• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Direction of God's Photo in Pooja Room

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem as I have said often is that Astrologers have become spiritual and religious advisors. They have taken over the Hindu religion. And with the assistance of the so called Anmikam magazines (which are pure and simple money making ventures) they have been propagating their views.

Some years back I had visited the Athishtanam of my Parmeshti Guru. I spent a couple of days at the temple. I was there the entire two days from the time the temple opened to the time the temple closed.

On the final day I was doing Namaskaram to my Guru's samadhi. There was a young man at the temple. He stopped me from doing the namaskaram saying that is should be done only in a particular direction and said what I was doing was wrong. Talking about Yamah.

I quoted "Chandra shekaramasraye mama kim karishyathi vai yama" and did the namaskaram.

What is important and essential is Bhakthi/devotion. Other things are of secondary importance only. Please follow the rules if it is practicable.

GOD is waiting to reward the Bhaktha.

This morning also, I had an interaction with a Josier who is an expert
in Vaastu aspects. He is very clear in his mind that Pooja Room is
kept in a house to seek peace and prosperity. He emphasizes that
north-east or ishanya place is more ideal and an excellent location.
Further, he emphasizes that north east brings prosperity, good health
and wealth, etc to the owner of the house besides peace of mind.
Hence, it is an auspicious place. Above all, he has a point to stress
that sunrays in the morning will directly fall from north east and that would
produce positive energy. He made it clear that location of puja room
in the kitchen could be avoided. Further, it should not be near toilet or
bedroom.

Shri Bala,

We have today experts on many subjects like vaastu, feng shui and what have you. But we people generally tend to believe whatever these 'so-called' experts say, but we do not ourselves bother to read, learn and understand the sciences of which they claim to be experts.

Vaastu is a science on buildings when each construction had only one level for habitation (single story buildings, that is). One of the first cardinal principles of Vaastu is that every plot of land should ideally be a perfect square, or, as the second best choice - as near to a perfect square as possible (i.e., width and length should be as near to equal as possible). The principles of vaastu apply only to such constructions. If there is a very longish plot, a square portion has to be marked out, fenced and a special "vaastu poojaa" is to be performed and the "vaastu purusha" to be installed in that (square) portion, before building on that portion. If some change is made, knowingly or unknowingly, to the four sides of this marked and sanctified portion, the vaastu purusha will leave that plot and the principles of vaastu will not apply until and unless a fresh pooja is performed.

These being the basic maxims of vaastu saastra, all the talk of vaastu to the many floored flats or buildings in plots of all kinds of geometrical shapes, is just meaningless.

Sunrays in the mornings will fall from the north-east only during part of the extreme uttaraayana -months of March and April possibly. Morning Sunlight will shine from the south-east during the months of September and October because of dakshinaayana in places near the equator. For Chennai (13 degrees north latitude) the sun will shine from direct east or from the south-east most of a year. You may thus know how gullible we usually are and how well these josiers know our ignorance!!

Our Sastras say that kitchen is one of the best places to keep or do poojas; in fact in some Kerala temples there is a ganapathy pratishtai in the temple kitchen and this is called "agrasaala ganapathy". Isaana kone (ஈசான கோண்) is preferred for pooja room because the vaastu purusha is considered to always keep his head in the North-East of the plot and his legs in the South-West, or the Nirriti kone is considered inauspicious.

Last edited:
The problem as I have said often is that Astrologers have become spiritual and religious advisors. They have taken over the Hindu religion. And with the assistance of the so called Anmikam magazines (which are pure and simple money making ventures) they have been propagating their views.

Some years back I had visited the Athishtanam of my Parmeshti Guru. I spent a couple of days at the temple. I was there the entire two days from the time the temple opened to the time the temple closed.

On the final day I was doing Namaskaram to my Guru's samadhi. There was a young man at the temple. He stopped me from doing the namaskaram saying that is should be done only in a particular direction and said what I was doing was wrong. Talking about Yamah.

I quoted "Chandra shekaramasraye mama kim karishyathi vai yama" and did the namaskaram.

What is important and essential is Bhakthi/devotion. Other things are of secondary importance only. Please follow the rules if it is practicable.

hi
nice to see u again sir...

...What is important and essential is Bhakthi/devotion. Other things are of secondary importance only. Please follow the rules if it is practicable.

