• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Devi Saraswathi in Washington DC -Installed by a country of large Muslim Population

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Somayaji.S

[h=1]From npr

A Hindu Goddess Arrives To Bless Embassy Row[/h]
by NPR Staff

June 30, 2013 7:20 AM

[h=3]Listen to the Story[/h]Weekend Edition Sunday
2 min 38 sec

indonesian-embassy-pictures-007_custom-b3e288f0c896e791a41717119243de4d5ea49407-s2-c85.jpg
i i
hide captionThe goddess Saraswati now looks down upon Embassy Row in Washington, D.C.

Sarah Ventre/NPR

The goddess Saraswati now looks down upon Embassy Row in Washington, D.C.
Sarah Ventre/NPR

Embassy Row — otherwise known as Massachusetts Avenue — in Washington, D.C., is decorated with flags of every nation, flying in front of impressive embassy buildings.

In front of the embassies, there are often statues of national heroes. Winston Churchill graces the grounds of the British Embassy. Outside the Indian Embassy, Mahatma Gandhi looks as though he's in full stride, clad in loincloth and sandals.
And now, there's a Hindu goddess. Saraswati just arrived. She stands in a garden in front of Indonesia's embassy, glowing white and gold, with her four arms upraised.

Indonesian Ambassador Dino Patti Djalal says the goal was to stand out from the other embassies.
"I think this is exactly what we wanted to do with Massachusetts Avenue," he says, "add something that would jazz it up."

Saraswati is the goddess of learning and wisdom, Djalal says. At her feet are three children studying. It was crafted by three Balinese sculptors in three weeks.
Her expression is beatific. "This would be the same expression that you would see in Hindu goddesses throughout Bali," Djalal says. "A face of calm ... blessing those who are seeing her."

Although Indonesia is home to the largest population of Muslims in the world, Djalal chose a symbol of the Hindu religion for the embassy in Washington.
"One of the most famous, if not the most famous, islands in Indonesia is Bali," he says. "And Bali is a Hindu enclave in Muslim-majority Indonesia. And I think it says a lot about our respect for religious freedom that the statue in front of the country with the largest Muslim population is a Hindu statue."

hi
i saw this saraswathi statue in DC last month.....its fantastic...awesome too...seeing this and thinking abt indian embassy....

its very sad..we are proud hindu majority country in the world.....our hindu goddess statue put by muslim majority country...

but we want say...WE ARE SECULAR...but mother theresa picture in the embassy is okay?...we are hypocrats...

I am not a big fan of any organized religion. Religion is personal to me, and I presume to most of the rational world. I do not believe in public display of religiosity. I also do not believe in tit-for-tat of childish play. I would not care as to what statue or picture they put in Indian embassy in Washington DC, as long as they improve the customer service and work to improve the image of India. So instead of wasting money on a statue, they should hire a good public relations company to improve the efficiency and Image of India.

And such hypocrites throng this forum too! psecularism oozes through every pore.

hi
i saw this saraswathi statue in DC last month.....its fantastic...awesome too...seeing this and thinking abt indian embassy....

its very sad..we are proud hindu majority country in the world.....our hindu goddess statue put by muslim majority country...

but we want say...WE ARE SECULAR...but mother theresa picture in the embassy is okay?...we are hypocrats...

It is not 'either/or' but 'and'! All purashartas are needed and important. swadharma, samanya dharma and loka dharma are all important. That is hindutva.

Last edited:
hi

Dear TBS garu,

I think I said the same thing before that what does it really matter who put which statue?

Saraswati does not technically belong to us Hindus alone.

So Indonesia has every right to install whatever they like.

BTW I really like the statue..its tall,slim and good looking and not some "homely amma" looking statue.

hi

Your Hindu Goddess..hmm..just as our embassy has Mother Teresa's pic, they have this statue. What's wrong in that? If you are so offended, why don't y'all petition the Indian Embassy to build the biggest Hindu God/ Goddess statue in the world in front of our embassy?

Your Hindu Goddess..hmm..just as our embassy has Mother Teresa's pic, they have this statue. What's wrong in that? If you are so offended, why don't y'all petition the Indian Embassy to build the biggest Hindu God/ Goddess statue in the world in front of our embassy?

