• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

disenfranchisement of dr. subramaniam swamy

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunjuppu

swamy

here is something that should be a concern to swami fans. i do not understand this guy. he has been moving rightward to extreme hindutva stands, which is inimical to a united india. above all, this guy, is a decent economist who has credential enough to teach at harvard.

i do not know if his daughter's marriage to a muslim changed his mind. considering that he himself broke caste and religion, and married a parsi, i wonder, if that experience has turned him off ic/ir marriages. his wife is living in new delhi and is a practising lawyer there. swamy lives by himself, afaik in chennai.

whatever it is, i have always felt, that swami does not have the swave to be a politician. had he stuck with BJP, alteast he could have been some repute, instead of languishing in the backwaters of indian politics, aka, chennai. come to think of it, i feel that swami has a himalayan sized ego, which probably explains, why he is leading a party of one. :)

too bad. he could have been a world class economist. instead his a pygmy class politicians. some people's fate.

there are people here who feel that swami single handedly exposed the 2G scam. i have looked at all newspaper coverages outside of chennai, and i do not find his name mentioned anywhere. maybe there is a conspiracy? ;)

I really dont understand Indians..read this link and see some of the names of those who signed the petition.Disgraceful!!!!..thats all I can say..petitioning a fellow Indian.
If a Hindu voices his opinion he is called a fanatic and everyone criticizes him.
Its Harvard's loss and not Swamy's!!

Petition Calls Op-Ed by Harvard Summer School Instructor Offensive to Muslims

Article advocated for steps such as disenfranchising non-Hindus as a means of combatting terrorism, provoking outrage and calls for his ouster

By LEANNA B. EHRLICH, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER
Published: Wednesday, July 27, 2011​

photo.gif
UNKNOWN AUTHOR
Subramanian Swamy, seen above, is accused of penning an op-ed that is inflammatory towards Muslims.

A group of Harvard students have started a petition calling on the University to sever ties with Subramanian Swamy, a Harvard Summer School economics instructor who wrote an op-ed against Islamic terrorism that many have called offensive and inflammatory.
In an article published July 16 in the Indian newspaper Daily News and Analysis, Swamy recommended demolishing hundreds of mosques, disenfranchising non-Hindus who do not acknowledge their alleged Hindu ancestry, and banning conversion from Hinduism.
The op-ed came in response to a series of bombings in Mumbai that killed 23 on July 13.
“The first lesson to be learnt from the recent history of Islamic terrorism against India and for tackling terrorism in India is that the Hindu is the target and that Muslims of India are being programmed by a slow reactive process to become radical and thus slide into suicide against Hindus,” Swamy wrote.
His op-ed spurred over 200 people to sign a petition condemning Swamy and calling on Harvard to end its relationship with him.
“These are statements you’d expect a demagogue on the extreme right to say,” Umang Kumar, a student at Harvard Divinity School, said, “but a professor who comes here, who got his Ph.D. from Harvard?”
Kumar and Sanjay J. Pinto, a Ph.D. candidate in sociology and social policy, organized the petition with a small group of peers and then emailed it out to an initial group of 80 students.
“Both of us decided we really needed to take action,” Pinto said. “His comments are wrong on many levels. They put forth a vision of Indian society in which not all religious groups are welcome, which is very different from the India that both of us know.”
In an interview with The Crimson, Swamy said that he is a religiously tolerant person.
“I can’t condemn all Muslims. I’m not against them,” Swamy said. “I never said Muslims as a whole are terrorists.”
However, the petition accuses Swamy of using the July 13 bombings to write a piece that is inflammatory towards Muslims.
“Swamy has exploited this event not only to promote a vision of Indian society based on Hindu supremacy, but to disparage and cast suspicion on the entire Muslim community in India,” the petition states.
At the Summer School, Swamy teaches Economics S-110: “Quantitative Methods in Economics and Business” and Economics S-1316: “Economic Development in India and East Asia.”
In a statement sent by a spokesperson, Donald H. Pfister, the dean of Harvard Summer School, said that the school will examine the issue.
“At this point we have only a basic awareness of the situation and have not been contacted by the organizations involved," Pfister said. "Professor Swamy is a long-time member of the Harvard Summer School faculty who previously was a member of the Department of Economics here. We will give this matter our serious attention."
Pinto and Kumar plan to deliver their petition to the Harvard administration early next week.
“Swamy draws a lot of prestige and legitimacy from his position at Harvard,” Pinto said. “If the Hindu right were to come into power in India, he could very well be someone who takes up a position in government, so I think it’s important for members of this community to play a part in discrediting him and saying, ‘No, he does not represent us.’”
In India, Swamy leads the Janata party, a political party that held the majority of India’s Parliament decades ago but has since fragmented. At Harvard, he earned his Ph.D. in economics in 1965 and has served as an assistant and associate professor.
Swamy said that the Indian response to his op-ed has been positive.
“I don’t think anyone in India, except the left wing, has been upset by my article,” he said. “There has been wholesale support.”
But the backers of the petition were hardly supportive of the piece.
“Not allowing Hindus to convert to any other religion, not allowing other groups to vote unless they proudly declare their Hindu ancestry—it’s honestly kind of absurd,” Pinto said.
Kumar and Pinto both said that while freedom of speech is an integral part of a thriving academic community like Harvard, Swamy’s comments crossed a line.
“They stereotype an entire population of people,” Pinto said. “How can this man who expresses these views, who’s basically saying that India should only be for Hindus and not for other people, and denigrating all Muslims, how can he teach students at Harvard?”
—Staff writer Leanna B. Ehrlich can be reached at [email protected].