I have a different take on this. I had a similar incidence in my poorvashrama. I was doing my sandhyavandhanam facing East in the morning, in Ahobila Matam. One of the paricharaka directed me to face the sannidhi -- apparently, when doing sandhya japam in a sannidhi facing the sannidhi takes precedence over stipulated direction. At that time I was glad to have learned that rule.

Yes, I no longer remain in the fold of the faithful. But I think if one wants to be rational about it, then we need to be rational enough to let reason take us wherever it takes us, and examine every aspect of our faith and see whether it can stand up to rational scrutiny. However, if you are convinced of the claim, "GOD is waiting to reward the Bhaktha", don't you want to follow what GOD prescribes as the right conduct? Should your Bhakti not be strong enough to study and understand these rules and follow them to the best of your ability? To rationalize and follow rules as "practicable" is to follow rules only when convenient, or not at all.

Some keep a Mandapam in the Puja room and decorate the
Ishta Devata or Kula Devata Murti Idol besides the picture,
according to their choice and taste and do worship, Pujas, etc.
Some prefer only a traditional method. Some like to have a
separate space for chanting mantras. Some like to have a hall
like place for chanting mantras in a group and do bhajans, etc.
Some just keep a shelf or a rack just to keep the pictures with
a door for closing it, so as to avoid going near while one is on the
period, etc due to shortage of dwelling area.

Balasubramanian

Dear Biswa Sir,

I was expecting this Q (from you!?). I won't go to the North pole to do any poojA. :nono:

If some one else goes to do poojA, they can opt to fix the God's picture on the ceiling and

do namaskaram lying on the floor facing the God so as to face the North. :cool:

Well said. Raji madam has all the answers. :)

Dear Sir

Please let me know where is the Athishtanam of your parameshti Guru. I would like to pay to visit to the saint.

Regards
Srimadhan

Last edited:
If you are interested to visit Athishtanam of Paramacharyaa
(Maha Periyavaa) you may visit Shri Mutt, Kancheepuram and
for earlier Heads of Shree Mutt you may visit Kalavai, where
you can seek your blessings. You can collect a book from
Shri Mutt Kancheepuram, you will find all the Heads of Shri Mutt
from its inception. It gives complete details including about
Aadhi Shankara.

Balasubramanian

According to Vaastushastra,

1) The Puja Ghar or the room for worship of god, in the building should be in the east, the north or the north-east directions. The south corners should be avoided.
2) The idols should either be in the east or the west of the Puja Ghar. The idols should not face the north or the south directions. If they face northwards, the devotees will look southwards, which is not considered auspicious in Vastu Shastra.
3) The Puja room should have doors and windows in the north or the east directions.
4) The Homkund or Agnikund, a pit for sacred fire, should be placed in the south-east direction of the worship room. The sacred offerings to the fire should be made while facing eastwards.
5) Furnitures in the Puja Ghar should be kept in the west or the south walls.
6) Photographs or Posters of the deities or the idols should never be placed near the northern or the southern walls.

Directions (NEWS) have no relevance. If you place god's photo facing east, in your Chennai home, the line of direction will stretch all around the (almost round) globe and reach back from the west. Similarly, for north-facing photos/idols, the "drishti" of the god will stretch, pass through the north pole, again the south pole and come back from the south.

The sanctity of directions, the four cardinal points & the four intermediate points, etc., were notions started when the world believed in a flat earth, surrounded by the "dyaus" or sky. These may not have any great relevance now.
OMG! Look at YOUR plight!! :tsk:

When You face the East, Your 'drishti' has to "stretch all around the (almost round) globe and reach back from the West."

I thought, whoever faces the East, his / her 'drishti' comes from the West! It is as simple as that!! :)

Guru Vandanam is something unique. One can chant Guru Padhukas
Stotram daily. It is mentioned that worship of Guru Padhukas
removes the impurities in the mind bestowing purity of the mind. For
everyone Lord Shiva is the highest Guru and in that process, our
Maha Periyavaa is the Parameshti Guru for all of us, who can bestow
moksha and liberation from this life to us by dedicated devotion towards HIM.

Hara Hara Shankara Jaya Jaya Shankara

Om Nama Shivaya

Balasubramanian

Thank you sir. I have deleted the same. Sir - Is mahaperiyava your parameshti Guru?

NO. He is not my Parameshti Guru. We have a sampradhaya which is very old.

I understand your enthusiasm for visiting the samadhi of my parameshti Guru. But I am not posting his name here because I do not want to start a discussion on him or my Sampradhaya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back