One of our Hindutva gang members (Name?) may donate all the snide remarks he makes on behalf of Jan Sangh, and Modi will donate money to build it. He is just waiting for Modi to become the PM. LOL

hi

we are secular country...so we can put JESUS STATUE in front of our embassy...so that we can satisfy to our minorities....

we are pseudo secularism....not real secular....

hi

we are secular country...so we can put JESUS STATUE in front of our embassy...so that we can satisfy to our minorities....

we are pseudo secularism....not real secular....

Tbsji,
Please do not think I have something personal against you, on the contrary I like your posts in general.
But this charge of Pseudo-secularism keeps popping in Hindutva context. I am tired of the ambiguity.

Tbsji,
You seem to have the market cornered for secularism, please tell us what is true secularism?
Then tell us why should a state have a religion. Please don't quote that Pakistan has a state religion or England has a state religion. That is not an explanation.
What is the advantage you are going to get if India is declared a Hindu State? Are we going to "cleanse" India of all other minorities?
Remember you are living in USA and we as American enjoy the benefit of separation of Church and State.

What is real secularism? The country has adopted a constitution which says India is a secular country. The politicians because of the vote banks implement it to their convenience. So we have special privileges for special people, which is wrong. So should we should expect Namo to rectify all these wrong practice? Just because your neighbor got some privilege that you too would like it, and are too weak to get it, you want them stripped of that privilege. What is your GRIPE?

According to Wikipedia:
Secularism is the principle of the separation of government institutions and persons mandated to represent the state from religious institutions and religious dignitaries. One manifestation of secularism is asserting the right to be free from religious rule and teachings, or, in a state declared to be neutral on matters of belief, from the imposition by government of religion or religious practices upon its people.Another manifestation of secularism is the view that public activities and decisions, especially political ones, should remain uninfluenced by religious beliefs and/or practices.

I am secular or even pseudo-secular. I am proud to be one. It’s better than being 'communal' or a religious fanatic. I find it demeaning to be a religious hate-monger and I find it below my dignity to extend any moral support to people who would kill innocent people for religion. I would like to call myself 'secular' but since all shades of the Hindutva crowd also love to define themselves by that term I would be happy with my hyphenated existence.

The pseudo-seculars, the true upholders of Hinduism and the idea of India, for some curious reason, are too unassertive, too defensive and too self-effacing. Maybe humility is part of their culture. But this approach won’t help any more. Indian politics may throw up bigger conflicts, latent and overt, between Hinduism and Hindutva. They should brace for that.

Read more at: http://www.firstpost.com/politics/h...do-secular-552399.html?utm_source=ref_article

So TBSji are you calling for ethnic cleansing and afraid to call a spade as spade?

Ethnic cleansing is the systematic forced removal of ethnic or religious groups from a given territory with the intent of creating a territory inhabited by people of a homogeneous or pure ethnicity, religion, culture, and history. The forces applied may be various forms of forced migration (deportation, population transfer), as well as mass murder, and intimidation.

Ethnic cleansing is usually accompanied with the efforts to remove physical and cultural evidence of the targeted group in the territory through the destruction of homes, social centers, farms, and infrastructure, and by the desecration of monuments, cemeteries, and places of worship.

Initially used by the perpetrators during the Yugoslav Wars and cited in this context as a euphemism akin to that of the "final solution", by the 1990s the term gained widespread acceptance in academic discourse in its generic meaning.

Let us not play the game of politicking with the word secularism.

Last edited:
Tbsji,
Please do not think I have something personal against you, on the contrary I like your posts in general.
But this charge of Pseudo-secularism keeps popping in Hindutva context. I am tired of the ambiguity.

Tbsji,
You seem to have the market cornered for secularism, please tell us what is true secularism?
Then tell us why should a state have a religion. Please don't quote that Pakistan has a state religion or England has a state religion. That is not an explanation.
What is the advantage you are going to get if India is declared a Hindu State? Are we going to "cleanse" India of all other minorities?
Remember you are living in USA and we as American enjoy the benefit of separation of Church and State.

What is real secularism? The country has adopted a constitution which says India is a secular country. The politicians because of the vote banks implement it to their convenience. So we have special privileges for special people, which is wrong. So should we should expect Namo to rectify all these wrong practice? Just because your neighbor got some privilege that you too would like it, and are too weak to get it, you want them stripped of that privilege. What is your GRIPE?