Last edited:
swamy

here is something that should be a concern to swami fans. i do not understand this guy. he has been moving rightward to extreme hindutva stands, which is inimical to a united india. above all, this guy, is a decent economist who has credential enough to teach at harvard.

i do not know if his daughter's marriage to a muslim changed his mind. considering that he himself broke caste and religion, and married a parsi, i wonder, if that experience has turned him off ic/ir marriages. his wife is living in new delhi and is a practising lawyer there. swamy lives by himself, afaik in chennai.

whatever it is, i have always felt, that swami does not have the swave to be a politician. had he stuck with BJP, alteast he could have been some repute, instead of languishing in the backwaters of indian politics, aka, chennai. come to think of it, i feel that swami has a himalayan sized ego, which probably explains, why he is leading a party of one. :)

too bad. he could have been a world class economist. instead his a pygmy class politicians. some people's fate.

there are people here who feel that swami single handedly exposed the 2G scam. i have looked at all newspaper coverages outside of chennai, and i do not find his name mentioned anywhere. maybe there is a conspiracy? ;)

Dear K:

The real issue here is "WHAT Swamy wrote", as per this:

The Crimson report went on to say:

“Swamy’s op-ed clearly crosses the line by demonizing an entire religious community and calling for violence against their sacred places,” Eck said, adding that Harvard has a moral responsibility not to affiliate itself with anyone who expresses hatred towards a minority group. “There is a distinction between unpopular and unwelcome political views.”
“[Swamy’s position on disenfranchisement] is like saying Jewish Americans and African Americans should not be allowed to vote unless they acknowledge the supremacy of white Anglo Saxon Protestants,” said History Professor Sugata Bose.​
Dean of the Summer School Donald H. Pfister explained that courses included in the catalog are chosen by individual departments.
“I find [Swamy’s] position reprehensible, but on the other hand, it is our duty to support departments and their offerings,” he said.
Philosophy Department Chair Sean D. Kelly, who also serves as vice-chair of the Faculty Docket Committee, initially defended the unanimous decision of Harvard’s Faculty Council to keep Swamy on the teaching roster as an effort to preserve free speech at the school and kick the vote to the faculty-wide meeting.
Kelly ultimately voted—as did an overwhelming majority of faculty members—for the amendment to remove Swamy’s courses. The revised catalog was consequently approved.
I was persuaded ... that the views expressed in Dr. Swamy’s op-ed piece amounted to incitement of violence instead of protected political speech,” he wrote in an email to The Crimson."

