• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Did you know that...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Customs depends on place and time. By adding religion to a custom, we try to give it more significance. The traditional way to enforce a custom we put guilt on the followers. This is common in all society. Generally it is the dominent group that wants to control others who become the cultural police.
http://www.iloveindia.com/indian-traditions/bindi.html

Bindi

Bindi can usually be described as a traditional red circular mark or dot worn by the Indian women on their forehead. When this is accompanied by a vermillion mark on the parting of hair just above the forehead, it indicates that the particular lady is married. The term 'bindi' is derived from the Sanskrit word 'bindu' meaning "a drop or a small dot or particle". Even though traditionally, bindi is a red colored dot, it can be worn in other colors also, like yellow, orange and so on. The shape and size of the bindi can also vary.

Conventionally, it's the Hindu married women who wear bindi. But, this mark can have several meanings and so, you may also see unmarried girls and even children wearing it. It's the occasion, the color of the bindi and its shape that determines what it denotes. The customary bindi is made with red sindoor powder. The bindi is called the tilak when it's applied on the forehead of a person, at the conclusion of a religious function or havan.

The purpose of wearing a bindi can also vary. If it covers the entire forehead in three horizontal lines, then it denotes the wearer is an ascetic or belongs to a particular sect (like Brahmin). Sometimes, the bindi is used for mere beautification purpose by females. In this case, you may also find her wearing a small jewelry instead of the typical red dot. Though in India, a widow cannot wear a vermillion, she is free to sport a bindi.

Bindi is called by different names in different languages of India. Thus, alternative names for bindi is Pottu in Tamil and Malayalam, Tilak in Hindi, Bottu or Tilakam in Telugu, Bottu or Tilaka in Kannada and Teep meaning "a pressing" in Bengali. Sometimes, the terms sindoor, kumkum, or kasturi are used depending upon the ingredients used in making the Bindi mark. Thus, this article provides you a brief idea about what is bindi.

http://hinduism.about.com/od/bindis/a/bindi.htm
In southern India, girls choose to wear a bindi, while in other parts of India it is the prerogative of the married woman. A red dot on the forehead is an auspicious sign of marriage and guarantees the social status and sanctity of the institution of marriage. The Indian bride steps over the threshold of her husband's home, bedecked in glittering apparels and ornaments, dazzling the red bindi on her forehead that is believed to usher in prosperity, and grants her a place as the guardian of the family's welfare and progeny.

http://www.saywhydoi.com/bindis-why-do-indians-wear-a-red-dot-on-their-forehead/
Access to spiritual planes: The chakras that are higher up in the body are said to be more closely connected with subtle energy where deities and other powerful spiritual powers dwell. Along with the other reasons described, this is another one of the reasons you’ll often see Hindu priests wearing a bindi-like mark on their forehead. Marking this spot is also common for both men and women during many religious times in Hinduism including during ritual worship (called Puja). Superstitious folk believe that the third eye’s spiritual nature means that a bindi in this location can protect one from negative energies.
Access to kundalini energy: According to Vedic scriptures, each chakra center contains special energy called kundalini energy. When a chakra is open it can leak out energy. The bindi is said to protect against energy loss and strengthen the energy in the third eye and of the body in general.

If this is the true meaning then why only married women were "required" to wear it.

You can justify any position on the basis of your interpretation of "religion".

Last edited:
Kumkum is a defined method of Shakti. To preserve Sanatana Dharma or Hindu Culture,
and also to preserve the sacredness and auspiciousness, kumkum is applied by the ladies
on the forehead. One can also notice Hindu women applying kumkum in the centre
parting of their hair on the top of the forehead in addition to the forehead. This is to
indicate marrital status of a woman. Normally, male members walk straight upright
while ladies prefer walking with head down. According to our puranas, in order to
symbolise the marital status, kumkum is applied on top of the forehead. All the Hindu
customs have some scientific reasons. For example, like wearing bangles, Kolusu for
ankle, chains, etc Above all, the bright red colour on the forehead enhances the
beauty of the women. Above all, Hindus attach great importance to this ornamental
mark on the forehead between the two eyebrows, i.e. a spot considered a major
nerve point in human body, one of the seven chakras, since ancient times.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Here in Malaysia schools do not allow bangles,chains.
Only ear studs are allowed.
Make up is also banned.
Bindis are allowed for Indians who wear it( but not fancy designs..just a single color is allowed)

In Chennai Airport I saw a very beautiful lady-
a well tanned foreign tourist,.
She wore a bindi and had green stone studded nose ring.
She was very proud of those and said she will continue to wear them always.
After all, it is the personal preferences that matter.