According to Wikipedia:
Secularism is the principle of the separation of government institutions and persons mandated to represent the state from religious institutions and religious dignitaries. One manifestation of secularism is asserting the right to be free from religious rule and teachings, or, in a state declared to be neutral on matters of belief, from the imposition by government of religion or religious practices upon its people.Another manifestation of secularism is the view that public activities and decisions, especially political ones, should remain uninfluenced by religious beliefs and/or practices.

I am secular or even pseudo-secular. I am proud to be one. It’s better than being 'communal' or a religious fanatic. I find it demeaning to be a religious hate-monger and I find it below my dignity to extend any moral support to people who would kill innocent people for religion. I would like to call myself 'secular' but since all shades of the Hindutva crowd also love to define themselves by that term I would be happy with my hyphenated existence.

The pseudo-seculars, the true upholders of Hinduism and the idea of India, for some curious reason, are too unassertive, too defensive and too self-effacing. Maybe humility is part of their culture. But this approach won’t help any more. Indian politics may throw up bigger conflicts, latent and overt, between Hinduism and Hindutva. They should brace for that.

Read more at: http://www.firstpost.com/politics/h...do-secular-552399.html?utm_source=ref_article

So TBSji are you calling for ethnic cleansing and afraid to call a spade as spade?

Ethnic cleansing is the systematic forced removal of ethnic or religious groups from a given territory with the intent of creating a territory inhabited by people of a homogeneous or pure ethnicity, religion, culture, and history. The forces applied may be various forms of forced migration (deportation, population transfer), as well as mass murder, and intimidation.

Ethnic cleansing is usually accompanied with the efforts to remove physical and cultural evidence of the targeted group in the territory through the destruction of homes, social centers, farms, and infrastructure, and by the desecration of monuments, cemeteries, and places of worship.

Initially used by the perpetrators during the Yugoslav Wars and cited in this context as a euphemism akin to that of the "final solution", by the 1990s the term gained widespread acceptance in academic discourse in its generic meaning.

Let us not play the game of politicking with the word secularism.
hi sir,

here in USA...i like american secularism and religious freedom....the first amendment of american constitution gives religious

freedom of worship..here everybody try to follow SECULARISM in a true form...but i am not able to understand indian way

of SECULARISM...a just eye wash....means VERUM KAN THUDAIPPU...

hi sir,

here in USA...i like american secularism and religious freedom....the first amendment of american constitution gives religious

freedom of worship..here everybody try to follow SECULARISM in a true form...but i am not able to understand indian way

of SECULARISM...a just eye wash....means VERUM KAN THUDAIPPU...

You fail to understand that the US is a law abiding society. People use their freedom of worship responsibly. In a Banana Republic like India, deafening screams of Alla Alla 10 times a day disturbs the peace for miles around. The Bible-toting X-ian missionaries also vitiate the atmosphere. But that is how 'sickularism' works in a lawless, anarchic society. You or me cannot change the prevailing order. And so, there's no use complaining.

In the US, secularism is institutionalized. The President's name is Barack Hussain Obama and people never ask him his religion. That is the reflection of a mature society.

You are trying to compare chalk and cheese and trying to find similarities between the two. That will never happen.

Yes, the USA is perhaps the most secular country.

Freedom of speech and freedom of religion are enshrined in and guaranteed by the constitution.

But you also have people like Mathew Staver.

Mathew D. Staver is an American lawyer, and a former Seventh-day Adventist pastor. He is a founding member and Chairman of Liberty Counsel, and dean of Liberty University School of Law.

Liberty Counsel is a non-profit public interest law firm and ministry that provides free legal assistance in defense of "Christian religious liberty, the sanctity of human life, and the traditional family." Liberty University was founded by the famous Rev. Jerry Falwell, an American evangelical Southern Baptist pastor. [Google Jerry Falwell to know what type of person he is.]

Staver has extensive history of complaining that any display of tolerance to anyone who is not a christian is some sort of grievous offense to humanity.

In a March 6th, 2014 interview on VCY (Voice of Christian Youth ) America's Crosstalk, Mat Staver attacked President Obama for being "very pro-homosexual" and "pro-Muslim," as well as for "doing more harm to our foundational, fundamental values than any president in American history."

Recently he complained that the decision to invite the Dalai Lama to give an opening prayer at the Senate, as well as the choice of Hindu USAID official Rajiv Shah to deliver an address at the National Prayer breakfast, showed the president's "insensitivity to Christianity." He continues: "The person to speak, now, for the very first time in the National Prayer Breakfast history was not a Christian, but I believe was Hindu, and didn't mention anything about Christianity or God. This was someone who was picked by Obama."

http://www.examiner.com/article/mat-staver-dalai-llama-visit-hindu-prayer-show-insensitivity-to-christianity

Freedom of speech and freedom of religion are enshrined in and guaranteed by the constitution.