He is the Chief of Janata Party - a political Party that is nearly extinct in India....

His 2G "Scam" is using up all the oxygen, and I expect the whole thing will be exposed as as Media Hoopla signifying nothing - a Tempest in the Tea Pot - because there was no REAL Loss and a NOTIONAL loss of a mere Rs 2650 crores! Not the humongous Rs 176,000 crores that CAG claimed earlier!

I congratulate the Faculty of Harvard for seeing what's FREE speech and what's Hate Speech!

Good.

:)

Last edited:
Dear K:

The real issue here is "WHAT Swamy wrote", as per this:

The Crimson report went on to say:

“Swamy’s op-ed clearly crosses the line by demonizing an entire religious community and calling for violence against their sacred places,” Eck said, adding that Harvard has a moral responsibility not to affiliate itself with anyone who expresses hatred towards a minority group. “There is a distinction between unpopular and unwelcome political views.”
“[Swamy’s position on disenfranchisement] is like saying Jewish Americans and African Americans should not be allowed to vote unless they acknowledge the supremacy of white Anglo Saxon Protestants,” said History Professor Sugata Bose.​
Dean of the Summer School Donald H. Pfister explained that courses included in the catalog are chosen by individual departments.
“I find [Swamy’s] position reprehensible, but on the other hand, it is our duty to support departments and their offerings,” he said.
Philosophy Department Chair Sean D. Kelly, who also serves as vice-chair of the Faculty Docket Committee, initially defended the unanimous decision of Harvard’s Faculty Council to keep Swamy on the teaching roster as an effort to preserve free speech at the school and kick the vote to the faculty-wide meeting.
Kelly ultimately voted—as did an overwhelming majority of faculty members—for the amendment to remove Swamy’s courses. The revised catalog was consequently approved.
I was persuaded ... that the views expressed in Dr. Swamy’s op-ed piece amounted to incitement of violence instead of protected political speech,” he wrote in an email to The Crimson."

He is the Chief of Janata Party - a political Party that is nearly extinct in India....

His 2G "Scam" is using up all the oxygen, and I expect the whole thing will be exposed as as Media Hoopla signifying nothing - a Tempest in the Tea Pot - because there was no REAL Loss and a NOTIONAL loss of a mere Rs 2650 crores! Not the humongous Rs 176,000 crores that CAG claimed earlier!

I congratulate the Faculty of Harvard for seeing what's FREE speech and what's Hate Speech!

Good.

Feel like laughing reading about FREE SPEECH and HATE SPEECH!!!
Its not much different actually in the eyes of those who have some hidden agenda.

Does anyone have a copy of Swamy's editorial in DNA? They seem to have taken it out of their web.

I have very high regard for Professor Eck. If she found the write up offensive, then I would seriously consider her claim.

Regards,
KRS

Last edited:
Feel like laughing reading about FREE SPEECH and HATE SPEECH!!!
Its not much different actually in the eyes of those who have some hidden agenda.

Where is the hidden agenda here? Why would Harvard Faculty have anything "hidden" against Swamy?

Swamy showed his true color and the Harvard Faculty found it out, and the courses were removed, as per the Crimson article!

Where's the problem?

Last edited:
Where is the hidden agenda here? Why would Harvard Faculty have anything "hidden" against Swamy?

Swamy showed his true color and the Harvard Faculty found it out, and the courses were removed, as per the Crimson article!

Where's the problem?

