• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Dhanushkodi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you Sir..But.. I myself have taken No. of photos ..the Dhanushkodi of to-day.. But what I am interested is photo/photos of this town before the cyclone... Eventhough I was in that town for more than three days.. from 15th December 1964.. just 8 days before the killer cyclone.. neither I didn't have a camera nor no-body expected that calamity... I still rember the original post office..the streets..the houses which are all nothing but sand dunes to-day..

TVK

yes I too want to see photos of Dhanuskodi town. when we had been to Rameshwaram in 1998 we went all the way to the end by a special van. we were shown Dhanuskodi's RS in tact. My father as a salesman had gone to Dhanuskodi number of times. In 1964 I was settled in Delhi; I was closely watching the tragedy,my heart broke. can we ever recover the town. Dwarka city in Gujarat also had gone like that centuries ago.

Mr Prasadji - I am sorry I could not make it properly. It does not look like Dhanushkodi. Am I wrong?

Yes.. the photos are not of Dhanushkodi...just some Buses playing in different routes... Some pictures are taken in the Road Bridge from Mandabam to Rameswaram..which was built in 1988...

TVK

I am attaching herewith the Remains of Dhanushkoti after the Storm of Dec / 1964. I was 4 and half years old when my father was The Station Master of Pamban by that time.

A Christian by name Shri Paul was the Station Master of Rameswaram few months before Storm. A Congress lady M.P from W.Bengal (Smt Tharakeswari Sinha) visited Rameswaram at that time.

On those days Station Master is the Only Top Govt Official in that Island. She inquired Mr.Paul ,Station Master of Rameswaram to Guide her the Way to Temple.

This Fanatic Christian Station Master Showed her The Way to Rameswaram Beach instead of showing her the way to Temple.

The M.P suffered a Lot because of the Misguided S.M and took up this issue in Parliament.

She argued that The Dakshin Railway is Il Treating Hindus by engaging a Christian as The Station Master in that Little island.

After this incident My Father Shri T.K.Swaminatha Iyer is Transferred from Pamban to Rameswaram. During Storm he was the Station Master there. He Retired from Railway service (as Station Master Gr 1) on September / 1969.

Watch the videos of the Remains of Dhanushkoti from this video.

Dhanushkodi - YouTube

Last edited:
I am attaching herewith the Remains of Dhanushkoti after the Storm of Dec / 1964. I was 4 and half years old when my father was The Station Master of Pamban by that time.

A Christian by name Shri Paul was the Station Master of Rameswaram few months before Storm. A Congress lady M.P from W.Bengal visited Rameswaram at that time.

On those days Station Master is the Only Top Govt Official in that Island. She inq

The attachements are not there..Anyway thanks for the information...

TVK

Click the Dhanushkoti - You Tube (Red in Colour) You get the videos of Danushkoti.

The word Danush - means Bow and Koti means edge.

It is the meeting spot of Bay of Bengal and Indian Ocean in Southern Peninsula.

On one side (Bay Of Bengal) will be like a Massive Lake and on the right Indian Ocean which will be very Rough Sea.

We can see Ramsethu from that place. It is said in Ramayana that Lord Shri Ram has performed Sangalpa Pooja after the Demise of his father Dhasaratha Maharaj there.

That is why doing Sangalpam in Danushkoti is very very blessed.

Last edited:
Click the Dhanushkoti - You Tube (Red in Colour) You get the videos of Danushkoti.

The word Danush - means Bow and Koti means edge.

It is the meeting spot of Bay of Bengal and Indian Ocean in Southern Peninsula.

On one side (Bay Of Bengal) will be like a Massive Lake and on the right Indian Ocean which will be very Rough Sea.

We can see Ramsethu from that place. It is said in Ramayana that Lord Shri Ram has performed Sangalpa Pooja after the Demise of his father Dhasaratha Maharaj there.

That is why doing Sangalpam in Danushkoti is very very blessed.

Thanks for posting the Dhanushkodi TO-DAY.. But What I request is if anybody is having photos of this Danushkodi Town BEFORE the cyclone...

The sea both bay of Bengal & Indian ocean ..were roughly 2 KM away from what you are seeing to-day near to the ruins of the church.. I saw it in 1964..and I was 17 years old by that time..

TVK

The extreme South-western part of Dhanushkodi facing Gulf of Mannar has been steadily submerging even before the 1964 cyclone.I visited Dhanushkodi in Feb 2011 and found the sea on the Gulf of Mannar side from the church about 1/2 km from it. My grandfather was an employee of Southern Railways ,from 1919-1928 or 1929, working at the jetty on the eastern part of Dhanushkodi facing Palk Straits. The Boatmail used to halt there for ferrying passengers to Columbo. My father and his elder brother were born at Dhanushkodi and studied at Dhanushkodi middle school (Which later became High school). After retirement my grandfather settled at Swamimalai. I visited Dhanushkodi in Sep 1964 with my father some months before the cyclone. I was 8 years old then. I still vividly remember the town, its lay-out, its buildings, the bathing ghats, the school my father studied and the Travellers Bungalow which was close the station.I was told by my father that house my father used to stay at Dhanushkodi was also destroyed in the cyclone but some occupants escaped when some naval vessels picked them up. I was told that Tamil weeklies like Ananda Vikatan, Kalki and Tamil Newspapers like Dinamani carried extensive photos and stories of Dhanushkodi cyclone for weeks. What a veritable treasure it would be if we can get hold of at least some of those issues?

The extreme South-western part of Dhanushkodi facing Gulf of Mannar has been steadily submerging even before the 1964 cyclone.I visited Dhanushkodi in Feb 2011 and found the sea on the Gulf of Mannar side from the church about 1/2 km from it. My grandfather was an employee of Southern Railways ,from 1919-1928 or 1929, working at the jetty on the eastern part of Dhanushkodi facing Palk Straits. The Boatmail used to halt there for ferrying passengers to Columbo. My father and his elder brother were born at Dhanushkodi and studied at Dhanushkodi middle school (Which later became High school). After retirement my grandfather settled at Swamimalai. I visited Dhanushkodi in Sep 1964 with my father some months before the cyclone. I was 8 years old then. I still vividly remember the town, its lay-out, its buildings, the bathing ghats, the school my father studied and the Travellers Bungalow which was close the station.I was told by my father that house my father used to stay at Dhanushkodi was also destroyed in the cyclone but some occupants escaped when some naval vessels picked them up. I was told that Tamil weeklies like Ananda Vikatan, Kalki and Tamil Newspapers like Dinamani carried extensive photos and stories of Dhanushkodi cyclone for weeks. What a veritable treasure it would be if we can get hold of at least some of those issues?

Thanks for the information... As I have posted earlier.. I have seen this town just a week before the disaster..and it is really painful memory whenever I visit Dhanushkodi ..which I did No. of times..

TVK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back