Mathew D. Staver is an American lawyer, and a former Seventh-day Adventist pastor. He is a founding member and Chairman of Liberty Counsel, and dean of Liberty University School of Law.

Liberty Counsel is a non-profit public interest law firm and ministry that provides free legal assistance in defense of "Christian religious liberty, the sanctity of human life, and the traditional family." Liberty University was founded by the famous Rev. Jerry Falwell, an American evangelical Southern Baptist pastor. [Google Jerry Falwell to know what type of person he is.]

Staver has extensive history of complaining that any display of tolerance to anyone who is not a christian is some sort of grievous offense to humanity.

In a March 6th, 2014 interview on VCY (Voice of Christian Youth ) America's Crosstalk, Mat Staver attacked President Obama for being "very pro-homosexual" and "pro-Muslim," as well as for "doing more harm to our foundational, fundamental values than any president in American history."

Recently he complained that the decision to invite the Dalai Lama to give an opening prayer at the Senate, as well as the choice of Hindu USAID official Rajiv Shah to deliver an address at the National Prayer breakfast, showed the president's "insensitivity to Christianity." He continues: "The person to speak, now, for the very first time in the National Prayer Breakfast history was not a Christian, but I believe was Hindu, and didn't mention anything about Christianity or God. This was someone who was picked by Obama."

http://www.examiner.com/article/mat-staver-dalai-llama-visit-hindu-prayer-show-insensitivity-to-christianity

One Matt Staver and you make huge noise. 1.2 Billion casteists and communalists and you say nothing. Ha!

One Matt Staver and you make huge noise. 1.2 Billion casteists and communalists and you say nothing. Ha!
As long as you are also part of that 1.2 billion, there is no hope for India. Just don't get your head buried in the sand and repeat parrot-like "1.2 billion casteists". Hope you are not a mole for those evangelicals or the western media; or suffer from ADHD? ( because my post sounds to you as making a 'big' noise!). You need to visit an anger management specialist to control your petulant, irascible, cantankerous utterances.

Last edited:
Renuka :(quote) "Saraswati does not technically belong to us Hindus alone."

Yes.Devi Saraswathi is Universal Goddess of Learning--Here also many Non-Hindus are slowly evincing interest to know about Lord sri.Ganesa and Goddess Saraswathi.

An African American woman was wearing a chain with a pendant of Lord sri.Ganesa- small Statue.She asked me "Do you know about His powers'?--I said "I do NOT know".

I do not know,why Goddess sri.Lakshmi is Not evincing as much interest as Devi Saraswathi does !!

You fail to understand that the US is a law abiding society. People use their freedom of worship responsibly. In a Banana Republic like India, deafening screams of Alla Alla 10 times a day disturbs the peace for miles around. The Bible-toting X-ian missionaries also vitiate the atmosphere. But that is how 'sickularism' works in a lawless, anarchic society. You or me cannot change the prevailing order. And so, there's no use complaining.

In the US, secularism is institutionalized. The President's name is Barack Hussain Obama and people never ask him his religion. That is the reflection of a mature society.

You are trying to compare chalk and cheese and trying to find similarities between the two. That will never happen.
That is very deeming to India and Indians in general. Just because usa has a black president it does not mean there is no discrimination or racial prejudice in USA.
Secondly India has had Hindu, Muslim, Sikh, Dalit, and every shade of Indians as Presidents of India.

USA is not a perfect country. There are room for improvement. But that freedom is what the American in general like.

USA is not a perfect country. There are room for improvement. But that freedom is what the American in general like.

Agreed. So do Indians. But since there are just too many to compete for the limited pot (whatever it is), freedom takes a backseat. As to Americans, Edward Snowden seems to be
one among those concerned with what is going on. And then you have Ted Cruz, Marc Rubio, et al.

Last edited:
During our last visit to DC, we do not recall seeing that pretty statue. Is it a new one?

It is not just this one guy. There are many many more such people. What was posted was merely a sampler.

Forewarned (about such things) is fore-armed. In the ultimate analysis:

If you don't have a seat at the dining table then you will certainly be on the menu!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back