I wasnt talking about Harvard!!!LOL

dear renu,

i think, personally, one can be a good indian, a good politician, a good hindu, and proud of all that at the same time.

to me rajaji, is the best example of a devout hindu indian politicians. his hinduism did not threaten anyone. it was of the best kind.

i dont know if you know, jayaram ramesh, is an ardent and erudite hindu. even though he is a member of MMS cabinet, he is proud of his vedic learnings, and does not hesitate to quote the same when appropritate, in public functions.

i think, swamy, in his frustration, crossed the line between decency and extremism. i do not know why. i have followed him for about 20 years, initially out of fascination, and then out of wonder, and of late out of disappointment bordering disgust.

india, like it or not, is a multi polar, multi ethnic, multi religious, and multi multi everything. it is a nation of minorities.

swamy has no franchise or base in india. i even wonder, why and what qualifies him to get so much space in the media. surely he does not deserve it, through his popular support base.

i hope he finds peace. for in his current position, with all the unwaranted stands that he takes on issues, i can only think, to put it mildly, that he is off his rocker.

that is what i think.

dear renu,

i think, personally, one can be a good indian, a good politician, a good hindu, and proud of all that at the same time.

to me rajaji, is the best example of a devout hindu indian politicians. his hinduism did not threaten anyone. it was of the best kind.

i dont know if you know, jayaram ramesh, is an ardent and erudite hindu. even though he is a member of MMS cabinet, he is proud of his vedic learnings, and does not hesitate to quote the same when appropritate, in public functions.

i think, swamy, in his frustration, crossed the line between decency and extremism. i do not know why. i have followed him for about 20 years, initially out of fascination, and then out of wonder, and of late out of disappointment bordering disgust.

india, like it or not, is a multi polar, multi ethnic, multi religious, and multi multi everything. it is a nation of minorities.

swamy has no franchise or base in india. i even wonder, why and what qualifies him to get so much space in the media. surely he does not deserve it, through his popular support base.

i hope he finds peace. for in his current position, with all the unwaranted stands that he takes on issues, i can only think, to put it mildly, that he is off his rocker.

that is what i think.

Fair enough but I feel we should be a little sympathetic to those of our own religion at least cos no one is thinking from his point of view.
We dont find others from Non Hindu religion " verbally shooting down" their own even for gravest crimes.

After all what did he actually say??Nothing much isnt it? There wasnt even loss of lifes for that.

Last edited:
renu, dear renus,

we are talking of two different cultures and standards.

in india, swamy can talk what he wants. nobody cares.

in the usa, where there is greater sensitivity, and also greater awareness of the power of words, these utterings by swamy are an issue. in fact, indians in the usa, i have found, are the foremost in terms of sensitivity and plaints re racism. they have a thin skin. so, i think, inthe same context, swamy is being judged and brought to the forefront, by indian americans, hindus or not.

swamy, it is feared, thanks to the calibre of his erudition, and also due to calibre of his students, has the power influence many future citizens, with his own warped view of indian society and history. it is pure fear mongering, and once unleashed, one never knows the consequences of the same. the usa, is very much now, aware of minorities and their sensitivities. had anyone spoken the same against hindus, i am quite sure, the same result would have happened.

it is just that no one talks about the pandits of kashmir, or the ill treatment of hindus in bangla desh. but that is another thread.....

renu, dear renus,

in the usa, where there is greater sensitivity, and also greater awareness of the power of words, these utterings by swamy are an issue. in fact, indians in the usa, i have found, are the foremost in terms of sensitivity and plaints re racism. they have a thin skin. so, i think, inthe same context, swamy is being judged and brought to the forefront, by indian americans, hindus or not.

swamy, it is feared, thanks to the calibre of his erudition, and also due to calibre of his students, has the power influence many future citizens, with his own warped view of indian society and history. it is pure fear mongering, and once unleashed, one never knows the consequences of the same. the usa, is very much now, aware of minorities and their sensitivities. had anyone spoken the same against hindus, i am quite sure, the same result would have happened.

it is just that no one talks about the pandits of kashmir, or the ill treatment of hindus in bangla desh. but that is another thread.....