Last edited:
Keeping bhindi ,wearing jeans, keeping short hair etc.are individual's choice and preference.Interfering in these things will only create friction and resentment.As long as girls resort to traditional dress code during festivals and solemn occassions it is ok to have their freedom on other occassions.

Little girls revolt. When we tell them NOT to do something
they would do it more number of times
just to tease us and irritate us. :boink:
Believe me. I know what I am saying!!!

Dear Renuka,

I read all your messages and that of Shri TVK about girls wearing pottu/bindhi, golusu, bangles, jimiki, flowers on head etc..etc..

The thing is, it is not that guys including me who all are feeling sorry for finding girls not wearing all these are not actually "complaining" about the girls harshly, (after all we guys can recognize the beauty of girls in some way without having them wearing all this) BUT are really saddened to have lost the pleasures of finding such beauty in the girls that vibrates well by wearing all these, making them charm full and looking pleasant.

It reflects well the ethnic identity of Indian girls in all its glory and gives us guys the moral boost that our Indian girls still value, respect, admire and enjoy the unique Shringaar and the special beauty that such Shringaar gives with its very soothing and mesmerizing effects.

It's our "Aathangam" dear sister Renuka!!!!!

I know you consider me as your brother and you would not mind me asking you a very personal question. :)

What do you think your husband feels? Have you ever checked with your husband as how charm full he wants you to be appearing for him with such Shringaar? And, if at all your husband openly expresses as how he wish to see you, say at least on specific days of a week (egg. Tuesdays and Fridays) could you ever allow yourself to have those things and make your hubby happy, not taking it negatively that your husband is controlling you and snatching away your liberty from you? :p

As far as I have observed so fare till today, all the Indian guys, southies and northies, all are yearning to find todays girls with bindhi, bangles, jimiki etc...

If astonishingly we could find a girl in such a getup, we all guys for sure do a double take without fail!!!!!

I have a dreamy wish that a revolutionary fashion movement should erupt among the Indian girls on their own to revert back to such Alangaaram with all their enthusiasm and determination..

:)

As Shri Sadasivam sridharan has said, at least if girls resort to traditional dress codes and Alangaram during festivals and solemn occasions, then that would be much much better and convincing then not having such things at all, ever.

Keepingbhindi ,wearing jeans, keeping short hair etc. are individual's choice andpreference. Interfering in these things will only create friction andresentment .As long as girls resort to traditional dress code during festivalsand solemn occasions it is ok to have their freedomon other occasions.
(Note: I have taken the liberty of correcting the spelling for occassions as found in the original post)

It is funny that only Hindu women exercise such “individual's choice and preference”. Why don’t our muslim sisters exercise such a choice and come out of their veil (pun intended)? Or is it that they have greater affinity and pride in following and displaying their cultural identity?

Bindi or Tilak has had a hoary (meaning venerable ) tradition not only in our culture, but also in our languages. You talk of nadikar thilagam (Sivaji Ganesan), Mangayar Thilagam ( anybody you know?), Makkal Thilagam (MGR), etc why ? What is so great about that word?

Last edited:
#5. Amazonite.

thumbnail.aspx
thumbnail.aspx

Amazonite or "Amazon stone" is a green variety of microcline feldspar. Certain green stones were formerly obtained from Amazon River, but it is doubtful whether actually green feldspar occurs in the Amazon area.

Amazonite is a mineral of limited occurrence. Formerly it was obtained almost exclusively from the area of Miass in the Ilmen mountains in Russia-where it occurs in granitic rocks. More recently, high-quality crystals have been obtained from Pike's Peal Colorado and Crystal Park , El P County, Colorado.

Other localities which yield Amazonite include the Morefield Mine in Amelia, Virginia.

Because of its bright and attractive green color when polished, amazonite is sometimes cut and used as a gemstone although it is easily fractured. For many years, the source of amazonite's color was a mystery.

Naturally, many people assumed the color was due to copper because its compounds often have blue and green colors. More recent studies suggest that the blue-green color results from small quantities of lead and water in the feldspar.

Attachments

• amzonite.jpg
    amzonite.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 110
Why don’t our muslim sisters exercise such a choice and come out of their veil (pun intended)? Or is it that they have greater affinity and pride in following and displaying their cultural identity?
Dear Naina Sir, either it could be that the girls find it comfortable and do it as their individual choice ( or family, community choice) or it could be the muslim laws would be very strict and binding on the community of do this and be with us or do that and get out?

But is it 100% that muslim women wear burka's in all the muslim populated world? Are there no exceptions? I think Ravi Sir can tell us the live situation from Dubai?

Cheers

But is it 100% that muslim women wear burka's in all the muslim populated world? Are there no exceptions? I think Ravi Sir can tell us the live situation from Dubai?

