the missionary. He has there no common country or people to deal with, no ordi nary religion. He is not there brought in contact with savage trihes who melt away before the superior force and intelligence of Europeans. He is placed in the midst of a great and ancient peo ple, who, many of them tracing back their origin to the same stock as ourselves, attained a high degree of civilisation when our forefathers were barbarians, and had a polished language and lite rature when English was unknown. ...

And this brings me to the centre to which all my previous observations have converged, the use and importance of Sanskrit to the missionary,as the sacred and learned language of India, the repository of the Veda in its widest sense, the vehicle of Hindu theology, philosophy, and mytho logy, the source of all the spoken dialects, the only safe guide to the intricacies and contradictions of Hinduism, the one bond of sympathy, which, like an electric chain, connects Hindus of opposite characters in every district of India. There can be little doubt that a more correct knowledge of the religious opinions and practices of the San-skritic Hindus, or as we may call them the Hindus proper, is essential to extensive progress in our Indian missions*.

===

Chaqchiquel Maya Dictionary :- [ahpop] _n._ The head chief. “_El cacique mayor._[TN-33] See p. 36.#21 -

===

Populavuh :- Supposedly, one of the very few documents in Mayan that were permitted survival.

=== Sir Monier-Williams Dictionary 1899: 00023659 * [ah]1[ah]2 cl. 5. P. [ahnoti], to pervade or occupy[---] 00023660 * [aha]1['aha]1 ind. ( as a particle implying ascertainment, affirmation, certainty, &c. ) surely, certainly #RV. #AV. #ŚBr.[---] [popuva]2[popuva] mfn. ( fr. Intens. ) purifying much or repeatedly #Pā . 1-1, 4 #Sch.[---]

=== Political compulsions: Aryan Invasion theories are losing their sting with persons from India wanting to emigrate stating that as reason for visas.

Last edited:
<edited and removed> Please refrain from passing unsavoury comments and views.

"To conclude that following acharams and cooking own food resulted in ramanujan's death is a far-fetched statement not supported by facts."

Jumping from father hating ramanujan to math wizard ramanujan has been done with a hidden motive, I think.

Ramanujan
by G.H.Hardy

Excerpt from one of his lectures:

"His religion

Was he religious? Certainly he observed his duties as a high-caste Hindu assiduously, like being a faultless vegetarian and cooking all his food himself (after changing into his pyjamas first). And while his excellent Indian biographers (Seshu Aiyar and Ramachandra Rao) say he believed in the existence of a Supreme Being, in Kharma, Nirvana and other Hindu tenets, I suspect he was not affected by religion any more than as a collection of rules to be followed. He told me once, to my surprise, that all religions seemed to him to be more or less equally true.
Some thought, and may still think, of Ramanujan as a unintelligible manifestation of the mystic East. Far from it! He had his oddities, no doubt mostly originating from his different culture, but he was as reasonable, sane and shrewd as anyone I've met. He was a man in whom society could take pleasure, with whom one could sip tea and discuss politics or mathematics. He was a normal human being who happened to be a great mathematician."

Excerpt from his bio:

Ramanujan fell seriously ill in 1917 and his doctors feared that he would die. He did improve a little by September but spent most of his time in various nursing homes. In February 1918 Hardy wrote (see [3]):-
Batty Shaw found out, what other doctors did not know, that he had undergone an operation about four years ago. His worst theory was that this had really been for the removal of a malignant growth, wrongly diagnosed. In view of the fact that Ramanujan is no worse than six months ago, he has now abandoned this theory - the other doctors never gave it any support. Tubercle has been the provisionally accepted theory, apart from this, since the original idea of gastric ulcer was given up. ... Like all Indians he is fatalistic, and it is terribly hard to get him to take care of himself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back