Dear Kunjs,

For me the whole world is the same..its planet Earth..so if a person wants to say anything he should just say what he feels..so what if its USA??
Its only a piece of land in this earth like any other country.

Anway I admire him for speaking his thoughts out.Seldom we find a man with intelligence,bravery and good looks too.

Last edited:
I wasnt talking about Harvard!!!LOL

"Kelly ultimately voted—as did an overwhelming majority of faculty members—for the amendment to remove Swamy’s courses." In his mind,

Speech/writing inciting violence = Hate Speech; Political Speech = Free Speech.

Where's the confusion here?

Dear K and others:

In fact, Delhi Police has booked a FIR on Swamy against the same hate speech, as per Times of India, I read some time ago.

Wait & watch where that goes in India's court system.

"Kelly ultimately voted—as did an overwhelming majority of faculty members—for the amendment to remove Swamy’s courses." In his mind,

Speech/writing inciting violence = Hate Speech; Political Speech = Free Speech.

Where's the confusion here?

LOL!!! LOL!! LOL!!! you need a catalyst to figure out the answer..

renu, dear renus,

Dear K:

You called this Thread, "Disenfranchisement of Dr. Subramaniam Swamy"... slowly it goes to talk about culture in the USA!

I see this as purely a matter of Sub Swamy's writings Vs Harvard Faculty Members... they voted to remove his courses in the Summer for given reasons.

And, as I said, Swamy's writings infuriated many people in Delhi also - hence the Delhi Police has filed a FIR on him.

The problem is with Sub Swamy, not with people in India or the US, IMO.

Cheers.

Hey Folks,

All of you who wrote in this thread:

Have you or have you not read the original opinion editorial by Dr.SS in DNA published on 7/16/2011 in it's entirety.

If you have not, please do not pass judgement on Dr.SS's actions.

Just because a FIR is filed in a Delhi Court or the recommendation by a Minority Commission in Maharashtra asking for his trial, we should not think that he did anything wrong. Dear Sri Yamaka Ji, you know about the way things work in India?

As I have said, I admire Professor Diana Eck, based on her work on Hinduism, but that does not mean that she is correct on this issue. But the charge against Dr. SS is serious - 'inciting violence'. This needs to be verified. But, please do not 'shoot' a person based on some one else's opinion.

Any of you have read the original article?

Regards,
KRS

Strategy suggested by swamy in his article is given below. Full article is available at the link given.

How to wipe out Islamic terror - Subramanian Swamy, dnaindia.com

It is also a ridiculous idea that terrorists cannot be deterred because they are irrational and willing to die. Terrorist masterminds have political goals and a method in their madness. An effective strategy to deter terrorism is to defeat those political goals and to rubbish them by counter-terrorist action.Thus, I advocate the following strategy to negate the political goals of Islamic terrorism in India.

Goal 1: Overawe India on Kashmir.

Strategy: Remove Article 370 and resettle ex-servicemen in the valley. Create Panun Kashmir for the Hindu Pandit community. Look for or create an opportunity to take over PoK. If Pakistan continues to back terrorists, assist the Baluchis and Sindhis to get their independence.

Goal 2: Blast temples, kill Hindu devotees.

Strategy: Remove the masjid in Kashi Vishwanath temple and the 300 masjids at other temple sites.

Goal 3: Turn India into Darul Islam.

Strategy: Implement the uniform civil code, make learning of Sanskrit and singing of Vande Mataram mandatory, and declare India a Hindu Rashtra in which non-Hindus can vote only if they proudly acknowledge that their ancestors were Hindus. Rename India Hindustan as a nation of Hindus and those whose ancestors were Hindus.

Goal 4: Change India’s demography by illegal immigration, conversion, and refusal to adopt family planning.

