• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Deterioration in english communication skills

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sastri

I have interacted with numerous men and women cutting across a kaleidoscope of professions, linguistic groups, age groups, generation groups, cultural groups etc and to my utter dismay I discovered an exasperating deterioration in communication skills especially in English language.

During the times we were in school and college, much emphasis was laid on communication skills especially English. We went through rigours exercises perfecting our grammar skills, vocabulary, fluency etc.

In the recent decades, with mushrooming of call centres offering customer service to English speaking customers, a proportionate emergence of institutions offering soft skills inevitably comprising of English accent skills prevails. Yet the communication skills of the current mid 20s generation is paradoxically poor and in some instances pathetic.

I work in an IT organization of repute where hundreds of Team Leaders, Project Managers who are skilled in their relevant area of work yet are lacking in communication skills. They dont speak proper English and commit grammatical errors irritating to the core.

Whither this trend?

Does it not need an arrest and does not development of skills in communication need a revival !!!!!!

Please share your views.

I have interacted with numerous men and women cutting across a kaleidoscope of professions, linguistic groups, age groups, generation groups, cultural groups etc and to my utter dismay I discovered an exasperating deterioration in communication skills especially in English language.

During the times we were in school and college, much emphasis was laid on communication skills especially English. We went through rigours exercises perfecting our grammar skills, vocabulary, fluency etc.

In the recent decades, with mushrooming of call centres offering customer service to English speaking customers, a proportionate emergence of institutions offering soft skills inevitably comprising of English accent skills prevails. Yet the communication skills of the current mid 20s generation is paradoxically poor and in some instances pathetic.

I work in an IT organization of repute where hundreds of Team Leaders, Project Managers who are skilled in their relevant area of work yet are lacking in communication skills. They dont speak proper English and commit grammatical errors irritating to the core.

Whither this trend?

Does it not need an arrest and does not development of skills in communication need a revival !!!!!!

Please share your views.

Shri Sastri sir,

I studies in Kerala Government schools and when I passed my SSLC, I knew hardly anything about English. College education was through English medium but it did not improve my English even a little bit. I went to Mumbai (then, Bombay) in search of a job with my certificates and got a factory job in an American company. Only from moving with my colleagues who were all very well-versed in speaking English (mostly Goans and Anglo-Indians and Parsis) and after being the butt of many of their jokes, that I studied English.

Today's youngsters who work in the IT sector lack the humility and perseverence to learn English. I know from reliable sources that Intel started a testing and research unit in India and ultimately many Kerala and TN people had to be sent off en-masse because of their horrible English. The high salaries makes today's youngsters think that they have already "arrived" and that they don't need any further improvement.

Since the IT sector is now on a decline, this lack of English may not pose much of a problem in future.

I am surprised that there is lack of English communication skills in India as in the OP...isn't English the medium of instruction in Indian schools?

Out here in Malaysia none of us study in English medium..we study in Malay medium and we speak fairly good English.

The first time ever I studied in English was when I studied in India for my MBBS.

Out here Courts run in Malay only..English is not used in Courts and in Government departments.

Some private sector run by Chinese managements use Mandarin.

Last edited:

I think use the 'chatting language' spoils the existing English knowledge too.

Grammar and spellings are forgotten because of this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back