• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Did Sri Rama had an elder Sister named Santa?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sri Rama had an elder Sister named Santa

Shanta is said to be the daughter of Dasharatha and given to Romapada in adoption, and Rishyasringa marries her alone. This is what Sumantra says to Dasharatha at 1-9-19.

Valmiki Ramayana - Bala Kanda in Prose Sarga 11

Kindly enlighten on this please.

Dear sir,

Yes.
She was the 1st born of Dasharatha through Kausalya.
Dasharatha was not happy with a girl being his 1st born and he gave her away to his cousin Romapada.
After that Dasharatha remained childless.

She grew up and married Rishyasringa who did the Putrkamesthi Yagna for Dasharatha.

Dear Sir
Does it mean even during Dasaratha period girl child was unwanted!!
No wonder the same tradition continues among many Hindus.

Dear Sir
Does it mean even during Dasaratha period girl child was unwanted!!
No wonder the same tradition continues among many Hindus.

Dear Sir,

All I read that he was not too happy and wanted a son.
I don't know about the unwanted part.

I hope I am not quoted out of context.

Sir ,
Unhappy means unwanted? why one should be unhappy unless he does not want it.
Even Seemadha Mantram contains prayer for male child only.

All I read that he was not too happy and wanted a son.
I don't know about the unwanted part.
I hope I am not quoted out of context.
Here is a version of the story:

Kausalya (Kosala Kings daughter) and Dasaratha were closely related, but they were not aware.
Kausalya gave birth to a female child who unfortunately had a disability in the leg.
Even with the efforts of the best doctors, nothing could be done.
On the advice of sage Vasishta who deemed the handicap due to marriage between close cousins the child was given in adoption to a divine couple. With due care and treatment, later, the disability was rectified.
Dasaratha then married Sumitra and Kaikeyi to beget healthy progeny.

Sir ,
That means the practice of marrying among close cousins existed even during Dasaratha Period; when a female child was born with a defect , even the King felt unhappy and gave it away to someone for adoption!!!
Many female children are born today with defects to even poor parents, but they do not give up and but try their best to bring that child with at most care and affection.

Sir ,
That means the practice of marrying among close cousins existed even during Dasaratha Period; when a female child was born with a defect , even the King felt unhappy and gave it away to someone for adoption!!!

False Assumption. Looks like sage Vashishta suggested the King that the girl would be healed by giving her for adoption. She was adopted by another famous anga king Romapada or chitraratha. Sage Rishyasringa [by whose simple visit to Ayodhya, there was heavy downpour of rain (after drought), and Dasaratha gave his daughter in marriage to that sage], That sage was the chief guest/priest of PutrakAmEshti Yaga performed by Dasaratha. A daughter has to be anyway given in marriage, only a son can be heir to the family lineage. Valmiki Ramayana - Bala Kanda But, families take care of all their children. Sambhandi (in marriage), means both parties have equal responsibilities in deciding their prospects and problems forever.

Seems like Ravana heard a asariri like Kamsa. Like Hiranyakasipu treated Prahlad, Kowsalya was thrown into the sea at Ravana's command. Dasaratha happened to save her. Here is the link , where I read about this story. Did Rama Have A Sister?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back