Strategy: Enact a national law prohibiting conversion from Hinduism to any other religion. Re-conversion will not be banned. Declare that caste is not based on birth but on code or discipline. Welcome non-Hindus to re-convert to the caste of their choice provided they adhere to the code of discipline. Annex land from Bangladesh in proportion to the illegal migrants from that country staying in India. At present, the northern third from Sylhet to Khulna can be annexed to re-settle illegal migrants.

Goal 5: Denigrate Hinduism through vulgar writings and preaching in mosques, madrassas, and churches to create loss of self-respect amongst Hindus and make them fit for capitulation.

Strategy: Propagate the development of a Hindu mindset.

In an article published July 16 in the Indian newspaper Daily News and Analysis, Swamy recommended demolishing hundreds of mosques, disenfranchising non-Hindus who do not acknowledge their alleged Hindu ancestry, and banning conversion from Hinduism.
The article is no longer available at the newspaper website. Those of you who wish to read it can do so here - Dr. Subramaniam Swamy: "How to wipe out Islamic terror" - Atlas Shrugs

Here is an article on the moves taken by Swamy's collegues against him - Occupy Harvard, Subramanian Swamy teaching debated at faculty meeting | Harvard Magazine

Frankly, i liked Swamy. I liked the way he conducted himself even after he was attacked in chennai court. I thot he is doing a good job exposing politicians.

I read somewhere, all politicians do exposing jobs on opponents, only so that they get a chance to make money next. However, wud never include Swamy in the list of such wannabe moneymakers. He is a Prof, and i cud never consider him one of those regular politicians.

Must say i was taken aback to read his article on DNA when it was first published. I thot why does Swamy want all muslims to acknowledge their hindu past / hindu ancestry. Most muslims in india are converts from the low and the lowest of castes. I remember the furore of comments at that time, like

'i am tamil, we were not hindus', or
'how does he know my ancestors were hindu,' or
'hamare log gupta they, voh buddhist thay', or
'hindu means caste, i don't want caste' or
'he wants to insult us', or
'he wants to remind us we were untouchables', or
'we are muslims, that is his problem',
etc, etc.

I thot Swamy was all about "soft hindutva" until i read the article. Did not expect such views from someone having a muslim son-in-law himself.

When i read this statement by Swami "Even Parsis and Jews in India have Hindu ancestors", i cud not but smile. I thought maybe his parsi wife is not following his tambram customs so he is talking like that or what.

Any written format has its limitations, its not always possible to say "some are like that" or "some are not like that". Hence in the written format it would seem that generalisation is being done for the whole lot.

But Swamy is not guilty of generalising all muslims. He is guilty of considering every muslim a potential terrorist when he says "Muslims of India are being programmed by a slow reactive process to become radical and thus slide into suicide against Hindus". Wonder if he considers his son-in-law the same way....

I also thot Swamy must be kiding himself when he said "Maoists can be eliminated in a month, much as I did with the LTTE in Tamil Nadu, as a senior minister in 1991, or MGR did with the Naxalites in the early 1980s"

And i was thinking naxalism can be wiped out only when 'naxals' and others work together to remove oppression, caste and exploitation.

Swamy says "Declare caste is not birth-based but code of discipline based". I thot the problem was with Varna not Caste as mentioned here (though ofcourse both contributed to stratification of the society).

Anyways, now people are moving into different occupations. So infact, Swamy should say "Declare Varna is not birth-based but code of discipline based".

Again, instead of saying caste, Swamy should say "Welcome non-Hindus to re-convert to the varna of their choice". Infact he should extend the same welcome to all hindus also, so that they can convert to any varna of their choice.

I will wait for his future talks to see what he says about caste and varna.

I very much agree with Swamy on the Kashmir issue, on implementing Uniform Code, making sanskrit compulsary (atleast that way everybody will be forced to learn it) and singing Vande Mataram (i thot the muslim response to it was ridiculous).