Cheers

Shri Manoharkumar,

All the girls/ladies as nationals UAE, Doha, Qatar, Bahrain, Yemen, Oman, Kuwait, Soudi Arabia are into wearing viel/burkha. Indonesian females wear only veil.

But there are many other Musmlim girls/ladies from India, Srilanka, Bangladesh, Iran, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Uzbekhistan, Armenia etc who do not use veil/burkha. They don't wear them not only in UAE but in their home country too, as a mater of their personal choice.

In my observation so far, I have not found any Indian Muslim girls/ladies in veil/burkha, here in Dubai, unless the ladies are old fashioned/religiously inclined, belonging to previous generation.

Dear Naina Sir, either it could be that the girls find it comfortable and do it as their individual choice ( or family, community choice) or it could be the muslim laws would be very strict and binding on the community of do this and be with us or do that and get out?

Cheers

I can not give first hand information, but in Turkey, Tunisia, Jordan and Maldive the law does not enforce the dress code.
You need to separate Muslim-religious country, Muslim majority country, Muslim minority country. And again you need to separate orthodox-muslims dress code, state-enforced dress code, occasional dress of muslim women.

Last edited:
Dear MK Ji

No Bindi, No Flowers, No Bangles - No Identity Crisis :

Watch this, if you haven't already.

Yay Yem

Attachments

• WOW.JPG
    WOW.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Dear MK Ji

No Bindi, No Flowers, No Bangles - No Identity Crisis :

Watch this, if you haven't already.

Yay Yem

"O"....What a natural beauties...!!..How will they identify each other in the photo...? ..Will they mark i.2,3...from left to

right/right to left....?

TVK

I can not give first hand information, but in Turkey, Tunisia, Jordan and Maldive the law does not enforce the dress code.
You need to separate Muslim-religious country, Muslim majority country, Muslim minority country. And again you need to separate orthodox-muslims dress code, state-enforced dress code, occasional dress of muslim women.

Neither Malaysia, Indonesia nor Brunei enforce the hijab on the general level. These 3 are Muslim majority and also I'd say Muslim-religious (at least Malaysian constitution clearly says Islam is the national religion).

post 1732 #
dear ravi !
you have very nicely narrated the expectation of men whether young or old .we say it cos we worship beauty &the lakshmikaram look .it is not male domination and only the athangam.even ladies like men to have vibhuthi or sandal paste in their forehead.some argument may come that they can not attend the office with pottu.they follow at least while in home/attending temple
guruvayurappan

post 1738 #
dear AM !
i could control my laugh after seeing your post .what is the purpose taking photo of camouflaged persons .he may be a expert to identify person with their contourநேளிவு சுளிவு தெரிந்தவர்
guruvayurappan

dear VR !
no BSNL staff is deputed for telephone cleaning.all private people to earn a living just like some muslim put sambrani smoke in all shop (to boost the sale in shops ).i found the muslim put sambrani smoke even in hindu temple complex
guruvayurappan

post 1670 #
after reading your post ,e incidence in our street come to my mind . all the ladies in our street were giving the left out rice ,sambar ,rasam,curd ,pickles etc to one lunatic condition lady .but that lady will pass comment.she will say how all your husbands are with you after eating this tasteless food?(இந்த சாப்பாட்டை சாப்பிட்டுவிட்டு எப்படித்தான் உன் புருஷன் குடும்பம் நடத்தி பிள்ளை தந்தானோ ?)after these comment all stooped giving food to that lady.

post1673 #
dear vr !
ஆமாம் .சேவை செய்ய பிழிய வேண்டாமா ? ஆகவே மாவு போன்ற ஒத்தாசை செய்ய வந்தவர்களை பிழிந்து விட்டார்கள்
guruvayurappan

post1697 #
dear MK !
any dress is beautiful &acceptable if it is worn in a proper manner .you can be vulgar in traditional dress also if not dressed in correct manner .the madisaar saree is utilised for kuthupattu nowadays and it is really paining
guruvayurappan

Mr. Naina-Marbus,
It is funny that only Hindu women exercise such “individual's choice and preference”. Why don’t our muslim sisters exercise such a choice and come out of their veil (pun intended)? Or is it that they have greater affinity and pride in following and displaying their cultural identity?

I generally try not to pick a fight.
But your statement is objectionable on two counts.
You are telling the women folks as to what they should do.
Secondly comparing or contrasting a person of other religion what they should do.

It should be women's prerogative as to how they should dress.
If in some parts of the world or in some other religion they choose to dress differently again it is their right.
I understand in some intolerant society free will is frowned upon, but that does not give you special powers to enforce your morality.

I do not think you wanted to be rude, but it does sound rude from where I judge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back