Last edited:
Swamy's response:

Harvard setting a dangerous precedent: Subramanian Swamy
FP Staff Dec 8, 2011

Subramanian Swamy has said that the decision by Harvard university to
discontinue his classes is a “dangerous principle that stifles personal
opinion”. Commenting on the decision on his personal twitter feed Swamy said,
“I have been held accountable at Harvard for what I write in India.This means
India studies’ Witzel and Eck are accountable in India. Healthy?” Witzel and
Eck are professors at Harvard.

Disenfranchisement of Dr. Subramaniam Swamy

I admire Dr.Subramaniam Swamy for his bold statements and perseverance. Unfortunately some times his utterances land him in to trouble. However in this issue I agree with Dr. Swamy and feel the action of Harward University exposes their narrow mindedness and sets a dangerous precedent in gagging free speech.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

[h=3]I cannot believe this is America. Harvard deems truth 'reprehensible' -- Pamela Geller[/h]

Thursday, December 08, 2011

HARVARD DEEMS TRUTH "REPREHENSIBLE": FIRES SUBRAMANIAN SWAMY FOR EDITORIAL

Is it not central to this ivy league university and every institution in these United States to "to protect free speech, including that of Dr Swamy and of those who disagree with him"? Where does Harvard address the truths of Swamy's remarks, or the 80 million Hindus slaughtered in jihadi wars, land appropriations, cultural annihilations and enslavements? Harvard has removed Swamy's course from their curriculum over an editorial he wrote concerning the jihad in India. I ran it at Atlas here on July 18, 2011.

I cannot believe this is America.

Freedom of speech protects all speech not just the ideas that we like. That's the point. Who decides what's good and what's forbidden. Harvard? The Islamic supremacists seeking to impose the sharia restriction on free speech?

Harvard has been bought and sold to the highest sharia bidder (in December 2005, Saudi Prince Al-Waleed donated $20 million each to Harvard University and Georgetown University to fund Islamic studies).

I admire Dr.Subramaniam Swamy for his bold statements and perseverance. Unfortunately some times his utterances land him in to trouble. However in this issue I agree with Dr. Swamy and feel the action of Harward University exposes their narrow mindedness and sets a dangerous precedent in gagging free speech.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

sh.brahmanyan, i would agree with you, that, before sending for press, if Dr.Swamy had slightly paraphrased this replacing the word 'hindu' with 'indians'. I have added his para with this bracketed word (Indians)

Hindus (Indians) must collectively respond as Hindus(Indians) against the terrorist and not feel individually isolated or, worse, be complacent because he or she is not personally affected. If one Hindu(Indian) dies merely because he or she was a Hindu(Indian), then a bit of every Hindu(Indian) also dies. This is an essential mental attitude, a necessary part of a virat (committed) Hindu(Indians).

I thing this made a wide difference in chucking dr.swamy out of harvard.

I don’t know why swamy went on such a self destructive mode.

Being an Harvard academic for a long time, and also familiar with the usa mores, I cannot believe that he would go
On a spree of potential slander and ethno centric phraseology.

Swamy, I think, is blessed with a Himalayan sized ego, so that he could abide by the rules of BJP or
Vajpayee’s leadership.

I do not know if he will be reinstated, but even if he does, there is this smear of being disenfranchised, that will
Hang on his name.

For folks here, who disagree with Harvard, the American mores and standards are different from ours. I am
Not saying that the Americans are right. Or wrong here. It is just that the norms and mores are different.

To swamy, I see this as a loss of a valuable and prestigious forum to influence and present his views. Too bad. For I always feel, that it Is better to be heard partly than not be heard at all.

for those swami admirers here, who are upset, i can only say that there is no 'free speech' absolutely. it is also constrained
within the acceptable boundaries of a society. had such an article mentioned 'hindus' here instead of 'muslims', i am quite sure
the author would have been equally disenfranchised.

that is the USA. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back